It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Warren Newson wrote:
I consider the players they drafted to be players they acquired during the rebuild. Of the young position players they brought in, they needed at least one to be a perennial All Star type and at least two or three to be above average starters. I would say Robert is an above average starter, but the rest are average at best.

All that being said, I think the young starting pitching they have developed has been good enough to win. That hasn't been part of the problem.

The young pitching pitch counts are unacceptable, that's not winning baseball. It needlessly gets you in jams, it taxes the bullpen, and provides a culture of not trusting your stuff. There's guys in the bullpen who do the same bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nardi wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
I consider the players they drafted to be players they acquired during the rebuild. Of the young position players they brought in, they needed at least one to be a perennial All Star type and at least two or three to be above average starters. I would say Robert is an above average starter, but the rest are average at best.

All that being said, I think the young starting pitching they have developed has been good enough to win. That hasn't been part of the problem.

The young pitching pitch counts are unacceptable, that's not winning baseball. It needlessly gets you in jams, it taxes the bullpen, and provides a culture of not trusting your stuff. There's guys in the bullpen who do the same bullshit.

Analytics has told these guys that they cant get thru a lineup 3 times so they dont care how many pitches they throw to get thru 5 . Its making them mentally weak non competitors looking over their shoulder for the manager to get them out of the game even if they do go past 5. Raised a generation of pussboy head cases . See Kopech, Michael.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:50 am 
1000 CLUB

Warren Newson wrote:

I don't really disagree about acquiring young talent from other teams, but do you think they have drafted well enough?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:46 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
They haven't drafted well enough in 30 years.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:55 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nardi wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

They often seem afraid to throw strikes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:01 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Analytics has told these guys that they cant get thru a lineup 3 times so they dont care how many pitches they throw to get thru 5 . Its making them mentally weak non competitors looking over their shoulder for the manager to get them out of the game even if they do go past 5. Raised a generation of pussboy head cases . See Kopech, Michael.

This used to be something that was said tongue in cheek. But as time goes by, I think analytics will actually support this.
It's a shame we rely on statistics over common sense.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
WestmontMike wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

This used to be something that was said tongue in cheek. But as time goes by, I think analytics will actually support this.
It's a shame we rely on statistics over common sense.

The 2014-15 Kansas City Royals found themselves incredibly deep in pitching...so deep they could follow this sort of logic. It was an anomaly. It's a pretty short list of baseball teams that can draft and scout THAT volume of quality pitching.

The data may be accurate in suggesting 3rd time through the pitcher will be less effective. History and data also prove that your BEST pitchers are in the starting rotation. Guys that aren't quite as effective are in the bullpen. Same result. Later in the game your pitching is lower in quality and runs get scored.

The Bottom line...teams that draft and scout good pitching tend to do well. The White Sox have not done that....not to mention, they draft and sign guys that can't fucking play defense or run bases.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Nardi wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I don't like it either, but that phenomenon seems to be endemic to baseball. I don't think you can call it a White Sox problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
BD wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I don't really disagree about acquiring young talent from other teams, but do you think they have drafted well enough?

Of course not.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Your top four starters the third time through should always be better than your 5th best reliever. If he isn't, you need to get rid of them.

For the #5 starter, who should ideally be a pre-arb guy with potential to be a #3 by his third service year, you should have a rookie as your sixth reliever who piggybacks with him and throws once through the lineup. It's ok for a playoff team to play .500 ball when their fifth starter is going.

The Rays have proven that for injury fill ins, the opener/bulk approach works if you have reasonable flexibility in your 40-man roster to shuttle guys to and from AAA.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:37 pm 

and head coaches should earn their money by knowing when to remove a pitcher in the moment, rather than being a slave to 6 innings/100 pitches

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
and head coaches should earn their money by knowing when to remove a pitcher in the moment, rather than being a slave to 6 innings/100 pitches

Look at idealistic Dolphin. Listen man, managers don't matter and it's been made sure they don't matter. Therefore, managers don't matter. Now let's just get our asses back to the cookie cutting factory.