It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 77  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Jaw Breaker wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
he doesn't like small hands (fields)

Maybe that's why he fumbles so much.

good point, could be. his hands won't grow, so, he'll always be undersized.

having passes tipped at the line, ints by DL...he may not be undersized, but he plays undersized? sidearm throws don't help.

today, i do give the show kudos for the karate kid stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
VI wrote:
I love that Leila keeps on calling last night's game, NBA. OMG, is that getting under Dan's skin. The idea that the NBA has multiple standards for what's a foul, oooh don't bring that up,

It's almost impossible to play pass defense against Brady, if you touch him you get a roughing the passer call, his WR's are allowed to run pick plays or push off with flags coming for defensive PI if the pass is incomplete, and the mysterious illegal contact call which is the ultimate bail out call for guys like Rodgers and Brady to keep failed drives alive. The NFL wants the franchise QB's to succeed and the league goes out its way to protect and coddle them, one of the reasons you want to get your QB to be recognized at that level, it gives you at least 2-3 free first downs per game in key situations.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:36 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
VI wrote:
I love that Leila keeps on calling last night's game, NBA. OMG, is that getting under Dan's skin. The idea that the NBA has multiple standards for what's a foul, oooh don't bring that up,

It's almost impossible to play pass defense against Brady, if you touch him you get a roughing the passer call, his WR's are allowed to run pick plays or push off with flags coming for defensive PI if the pass is incomplete, and the mysterious illegal contact call which is the ultimate bail out call for guys like Rodgers and Brady to keep failed drives alive. The NFL wants the franchise QB's to succeed and the league goes out its way to protect and coddle them, one of the reasons you want to get your QB to be recognized at that level, it gives you at least 2-3 free first downs per game in key situations.

That is why teams are getting free shots at Fields. Hopefully by next year he is on the protected list.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Had to drive to Indy today, figured I would give Dan's show a listen. I heard it all, from transition with Mully & Haugh (where Dan was beautifully cornered by Haugh given Dan's contention that Aldrich's name should be left on the cup as reminder to feel shame, and his preening on twitter about how his stupid kid covered up the Blackhawks logo on his key chain and how that was Actually Great) to transition with LoHo. This show sucks beyond belief.

First, Leila sounds like garbage. Her EQ is terrible compared to Dan's and there's absolutely no punch to her sound. And I don't know what's causing it, but she constantly has this "gum mouth" sound that makes it sound as though she's got cotton balls in her mouth or she's chewing on a big piece of gum while trying to speak.

Second, their chemistry is STILL terrible, and this show has been going on how long? Today, multiple times while discussing the Bulls, Dan was pontificating about some super-basketbally point or another, and ended with that downward inflection common to radio hosts signaling that they have completed their sentence/thought, and it's the partner's turn to either keep the conversation going, do a read, throw to a break, whatever. Except instead of doing any of that, there were multiple-second pauses of completely dead air, then Leila went on about some almost completely unrelated tangent, like her feelings about the atmosphere of the game, at the conclusion of which she used the same inflection cue and Dan did the exact same multi-second pause that she did to him. Then, later, Dan made another x-and-o point about the game, and Leila gave it a few beats and went right back to the atmosphere angle. At multiple times throughout the show, on multiple topics, it sounded like there were just two people taking turns giving their sports thoughts to no one in particular.

Thirdly, like MANY of Dan's previous shows since B&B, the only time either host showed an ounce of passion was in doing Sexual Assault Radio, which came complete with a full read of a brooding email from Stonecutter! SJW Radio is alive and well.

Finally, Dan works way too stiff for Leila. She wasn't afraid to make a little fun of herself and talk about social media hijinks, she even turned a horribly boring story from Dan about not liking Hostess Cherry Pies anymore because, "maybe the cherries got too expensive" into a riff on how one could make their own cherry pie strudel type of deal. Dan's response (after trying multiple times to interject while Leila was riffing)? "Maybe YOU'RE the reason cherries are so expensive!"

I say this all to say that Leila isn't objectively bad, she's at least Just Fine as a host, could maybe be more if she doesn't leave for another TV gig, and she checks the right boxes. Dan's best years are obviously well behind him, and if you want to make Leila the future of middays on the station, fine, but these two cannot work together and create a cohesive, entertaining radio show.

I came on here to essentially say the same things, but JLN and Curious have already captured the exact issues with this show. Zero chemistry, Leila doesn't seem to have strong sports takes (but isn't really consistenly funny enough to be that kind of host either) and Dan is neither being driven by somebody to be better or driven by somebody to be funnier.

