It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:58 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Larry Holmes talks about the certain upheaval coming in the sports media industry with continued shrinking advertising revenues, Sinclair's looming bankrupty, and the Score's uncertain future.

It's of course a pity party, condescending, rudimentary, preachy, and him bragging about his BMWs and hefty nest egg.

He's very subdued in his speaking manner. None of his Score voice raising, belligerence, or signature fake laugh.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/i ... 0596654946

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:57 am 

not clicking

I know Sir doesn't have the significant cost of kids, but I'm regularly surprised by the people with nice but not great incomes who spend it on a luxury car.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:11 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Larry Holmes talks about the certain upheaval coming in the sports media industry with continued shrinking advertising revenues, Sinclair's looming bankrupty, and the Score's uncertain future.

It's of course a pity party, condescending, rudimentary, preachy, and him bragging about his BMWs and hefty nest egg.

He's very subdued in his speaking manner. None of his Score voice raising, belligerence, or signature fake laugh.

What's cool is he literally helped take down the entire industry. The only people that can make sports media succeed are the broadcasters. And he is part of the reason the industry isn't succeeding.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:57 am 

Bizarre when fatherly Larry preaches about the importance of nest egg savings in case of layoffs implying fellow media members are too ignorant to invest and save.

Larry plays his eternal victim card what he's had to endure to keep House of L podcast active and the public service it is.

Will be interesting what Score PD Mitch Rosen's reaction will be to a host podcasting about his employers imminent financial doom and if Larry is breaking company protocol.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:22 am 

for the life of me, I don't know why these employers allow their on air talent to podcast, unless its content so unrelated to your work that it wouldn't be broadcast.

even so, the golden age of the Score featured hosts talking about things unrelated to sports

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:11 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
good dolphin wrote:
not clicking

I know Sir doesn't have the significant cost of kids, but I'm regularly surprised by the people with nice but not great incomes who spend it on a luxury car.

I drive a Toyota.

I don't like to brag about it.

But, I drive a Toyota.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:17 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
not clicking

I drive a Toyota.

But, I drive a Toyota.

Prius?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:17 am 

good dolphin wrote:
not clicking

I drive a Toyota.

But, I drive a Toyota.

#metoo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Giving it a listen now.

I always viewed purchasing a nice car as something worthwhile if you can swing it. Think of how much time one spends in his/her car. It is worth paying for a sweet ride. But then again, I grew up in a car family and always loved cars.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
denisdman wrote:
Giving it a listen now.

I always viewed purchasing a nice car as something worthwhile if you can swing it. Think of how much time one spends in his/her car. It is worth paying for a sweet ride. But then again, I grew up in a car family and always loved cars.

Agreed. I drive a Silverado because I like it and it is useful to me in my hobbies. My wife has a Hyundai. You I know have extra income but I don't think you overdo the car.

If I had F you money I would have a corvette (new or classic) no doubt. But I don't think all that much about that I don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:59 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Giving it a listen now.

its like a humblebrag without having to speak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Giving it a listen now.

Im with Denny. I dont make huge money by any means but if I were single I could definitely afford and would drive something nice , BMW or an Audi for sure. Growing up poor it never entered into my mind to be able to ever afford anything nice, let alone a luxury car. Nothing wrong with splurging on yourself a little bit if you can afford it. Of all the things to rank on Leery about , I dont think this one is a big deal.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:15 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
badrogue17 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Giving it a listen now.

Im with Denny. I dont make huge money by any means but if I were single I could definitely afford and would drive something nice , BMW or an Audi for sure. Growing up poor it never entered into my mind to be able to ever afford anything nice, let alone a luxury car. Nothing wrong with splurging on yourself a little bit if you can afford it. Of all the things to rank on Leery about , I dont think this one is a big deal.

The Toyota I drive would make Homer Simpson proud.

But my kids are mad I'm not driving a McClaren.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
badrogue17 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Giving it a listen now.

The Toyota I drive would make Homer Simpson proud.

But my kids are mad I'm not driving a McClaren.

Oof. You must be on the Kennel side instead of the Worth side of the tracks.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:28 pm 

Been driving a regular Nissan Altima for years. Couldn’t care less about my own car except to regularly change the oil and keeping it modestly clean. Oddly enough I probably watch more car restoration/modification shows than anything. But I’ve always been glued to shows where something is being made/built since The French Chef on channel 11 as a kid.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I buy my vehicles and then drive them till the wheels fall of generally and probably spend more than I should on them. Ive generally been reluctant to go with foreign cars as most of the local shops don't really deal with them much and the dealers are 45-60 minutes away for all of them. The diesel bmw I had was great until it wasn't but the service was a royal pain in the ass. I wasn't sad when it was flatbed away for the last time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
UMN wrote:
I took the 4th wheel off my car to give the other tires more opportunities to work without it.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Since this thread has turned into a discussion about cars, the Barrett Jackson auto auction is appointment television for me every year around this time. It's taking place on the History Chanel and FYI. Every type of classic car you can possibly imagine is being auctioned off. What's cool for a guy like me, is that cars from the 80's and 90's have now achieved "classic" status and are being auctioned off with all those muscle cars from the late 60's and early 70's.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:20 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Since this thread has turned into a discussion about cars, the Barrett Jackson auto auction is appointment television for me every year around this time. It's taking place on the History Chanel and FYI. Every type of classic car you can possibly imagine is being auctioned off. What's cool for a guy like me, is that cars from the 80's and 90's have now achieved "classic" status and are being auctioned off with all those muscle cars from the late 60's and early 70's.

