It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:54 pm 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
10 spots to to fill on the college application regarding activities and a Bernstein will fill all 10.

my guess is he also pretends that he donates time to One Step Camp and that he will use it as the basis for his essay

I could see the Bernsteins also pretending the sewed masks together for first responders during covid

You're better than this, MAGA Dolphin.

you interpret this as addressing nepotism. I'm critiquing the performative nature of high school extracurriculars done solely with an eye on a college application

Grandpa Bernstein isn't letting another smart generation waste his talents in entertainment

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
10 spots to to fill on the college application regarding activities and a Bernstein will fill all 10.

my guess is he also pretends that he donates time to One Step Camp and that he will use it as the basis for his essay

I could see the Bernsteins also pretending the sewed masks together for first responders during covid

you interpret this as addressing nepotism. I'm critiquing the performative nature of high school extracurriculars done solely with an eye on a college application

Grandpa Bernstein isn't letting another smart generation waste his talents in entertainment

Yeah, but then you're just pointing out that we have an educational system that benefits those who have the means more than those who don't. Your child can have identical grades as a Bernstein kid, but the Bernstein kid did test prep from 7th grade on with an elite organization. The Bernstein kid scores slightly higher than your child and gets the spot over your child. Is that fair? No. Sini's favorite saying applies.

Everyone tries to game the system in some way. Even the schools do when it comes to their rankings. I don't blame the Bernstein family for doing it.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:19 pm 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Yeah, but then you're just pointing out that we have an educational system that benefits those who have the means more than those who don't. Your child can have identical grades as a Bernstein kid, but the Bernstein kid did test prep from 7th grade on with an elite organization. The Bernstein kid scores slightly higher than your child and gets the spot over your child. Is that fair? No. Sini's favorite saying applies.

Everyone tries to game the system in some way. Even the schools do when it comes to their rankings. I don't blame the Bernstein family for doing it.

I'm pointing out that kids are jaded when deciding on how to spend their free time

It doesn't take wealth. It takes direction, usually from a hyper focused parent. I know a few people of modest means scamming the system for scholarships/entry by racking up "volunteer hours".

Test prep is another entirely different topic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:25 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I'm pointing out that kids are jaded when deciding on how to spend their free time

It doesn't take wealth. It takes direction, usually from a hyper focused parent. I know a few people of modest means scamming the system for scholarships/entry by racking up "volunteer hours".

Your solution benefits folks with more means than the current flawed system.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:34 pm 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Your solution benefits folks with more means than the current flawed system.

I don't have a solution. I said the current system relies almost entirely on GPA/ACT/SAT and lies that it cares about extracurriculars equally, causing kids to pretend to care about things in which they really have no interest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:40 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:

I don't have a solution. I said the current system relies almost entirely on GPA/ACT/SAT and lies that it cares about extracurriculars equally, causing kids to pretend to care about things in which they really have no interest.

I apologize. I interpreted this as you wanting schools to only focus on grades and ACT/SAT

"if admissions was really honest, they'd tell kids that it matters so far less than GPA and ACT/SAT that it isn't worth the amount of effort so often poured into it"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:46 pm 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I apologize. I interpreted this as you wanting schools to only focus on grades and ACT/SAT

"if admissions was really honest, they'd tell kids that it matters so far less than GPA and ACT/SAT that it isn't worth the amount of effort so often poured into it"

If I were a school, I'd probably be looking at leadership and character principally, but that can be subjective. The Academies seem to find a way to do it...and produce a better product.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:04 am 

It's not nepotism to do an unpaid podcast with your kid from your basement.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:

How did you find out about this podcast? Was it on a 50,000 watt blowtorch with two hosts that promoted it? Did they hear through the grapevine about this podcast and completely on their own, gave a young Bernstein a call and asked him on?