I can't believe they've stayed together at this point and I can only hope that some where in the shadows Ronge is lurking, ready to return and make Dan moderately funny again. Send him off into the sunset that way. This is just painful and unlistenable.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
My response watching Adriana Chechik was like watching a great Earl Campbell run. My response was "wow," "ohhh," "oww!" - Dan Bernstein

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Enzo's big fat fucking chicken parm rolls
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Had to drive to Indy today, figured I would give Dan's show a listen. I heard it all, from transition with Mully & Haugh (where Dan was beautifully cornered by Haugh given Dan's contention that Aldrich's name should be left on the cup as reminder to feel shame, and his preening on twitter about how his stupid kid covered up the Blackhawks logo on his key chain and how that was Actually Great) to transition with LoHo. This show sucks beyond belief.

First, Leila sounds like garbage. Her EQ is terrible compared to Dan's and there's absolutely no punch to her sound. And I don't know what's causing it, but she constantly has this "gum mouth" sound that makes it sound as though she's got cotton balls in her mouth or she's chewing on a big piece of gum while trying to speak.

Second, their chemistry is STILL terrible, and this show has been going on how long? Today, multiple times while discussing the Bulls, Dan was pontificating about some super-basketbally point or another, and ended with that downward inflection common to radio hosts signaling that they have completed their sentence/thought, and it's the partner's turn to either keep the conversation going, do a read, throw to a break, whatever. Except instead of doing any of that, there were multiple-second pauses of completely dead air, then Leila went on about some almost completely unrelated tangent, like her feelings about the atmosphere of the game, at the conclusion of which she used the same inflection cue and Dan did the exact same multi-second pause that she did to him. Then, later, Dan made another x-and-o point about the game, and Leila gave it a few beats and went right back to the atmosphere angle. At multiple times throughout the show, on multiple topics, it sounded like there were just two people taking turns giving their sports thoughts to no one in particular.

Thirdly, like MANY of Dan's previous shows since B&B, the only time either host showed an ounce of passion was in doing Sexual Assault Radio, which came complete with a full read of a brooding email from Stonecutter! SJW Radio is alive and well.

Finally, Dan works way too stiff for Leila. She wasn't afraid to make a little fun of herself and talk about social media hijinks, she even turned a horribly boring story from Dan about not liking Hostess Cherry Pies anymore because, "maybe the cherries got too expensive" into a riff on how one could make their own cherry pie strudel type of deal. Dan's response (after trying multiple times to interject while Leila was riffing)? "Maybe YOU'RE the reason cherries are so expensive!"

I say this all to say that Leila isn't objectively bad, she's at least Just Fine as a host, could maybe be more if she doesn't leave for another TV gig, and she checks the right boxes. Dan's best years are obviously well behind him, and if you want to make Leila the future of middays on the station, fine, but these two cannot work together and create a cohesive, entertaining radio show.

I don't think of posts on this board often at all but this one is a perfect description of what this show is and i think about it every time i try to give it another go.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:31 pm 

dan is as good as he ever was. he just never been exposed by a little girl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:58 am 

sometimes the guest deflates all the positivity.

heard dan and L interview the bears' safety brisker and dan got all excited about the basketball player brisker, who disappeared off the globe in the 70's. dan excitedly asked him if the missing brisker is related to him. brisker said yes, he'd heard about him from family. dan got more excited and asked if the missing brisker is/was his uncle or great uncle. brisker didn't know the answer, said he'd have to ask mom.

total deflation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

heard dan and L interview the bears' safety brisker and dan got all excited about the basketball player brisker, who disappeared off the globe in the 70's. dan excitedly asked him if the missing brisker is related to him. brisker said yes, he'd heard about him from family. dan got more excited and asked if the missing brisker is/was his uncle or great uncle. brisker didn't know the answer, said he'd have to ask mom.

total deflation.

Did Bernstein say he was a fan? I doubt he even knew who Brisker was prior to a Wikipedia search...he likely wouldn't have been old enough to watch him play.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Jaw Breaker wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

total deflation.

Did Bernstein say he was a fan? I doubt he even knew who Brisker was prior to a Wikipedia search...he likely wouldn't have been old enough to watch him play.

I think he said he became familiar with it during all his time around basketball. Whatever that means? His CBA days ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:24 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

total deflation.

Ahhh- the days of terrible training camp interviews with late round picks and street free agents. What is the success rate of those interviews? 1 in 4? No thank you. I think I'd prefer Clawmaster's grabass, homer call-in shows to that garbage. Actually, I'll just listen to Q101 instead.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:40 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

total deflation.

