It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:18 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
RFDC wrote:
Sounds so simple just re-evaluate and get some fresh talent.

However if you have listened to sports radio from other places you learn how hard that is to accomplish. There is a ton of bad radio out there.

The score is not perfect and it will always pale in comparison to the 90s but be careful what you wish for

The Score was always about promoting from within. You'd become familiar with guys in bit roles, then as substitute hosts, then as full-time hosts. Hiring Danny Parkins out of Kansas City was the first time in recent memory that they've pulled finished-product talent from another media market. I'm not sure it worked, but I'm not sure the old way was still working, either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Curious Hair wrote:
RFDC wrote:

However if you have listened to sports radio from other places you learn how hard that is to accomplish. There is a ton of bad radio out there.

The score is not perfect and it will always pale in comparison to the 90s but be careful what you wish for

The Score was always about promoting from within. You'd become familiar with guys in bit roles, then as substitute hosts, then as full-time hosts. Hiring Danny Parkins out of Kansas City was the first time in recent memory that they've pulled finished-product talent from another media market. I'm not sure it worked, but I'm not sure the old way was still working, either.

It's impossible for the Score to promote from within because they no longer give weekend and evening shifts to producers and reporters. They don't merely suffer from a lack of talent; they suffer from having no mechanism to discover and develop talent.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Bernstein gave his liberal views that were insulting to taxpayers and Terry would parrot what he said. But, they took tons of calls from irate callers who were very insulting to B & B. So as much as Bernstein was despised they took opposing opinions. Not always pleasantly but they took them. It was riveting radio to hear callers attack them. Even hearing Goff go off from "what about black crime" texters was hilarious. Now without any pushback to the hosts limp social views it's just plain boring.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Panino's
Curious Hair wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Chris Rongey next to Bernstein seems so obvious. Does Rongey know much about sports? No. Does he have a voice that can put you to sleep? Yes. But him and Bernstein have a great rapport and have the ability to joke around and laugh at each other. Holmes has no sense of humor.

Is Rongey an obvious fit next to Bernstein for anybody else, or am I just a dumbass?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:55 am 
1000 CLUB

Derplington wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Chris Rongey next to Bernstein seems so obvious. Does Rongey know much about sports? No. Does he have a voice that can put you to sleep? Yes. But him and Bernstein have a great rapport and have the ability to joke around and laugh at each other. Holmes has no sense of humor.

Is Rongey an obvious fit next to Bernstein for anybody else, or am I just a dumbass?

Rongey and Bernstein would have been great together, but Mitch is loyal to Holmes (his former client) and Rongey was recently hired for what is likely a more lucrative gig in St. Louis.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: New Mexico has no good pizza. Send help.
Spaulding wrote:
Darkside wrote:
What Harry upside are we talking about here?

I always thought Harry was a bit of a foil for Mac. It made him pay attention and be engaged. I never really thought of Harry as a bad guy. There were times the relationship was contentious and they thought of each other as pains in the ass I feel like deep down they mostly liked each other. There were certain aspects where they were as much alike as they are different.

Spiegel seems like a complete self absorbed man child. He's not funny, he's not interesting, he's a smarmy, pukey, fairly narcissistic, emasculate oaf that shows little grace or tact even when he should be grateful and loyal to someone all under the guise of being super positive. Harry had upside over him for sure.

Parkins came off as a less energetic version of Harry. I don't know if it's his age or his natural attitude but he comes off as too cool for the room or something. He's a snoozer for me.

Amazing take.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Spaulding wrote:
Darkside wrote:
What Harry upside are we talking about here?

I always thought Harry was a bit of a foil for Mac. It made him pay attention and be engaged. I never really thought of Harry as a bad guy. There were times the relationship was contentious and they thought of each other as pains in the ass I feel like deep down they mostly liked each other. There were certain aspects where they were as much alike as they are different.

