It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:

That was harder to read than the article about dueling they/thems.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's

My memories of those transitions were how many times Spiegel ended a sentence, 'Right Terry?' and how Terry left him hanging virtually every time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
It's really sort of amazing that he and the Score never gave up on each other. Hamp and Holmes was a flop, he got passed over for promotion numerous times, but never left. And it's not as if the alternative was to go become a director of communications for Prospect Heights public schools or whatever ex-Score guys have so implausibly been doing lately. He could have been the full-time sports guy for Fox 32 or something. But no, he stuck it out to finally be reunited with his true love, Dan Bernstein.

You have 2 sports radio stations, maybe TV work and podcasting. Maybe you need help with finding advertisers for a podcast, but it's not as if you have competition coming for your services. Even if ESPN wanted Holmes at the same time his deal was coming up with the Score, is it really that complicated? You can't figure out how to get a market deal with security without an agent? You have a 2 hour show. Yes, I realize he believe watching the Sox game or reading an article is work, but for someone who is as smart as Holmes wants to come across, is an agent needed? Unless you think you're some sort of star and having an agent is part of the ego trip.

I listened to most of the show on Monday; Holmes must have used the word 'Dope' several time ("You're so dope", "This is dope", etc.)....Who talks like that and uses it at least 4 times to describe something cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:40 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
BD wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
It's really sort of amazing that he and the Score never gave up on each other. Hamp and Holmes was a flop, he got passed over for promotion numerous times, but never left. And it's not as if the alternative was to go become a director of communications for Prospect Heights public schools or whatever ex-Score guys have so implausibly been doing lately. He could have been the full-time sports guy for Fox 32 or something. But no, he stuck it out to finally be reunited with his true love, Dan Bernstein.

You have 2 sports radio stations, maybe TV work and podcasting. Maybe you need help with finding advertisers for a podcast, but it's not as if you have competition coming for your services. Even if ESPN wanted Holmes at the same time his deal was coming up with the Score, is it really that complicated? You can't figure out how to get a market deal with security without an agent? You have a 2 hour show. Yes, I realize he believe watching the Sox game or reading an article is work, but for someone who is as smart as Holmes wants to come across, is an agent needed? Unless you think you're some sort of star and having an agent is part of the ego trip.

I listened to most of the show on Monday; Holmes must have used the word 'Dope' several time ("You're so dope", "This is dope", etc.)....Who talks like that and uses it at least 4 times to describe something cool.

The same type of guy who still uses the word “crib” and “ya boy” on Bulls pre and post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:02 am 

BD wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Goff didn't have an agent and it made a very big difference. Better to not cheap out on the front end.

Alternatively, Mitch used to be Sir's agent and that, too, has made a very big difference in a different way.

My BIL had all of us hang drywall, paint, etc. on a house he bought when we were all younger. I'm happy to help but he got what he paid for. I mean, it did resemble the professional version of the work when we were finished.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
good dolphin wrote:
DAC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

He's been rejected several times as a tv talent, including NBC. He would take something like that were it available.

as a radio host, he is loyal to the score. I'm not sure anyone else is pounding on his door but Mitch takes care of him.

Let's face it- Holmes does fill a need at the Score. And while he's weird and not much better than average, he has a loyal following and has a lot of history at the station. He's an easy host to find a spot for.

I don't think he really does have a loyal following. There isn't proof that he can pull ratings at any part of the day. Maybe the Feder followers could shed some light.

The truth about Bernstein, who does have a niche following, is that he has never been a ratings grabber either. He almost always lost listeners from the show before him and they returned when he went off the air. I don't think he has ever been #1 at the station in grabbing listeners. However, Mitch likes him as well and chose to elevate him.

Larry was OK in his role as Bears Reporter back in the day, but he really struggled to come up with original content during his two hour time slot, relying on his producers to fill significant amounts of time replaying interviews from other shows and then taking 5-10 mins a day talking about his podcast, really only coming up with maybe a segment or two per shift. He likely fills the Goff role as the guy that nods his head in agreement with Bernstein on every topic, the same bland stuff you hear all day long at the station, wokester radio as the woke movement is being dismantled by comedians like Chappelle and Maher.

The station talks more about stuff that happened decades ago when Larry was producing for the dudes that made the station a success than anything he has done as a host, but come to think of it when they replay the most entertaining bits from the stations history there is nothing from the past 10 years, so nothing of any real entertainment value has come out of the hosts for quite some time.