"I don't know, you'll have to ask my dad"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:45 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

total deflation.

i think pittmike has it right. i believe that dan was told the mythical and legendary stories of a 1970's judge crater by ex ABA people that were working in the CBA.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:46 pm 

DAC wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

total deflation.

Ahhh- the days of terrible training camp interviews with late round picks and street free agents. What is the success rate of those interviews? 1 in 4? No thank you. I think I'd prefer Clawmaster's grabass, homer call-in shows to that garbage. Actually, I'll just listen to Q101 instead.

haha, yes. dan and L tried very, very hard.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:04 am 

Tried a few mins yesterday, it was some type of odd White Sox angst fest with Larry Holmes spouting on and on about some strange Sox organizational conspiracy and blaming that for the players not playing well on the field. Huh? isn't this that same group that drone on and on about how managers don't matter and all you need is the analytics stuff to make a team.

Kinda thought that with Bears training camp going on that even this show could come up with a few mins of content, but quickly off to podcast land, the podcasters should be giving WSCR a daily stipend because no station is more effective at driving listeners away in search of content than Mitch Rosen's WSCR.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

Last week, in one show, they said that Florida is bringing back the "good old days, in every sense of the word" for having a law that says loud music can't be played. They gave no context of the bill, where it's being enforced at, etc. just that this law was being passed to arrest or harass black people. Holmes made most of those comments and Bernstein agreed.

Pretty much every show that I listen to contains this type of rhetoric.

If they stay on sports, I don't mind the show. I just don't need or want ignorant political thoughts. I don't think I'm in the minority on want to listen to the show to hear sports conversation.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

Lots of random comments also about players who aren't vaccinated. Bernstein continues to call out healthy baseball players in their low 20's for not getting a shot. Even took a shot at Joe Rogan last week. Yet another topic where he says ignorant things and doesn't get challenged.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:12 am 

pizza_Place: Panino's
BD wrote:
Lots of random comments also about players who aren't vaccinated. Bernstein continues to call out healthy baseball players in their low 20's for not getting a shot. Even took a shot at Joe Rogan last week. Yet another topic where he says ignorant things and doesn't get challenged.

The vaccine clearly doesn't stop you from getting or spreading COVID. Why the fuck does he care of these athletes don't get the jab? It's more hive minded bullshit from the jagoff who thinks he's the smartest person in the room at all times.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:43 pm 

Derplington wrote:
BD wrote:

The vaccine clearly doesn't stop you from getting or spreading COVID. Why the fuck does he care of these athletes don't get the jab? It's more hive minded bullshit from the jagoff who thinks he's the smartest person in the room at all times.

Find his dismissive arrogant attitude silly because if he was, as he always says, "listening to only doctors, or people that are listening to doctors", he would know that the science on this was never settled on this, and that Epidemiology is an ever changing and evolving specialty, so his daily statement is really a verification to anyone that actually works in the medical field that Dan Bernstein is a complete and utter idiot who pretends to know things to be true that are not true in any way.

That level of be wrong, but go strong makes one question his "thoughts" on anything, especially anything sports related.

It often seems like the shows he is involved with quickly devolve into an odd daily self-help or self-affirmation session where Dan feels the need to demonstrate to himself that he is smarter than everyone else while saving the world from the imaginary evil white racist homophobic idiots that are constantly conspiring to make the world hell for people like him and the wronged groups he must prove he supports via virtue signaling on a daily basis.

However, I do think it is all an Alex Jones type bit he plays, must think it makes him relatable to younger listeners, but not sure there are droves of millennials flocking to AM sports talk radio.

Just seems the station which claims to be the smart fans station would realize that they are turning away a massive number of potential listeners on a daily basis, but then again, I do not think they want those listeners and are perfectly happy targeting a very small audience, the ratings show how inept they are which is frankly embarrassing when you look at how sports talk radio does in other markets.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
I caught just a couple minutes today of B&H with Dan Wiederer. It's an odd fit. B&H appear to want nothing but sunshine and puppies about the Bears, where Wiederer is more blunt about their prospects. Fishbain of the Athletic would be a much better fit for B&H, because he's on the same page with them and wouldn't be critical. Personally, I don't see the segments with Wiederer lasting.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:42 am 

yesterday, i heard bernsie say twice: "pete rose admitted to statutory rape". hmmm, rose admitted having sex with a girl/woman, whom he believed to be 16. i believe 16 was/is the age of consent in ohio.

