It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 77  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

Were you offended (or could you be) by the Harry Caray hologram? Seemed to be a serious concern of Holmes/Bernstein...Even Parkins/Speigel didn't think that was a serious concern.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nardi wrote:
I think everybody understands the lines that can't be crossed. Stone doesn't need WSCR, WSCR needs him.

I think they should clarify this. For a show that spends entire segments on something Stone says during a broadcast to use as attacks on La Russa, and then never ask any direct question....I think I know the answer to this question, but would love to know if this is a station policy (i.e. topics that are off-limits). Would be very interesting to hear them address this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
BD wrote:
The show spends entire segments and large portions of shows telling us how bad Tony La Russa is. They like to link comments that Steve Stone says on the broadcast to their feelings on Tony La Russa.

When they have Steve Stone on, they do not attack Tony La Russa or ask Stone to comment on him. The most direct reference to La Russa was Bernstein, who, in a question to Stone about the team's focus/short-comings, mentioned that the "manager doesn't understand leverage". He didn't ask Stone whether he agrees, neither host asks Stone any direct questions about La Russa, but talk about it when they spend an entire segment with him talking about hustling.

Do other shows ask Stone direct questions about La Russa? Is this a policy or a request by Stone to not ask questions about the manager?

They are obsessed with La Russa, and why wouldn't they be, he fits the entire evil old white guy narrative, guys like La Russa are public enemy number one for the SJW's of the world, and Berstein has appointed himself as their leader.

It also gives Larry Holmes something to drone on and on about. It makes for mind numbingly bad radio, but you can do yourself a favor by not listening or PTFB as soon as you hear them mention the White Sox because you know where all Sox talk will end up eventually on the current, but seemingly short lived given the track record of both hosts, WSCR mid-day show.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:37 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
BD wrote:
( i.e. they can't mention Cease anymore without saying he is a nut on the right)

??? Where the hell did that narrative come from ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Panino's
badrogue17 wrote:
BD wrote:
( i.e. they can't mention Cease anymore without saying he is a nut on the right)

??? Where the hell did that narrative come from ?

Because of some people he follows on twitter, and the lack of vaccination.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
This show really is awful. Holmes adds nothing. He is just a dumbed-down, less funny version of Bernstein.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Larry Holmes has mentioned repeatedly he immediately cut back dramatically or stopped going to White Sox games when TLR was named manager. He's pretty open it wasn't baseball related but what TLR represents.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

Bernstein: Thankfully, the Bears are back which makes watching the White Sox less horrible to watch.
Holmes: The White Sox weren't horrible this weekend. They swept the series.
Bernstein: No, they were.
Holmes: Yeah, you're right.

*Paraphrasing, but very close to the conversation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I listened for a few minutes today. Leery is such an awkward nerd. In the 5 minutes I heard, he turned a dumb Bernstein one-off joke - something about the Cueto Experience jazz ensemble - into a minutes long, let’s-explain-the-joke type segment.

It was like somebody taking the “And members of ___” one liner and turning it into one of those terribly unfunny Netflix specials where the “comedy” is a recitation of some sort of childhood trauma.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Enzo's big fat fucking chicken parm rolls
Really enjoyed bernstein insinuating multiple times that this city REALLY likes Jack Sanborn due to his whiteness. As if the entire fanbase isn't praying to god the black QB succeeds.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I listened for a few minutes today. Leery is such an awkward nerd. In the 5 minutes I heard, he turned a dumb Bernstein one-off joke - something about the Cueto Experience jazz ensemble - into a minutes long, let’s-explain-the-joke type segment.

It was like somebody taking the “And members of ___” one liner and turning it into one of those terribly unfunny Netflix specials where the “comedy” is a recitation of some sort of childhood trauma.

He had to show Dan that he "got" his joke.

I've tried listening a few times. It's horrible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

The laughing by Laurence is completely out of control. I don't really care if they feel the need to laugh at each other, if they feel that makes the show more fun and laughable. Fine, I get it. What he does is completely fake. There's no way that he finds everything so funny that he goes on his out of control laughing that goes on and on like he has heard the funniest thing (10 times a show).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

TriColoredPastas wrote:
Really enjoyed bernstein insinuating multiple times that this city REALLY likes Jack Sanborn due to his whiteness. As if the entire fanbase isn't praying to god the black QB succeeds.

Everything about this show typically goes back to racism. It's not as in your face as it was with Goff, but Holmes thinks he's a professor and both of them have no issue of accusing anyone who has different views as being a racist.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:46 pm 

BD wrote:
The laughing by Laurence is completely out of control. I don't really care if they feel the need to laugh at each other, if they feel that makes the show more fun and laughable. Fine, I get it. What he does is completely fake. There's no way that he finds everything so funny that he goes on his out of control laughing that goes on and on like he has heard the funniest thing (10 times a show).

It’s his worst habit from my perspective. The loud cackling is immediate ptfb stuff.

I think it’s a nervous twitch, on account of his being an extremely awkward nerd.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:53 am 

Good f'ing God, what an awful listen. For as little patience as Bernstein has historically had for callers, I don't know how he sits there and listens to Larry's insane cackling - super serious voice - and incessant attempts to shine a light on just how important and accomplished he thinks he is.

It reminds me of Boers, and me wondering how he sat there and just nodded and agreed with Bernstein all those years. The difference, of course, is that Terry was funny and likeable - Dan is not.

Someone needs to kick Mitch directly in the nuts for this show - it's awful. Like really, really bad.