There are cars on there that look amazing but are fairly reasonably priced. But I would never buy a car without seeing it in person.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Warren Newson wrote:

There are cars on there that look amazing but are fairly reasonably priced. But I would never buy a car without seeing it in person.

I was amazed by that as well. There were beautiful looking mid 00's Mercedes convertibles, with low miles, going for mid teens to low twenty's. But, you're really just buying a used car at that point, and an auction is obviously caveat emptor.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
IkeSouth wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

What's cool is he literally helped take down the entire industry. The only people that can make sports media succeed are the broadcasters. And he is part of the reason the industry isn't succeeding.

Everything the dude says is BS, highly doubt there is much of a nest egg, just got divorced, and from what one can gather, it seems the stations benefits are terrible, so he was likely on his wifes plan before and now he is paying tons out of pocket.

This all could change if the station started putting out content that was unique and interesting rather than just a daily recital of all things deemed socially important by the SJW mafia, but it amazingly continues to seem that the WSCR hosts are interested in doing shows that appeal to only themselves and friends/family.

See a few possible eventual outcomes, one of the gaming entities jumps in and airs local games, with pre-post and some local gambling shows, and fills the rest of the day with national stuff, or they do local games with pre-post and the rest of the day is national stuff.

Quite honestly you get better content from pods without having to filter through all the stereotypically predictable SJW takes that all the hosts apparently must share because they fear they will lose the favor of the wokesters, be sentenced to a McNeilesque exile.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:50 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I was amazed by that as well. There were beautiful looking mid 00's Mercedes convertibles, with low miles, going for mid teens to low twenty's. But, you're really just buying a used car at that point, and an auction is obviously caveat emptor.

I was talking about this with my best friend who happens to be nuts about high end cars and he mentioned just how high the maintenance costs are and the glut of those kinds of cars on the market given how guys like him flip those cars fairly regularly.

I have to admit that about 25 years ago I was dying to stack enough paper to get a Ferrari 308. If I had it like that, I still would.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Yup, hear this all the time, especially about BMW's, it can cost tons of money for simply repairs, hear similar things about Jeeps, people want them all their lives and then can't wait to get rid of them.

Remember handing out with a buddy in high school and being surprised that his parents had two nicer cars parked outside of the doublewide trailer they lived in, seemed to be a misallocation of resources.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I was talking about this with my best friend who happens to be nuts about high end cars and he mentioned just how high the maintenance costs are and the glut of those kinds of cars on the market given how guys like him flip those cars fairly regularly.

I have to admit that about 25 years ago I was dying to stack enough paper to get a Ferrari 308. If I had it like that, I still would.

The break jobs alone on the newer ones are like 30 grand or something. I can't imagine but apparently that is why a lot of the high end cars do show up cheap as there are a bunch of needed repairs that cost an arm and a leg. I like cars, there are times I think if being stupid but even if I can afford it I'm not so sure that I should afford it if that makes sense. That said, there are a few I see that still get the thoughts turning.

Last edited by Drunk Squirrel on Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:48 pm 

Clawmaster wrote:
Yup, hear this all the time, especially about BMW's, it can cost tons of money for simply repairs, hear similar things about Jeeps, people want them all their lives and then can't wait to get rid of them.

Remember handing out with a buddy in high school and being surprised that his parents had two nicer cars parked outside of the doublewide trailer they lived in, seemed to be a misallocation of resources.

JagUars are the worst. Never buy one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:17 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Clawmaster wrote:

Does Ford still own them? For a while I would swear some Jags looked like fancy Tauruses.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
pittmike wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Does Ford still own them? For a while I would swear some Jags looked like fancy Tauruses.

They’ve been Indian owned since the OEM bailouts of ‘08.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:54 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

They’ve been Indian owned since the OEM bailouts of ‘08.

Jags and casinos. Odd pairing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:15 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Warren Newson wrote:

You think those carvana machines ever drop an extra vehicle like a vending machine will with a bag of chips?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:44 am 

Very bizarrely saint Larry Holmes had a part 2 of him talking the media down from a ledge with financial problems in the industry. Again he starts off pounding the need for saving money. Doesn't everybody with a half a brain put money in their well diversified 401k or similar account and also have some emergency money? He says he was wearing blinders until he heard a podcast of David Samson outlining the sports media upheaval coming. Fascinating the "House of L" podcast is a carryover of his problem not being able to create content having no business being in the industry in the first place. And when he drops the radio "I'm offended" personna now is father Larry "I'm worried" how even more exposed he is for lacking talent.