It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:44 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Another thing that was so silly during Larry’s last solo segment was his constant rallying cry that “when we move to the new time slot we’re gonna have FUN. Cuz that’s what we do. We have FUN and cause trouble!!!”

He thinks he’s some sort of generational radio talent whose opinions actually make waves or matter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Crick Ramp wrote:
Another thing that was so silly during Larry’s last solo segment was his constant rallying cry that “when we move to the new time slot we’re gonna have FUN. Cuz that’s what we do. We have FUN and cause trouble!!!”

He thinks he’s some sort of generational radio talent whose opinions actually make waves or matter.

Fun may be the last word I’d use to describe Leery’s show.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
billypootons wrote:

10 years ago i thought i'd be listening to bernstein until he retired. B&B was by far my favorite show and had been since i started listening to WSCR. how quickly that changed after terry left

Same for me. I've never had a sports personality go from being one of my absolute favorites to an afterthought like Bernstein has. I used to watch sports on mute and listen to B&B podcasts every night. It was one of my favorite parts of every day. But since Goff replaced Boers, it has gone downhill to the point now where Bernstein is just about PTFB radio for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:39 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It used to be that you'd put up with the tedious from Dan -- the imaginary investigative journalism, the Clippers-Jazz analysis, the Social Power of Sports -- to get to the fun stuff. There's no more fun stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
bernstein was on the sjw prowl today - he thought he had mendick in a 'gotcha moment'. mendick was asked by holmes: "who should get mic'd up on the sox"? mendick: "luis robert, his english is improving, but isn't so good". bernstein cuts off holmes: "HOW'S YOUR SPANISH!?! only 'mediocre white male' was missing from bernstein's curt response. mendick easily diffused the situation, telling bernstein that lance lynn wants to learn spanish from babbel - that seemed to satisfy dan. on to the next question about the airplane seating chart - i hope the sox POC aren't forced to sit in the back of the plane.

i hope the sox charter flight shows the disney movie, 'encanto'; you mediocre white male beisbol jugador.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
this is a cardinal rule of mine. If a host has to repeatedly talk about how fun his show is, it's not fun.

This pairing is another Score spitball to the eye socket of its fans. How many are left, tough to tell. I was actually starting to listen to some Bernsie solo.

Now it's only going to be drive time again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:08 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Didn't Larry opt out of a station-wide fantasy draft a year or so ago? I believe all the shows were going to take part, but Larry refused to be told what to do. Now that's a fun guy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:38 am 

this has always been Sir

If you understand this, his show can be hilarious. It's almost like watching The Jerk, Dumb and Dumber or any other comedy where the protagonist has no understanding of self. You can roll off almost as many absurd thoughts from him as you can Bernstein: Ivy League but went to DePaul; college baseball player; MLB tryout, etc. All of that is so much fun to laugh about if you know the truth of this stories.

Sir isn't a young guy, and he's been a back bencher at the station for the overwhelming majority of his career. Then he had a two hour show in the deadest of day parts. Yet he insists that his work should be up there with Monsters, HFC, B and B or even Mully. While technically better, I wouldn't even rate his work as memorable as when Goff and Drinky were at their best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:49 am 

It's really sort of amazing that he and the Score never gave up on each other. Hamp and Holmes was a flop, he got passed over for promotion numerous times, but never left. And it's not as if the alternative was to go become a director of communications for Prospect Heights public schools or whatever ex-Score guys have so implausibly been doing lately. He could have been the full-time sports guy for Fox 32 or something. But no, he stuck it out to finally be reunited with his true love, Dan Bernstein.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Curious Hair wrote:
It's really sort of amazing that he and the Score never gave up on each other. Hamp and Holmes was a flop, he got passed over for promotion numerous times, but never left. And it's not as if the alternative was to go become a director of communications for Prospect Heights public schools or whatever ex-Score guys have so implausibly been doing lately. He could have been the full-time sports guy for Fox 32 or something. But no, he stuck it out to finally be reunited with his true love, Dan Bernstein.

As a true creator of art and voice of the people, he would never put status, money or prestige over his desire to provide a much needed public service

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:19 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

He's been rejected several times as a tv talent, including NBC. He would take something like that were it available.

as a radio host, he is loyal to the score. I'm not sure anyone else is pounding on his door but Mitch takes care of him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

He's been rejected several times as a tv talent, including NBC. He would take something like that were it available.

as a radio host, he is loyal to the score. I'm not sure anyone else is pounding on his door but Mitch takes care of him.

Kudos to him for loyalty. Kudos to him knowing what side of the bread gets buttered. MANY don't.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Saying that Holmes is loyal to the Score is the equivalent of observing that America was loyal to his sex doll.