The self importance, the fawning over guests, the horrid attempts at humor (and the ensuing driving into the ground of said attempts), it is stunning that anyone could listen to this and claim it's either fun/entertaining or informative.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: What??
You guys demand excellence and it's just not out there. When, on the offhand chance there is, it gets ripped. Paypal, Tesla, SpaceX.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:29 pm 

TriColoredPastas wrote:

Isn't that the exact same thing the people who say "I never saw anyone who looked like me" in an industry are saying?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:34 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
TriColoredPastas wrote:

Isn't that the exact same thing the people who say "I never saw anyone who looked like me" in an industry are saying?

I like it. Jack Sanborn finally makes me feel like I’m seen and that becoming an NFL linebacker isn’t impossible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:25 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Dan legitimately couldn't understand why Asian kids thought Jeremy Lin was cool.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:42 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Dan legitimately couldn't understand why Asian kids thought Jeremy Lin was cool.

Didn’t Linsanity lead to the “don’t like it” phone call, when neither B nor B would entertain a caller comparing Jeremy Lin to Michael Jordan?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:24 am 

good dolphin wrote:
TriColoredPastas wrote:

Have to be careful because most of the "takes" you get from lil' Danny (can insert Parkins/Bernstein it matters not) are fabrications created in the often bizarre world of sports talk where you have an overwhelming oversampling of white jewish kids from privileged backgrounds giving you "sports thoughts" filtered through a prism that only people who grew up in an environment where their greatest worry was that Jeeves would not use wipes from the wipe warmer when he wiped their asses, or if the maid used the right starch when she ironed their Calvin Klein undies.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Bernstein & Parkins were spoon-fed by their nannies, and shoe laces tied by the butler well into their teens I'm guessing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
don't understand that way of thinking...i'm thinking they blindly follow the sjw flowchart. they insult their own parents and immediate family who went to school, followed the rules, kept their noses clean and are 1960's-1980's defined as 'successful', where as in 2020's, they are 'privileged'.

the mix gets more bizarre when all forms of traditional american nationalism/patriotism are mocked, because for centuries any nationalism in europe was perceived as a potential threat to non-christians.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: New Mexico has no good pizza. Send help.
BD wrote:
Were you offended (or could you be) by the Harry Caray hologram? Seemed to be a serious concern of Holmes/Bernstein...Even Parkins/Speigel didn't think that was a serious concern.

100 percent disgusted. Embarrassingly bad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:08 am 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
don't understand that way of thinking...i'm thinking they blindly follow the sjw flowchart. they insult their own parents and immediate family who went to school, followed the rules, kept their noses clean and are 1960's-1980's defined as 'successful', where as in 2020's, they are 'privileged'.

the mix gets more bizarre when all forms of traditional american nationalism/patriotism are mocked, because for centuries any nationalism in europe was perceived as a potential threat to non-christians.

Always find the hatred of patriotism to be interesting, there are very few places in the world where members of the Jewish faith are safe, of those places the US is the primary and only place with the military strength to actually protect and defend Israel, and while you may think the unwashed masses in flyover country are evil white racist that must be treated with scorn at every turn, those evil white racists do come in handy when you need people patriotic enough to die for the country that is protecting you. It's almost a form of self-hatred, how did their self-appointed smartest people in any room they enter pals in Europe respond the last time someone came for the Jews?

The only thing that stopped Hitler was millions of Russian peasants and a bunch of the evil white racist people here in the US they look down their noses at every day, but it seems that the need to fit into some type of odd social construct where certain groups are always bad and other groups can do no wrong supersedes any and all logic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
yes, it's a dangerous game...due to the fact that the native citizens (by default and militant) pick up on the scorn heaped upon them - for simply having a holiday or a national icon.

the fly-overs you talk about are some of israel's staunchest defenders. the 2nd coming can only occur if the jews live on and control the land between this river and that mountain. these fundamentalist christians that bernstein constantly mocks are more zionist than many jews.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:29 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Yeah, but they're Zionist for stupid reasons. Do you think they care about Israelis as real people and not just props in a play they're putting on? I don't.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
vitoscotti wrote:
Bernstein & Parkins were spoon-fed by their nannies, and shoe laces tied by the butler well into their teens I'm guessing.

You haven't ever been to Deerfield, have you?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:39 am 

Also remember reading the Japanese had war gamed invading the US, but thought there were so many armed crackers in the South that their losses would be too high to merit and actual land invasion.

You add that up with the fact that the crackers making up the Iron Brigade who happened to be pretty handy with rifles held their ground in crucial battles which helped sway the Civil War, and you kinda see that they really need the fly over crackers more than the fly over crackers need them, in fact the fly over crackers have bailed their asses out repeatedly when their mouths start writing checks their asses can't cash, and more than likely will have to do it again.

Instead of belittling these folks they should be on their knees thanking them for keeping this country from being invaded by people that would have no trouble killing each and every one of them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Enzo's big fat fucking chicken parm rolls
I really thought dan's presence would have reminded leery that he is a little too old to be as into comic book culture as he is. What I knew was that holmes' addition would only enable bernstein to parrot thoughts from what he believes to be the cultural wind. Except that Twitter is not a cultural barometer, but a funhouse mirror that you can cherry pick from. The phrase 'Stick to sports." has somehow been demonized but it really is true. Shut the fuck up and stick to sports. Shut the fuck up. We don't care.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2285 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 77  Next