It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Quintana is what he's always been. A fine number 3 or 4 guy in the rotation.

The same people who tried to convince you that he was special now try to convince you that Grandal is the best catcher in the AL and that Moncada is one of the best 3B.

Moncada is actually pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
He's fine. Middle of the road.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

Terry's Peeps wrote:

He's better than that. You've been reading Ken W.O. too much. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Q did a lot with not much. I never got why he was disliked so much and the stats bear it out.

Imagine if he actually had stuff.

I'll tell you why he was disliked. Because he wasn't very good but "modern" fans used statistics that are actually inconsequential to insist he was and ridicule everyone who could see that he was completely mediocre.

I disagree he was mediocre. He did what he had to, mainly nibbling, and was decently successful staying out of big innings. I don't hate Keuchel. What he accomplished with one fucking pitch is worth some credit. But now that's over with. He's cooked.

Edit: So you hate Q due to some specialized metrics that were out of his control?

"Out of his control." He's one of two starting pitchers in the games he pitches. When the other guy pitches better half the time, that's the actual definition of mediocre.

I hate Q because you think he's better than he is because he piles up positive metrics in situations that aren't critical and very often when he gets into a spot where the game is on the line, he suddenly can't locate. He loses 2-1 or 3-2 or he allows the game to be tied so David Robertson or Craig Kimbrel can blow it after he's out. You say he performed well. I say he's mediocre.

Whoa there. I said he was decently successful of getting out of jams. He was. You don't have an under 4 ERA for 5 straight years, with the admittedly mediocre stuff, by not knowing how to pitch. That's what I give him credit for.

You keep going back to your fatally flawed "the other pitcher". Unless it's an ace, a pitcher's job is to keep the team in the game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Q did a lot with not much. I never got why he was disliked so much and the stats bear it out.

I'll tell you why he was disliked. Because he wasn't very good but "modern" fans used statistics that are actually inconsequential to insist he was and ridicule everyone who could see that he was completely mediocre.

I disagree he was mediocre. He did what he had to, mainly nibbling, and was decently successful staying out of big innings. I don't hate Keuchel. What he accomplished with one fucking pitch is worth some credit. But now that's over with. He's cooked.

Edit: So you hate Q due to some specialized metrics that were out of his control?

"Out of his control." He's one of two starting pitchers in the games he pitches. When the other guy pitches better half the time, that's the actual definition of mediocre.

I hate Q because you think he's better than he is because he piles up positive metrics in situations that aren't critical and very often when he gets into a spot where the game is on the line, he suddenly can't locate. He loses 2-1 or 3-2 or he allows the game to be tied so David Robertson or Craig Kimbrel can blow it after he's out. You say he performed well. I say he's mediocre.

Whoa there. I said he was decently successful of getting out of jams. He was. You don't have an under 4 ERA for 5 straight years, with the admittedly mediocre stuff, by not knowing how to pitch. That's what I give him credit for.

You keep going back to your fatally flawed "the other pitcher". Unless it's an ace, a pitcher's job is to keep the team in the game.

His W/L record is evidence that in fact he often didn't get out of jams and despite his more than respectable ancillary statistics, he was flawed in a way that caused him to lose many close low scoring games. I suppose you might try to sell the "run support" case, i.e. that over 300 or so career starts his offense just didn't perform when he was on the mound or that relievers blew his games an inordinate amount of the time, but those aren't likely scenarios.

"The other pitcher(s)" are real. If they're beating him half the time, that's the definition of "mediocre." It's not as if he faced Clayton Kershaw in every game or like he was pitching for the 1962 Mets. In fact, he spent a few years on a Cub team that is one of the greatest juggernauts to ever play the game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I go back and forth on the importance of W/L. I agree that mostly the pitcher is facing the other offense, not the other pitcher...but what makes true studs like Scherzer or Verlander even more impressive is that they are often paired up against the other team's ace, which should lead to a worse W/L record than if they were facing a random selection of the opposing team's starters.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:12 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

His W/L record is evidence that in fact he often didn't get out of jams and despite his more than respectable ancillary statistics, he was flawed in a way that caused him to lose many close low scoring games. I suppose you might try to sell the "run support" case, i.e. that over 300 or so career starts his offense just didn't perform when he was on the mound or that relievers blew his games an inordinate amount of the time, but those aren't likely scenarios.