Spiegel seems like a complete self absorbed man child. He's not funny, he's not interesting, he's a smarmy, pukey, fairly narcissistic, emasculate oaf that shows little grace or tact even when he should be grateful and loyal to someone all under the guise of being super positive. Harry had upside over him for sure.

Parkins came off as a less energetic version of Harry. I don't know if it's his age or his natural attitude but he comes off as too cool for the room or something. He's a snoozer for me.

All of this is true, except there are 2 glaring omissions here:
1) 3-person radio booth is too crowded. I do get that they thought Jurko was more like only a half-person's voice, but he and Mac did have very good rapport. I don't think Jurko is any kind of radio pro but I liked him on the that show
2) A wanna-be comedian that isn't funny AT ALL makes for a miserable listening experience.

I have no grudge against Harry as a person at all....I just found his radio presence painful.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

Harry wasn't much of a foil since so many of his opinions were detached from reality. The appeal of the show wasn't rooted in personality so much as it was the good-natured ball-busting dynamic of the "afternoon saloon." It couldn't be rooted in personality because none of the three hosts were particularly likable.

It's this same dynamic that Parkins and Spiegel are trying to impart into their show. Both Parkins and Spiegel are willing to play the heel role (though this appears to come naturally to Spiegel) because they know doing so will generate some laughs when they are called on their behavior or opinions by Shane, Tanny or their co-host.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Caught a minute of the hapless Holmes and Bernstein show w/Rahimi via pod yesterday, kinda thought the first day or two of training camp was Bernstein proof, but a minute was all I could take before PTFB.

Holmes sounded almost detached, which is a good thing, few have more shallow football thoughts than Larry Holmes, but it was like he was pouting because the girl was talking more to another dude than she was interacting with him.

Rahimi is a good fill in or replacement level host, has a bit of energy and at least seems interested.

Lil' Danny Bernstein is just doing a bit these days, same old tired lame ass making fun of footbally coachspeak routine he's done for years, but he's the same guy that worshiped the "smart fans" coach Nagy for being a revolutionary football mind, so you realize he knows less than nothing about football, but he is just doing a bit these days, handing on as long as he can.

Heard a tease for the pied piper of the football crackpots one Hubert Arkush and headed on down the podcast road in search of someone, anyone with a bit of Bears acumen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Claw has it. Bernsie is held back and tries to pick spots to show he is smart. Like about something dumb about cooking or something french. Larry, is more reserved but it it is good. That said he is chomping at the bit. Yesterday he shouted out hater Wednesday. You know he has stuff he wants to do that is vetoed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Caught a few minutes while running errands this morning. The hate with which B&H talk about LaRussa is pretty incredible. It's as if the 2022 WS are comparable to the 2022 Yankees/Dodgers and the manager is the only thing holding them back from winning 100 games. I've watched a few WS games this year and seen enough to know that the WS aren't on that level. The talent just isn't that good. That said, I tend to dismiss much of B&H's opinion of LaRussa as being he's 'Jerry's old white guy buddy with questionable politics'. How much of B&H's critique of LaRussa is based in fact and how much is irrational hate?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Derplington wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I agree. Bernstein and Rongey would make a good pairing assuming Rongey has kinda settled down from what he used to be. I think he is an interesting guy and has some good takes. I'd listen to that show- Bernstein and Holmes has very little appeal to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

DAC wrote:
Derplington wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I agree. Bernstein and Rongey would make a good pairing assuming Rongey has kinda settled down from what he used to be. I think he is an interesting guy and has some good takes. I'd listen to that show- Bernstein and Holmes has very little appeal to me.

I'm sure Rongey is doing quite well giving Cardinals updates followed by liberal hot takes on his show in St.Louis. Seems like a great idea to 3 libs going crazy everyday in between Cardinal talks. If he was with Bernstein, there would be plenty of those moments. I can pass on anything that idiot has to say.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
BD wrote:
DAC wrote:
Derplington wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I'm sure Rongey is doing quite well giving Cardinals updates followed by liberal hot takes on his show in St.Louis. Seems like a great idea to 3 libs going crazy everyday in between Cardinal talks. If he was with Bernstein, there would be plenty of those moments. I can pass on anything that idiot has to say.

