It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Terry's visit
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:08 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I was gonna say Janesville had a dog track, but that was Delavan. Janesville had a Damon's: The Place for Ribs where I ate for free for about five years. That's probably why they're out of business now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Curious Hair wrote:
I was gonna say Janesville had a dog track, but that was Delavan. Janesville had a Damon's: The Place for Ribs where I ate for free for about five years. That's probably why they're out of business now.

So you didn't even have to ask how much for one rib?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Curious Hair wrote:

Kenosha had both a closed automotive plant and a closed dog track.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:34 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Nardi wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

So you didn't even have to ask how much for one rib?

Never got to go to Queen Bee Babbycue and get about a fifty-pounda rib, either.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:38 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Curious Hair wrote:

Also a Hooters which I think is now also closed. We stopped off there in 2011 to watch the Bears / Bucs London game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Kenosha had both a closed automotive plant and a closed dog track.

When I was in graduate school, I did a traffic count for what eventually became the dog track. Sitting in a car on a Saturday from 6-8pm with a clipboard logging traffic, of which there wasn't any. Made $100 including mileage, then spent $20 of it at the Brat Stop on my way back to Evanston.

I used to love the Kenosha track, it was full of broken down gamblers from Waukegan and Racine chasing $2 superfectas. I learned which kennels to consistently bet to place and show and would usually eek out enough profit for gas and a couple of beverages.

I never went to the Janesville Damon's, but when I was traveling for work in my early days, Damon's was always a solid dinner place which fit inside the reimbursement limit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Sock Puppet wrote:
This thread got me to re-reading parts of the book. Lots of interesting side stuff that the author included.

There were a few in Illinois on the Illinois-Indiana border that were pretty large (5500), but the largest in Illinois is now in Moline, which, despite this graphic, is # 9.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:07 pm 

pizza_Place: The Forum
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
There were a few in Illinois on the Illinois-Indiana border that were pretty large (5500), but the largest in Illinois is now in Moline, which, despite this graphic, is # 9.

We played at East Chicago Central, which has an 8,000-seat gym, and the rows are real steep. It would have been deafeningly loud. I remember thinking that place would've been awesome back in the 70s when ECC was a power and they were packing that place.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:55 pm 

Sock Puppet wrote:

We played at East Chicago Central, which has an 8,000-seat gym, and the rows are real steep. It would have been deafeningly loud. I remember thinking that place would've been awesome back in the 70s when ECC was a power and they were packing that place.

Did you play high school ball in Indiana?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Sock Puppet wrote:
This thread got me to re-reading parts of the book. Lots of interesting side stuff that the author included.

Wharton Field House, 7000 plus capacity and former home of the the Tri-City Blackhawks who are now your Atlanta Hawks. Coached by Red Auerbach at one point. Moline High School uses it now (Was built for the high school). It's a pretty cool looking building from outside, haven't been in it. The school actually plays on the filed the local NFL/AFL team played on back in the 20's too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: The Forum
Sock Puppet wrote:

Oh yeah. Did you?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:30 pm 

Sock Puppet wrote:
Sock Puppet wrote:

Oh yeah. Did you?

Oh God no. Horrible athlete here. But my dad's teams at Mount Carmel (in Chicago) scrimmaged against the Indiana guys on occasion back in the early '50s, and once in a rare moment of reflection, he lamented being "born in the wrong state."

PS--great book, too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:46 pm 

a genius wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Also a Hooters which I think is now also closed. We stopped off there in 2011 to watch the Bears / Bucs London game.

Last time I was there the bartender asked me to come back for Halloween so I could see her as a strawberry.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:03 pm 

One Post wrote:

If your point is that Knight was such an insufferable egomaniac prick that he ran off Bird in 10 minutes, well we are in agreement.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/larry-b ... a-problem/

Quote:
Bird chose Knight and the Hoosiers and arrived in Bloomington in the late summer of 1974. From the jump, things didn’t go well.

Many tales have been told when it comes to why Bird left just weeks after his arrival.

But Bird says there is really only one reason why he headed out to State Road 37 and hitchhiked home.

“Financially I just couldn’t stay. I just couldn’t do it,” Bird said in the TNT interview. “It wasn’t that I was homesick or didn’t like the coach.”

Quote:
The legendary IU basketball coach would later say he regretted his inattentiveness to Bird’s struggles during his short stint in Bloomington.

In his book “When March Went Mad: The Game That Transformed Basketball,” Seth Davis quotes Knight as saying: “Larry Bird is one of my great mistakes. I was negligent in realizing what Bird needed at that time in his life.”

Beyond his financial struggles, there are stories out there of IU players bulling Bird during workouts, and Bloomington being too big and fast-paced. Buckner was one of the team leaders and perhaps could have intervened, but he was away at a camp at the time.

Some have also suggested there was a personality conflict with the head coach.

But Bird says he would have meshed just fine with Knight.

“One thing about me, is I always say the coaches coach, and the players play,” Bird said. “Whatever they tell you, you gotta do. You might not like it, but you’re gonna do it. That’s what they do. That’s their expertise.

“I don’t think me and Coach Knight would have had a problem, because I never had a problem with a coach.”

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.