The station would be better off giving North, Uncle Terry, Mac, Huebner, and Murph an hour each day, at least that would generate interesting original content and controversial stuff the rest of the SJW's could rally against the rest of the day, but it likely would create something like the old WCW Master P vs West Texas Rednecks where the audience starts rooting for the heels and not the babyfaces.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Clawmaster wrote:
The station would be better off giving North, Uncle Terry, Mac, Huebner, and Murph an hour each day, at least that would generate interesting original content and controversial stuff the rest of the SJW's could rally against the rest of the day

That wouldn't be interesting. It would be sad. Have you listened to Terry on some of his guest spots? After the sentimentality wore off after a couple minutes, you remembered how bad of a listen Boers became.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:40 am 

DAC wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
The station would be better off giving North, Uncle Terry, Mac, Huebner, and Murph an hour each day, at least that would generate interesting original content and controversial stuff the rest of the SJW's could rally against the rest of the day

That wouldn't be interesting. It would be sad. Have you listened to Terry on some of his guest spots? After the sentimentality wore off after a couple minutes, you remembered how bad of a listen Boers became.

Would remove the sentimental crap and just have him give unfiltered sports thoughts, too bad you missed the days when hosts were actually allowed to have a different take and then debate with other people that also had different unique sports thoughts.

Often wonder why people are so afraid to talk to people from completely different walks of life than themselves, it seems to stem from a fear that what they think may actually be completely wrong, seems we have an entire generation of Arthur Fonzerelli's.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:51 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
DAC wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Would remove the sentimental crap and just have him give unfiltered sports thoughts, too bad you missed the days when hosts were actually allowed to have a different take and then debate with other people that also had different unique sports thoughts.

Often wonder why people are so afraid to talk to people from completely different walks of life than themselves, it seems to stem from a fear that what they think may actually be completely wrong, seems we have an entire generation of Arthur Fonzerelli's.

Give me some of these major unfiltered sports thoughts you talk about? Is your claim that all these hosts are just giving team-approved takes and thus filtered? I listen to many hosts and experts on a variety of podcasts who debate and criticize teams, players, and leagues. Some have more tempered takes than others but I don't follow anyone who I feel gives me "filtered" thoughts.

You mentioned twice now how people are "afraid" or "intimidated" and/or "offended" at listening to people who have different opinions such as guests that people like Joe Rogan have on their show. What has drawn you to your opinion? Are you primarily referring to right/left issues? In your opinion, is fear and intimidation the reason why people on both the right and left tend to keep to their political echo chambers? I can only speak for myself but I do occasionally listen to right, conservative radio stations when I am in Michigan. And it's not fear or intimidation that gets me to PTFB- it's disgust.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:15 am 
1000 CLUB

Between Bernstein and Holmes, they also use the word "adore, adorable, adored" to describe players. Nothing wrong with the word itself, but odd for grown men to be using that word at least 1 time a show this week to describe another grown man. I'm being picky, I realize that, but who talks like that other than these two?

Also, heard some segment with Bernstein advertising some new protein rich fish that he would eat on the air. I didn't catch the name (he did say it which is odd because he also said it was a racist name), but apparently the name of the fish needed to be changed to get more of a chance in the public because it was a racist name.

This show will talk mainly sports and will be fine as long you can stand Holmes fake laughing, but Bernstein is just itching to bring wokeness into every show.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:18 am 
1000 CLUB

Why is "who's your guy" such a great topic to Holmes? The clips are not bad, but reading a long scouting report on players nobody knows over and over for a 1/2 hour on multiple shows is very bad.

The fake laughing is worse than Rahimi. I do think this a technique to connect with the listeners - laugh, have fun, but they are laughing at things that aren't funny and/or not nearly to that extent where they are melting down over a random drop they have heard 100x or something Bernstein says that, at best, is interesting, but not that damn funny.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:18 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:

That was harder to read than the article about dueling they/thems.

shouldnt it be "parkins and i"?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
BD wrote:
Between Bernstein and Holmes, they also use the word "adore, adorable, adored" to describe players. Nothing wrong with the word itself, but odd for grown men to be using that word at least 1 time a show this week to describe another grown man. I'm being picky, I realize that, but who talks like that other than these two?

Yeah, I noticed that with Bernstein going all the way back to Grossman. At the time I thought maybe it was a Jewish thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:21 am 

BD wrote:

Also, heard some segment with Bernstein advertising some new protein rich fish that he would eat on the air. I didn't catch the name (he did say it which is odd because he also said it was a racist name), but apparently the name of the fish needed to be changed to get more of a chance in the public because it was a racist name.