"The other pitcher(s)" are real. If they're beating him half the time, that's the definition of "mediocre." It's not as if he faced Clayton Kershaw in every game or like he was pitching for the 1962 Mets. In fact, he spent a few years on a Cub team that is one of the greatest juggernauts to ever play the game.

Only aces beat you. And there's only a half dozen a year. A team beats everyone else. Generally speaking.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Only aces beat you.

Various and sundry other mediocrities often beat the likes of Jose Quintana and Jeff Samardzija.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:24 pm 

And I don't care about what he did with the Cubs. With the White Sox, he was a fine pitcher who pitched within himself. If you want to covet W/L over earned runs in 9 innings, to me that's just digging in your heels. But it's your right as a LTG.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:25 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Only aces beat you.

Various and sundry other mediocrities often beat the likes of Jose Quintana and Jeff Samardzija.

Terrible comp. Guppy didn't know how to pitch.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Only aces beat you.

Granted, they arrived at their mediocrity via different methods.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:41 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Only aces beat you.

Granted, they arrived at their mediocrity via different methods.

Granted, if you use W/L as your metric. May God damn Q to hell for a 3.5 ERA over 1000 innings with the Sox.
Lone Wolf JORR.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
And I don't care about what he did with the Cubs. With the White Sox, he was a fine pitcher who pitched within himself. If you want to covet W/L over earned runs in 9 innings, to me that's just digging in your heels. But it's your right as a LTG.

This is where the disagreement lies. I believe he was exactly the same guy. If his team scored 10 runs every time he pitched, I believe his ERA would go up so that his W/L record would still be right around .500. Now obviously I'm exaggerating for effect. Ten runs is hyperbole and if he ever had a lucky Aaron Sele season I would expect him to have a career best winning percentage.

But the thing the W/L record is showing you that the other statistics do not is the pressure that exists in the games he pitches and how he responds to that pressure. That's why he has similar ancillary statistics to Buehrle without the same kind of winning percentage. Most games come down to a key at-bat or two. When Buehrle was tired in the seventh inning and he had a situation with two on and two out and a middle of the order guy at the plate, most of the time he could reach down and take care of that batter. He could make the pitch he needed to make in those situations. Those are the same situations where Quintana often failed and it's reflected in his W/L record. Trust me, it isn't that Buehrle was pitching for the 1927 Yankees and Quintana was pitching for the 1967 White Sox.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Angie's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I go back and forth on the importance of W/L. I agree that mostly the pitcher is facing the other offense, not the other pitcher...but what makes true studs like Scherzer or Verlander even more impressive is that they are often paired up against the other team's ace, which should lead to a worse W/L record than if they were facing a random selection of the opposing team's starters.

Yep. One year, the White Sox dropped James Baldwin down to #4, and he started 12-3 or something.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

He's better than that. You've been reading Ken W.O. too much. :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

The angriest fucking guy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:02 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

This is where the disagreement lies. I believe he was exactly the same guy. If his team scored 10 runs every time he pitched, I believe his ERA would go up so that his W/L record would still be right around .500. Now obviously I'm exaggerating for effect. Ten runs is hyperbole and if he ever had a lucky Aaron Sele season I would expect him to have a career best winning percentage.

But the thing the W/L record is showing you that the other statistics do not is the pressure that exists in the games he pitches and how he responds to that pressure. That's why he has similar ancillary statistics to Buehrle without the same kind of winning percentage. Most games come down to a key at-bat or two. When Buehrle was tired in the seventh inning and he had a situation with two on and two out and a middle of the order guy at the plate, most of the time he could reach down and take care of that batter. He could make the pitch he needed to make in those situations. Those are the same situations where Quintana often failed and it's reflected in his W/L record. Trust me, it isn't that Buehrle was pitching for the 1927 Yankees and Quintana was pitching for the 1967 White Sox.