You're the same guy who criticized the nepotism, saying that was the wrong thing to. So who are you crappin"? No, no, no, don't crap me now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:13 am 

good dolphin wrote:

It's a salaried Audacy backed podcast.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:16 am 

Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

How did you find out about this podcast? Was it on a 50,000 watt blowtorch with two hosts that promoted it? Did they hear through the grapevine about this podcast and completely on their own, gave a young Bernstein a call and asked him on?

You're the same guy who criticized the nepotism, saying that was the wrong thing to. So who are you crappin"? No, no, no, don't crap me now.

I spent 5+ posts explaining what I was criticizing and you still don't understand.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
vitoscotti wrote:
Ironic that Bernstein (along with Julie) have been harsh critics of nepotism in sports media.

This says it all.
I don't fault Dan Bernstein for trying to help his son...I would do the same. I fault Bernstein for being a hypocrite.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Nice. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:47 am 

BigW72 wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
Ironic that Bernstein (along with Julie) have been harsh critics of nepotism in sports media.

This says it all.
I don't fault Dan Bernstein for trying to help his son...I would do the same. I fault Bernstein for being a hypocrite.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:31 pm 

Bernstein has viciously mocked, and belittled broadcasters (and their work) who have seemingly benefitted from nepotism behind their backs. He's had some of those he's mocked on as guests and conveniently put his criticisms on the back burner then praises them during interviews. He's also repeatedly mocked media people doing podcasts with their kids.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I spent 5+ posts explaining what I was criticizing and you still don't understand.

I do but the line works better if I don't.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:57 pm 

Wasn’t Dan’s father close to the original owners of the Score?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Regular Reader wrote:
Wasn’t Dan’s father close to the original owners of the Score?

I thought he was an equity partner in a multi-national law firm, not to say that both things can't be true.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:23 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
blackhawksfan wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

That's what I was thinking, how come Dan isn't mentoring some black kid from the inner city who wants to become a radio personality lol

They tried that in 2017

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

That's what I was thinking, how come Dan isn't mentoring some black kid from the inner city who wants to become a radio personality lol

They tried that in 2017

Nah son, Goff is from the mean streets of Evanston.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:30 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
Bernstein has viciously mocked, and belittled broadcasters (and their work) who have seemingly benefitted from nepotism behind their backs. He's had some of those he's mocked on as guests and conveniently put his criticisms on the back burner then praises them during interviews. He's also repeatedly mocked media people doing podcasts with their kids.

Ian Eagle got his kid a job doing Clippers games straight out of college. Not exactly town to town, up and down the dial. I hope Eagle fils isn't trying poorly to do a Kevin Harlan impression, too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:37 am 

From Jim O'Donnell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:25 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
From Jim O'Donnell

Shots Fired!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Panino's
Does Bernstein hate his daughter? She is almost never brought up, while his son is referenced multiple times an episode. I almost started doubting my memory that he actually had a daughter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:12 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Derplington wrote:
Does Bernstein hate his daughter? She is almost never brought up, while his son is referenced multiple times an episode. I almost started doubting my memory that he actually had a daughter.

She must be straight and unathletic. Otherwise he'd be celebrating her daily.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:06 am 

:twisted:
Derplington wrote:

He mentioned a couple years ago she had diabetes that had to be monitored. Always in my prayers for much good health.

Here's a Tribune article from Sep 28, 2005

Amputation is a funny subject. In fact, it is a laugh riot.

At least that's the approach on Dan Bernstein's and Terry Boers' afternoon show on WSCR-AM 670.

Ron Santo, a double amputee, is the source of all kinds of material for Bernstein and Boers. They have been poking fun at his condition for years.

The duo did it again Tuesday. Bernstein talked about how Santo "stumps around."

Later, Bernstein read an e-mail about Santo that had the punch line, "signed Dave Dravecky." You remember the former San Francisco Giants pitcher who had his left arm amputated because of cancer.

Funny stuff, huh?

The jokes are part of the anything-goes format in sports talk radio these days. It isn't enough to talk about Kyle Orton's five interceptions. To get listeners into the tent, some personalities evidently believe they have to be so irreverent that good taste is an afterthought.