In both cases, the "loyalty" is driven by a lack of other alternatives.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:32 pm 

He could have gone to Milwaukee and lapped a lot of the local "talent." Wasn't the star of WSSP from Palatine?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
good dolphin wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Let's face it- Holmes does fill a need at the Score. And while he's weird and not much better than average, he has a loyal following and has a lot of history at the station. He's an easy host to find a spot for.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
He's also been loyal to his people and he's used his show to give folks an "opportunity". He's a solid professional who is really good at talking football, and his comic book nerdom is appealing to MANY.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:25 pm 

I think he’s a solid host in terms of professionally running a show. He can cut to commercial adequately and generally seems to have prepared for his shows. He’s also incredibly, incredibly boring and his segments are either unlistenable or so poorly conceived you could convince me he’s doing a local sports radio version of The Producers.

I don’t know that he’s particularly good at anything, but it’s fine. He’s not going to make Bernstein worse than he’s already been. I’ll still listen sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:32 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I think he’s a solid host in terms of professionally running a show. He can cut to commercial adequately and generally seems to have prepared for his shows. He’s also incredibly, incredibly boring and his segments are either unlistenable or so poorly conceived you could convince me he’s doing a local sports radio version of The Producers.

I don’t know that he’s particularly good at anything, but it’s fine. He’s not going to make Bernstein worse than he’s already been. I’ll still listen sometimes.

Yeah. Remarkably boring. Who fucking cares what his top 5 candy bars are? Nobody.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:37 pm 

Darkside wrote:

Yeah. Remarkably boring. Who fucking cares what his top 5 candy bars are? Nobody.

He reminds me of the type of guy who thinks it’s hilarious to discuss whether a hot dog is a sandwich.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:39 pm 

Darkside wrote:

He reminds me of the type of guy who thinks it’s hilarious to discuss whether a hot dog is a sandwich.

That sounds ike a full day of programming for parkins and speigs.

Speaking of which, what a delightfully banal conversation today on their show about a clogged drain. Riveting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
He could have gone to Milwaukee and lapped a lot of the local "talent." Wasn't the star of WSSP from Palatine?

Holmes couldn't lap a quadriplegic in a foot race. Your enthusiasm for his broadcasting ability is odd to say the least.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:19 pm 

Like most people here, I think he's pretty good at the fundamentals of broadcasting in a way that Score guys aren't necessarily good at. He's a student of the game, if nothing else. It's his behavior around Bernstein that makes him so insufferable: the sycophancy, the imitation, the weirdly conspiratorial tone he takes where he acts like the two of them are the only people in the whole world who Get It. He's at his best, however limited that may be, when kept far away from "wooooow, Daaaaan." Mitch's opinion varies.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:25 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Like most people here, I think he's pretty good at the fundamentals of broadcasting in a way that Score guys aren't necessarily good at. He's a student of the game, if nothing else. It's his behavior around Bernstein that makes him so insufferable: the sycophancy, the imitation, the weirdly conspiratorial tone he takes where he acts like the two of them are the only people in the whole world who Get It. He's at his best, however limited that may be, when kept far away from "wooooow, Daaaaan." Mitch's opinion varies.

And away from any females.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:54 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
It's really sort of amazing that he and the Score never gave up on each other.

It helps when Chunga is simultaneously running the station and managing your career.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 am 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:

:lol:

OK, but you've also suggested he passed up a lucrative position as the Fox 32 sports anchor out of loyalty to the Score and that he could rather easily achieve radio stardom in Milwaukee. These claims seem unmoored from reality.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:09 am 

Nas wrote:
He's also been loyal to his people and he's used his show to give folks an "opportunity". He's a solid professional who is really good at talking football, and his comic book nerdom is appealing to MANY.

He is the most technically proficient host at the station. He's Score Solieri.

I would never say he doesn't belong on the radio.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:17 am 

DAC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Let's face it- Holmes does fill a need at the Score. And while he's weird and not much better than average, he has a loyal following and has a lot of history at the station. He's an easy host to find a spot for.

I don't think he really does have a loyal following. There isn't proof that he can pull ratings at any part of the day. Maybe the Feder followers could shed some light.

The truth about Bernstein, who does have a niche following, is that he has never been a ratings grabber either. He almost always lost listeners from the show before him and they returned when he went off the air. I don't think he has ever been #1 at the station in grabbing listeners. However, Mitch likes him as well and chose to elevate him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:19 am 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:

He is the most technically proficient host at the station. He's Score Solieri.

I would never say he doesn't belong on the radio.

He's technically proficient in some areas such as making transitions or conducting interviews (provided that he has time to plan them out--he's not that great interviewing on the fly, especially compared to Bernstein or even Parkins), but he also sometimes struggles with live reads and struggles with concisely previewing show content. I don't think he's as "fundamentally sound" as many here seem to believe he is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:55 am 

T-shirts are a hindrance when Larry does morning Yoga poses. What a relevation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:09 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next