It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2218 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 74  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Had to drive to Indy today, figured I would give Dan's show a listen. I heard it all, from transition with Mully & Haugh (where Dan was beautifully cornered by Haugh given Dan's contention that Aldrich's name should be left on the cup as reminder to feel shame, and his preening on twitter about how his stupid kid covered up the Blackhawks logo on his key chain and how that was Actually Great) to transition with LoHo. This show sucks beyond belief.

First, Leila sounds like garbage. Her EQ is terrible compared to Dan's and there's absolutely no punch to her sound. And I don't know what's causing it, but she constantly has this "gum mouth" sound that makes it sound as though she's got cotton balls in her mouth or she's chewing on a big piece of gum while trying to speak.

Second, their chemistry is STILL terrible, and this show has been going on how long? Today, multiple times while discussing the Bulls, Dan was pontificating about some super-basketbally point or another, and ended with that downward inflection common to radio hosts signaling that they have completed their sentence/thought, and it's the partner's turn to either keep the conversation going, do a read, throw to a break, whatever. Except instead of doing any of that, there were multiple-second pauses of completely dead air, then Leila went on about some almost completely unrelated tangent, like her feelings about the atmosphere of the game, at the conclusion of which she used the same inflection cue and Dan did the exact same multi-second pause that she did to him. Then, later, Dan made another x-and-o point about the game, and Leila gave it a few beats and went right back to the atmosphere angle. At multiple times throughout the show, on multiple topics, it sounded like there were just two people taking turns giving their sports thoughts to no one in particular.

Thirdly, like MANY of Dan's previous shows since B&B, the only time either host showed an ounce of passion was in doing Sexual Assault Radio, which came complete with a full read of a brooding email from Stonecutter! SJW Radio is alive and well.

Finally, Dan works way too stiff for Leila. She wasn't afraid to make a little fun of herself and talk about social media hijinks, she even turned a horribly boring story from Dan about not liking Hostess Cherry Pies anymore because, "maybe the cherries got too expensive" into a riff on how one could make their own cherry pie strudel type of deal. Dan's response (after trying multiple times to interject while Leila was riffing)? "Maybe YOU'RE the reason cherries are so expensive!"

I say this all to say that Leila isn't objectively bad, she's at least Just Fine as a host, could maybe be more if she doesn't leave for another TV gig, and she checks the right boxes. Dan's best years are obviously well behind him, and if you want to make Leila the future of middays on the station, fine, but these two cannot work together and create a cohesive, entertaining radio show.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

Rahimi is likeable as a host and is sports fan. She isn't an expert in anything, probably knows less than most of the more dedicated listeners. However, she laughs a lot and seems like a good person which probably contrasts well with Bernstein.

Bernstein can't keep his politics out of his sports takes and she isn't going to do anything other than agree.

I still just struggle to understand why I want Bernstein's horrible political/social thoughts sprinkled on random topics.

I'll give Rahimi that she is probably a nice person and hot. That's fine, and that will probably get some level of audience, but I don't really care her views on sports (just like I don't care Bernstein's positions on any of his ultra liberal horrible takes).

The station went off the rails a long time ago and haven't returned.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:19 pm 

BD wrote:
Rahimi is likeable as a host and is sports fan. She isn't an expert in anything, probably knows less than most of the more dedicated listeners. However, she laughs a lot and seems like a good person which probably contrasts well with Bernstein.

Bernstein can't keep his politics out of his sports takes and she isn't going to do anything other than agree.

I still just struggle to understand why I want Bernstein's horrible political/social thoughts sprinkled on random topics.

I'll give Rahimi that she is probably a nice person and hot. That's fine, and that will probably get some level of audience, but I don't really care her views on sports (just like I don't care Bernstein's positions on any of his ultra liberal horrible takes).

The station went off the rails a long time ago and haven't returned.

Yeah, she is likeable/relatable, completely unlike Dan. You don't need to be an absolute sports expert to be am entertaining sports radio host. Maybe Leila has that right now, but Dan definitely doesn't anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I heard the tranny with LoHo the past two days (despite swearing off Bernstein).

It’s honestly the least entertaining threesome I can imagine. Both days they were talking about food and it was filled with each hosts’ worst personality traits: LoHo’s obnoxious fake laugh, Bernstein over intellectualizing crappy food, Rahimi airing ethnic grievances…

It’s like a boring version of NPR.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:23 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I caught a little on Monday and it's really bad. They have the timing of a Zoom call, except I don't think it's a Zoom call and it's just that Leila takes a second or two to compose a thought. It's a mirthless and perfunctory show.

I feel like the Score as a whole has been dragged out past its expiration date. They may as well just run a satellite feed of sports gambling news rather than keep propping up the corpse of "sports talk radio" as we knew it. It sucks bad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:35 pm 

Rahimi seems excessively concerned with being funny/witty. I’ve long thought it’s a shitty trait Erin Andrew’s introduced to broadcasting, but every female sports personality tries to act like a 20yr old sarcastic gay guy.

Every response is quippy to the point I have no idea what she actually thinks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Who listens to sports radio?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
I caught a little on Monday and it's really bad. They have the timing of a Zoom call, except I don't think it's a Zoom call and it's just that Leila takes a second or two to compose a thought. It's a mirthless and perfunctory show.

I feel like the Score as a whole has been dragged out past its expiration date. They may as well just run a satellite feed of sports gambling news rather than keep propping up the corpse of "sports talk radio" as we knew it. It sucks bad.

It was nice seeing mirthless and perfunctory used to describe something else outside of my bedroom abilities

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:52 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Did you guys actually think it was a possibility this show would be good? They teamed a lady with a joyless Jew.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:52 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:

I don’t get that much time in the car these days, but I still listen. It sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
At some point you gotta let it go.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Stupid kid covered logo on keychain. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Jbi11s wrote:

I’ll admit to listening a bit more with the Bears clusterfuck, the revived Bulls, and the Hawks scandal.