As a longtime liberal listener (the three L's), I'm willing to go a reasonable distance before my buttons get pushed. But the remarks about Santo go beyond the line on so many levels.

Two straight winters I went to Santo's home in Arizona after he had undergone surgery to remove his legs below the knees. I saw how he struggled to cope with a new life, learning how to walk first without one leg and then without both of them.

All Santo talked about was his desire to retain enough mobility to play with his grandson Sam and to ride his horse. For a man who played baseball at the highest level, the loss of his legs was a jarring experience.

Yet Santo pushed on. Remarkably, he continues to call Cubs games at home and on the road. That's no small feat given his condition. Anybody who saw his son Jeff's documentary, "This Old Cub," had to feel compassion watching the extensive routine Santo has to endure just to start his day.

Obviously, Bernstein and Boers didn't see the film.

Then there's the matter of why Santo lost his legs--complications from diabetes. It is an insidious disease that wreaks havoc on the human body. If you're a diabetic, one of your main fears is that you could lose a leg. It can start with a simple sore on your foot that doesn't heal, as was the case with Santo.

By making fun of Santo and his amputations, Bernstein and Boers also are minimizing the seriousness of diabetes. Their jokes are incredibly offensive to anyone who suffers from the disease, or knows somebody who does. And that's virtually everyone because it is the rare family that hasn't been touched by diabetes.

When contacted Wednesday, Bernstein's first reaction was, "We've been telling those jokes for years."

Sure, that validates everything.

Bernstein went on to explain how he and Boers poke fun at all sorts of subjects, including themselves.

Does that include making jokes about a person who lost his legs to an insidious disease? Isn't that just a bit tasteless? Is diabetes a laughing matter?

Bernstein responded to those points essentially by saying, "You're entitled to your opinion."

Bernstein concluded, "Anyone who is engaged in satirical humor must be prepared for people to disagree with your humor."

It really is a shame Bernstein believes he has to resort to that kind of humor.

He is easily the smartest guy in local sports talk radio. His insights into the Eddy Curry situation, for example, go way beyond what you normally hear on WSCR or WMVP-AM 1000. Yet people will remember him more for his tasteless cracks about Santo.

Boers chose not to comment publicly. There is some personal history between him and Santo. Boers has said on the air that at Mike Murphy's wedding a few years back, Santo basically told him he was an idiot.

Boers obviously has hard feelings toward Santo. If he wants to lampoon him for the way he calls a game, or the way he played the game, that's fair.

But joking about a person's physical infirmity is way out of bounds. It goes beyond just that individual. In this case, it hits at the core of everyone who has had to deal with diabetes.

Sunday, Santo will host the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation's annual walk. Through Santo's efforts, the foundation has raised millions of dollars. His situation has increased awareness in the ongoing effort to find a cure for the disease.

So if Bernstein and Boers continue to feel the need to make light of Santo's amputations, maybe they also could put in a plug for people to support Sunday's walk and future diabetes research. At least some good would come out of their infantile humor.

That's assuming you still are listening. As Bernstein says, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

If you're offended by what they say about Santo, let them know. Or better yet, don't listen.

Then Santo and other diabetics would get the last laugh.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:29 am 

Quote:
Bernstein went on to explain how he and Boers poke fun at all sorts of subjects, including themselves.

Does that include making jokes about a person who lost his legs to an insidious disease? Isn't that just a bit tasteless? Is diabetes a laughing matter?

Bernstein responded to those points essentially by saying, "You're entitled to your opinion."

Bernstein concluded, "Anyone who is engaged in satirical humor must be prepared for people to disagree with your humor."

He engaged in satirical humor once. Sometimes I forget.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:39 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Bernstein's mockery of Santo never struck me as particularly satirical or particularly humorous. It was just insulting while attempting--and failing--to be transgressive.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:03 pm 

A lot of it was "the media tells you he's a Good Person but we're here to tell you he's actually a Bad Person," which was kind a precursor to post-Leitch Deadspin.