It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
denisdman wrote:
He has a tendency of doing that with football too especially if he has a pro player, coach or expert on. Instead of saying blocking or receiving tight end, they will use that Y or U tight end lingo. Or instead of saying nose guard or DT they will say three technique. And honestly, the majority of the audience is like “what”.

“This player has A gap responsibilities.” Okay gotcha.

Didn’t LoHo used to bring somebody on to dissect game film using coach speak and in-game lingo?

Arguably nothing better than a guy re-watching a short run to describe it on radio in a language you don’t understand.

They must do it to try to sound smart. Maybe some guys around hear understand all the modern lingo. But I played a lot of football and watched plenty like most here, but NFL lingo is not part of my knowledge base. We called all this stuff something else because we were running 5-4 defenses in pee wee and 4-3 in HS and wishbone offenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
denisdman wrote:
He has a tendency of doing that with football too especially if he has a pro player, coach or expert on. Instead of saying blocking or receiving tight end, they will use that Y or U tight end lingo. Or instead of saying nose guard or DT they will say three technique. And honestly, the majority of the audience is like “what”.

Didn’t LoHo used to bring somebody on to dissect game film using coach speak and in-game lingo?

Arguably nothing better than a guy re-watching a short run to describe it on radio in a language you don’t understand.

That may have been Matt Bowen, whose voice sounds identical to Doug Buffone, so he didn't seem as condescending as Sir or Bernstein. He was the first person I heard talk about the Cover-0.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:43 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
"Three-technique" because Bear Bryant didn't know what the word "technique" meant.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
There is an all-time great clip floating around of Grobber trying to describe the 3-technique to a caller and it's hilariously clear he has no idea what it means (which is no big deal unless you are trying to pretend you do know). Parkins has played it before but I can't find it on youtube.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Jaw Breaker wrote:
There is an all-time great clip floating around of Grobber trying to describe the 3-technique to a caller and it's hilariously clear he has no idea what it means (which is no big deal unless you are trying to pretend you do know). Parkins has played it before but I can't find it on youtube.

Yup. I thought they used to play that all the time on M&H. If memory serves, caller asks the question, Grobber spends 30 seconds saying nothing and caller thanks him.

Great radio.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Jaw Breaker wrote:
denisdman wrote:

That may have been Matt Bowen, whose voice sounds identical to Doug Buffone, so he didn't seem as condescending as Sir or Bernstein. He was the first person I heard talk about the Cover-0.

I think you're right. That was the Matt Bowen Film Room. I don't know what's worse, a radio segment that contains the words "film room" that is completely loaded with inaccessible jargon, or the fact that I sat there and listened to it on more than one occasion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Warren Newson wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I think you're right. That was the Matt Bowen Film Room. I don't know what's worse, a radio segment that contains the words "film room" that is completely loaded with inaccessible jargon, or the fact that I sat there and listened to it on more than one occasion.

Bowen offered trenchant analysis. He used to say that "what the Bears coaching staff wants is football players."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:22 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Yes, I know exactly which one you're talking about. He's half-reading off the first result of a google search (I found it myself), but he doesn't comprehend the words as he's reading them and it shows, and then when he tries to bluff as if he does grasp what he's reading, he makes the situation worse. The pros and cons of having the world at your fingertips all in one clip. Imagine that call in 1994.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:04 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
denisdman wrote:

The real key to these phrases for a guy like Bernstein is to make it sound scientific. Technique is a perfect example. There are more definite ways to describe the position but technique makes him sound like someone at NASA helped to devise the position.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
dan on a roll...today telling us that he changed the ingredients in one of his recipes:

refuses to buy goya products now, i think in this case, goya beans. dan has a problem with the hispanic-american ceo of goya who publicly backed trump. he didn't say that's the reason, but, it's the obvious inference.

dan believes in only one political party and you must be cancelled if you support the opposition?? does dan believe the ceo is a self-loathing hispanic? a racist? not very american. sounds like a true bolshevik..the mensheviks are on the run now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Just wait til he finds out Cameron Hughes donated to the Alan Keyes campaign.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:03 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
dan on a roll...today telling us that he changed the ingredients in one of his recipes:

refuses to buy goya products now, i think in this case, goya beans. dan has a problem with the hispanic-american ceo of goya who publicly backed trump. he didn't say that's the reason, but, it's the obvious inference.

dan believes in only one political party and you must be cancelled if you support the opposition?? does dan believe the ceo is a self-loathing hispanic? a racist? not very american. sounds like a true bolshevik..the mensheviks are on the run now.

i haven't listened to him in over a decade except snippets on podcast if he has a guest i want to hear. but ya, this is one of many reasons why i don't listen to the guy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:18 am 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

Huh?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:42 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Guys like Bernstein and Parkins try to use this type lingo to make it sound like they actually have some type of insight into football, but if you actually know the intricacies of basic football line play you quickly realize they know nothing about the subject. An educated eye can instantly tell who is playing with sound technique, if you watch the Bears closely you see that the NT position is key for them, Goldman was big enough and played low enough to occupy the O line which allowed LB's to flow to the ball and for Hicks/Nichols to get up field and make plays. Hicks tends to stand straight up and gets turned often, and Nichols get blown off the ball frequently, opening up gaping run lanes. The biggest failure under Pagano was with the OLB's who almost always came straight up the field, losing all outside gap control, allowing bootleg plays to kill them.

When the guys on the D line stop playing sound technique and simply are stat hunting you will get the occasional tackle for loss, but you more often expose your D by opening huge lanes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Candlelight
SJW Dan was going off on the NBA today re: COVID. Seems he doesn't approve of how the Commissioner is handling things and the planned All-Star game.

Evidently he has become the sports world's expert on appropriate COVID protocols.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
At least he stopped saying only listen to doctors blah blah blah. I hate when he gets stuck on a phrase.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:54 pm 

pittmike wrote:
At least he stopped saying only listen to doctors blah blah blah. I hate when he gets stuck on a phrase.

only listen to people who listen to doctors.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.