It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Choke- Yes, Clutch- No
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I've been hearing Bernstein's thoughts on the alleged myth of clutch for years. However, I didn't learn until today that he believes in the flip side of the coin, choke. For what it's worth, I've always taken it as a given that both exist.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:40 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I never understood how you cannot think someone can be clutch or perform under increased pressure. Of Dan can’t measure it with the lazy stat driven way he consumes baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:43 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Warren Newson wrote:
I've been hearing Bernstein's thoughts on the alleged myth of clutch for years. However, I didn't learn until today that he believes in the flip side of the coin, choke. For what it's worth, I've always taken it as a given that both exist.

Choke exists. See Romo, Tony.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I heard that and he implied having seen data that confirms the existence of ‘choke’’ whereas as no such evidence exists for clutch.

He’s got a religious like faith in statistical measurements he doesn’t understand.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Darkside wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Choke exists. See Romo, Tony.

Or Greg Norman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
I heard that and he implied having seen data that confirms the existence of ‘choke’’ whereas as no such evidence exists for clutch.

He’s got a religious like faith in statistical measurements he doesn’t understand.

Wouldn't the guys who don't "choke" automatically be "clutch"?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I thought this had to do with him clutching his pearls about Northwestern, yet saying nothing about the score employing a person who chokes their coworkers

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:47 pm 

Yes, he did. However, there's got to be dozens of players out there who hit 20 points higher with runners in scoring position. I think, by any fair definition, that should be considered clutch.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:50 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

His definition of clutch is anyone who maintains their level of play in high pressure moments. That's why he thought clutch doesn't exist, it's just a guy doing what he normally would do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:55 pm 
Site Admin

Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

His definition of clutch is anyone who maintains their level of play in high pressure moments. That's why he thought clutch doesn't exist, it's just a guy doing what he normally would do.

Unless he choked.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:59 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Unless he choked.

Yes, which would be choking. So, according to him, there are guys who play the same all the time and guys who choke.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:03 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

No because they don't improve their play in high leverage situations rather they keep it at the same level. And people shouldn't confuse being clutch with trying harder. We know in basketball, football, and hockey that a sustained, increased effort can result in better performance but that isn't clutch. We've all seen veteran players and teams coast during the regular season and turn it on during the playoffs. That's not being clutch. Clutch and choke in Bernstein's context is dealing with sports like baseball and golf where increased effort doesn't make someone perform better. On the contrary it often makes players less effective in those sports. But definitely players can choke when they wilt under the pressure of the moment and their performance decreases. The idea of clutch is the result of a small sample size, hot streaks, and happenstance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
If clutch is the opposite of choke, Bernsteinian theory would seem to imply the existence of both.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

DAC wrote:
sports like baseball and golf where increased effort doesn't make someone perform better.

How do you know it doesn't? Because dan bernstein who never played anything at a significant level repeatedly says so?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
David Ortiz was clearly clutch

Probably some psychological reasons for that, both on Big Papi's part and his opponents

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
David Ortiz was clearly clutch

Probably some psychological reasons for that, both on Big Papi's part and his opponents

He cranked it up and tried harder in big moments. Don't tell bernstein.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:06 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
DAC wrote:
sports like baseball and golf where increased effort doesn't make someone perform better.

How do you know it doesn't? Because dan bernstein who never played anything at a significant level repeatedly says so?

There can be too much hustle in every sport. "Be quick, but don't hurry". Baseball and golf are sports, but they are sort of knockoffs on sports. Baseball is all specialized, especially pitching, and a far 2nd, catching. There is a time for pure effort, but it's rare. It's a sport of focus. Rah rah really doesn't get you anywhere. It gets you struck out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
DAC wrote:

There can be too much hustle in every sport. "Be quick, but don't hurry". Baseball and golf are sports, but they are sort of knockoffs on sports. Baseball is all specialized, especially pitching, and a far 2nd, catching. There is a time for pure effort, but it's rare. It's a sport of focus. Rah rah really doesn't get you anywhere. It gets you struck out.

I don't know one way or another but I'm not taking the word of a 5'7-3/4" shock jock.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
DAC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

No because they don't improve their play in high leverage situations rather they keep it at the same level. And people shouldn't confuse being clutch with trying harder. We know in basketball, football, and hockey that a sustained, increased effort can result in better performance but that isn't clutch. We've all seen veteran players and teams coast during the regular season and turn it on during the playoffs. That's not being clutch. Clutch and choke in Bernstein's context is dealing with sports like baseball and golf where increased effort doesn't make someone perform better. On the contrary it often makes players less effective in those sports. But definitely players can choke when they wilt under the pressure of the moment and their performance decreases. The idea of clutch is the result of a small sample size, hot streaks, and happenstance.

I think we all understand Bernstein's thoughts on this. But thanks for repeating them here.

Performance under pressure is clutch. Some people have the ability to rise to the moment and some people don't. Even if you call it keeping it at same level (and I disagree with that premise). That's clutch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:01 am 

Franky T wrote:
DAC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I think we all understand Bernstein's thoughts on this. But thanks for repeating them here.

Performance under pressure is clutch. Some people have the ability to rise to the moment and some people don't. Even if you call it keeping it at same level (and I disagree with that premise). That's clutch.

and you can see it in regular life situations as well, if you are observant.

There are plenty of people I know who kill it when tested, far beyond their day to day production.