Bernsie’s show has no flow. The lady is fine. Her voice is a bit annoying, but no worse than a Silvy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:12 pm 

pittmike wrote:

The exchange between the two was brilliant, I don't even think Dan knew he was being set up (and maybe Haugh didn't know he was setting anyone up, who knows). But it went something like this:

Bernstein: Rocky's letter is worthless, they should keep his name on there so everyone sees it and knows for all time that this is what happened.

Haugh: I appreciate you passion Dan, but counterpoint: You said on Twitter that your son covered up the Blackhawks logo on his keychain in response to this because he didn't want to be reminded of what the organization has done. Given your logic on the Stanley Cup, shouldn't you argue that your son uncover that logo and be forced to face the shame of the Blackhawks logo that he feels every time he looks at it?

Bernstein: I can't tell him what to do. Every person deals with trauma like this in their own way and That's OK.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
His son is traumatized by this? That would be a pretty strong response for a fan that is in no way connected to Beach or any of the bad actors in this mess.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:21 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I heard the tranny with LoHo the past two days (despite swearing off Bernstein).

It’s honestly the least entertaining threesome I can imagine. Both days they were talking about food and it was filled with each hosts’ worst personality traits: LoHo’s obnoxious fake laugh, Bernstein over intellectualizing crappy food, Rahimi airing ethnic grievances…

LoHo is my guy but I think I recall haring the fake laugh you're talking about: the one where he steps away from the mic and cackles into the studio ether because he thinks whatever was just said is So Funny.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:23 pm 

denisdman wrote:
His son is traumatized by this? That would be a pretty strong response for a fan that is in no way connected to Beach or any of the bad actors in this mess.

No Denis, you don't understand, as Dan reminded the listeners, his son has a picture of himself at his first Blackhawks game that was given to him by John McDonough. How is a teenager supposed to survive this?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:26 pm 

Given that John McDonough himself personally bent over backwards to get Dan Bernstein to stop calling Hawks fans white supremacists on the radio, I can see where the Bernstein household might feel guilty about all the free stuff the most culpable member of the coverup gave them.

EDIT: remember that in 2009, "white supremacist" had teeth, it wasn't just something that one-third of the country called another third of the country casually

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I listened a bit this week. Dan is in all of his Penn State glory—he almost seems too into these male rape stories.

Florio was on one day, and he brings his politics in as well. They have Daniel Snyder teed up as their next target for cancelling. “Congress needs to act!” Really? I’d like Congress to concern themselves with competing with China, supply chain issues, etc. The WFT’s cheerleader scandal should be pretty far down their list.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:51 pm 

Yeah, but Dan Snyder is a monster, though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:57 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, but Dan Snyder is a monster, though.

He cut down trees. People forget that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:19 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Heisenberg wrote:
I listened a bit this week. Dan is in all of his Penn State glory—he almost seems too into these male rape stories.

Florio was on one day, and he brings his politics in as well. They have Daniel Snyder teed up as their next target for cancelling. “Congress needs to act!” Really? I’d like Congress to concern themselves with competing with China, supply chain issues, etc. The WFT’s cheerleader scandal should be pretty far down their list.

I get it, but the NFL is a multi-billion dollar business with an antitrust exemption. Congress asking them questions is kind of what they do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:22 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
pittmike wrote:

The exchange between the two was brilliant, I don't even think Dan knew he was being set up (and maybe Haugh didn't know he was setting anyone up, who knows). But it went something like this:

Bernstein: Rocky's letter is worthless, they should keep his name on there so everyone sees it and knows for all time that this is what happened.

Haugh: I appreciate you passion Dan, but counterpoint: You said on Twitter that your son covered up the Blackhawks logo on his keychain in response to this because he didn't want to be reminded of what the organization has done. Given your logic on the Stanley Cup, shouldn't you argue that your son uncover that logo and be forced to face the shame of the Blackhawks logo that he feels every time he looks at it?

Bernstein: I can't tell him what to do. Every person deals with trauma like this in their own way and That's OK.

That was a good exchange. Haugh had him good and Bernsie knew it and deflected

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

Bernstein: ANAL. RAPE. IS. BAD

Leila: I agree.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
his preening on twitter about how his stupid kid covered up the Blackhawks logo on his key chain and how that was Actually Great

I suppose simply using a different keychain wouldn't garner much of a reaction on social media.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:09 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
that's the cody decker keychain, his MLB career highlites are on the fob.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:15 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub

i heard a bit of the transition between house of L and parkins & spiegel today. i think parkins was spot on about halloween being a 'suburban' holiday now. holmes told us his mom wouldn't let him treat-or-treat outside of her range of vision and the daily white privilege factoid came last - they asked parkins how halloween was as a kid, in glencoe.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:22 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

i heard a bit of the transition between house of L and parkins & spiegel today. i think parkins was spot on about halloween being a 'suburban' holiday now. holmes told us his mom wouldn't let him treat-or-treat outside of her range of vision and the daily white privilege factoid came last - they asked parkins how halloween was as a kid, in glencoe.

The whole trunk or treat thing sucks, wandering around gathering candy and then stealing the good stuff from your younger siblings or trading with buddies was one of the more enjoyable aspects of my hapless youth.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:57 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

Similar transition between Bernstein and Holmes yesterday. Comparing trick or treating in Deerfield as compared to Leery's neighborhood. It was actually kind of funny.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
They're just not entertaining as sports personalities or interesting as people. Unless Leila chooses to leave, I don't think the Score is making any changes. But, I also didn't think McKnight was going anywhere and they let him go.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2218 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 74  Next