yes, he's a creep and an aqua velva man, but he did not admit to statutory rape. he's an old, mediocre white male, let's try and say he directly indirectly implicated himself to committing statutory rape.

jeez.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:58 am 

watched leila's 3 minute 10 pm sport report last night. no wonder she wants and needs to stay relevant on as much radio time as she can muster. she had about 1 minute of air time, 2 mins for another reporter doing a story on the field of dreams uniforms.

she looked cramped in nbc5 sport central-control room. wasn't on the same stage as allison rosati.

just be like repunzel and let your locks flow out of the nbc5 tower and either ozzie g. or rongey will climb up and rescue you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
yesterday, i heard bernsie say twice: "pete rose admitted to statutory rape". hmmm, rose admitted having sex with a girl/woman, whom he believed to be 16. i believe 16 was/is the age of consent in ohio.

yes, he's a creep and an aqua velva man, but he did not admit to statutory rape. he's an old, mediocre white male, let's try and say he directly indirectly implicated himself to committing statutory rape.

jeez.

If she was 15, then isn’t that statutory rape regardless of what age he claimed to believe she was?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:23 pm 

yes, i would think so. ignorance of the law is no defense. i can't prove anything, but i do believe that rose knew the facts that he had to know in 70s.

bernsie is telling me that rose is guilty of something that he can't get charged for. ???

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:17 pm 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
yes, i would think so. ignorance of the law is no defense. i can't prove anything, but i do believe that rose knew the facts that he had to know in 70s.

bernsie is telling me that rose is guilty of something that he can't get charged for. ???

Bernstein, DiCaro, and their ilk are all scum for bringing this shit up. These allegations were well known in the early 70s. If you're going to bring a case, then BRING A FUCKING CASE!!! Otherwise, if it's 50 years later, shut the fuck up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Jaw Breaker wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

Bernstein, DiCaro, and their ilk are all scum for bringing this shit up. These allegations were well known in the early 70s. If you're going to bring a case, then BRING A FUCKING CASE!!! Otherwise, if it's 50 years later, shut the fuck up.

I'm not sure what you mean by "well known". The accusations were 1st made public and covered by national media in 2017.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:41 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "well known". The accusations were 1st made public and covered by national media in 2017.

My mistake on when the accusations were first made (it appears 2017). But my point remains...if you are a victim of a crime, you have a limited period of time to come forward and make an accusation to the authorities. If you do not, the crime did not happen in the eyes of the law, period. Society cannot justly operate any other way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

The show spends entire segments and large portions of shows telling us how bad Tony La Russa is. They like to link comments that Steve Stone says on the broadcast to their feelings on Tony La Russa.

When they have Steve Stone on, they do not attack Tony La Russa or ask Stone to comment on him. The most direct reference to La Russa was Bernstein, who, in a question to Stone about the team's focus/short-comings, mentioned that the "manager doesn't understand leverage". He didn't ask Stone whether he agrees, neither host asks Stone any direct questions about La Russa, but talk about it when they spend an entire segment with him talking about hustling.

Do other shows ask Stone direct questions about La Russa? Is this a policy or a request by Stone to not ask questions about the manager?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
I think everybody understands the lines that can't be crossed. Stone doesn't need WSCR, WSCR needs him.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:27 pm 
1000 CLUB

The show spent most of the week "covering/discussing" the Field of Dreams game by proposing other places that MLB should do these games. Holmes repeated a Kenny Williams line from the previous year where black/brown players had never worn those uniforms before so this game wasn't really a history of the game for all people. Bernstein goes into that baseball is marketed too 50 year old white men. They proposed game games in Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic, perhaps other countries. Essentially any other place other than Iowa would be something that MLB should be doing to market the game to the players of today, and, their continued re-branding of the Score into a sports version of MSNBC.

They actually had some good football segments, even if they do nothing but speculate and over analyze everything. Holmes, in particular, likes to remind everyone that they were reporters and have sources and can pick up the phone, etc., but if they talk football, the show isn't bad and can be good. The same isn't untrue of baseball talk either - they do talk to much (Bernstein does, Holmes is trying too) metrics that people don't care about and focus too much on La Russa (recall 3 years ago, the thought that a manager mattered was laughable, but when you hire a racist manager, then the manager is all that matters)....

Overall, this isn't hard. Bernstein is good at talking sports when he wants to. Not everything needs a political reference (i.e. they can't mention Cease anymore without saying he is a nut on the right) and most people listen for sports thoughts, not left wing commentary. Do that, and the show is fine, but almost every segment has some sort of woke/racism overlay over what they are talking about..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 77  Next