It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Terry's visit
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:58 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
i loved Todd Leary

whatever happened to him

Todd Lindeman :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: The Forum
Bagels wrote:
i loved Todd Leary

whatever happened to him

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/c ... 100074362/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
I have A Season on the Brink on my phone....I've got stuff to do this week, but I went ahead and read a few hours worth of it anyway. Hell of a book.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:09 pm 

Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
I have A Season on the Brink on my phone....I've got stuff to do this week, but I went ahead and read a few hours worth of it anyway. Hell of a book.

ONe of my all time favorites. I have read it twice and I am sure it will get more in future years

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I have an I.U. memory that, when I reflect on it, seems like it can't be correct. Did they used to show I.U. basketball games on Gary's PBS station (Channel 56)? I could of sworn that my dad and I used to watch I.U. basketball in the early 90's on that channel and they would have a pledge drive at halftime.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:11 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Warren Newson wrote:
I have an I.U. memory that, when I reflect on it, seems like it can't be correct. Did they used to show I.U. basketball games on Gary's PBS station (Channel 56)? I could of sworn that my dad and I used to watch I.U. basketball in the early 90's on that channel and they would have a pledge drive at halftime.

I can't confirm it, but PBS stations in Wisconsin used to carry the Badgers, so based on that state-school/public-TV precedent you're probably remembering correctly. Channel 50's COL was Gary but I don't think they ever leaned into it. Even Hoosier Millionaire was on 66, nominally Joliet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:20 am 

Warren Newson wrote:

Yes they did. I grew up watching a ton of games that way!

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:25 am 

A Bobby Knight pledge drive is a good bit. Operators are angrily pacing by.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:57 am 

Warren Newson wrote:

Yes....they were on some other weird (non-cable; we didn't get that until 1987) channel in Chicago, too. Like Channel 50 or some shit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Marie's
RFDC wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

If you're really old, they used to have Purdue and Indiana games on channel 44 in the mid 70s. Loved me some Bruce Parkinson from Purdue and John Laskowski of Indiana.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:22 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

From the vantage point of 2023, that's absolutely insane. I.U. must have been, more or less, giving its TV rights away.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:26 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
A Bobby Knight pledge drive is a good bit. Operators are angrily pacing by.

I remember that one of their pledge gifts was an I.U. door chime that would play the fight son every time the door to which you rigged it opened.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:27 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

From the vantage point of 2023, that's absolutely insane. I.U. must have been, more or less, giving its TV rights away.

It would happen up until the BTN. A lot of games weren't even televised. I know sometime in the mid 2000s at home I was watching Purdue play on PBS.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:19 pm 

Brick wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

It would happen up until the BTN. A lot of games weren't even televised. I know sometime in the mid 2000s at home I was watching Purdue play on PBS.

Surprising. The Illini seem more of a PBS crowd--a more intellectual, perhaps well-off, fanbase. Better grammar for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Brick wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Surprising. The Illini seem more of a PBS crowd--a more intellectual, perhaps well-off, fanbase. Better grammar for sure.

Yup.

Last edited by Tall Midget on Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:52 pm 

Sock Puppet wrote:
Guy from Washington Post wrote a book called "Where The Game Matters Most," chronicling the final year of Hoosier Hysteria. Pretty good read if you love what Indiana high school hoops used to be.

Got that book yesterday. Started it today. Really enjoying it. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:14 pm 

Brick wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

Yeah, I don't think the Big Ten really figured out TV for a long time. The ACC and SEC had that Jefferson Pilot syndication network that covered pretty much everything from DC/Baltimore on south, and that went back to late '70s, early '80s. I don't remember Illini basketball being on TV outside of national games.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:55 pm 

I thought the Illini were on Channel 26 or 66 in the 80s.

They were hard to catch. Seemed so much easier to find DePaul and then Indiana.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:07 pm 

Super 66 as local sports station is before my time. I only remember reruns of Mr. Ed before they took the Univision affiliation from 26.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
DePaul was on channel 9 all the time. Those were the days.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:46 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Sock Puppet wrote:
Guy from Washington Post wrote a book called "Where The Game Matters Most," chronicling the final year of Hoosier Hysteria. Pretty good read if you love what Indiana high school hoops used to be.

Got that book yesterday. Started it today. Really enjoying it. Thanks again for the recommendation.

You are welcome. Met the author at a DeKalb game, he seemed to appreciate the passion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:03 pm 

Sock Puppet wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Sock Puppet wrote:

You are welcome. Met the author at a DeKalb game, he seemed to appreciate the passion.