You can make comparisons that I agree with all day. It doesn't change the fact the Q got everything out of his arm that he could, given his stuff. You disagree that he got out of jams. My recollection is he got out of more than his fair share. Hence, the 3.5 ERA over 1000 that he really had no business having. My argument isn't Bernstein's dumbassery or sabremetrics. He was SOLID for 5 years, the 6th he was cooked.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:11 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Warren Newson wrote:
Jose Quintana and Chris Sale are equally as good.

I don't recall Dan having this take, but it wouldn't surprise me. If he actually did....this one has to be the winner.

Of the takes I recall hearing firsthand...
1) his love of masking and it's effectiveness
2) Patrick Kane's presumed guilt

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Candlelight
Today he was on about the number of COVID cases amongst the Bulls and how he would be hesitant to go see a Bulls game at the UC cuz the COVID might get him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:21 pm 

Yossarian. wrote:
Today he was on about the number of COVID cases amongst the Bulls and how he would be hesitant to go see a Bulls game at the UC cuz the COVID might get him.

What a fucking lying propagandist.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

You can make comparisons that I agree with all day. It doesn't change the fact the Q got everything out of his arm that he could, given his stuff. You disagree that he got out of jams. My recollection is he got out of more than his fair share. Hence, the 3.5 ERA over 1000 that he really had no business having. My argument isn't Bernstein's dumbassery or sabremetrics. He was SOLID for 5 years, the 6th he was cooked.

I also disagree that he had "no stuff." He wasn't some junkballing lefty. He had a respectable fastball. It's not like he was Jamie Moyer or Marco Gonzales. He certainly had a lot more "stuff" than Buehrle. I would compare him to "Losing Pitcher" John Danks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:13 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I also disagree that he had "no stuff." He wasn't some junkballing lefty. He had a respectable fastball. It's not like he was Jamie Moyer or Marco Gonzales. He certainly had a lot more "stuff" than Buehrle. I would compare him to "Losing Pitcher" John Danks.

A junk balling nibbling lefty. No A pitches. An above average change. Buehrle is a unicorn cuz he could put it in a thimble. Danks had more heat and more spin.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:56 am 

200 K in 2017 and upper over 175 for most of his time with the Sox

sub 3.50 eras and even better advanced stats

innings eater as well going for 200+ for four straight years

he just wasn't as good with the cubs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
good dolphin wrote:

Q was pretty goof the first two seasons. He wasn't bad for a 3rd 4th 5th guy. He was never an ace but he threw 170 or more innings and had a winning record, got over 150ks each season.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:57 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:

"Innings eater" is another term for "mediocre."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:59 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Not really.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:02 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

take out the descriptor and analyze the objective data that he threw 200+ inning for four straight years with the Sox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:06 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

take out the descriptor and analyze the objective data that he threw 200+ inning for four straight years with the Sox

Have you ever heard anyone call a good pitcher an "innings eater"?

I'm not saying that Quintana was a bum. There's a place for him on a good team. If he's the fourth or fifth man in your rotation you're doing well. It's that there was a period of time where he was way more highly regarded than he ever should have been. Like Samardzija, though as Nardi pointed out, for different reasons. Quintana was mediocre at least. Samardzija was just an awful pitcher. Nobody talks much about Kyle Henricks but he actually is what people thought Quintana and Samardzija were.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:12 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I'm not saying that Quintana was a bum. There's a place for him on a good team. If he's the fourth or fifth man in your rotation you're doing well. It's that there was a period of time where he was way more highly regarded than he ever should have been. Like Samardzija, though as Nardi pointed out, for different reasons. Quintana was mediocre at least. Samardzija was just an awful pitcher. Nobody talks much about Kyle Henricks but he actually is what people thought Quintana and Samardzija were.

Yeah I think you do hear good pitchers called innings eaters. Just different terminology. If he'd had said durable rather than innings eater you're saying the same thing just a different way and it sounds like a description for a good pitcher.
The big thing I see is that he was a 3rd or 4th guy and for some reason we expected 1 or 2 stuff from him. At least with the Cubs, where I watched most of his games, he won more than he lost, he pitched his share of innings, he got KS, he was... quite serviceable. Far from a bum.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:19 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Don't get bogged down in the semantics

200+ innings in addition to all the other objective items in my post are strong indications of a good pitcher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:22 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

No. Not when it's used "as well as an innings eater".

Dig those heels in harder.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next