You have nailed it, honestly, that is what the station is and wants to be at this point, Mitch must think this is the present and future of sports talk radio, they are definitely targeting a small group of wealthy white liberal dudes, I mean c'mon that is what you see all through the day and most of the "experts" they use are the exact same guy.

They must have some type of demographic data that is telling them to ignore 50-75% of the typical sports fan base and target this sliver of the population. In many ways it mirrors the way the Democratic party has moved away from the unwashed working class and now just wants to talk with other upper class or upper middle class woke white folks, looking for legions of Bernstein clones who will march with them in lockstep finding offense in the actions of any random white dude that doesn't toe the line.

It results in segment after segment, hour after hour, day after day of hosts regurgitating filtered mind-numbing sports "thoughts", foreign to most longtime listeners, but I don't think they really care because they don't want that audience anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:37 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Clawmaster wrote:
They must have some type of demographic data that is telling them to ignore 50-75% of the typical sports fan base and target this sliver of the population. In many ways it mirrors the way the Democratic party has moved away from the unwashed working class and now just wants to talk with other upper class or upper middle class woke white folks, looking for legions of Bernstein clones who will march with them in lockstep finding offense in the actions of any random white dude that doesn't toe the line.

It results in segment after segment, hour after hour, day after day of hosts regurgitating filtered mind-numbing sports "thoughts", foreign to most longtime listeners, but I don't think they really care because they don't want that audience anymore.

They grew old with their audience, but only the part of the audience that emailed Boers & Bernstein in the mid-2000s.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:32 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
BD wrote:
DAC wrote:
Derplington wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Have you actually listened to Rongey in his new gig or are you just making shit up because it fits your narrative? :lol: You guys are so sensitive and so easily triggered.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

Rongey good with Bernstein? No. He's bad with anybody. Bad alone. Just bad.

I still laugh knowing he's doing a political/social issue show in St. Louis. Who the hell wants to hear his thoughts on important stuff? Whatever thoughts he has, he just says them cuz he has to fill the show. He doesn't give a shit about anything. He's the type that just cares about hunting bitches and banging bitches. (Sorry, I meant women) He's that simple.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:50 am 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
Rongey good with Bernstein? No. He's bad with anybody. Bad alone. Just bad.

I still laugh knowing he's doing a political/social issue show in St. Louis. Who the hell wants to hear his thoughts on important stuff? Whatever thoughts he has, he just says them cuz he has to fill the show. He doesn't give a shit about anything. He's the type that just cares about hunting bitches and banging bitches. (Sorry, I meant women) He's that simple.

No, he and Bernstein have unusually good chemistry, which allows each of them to be far more entertaining with one another than they are solo or with other partners.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:24 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Rongey was not quite Buffone after a loss, but he did get salty to the point of entertaining.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:27 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Old Bernstein & Rongey sent out vibes they don't like each other. He and old Bernstein were a good pairing with the tension. New weak Bernstein can't be a good pairing with any body. Same with the rest of the Score host trash. They're all clones of each other. Rongey's forte is his disgust for people he openly shows. His White Sox postgame being a shill apologist was a perfect fit for his arrogant prick persona taking calls from people he thought were beneath him. Rongey was a good old Score story teller too. Rongey told a funny story he and his gf were downtown. Walking towards him in the distance is Les. He's oh no! He gives his gf a quick schooling on how eccentric Les is and does, don't's, and tools to cut the conversation short. Apparently Les conversations were one-sided and all over the place. Les of course rambles on aimlessly for a ½ hour. Rongey & gf walk away needing to decompress.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
This entertaining / interesting Rongey you speak of is a unicorn....whether he was doing post-game or fill-in work...I never heard it. Pass.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7