^
Same, just got it today. Read the foreward by Wooden and the first four chapters. Love it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:51 am 

This thread got me to re-reading parts of the book. Lots of interesting side stuff that the author included.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:56 am 

I am pleasantly surprised that Merrillville was covered. They were really good in that stretch. Davis was a stud. I graduated in 94 and my junior and senior year we played them in the sectional championship. They were men amongst boys. Lots of good memories.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:17 pm 

RFDC wrote:
I am pleasantly surprised that Merrillville was covered. They were really good in that stretch. Davis was a stud. I graduated in 94 and my junior and senior year we played them in the sectional championship. They were men amongst boys. Lots of good memories.

Was interesting to read that they didn't feel as if they were considered a part of the culture.

They must miss Lux there. He had some good teams as a coach.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:54 pm 

RFDC wrote:

Was interesting to read that they didn't feel as if they were considered a part of the culture.

They must miss Lux there. He had some good teams as a coach.

Yeah none of the region teams feel part of the culture. It is a strange dynamic to be a region rat.

Lux was a player on those Merrillville teams. He was really good too. Like 6'8 and could do it all. He was a good coach. He was also a helluva pitcher. He looked like he was stepping on home plate when he would stride and throw a fastball. My claim to fame is he had a no hitter going against us in sectionals my senior year. I broke up the no hitter getting a single to RF. No one else on our team even came close and they beat us on his 1 hit shutout.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:25 pm 

Those are good memories. I met Gildea when he did his part on Recker, and he loved Indiana's big gyms. I was with a dentist friend of mine, and we both said wait until you see the Wigwam. The James Dean anecdote is cool too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:58 pm 

Wasn't familiar with the Wigwam so I looked it up and found this story: https://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/spor ... diana.html

Man, this is depressing. Not "adults caring about high school sports" depressing, rather "large swaths of America are just dying and no one can stop it" depressing.

Quote:
Anderson, 40 miles northeast of Indianapolis, got its start in manufacturing when natural gas was discovered there in the 1890s. The city grew rapidly, adding downtown businesses, a four-story brick high school and, in 1925, the first Wigwam, which held 4,800 fans. Anderson’s center also included tightly packed subdivisions and the First Baptist Church, which had one of the state’s most vibrant youth groups and needed to use the Wigwam’s parking lot on Sundays.

Anderson’s population peaked at 70,000 in the 1970s, when General Motors operated more than 20 factories and employed one of every three Anderson adults. The city’s three high schools — Anderson, Madison Heights and Highland — each topped 2,000 in enrollment, and all three of their boys’ basketball teams regularly ranked in the state’s top 10.

After graduation, students knew they could land a factory job, work for 30 years, then retire with a pension and benefits. During the 1970s energy crisis, Anderson made headlines for its 22 percent unemployment rate. The city that had once staggered its factory shifts now staggered registration times at its unemployment office.

Those jobs never came back, and G.M. left for good in 1999. Today, one cannot travel far in Anderson without spotting an abandoned factory or a shuttered school, and their closings are related.

“We have empty houses all over,” says Roger Hensley, a volunteer at the local historical society. “The young people, those who could afford to, have left.”

This sounds just like Janesville.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
Wasn't familiar with the Wigwam so I looked it up and found this story: https://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/spor ... diana.html

Man, this is depressing. Not "adults caring about high school sports" depressing, rather "large swaths of America are just dying and no one can stop it" depressing.

Quote:
Anderson, 40 miles northeast of Indianapolis, got its start in manufacturing when natural gas was discovered there in the 1890s. The city grew rapidly, adding downtown businesses, a four-story brick high school and, in 1925, the first Wigwam, which held 4,800 fans. Anderson’s center also included tightly packed subdivisions and the First Baptist Church, which had one of the state’s most vibrant youth groups and needed to use the Wigwam’s parking lot on Sundays.

Anderson’s population peaked at 70,000 in the 1970s, when General Motors operated more than 20 factories and employed one of every three Anderson adults. The city’s three high schools — Anderson, Madison Heights and Highland — each topped 2,000 in enrollment, and all three of their boys’ basketball teams regularly ranked in the state’s top 10.

After graduation, students knew they could land a factory job, work for 30 years, then retire with a pension and benefits. During the 1970s energy crisis, Anderson made headlines for its 22 percent unemployment rate. The city that had once staggered its factory shifts now staggered registration times at its unemployment office.

Those jobs never came back, and G.M. left for good in 1999. Today, one cannot travel far in Anderson without spotting an abandoned factory or a shuttered school, and their closings are related.

“We have empty houses all over,” says Roger Hensley, a volunteer at the local historical society. “The young people, those who could afford to, have left.”

This sounds just like Janesville.

Except Anderson has Hoosier Park Racetrack and Casino and the best Buffalo Wild Wings in the country.

I was once the King of Hoosier Park too. I love Anderson, Indiana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YVgACfkf_I&t

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next