This show will talk mainly sports and will be fine as long you can stand Holmes fake laughing, but Bernstein is just itching to bring wokeness into every show.

Asian Carp? I know Illinois is renaming them Copi but the explanation is that it's so people will eat them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
BD wrote:

i guarantee you this - bernstein won't eat this new species of fish with any goya products.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:37 am 

DAC wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
DAC wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Give me some of these major unfiltered sports thoughts you talk about? Is your claim that all these hosts are just giving team-approved takes and thus filtered? I listen to many hosts and experts on a variety of podcasts who debate and criticize teams, players, and leagues. Some have more tempered takes than others but I don't follow anyone who I feel gives me "filtered" thoughts.

You mentioned twice now how people are "afraid" or "intimidated" and/or "offended" at listening to people who have different opinions such as guests that people like Joe Rogan have on their show. What has drawn you to your opinion? Are you primarily referring to right/left issues? In your opinion, is fear and intimidation the reason why people on both the right and left tend to keep to their political echo chambers? I can only speak for myself but I do occasionally listen to right, conservative radio stations when I am in Michigan. And it's not fear or intimidation that gets me to PTFB- it's disgust.

You obviously never listened to one minute of the Monsters or Heavy Fuel crew, and I really feel sorry for you for missing that era of radio. Having a podcast hosts that thinks a pitcher with a 2% better spin rate is better than another guys is not a real deep disagreement, go back and listen to North openly question Michael McKaskey, or when Monsters would belittle Lil' Danny Bernstein for his Bears segment takes, or even listen to some of the old transition segments when it would get heated, this type of thing is something that would likely confuse younger listeners who are not used to open and often heated debates.

As I have said many times, it's really hard for people that were not able to listen to the station before they became a corporate owned entity and had team affiliations to understand that certain segments were appointment radio because you really never knew what North, Mac, or Uncle Terry would ask a player, coach, or member of team management, it's watered down now, but apparently a safer more comfortable place for many, but is the reason many no longer consume the product.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:44 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
DAC wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
DAC wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

You obviously never listened to one minute of the Monsters or Heavy Fuel crew, and I really feel sorry for you for missing that era of radio. Having a podcast hosts that thinks a pitcher with a 2% better spin rate is better than another guys is not a real deep disagreement, go back and listen to North openly question Michael McKaskey, or when Monsters would belittle Lil' Danny Bernstein for his Bears segment takes, or even listen to some of the old transition segments when it would get heated, this type of thing is something that would likely confuse younger listeners who are not used to open and often heated debates.

As I have said many times, it's really hard for people that were not able to listen to the station before they became a corporate owned entity and had team affiliations to understand that certain segments were appointment radio because you really never knew what North, Mac, or Uncle Terry would ask a player, coach, or member of team management, it's watered down now, but apparently a safer more comfortable place for many, but is the reason many no longer consume the product.

:lol: You don't have to feel sorry for me. While I definitely did not listen to the Score as much as others on this forum, I listened to North enough to understand his shtick. Yeah- it entertained a 20-something year old DAC but I wouldn't be interested in it today. Contrived debates, heated homer passion, and Sox/Cubs banter does not make for good sports talk. I want much more from the sports media I consume than sports bar level debates. And I'd wager that you suffer from wearing rose colored glasses when looking back at the 90s Score and your overall disdain for Parkins, Spiegel, and Bernstein biases everything you hear from them today.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:53 am 

DAC wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
DAC wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
DAC wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

:lol: You don't have to feel sorry for me. While I definitely did not listen to the Score as much as others on this forum, I listened to North enough to understand his shtick. Yeah- it entertained a 20-something year old DAC but I wouldn't be interested in it today. Contrived debates, heated homer passion, and Sox/Cubs banter does not make for good sports talk. I want much more from the sports media I consume than sports bar level debates. And I'd wager that you suffer from wearing rose colored glasses when looking back at the 90s Score and your overall disdain for Parkins, Spiegel, and Bernstein biases everything you hear from them today.

No real disdain for the guys today, just know it can be done much better.

Your basically getting sports bar level debates from guys that get all their info from twitter and team "experts" leading to an environment where the hosts protect the teams, especially team ownership, rather than openly question and expose failures.

Your heroes loved your guy Matt Nagy, talked glowingly for years about how he was the smartest coach in the NFL, how good it was to have a coach that was an offensive genius and gotta love this one, "had created the best culture in the NFL".

We have learned that Nagy was in fact a complete joke who could not even organize practices, players are talking about how nobody knew where to line up, and that the players basically gave up listening to his "rah-rah" BS and were all laughing at him.

The reality was in fact the exact opposite of what your guys were spewing every day. You would think there would be at least one host that would have come out with a different opinion, but no all were in lock step, but that seems to be what you are looking for in your sports talk media. There are however bad guys out there like me that actually enjoy hearing people with widely differing takes debate and defend their viewpoints to others, 95% of what they say may be goofs, but you may actually gain a different perspective, Uncle Terry was the master of dropping in what seemed to be an odd thought or two on a subject that you would later find out was actually the correct take on the matter. That kind of honest and exchange of ideas is no longer possible on WSCR, it's a sad day indeed when a media form that contains the term "talk" as a part of it's name no longer talks to anyone other than the spin master hosts and like minded experts they trot out there on a daily basis.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: New Mexico has no good pizza. Send help.
sheesh, this got unnecessarily intense. I go all the way back to when the Score first hit the airwaves and long for the days of Boers and Bernstein, the Monsters of the Mid-day, and the Heavy Fuel Crew. To me, Bernstein and Holmes are a welcome pairing. You get a little taste of the good old days plus the inherent weirdness that was so fun on Bernstein's Sunday morning shows in the mid/late 1990's. (I think?) Oh, and sports thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Enzo's big fat fucking chicken parm rolls
whatsamotta_u wrote:
sheesh, this got unnecessarily intense. I go all the way back to when the Score first hit the airwaves and long for the days of Boers and Bernstein, the Monsters of the Mid-day, and the Heavy Fuel Crew. To me, Bernstein and Holmes are a welcome pairing. You get a little taste of the good old days plus the inherent weirdness that was so fun on Bernstein's Sunday morning shows in the mid/late 1990's. (I think?) Oh, and sports thoughts.

How often have you listened in the last 5 years?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
We've beaten this dead horse numerous times, already. The station has sponsors are are broadcast partners with some of the local teams. That carries certain compliance and conduct.

The old days of guys talking sports with unfiltered opinions are gone and never coming back. It's over.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
This show sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Enzo's big fat fucking chicken parm rolls
Tall Midget wrote:
This show sucks.

But it's new.

Just kidding it's not new in any way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
BigW72 wrote:
We've beaten this dead horse numerous times, already. The station has sponsors are are broadcast partners with some of the local teams. That carries certain compliance and conduct.

The old days of guys talking sports with unfiltered opinions are gone and never coming back. It's over.

ESPN 1000 is pretty honest in their White Sox talk for being a broadcast partner compared to the Score/Cubs challenging transparency drivel. But, ignoring any Cubs topics of substance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
vitoscotti wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

ESPN 1000 is pretty honest in their White Sox talk for being a broadcast partner compared to the Score/Cubs challenging transparency drivel. But, ignoring any Cubs topics of substance.

is espn even paying for the rights to carry white sox games?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

On Monday's show, Bernstein speculated that MLB free agents (and speaking specifically about any future Oriole players) will need to consider the state they are moving to because they may not be able to live a free live.

No push back from Holmes, not that I expected it, but it's a pretty pathetic show to be bringing their garbage opinions into every show....

On Friday's show, comments about abortion without saying it.

The show is very woke.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
BD wrote:
On Monday's show, Bernstein speculated that MLB free agents (and speaking specifically about any future Oriole players) will need to consider the state they are moving to because they may not be able to live a free live.

That's a terrible take from Bernstein.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
BD wrote:

No push back from Holmes, not that I expected it, but it's a pretty pathetic show to be bringing their garbage opinions into every show....

On Friday's show, comments about abortion without saying it.

The show is very woke.

good catch. liberal think-tanks and institutes have been saying that the usa has been backsliding on democracy. the citizens united decision seemed to set that off over a decade ago and the recent dobbs decision only added fuel to their fire. common denominator appears to be supreme court decisions are making us less democratic.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

Jesus Christ, Bernstein. Pro athletes will go to any state where it's the most money. The biggest offer. That's what they all do.

If they need to get the wife or girlfriend or hooker an abortion they have enough money to get her to a state where it's allowed to cut the baby out.

Dumb ass thought by him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:42 am 

The point of being impregnated by a pro athlete by way of a random meeting isn't to not have the baby

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next