It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
brucester001 wrote:
Goff on with Spiegal today and so far just in transition I want to put my finger in a light socket. Ripping on rich people and being a racist .

Don't worry, Denni$ will have his butler take care of this. Bigotry against the wealthy is the scourge of humanity!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Tall Midget wrote:
brucester001 wrote:
Goff on with Spiegal today and so far just in transition I want to put my finger in a light socket. Ripping on rich people and being a racist .

Don't worry, Denni$ will have his butler take care of this. Bigotry against the wealthy is the scourge of humanity!

I’ll have my repo guy take his Kia before he gets off air.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:05 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
I mean Goffs an idiot but one thing we can all agree on rich people suck and need to pay way more in taxes. Hes not wrong on hating on rich people for contributing nothing. IE- Elon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Elon Musk dosent pay enough in taxes and contributes nothing ? Well that certainly is a take .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:00 am 

Nicklin3011 wrote:
I mean Goffs an idiot but one thing we can all agree on rich people suck and need to pay way more in taxes. Hes not wrong on hating on rich people for contributing nothing. IE- Elon

LOL, you are blind if you think most well off people do not pay enough in taxes. But hey great narrative.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:38 am 
1000 CLUB

denisdman wrote:
Nicklin3011 wrote:

LOL, you are blind if you think most well off people do not pay enough in taxes. But hey great narrative.

It has been a principle of Western Civilization--almost since its inception--that those who benefit the most from a given society should contribute the most to maintain that society.

I'm sure I don't need to remind you that the past 45 years have witnessed an astounding upward distribution of wealth and income to the wealthiest people in our society.

Are you sure that the biggest beneficiaries of this phenomenon--known to some :wink: as NEOLIBERALISM--shouldn't be doing more to ensure the stability of their inherently destabilizing political-economic system?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:47 am 

Income inequality is a huge problem. Our current system is highly progressive, and any honest view on each slice of income groups shows who pays the taxes. In fact, we have negative federal income taxes for the lowest income groups due to the earned income tax and other tax credits.

Income taxes are not going to solve income inequality. More taxes only feeds the spending problem of this country. A better education system might.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Tall Midget wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Nicklin3011 wrote:

It has been a principle of Western Civilization--almost since its inception--that those who benefit the most from a given society should contribute the most to maintain that society.

I'm sure I don't need to remind you that the past 45 years have witnessed an astounding upward distribution of wealth and income to the wealthiest people in our society.

Are you sure that the biggest beneficiaries of this phenomenon--known to some :wink: as NEOLIBERALISM--shouldn't be doing more to ensure the stability of their inherently destabilizing political-economic system?

Higher tax brackets is a very TINY part of the solution. Raise taxes? That's fine but I'm pretty sure the government does not know what the best use of the windfall is. Let's start with step 1 before we jump to step 7 or 8.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

denisdman wrote:
Income inequality is a huge problem. Our current system is highly progressive, and any honest view on each slice of income groups shows who pays the taxes. In fact, we have negative federal income taxes for the lowest income groups due to the earned income tax and other tax credits.

Income taxes are not going to solve income inequality. More taxes only feeds the spending problem of this country. A better education system might.

A better education system would be an effective solution only if our economy were generating enough high-paying jobs requiring a college degree to accommodate vast sectors of the population.

The last tine I checked Bureau of Labor Statistics data on this matter, they showed that the economy was adding far more low-paying service sector and health care jobs than it was high-paying engineering, biotech or similar positions. Jobs requiring MBAs are expanding at a high rate, but the absolute number of management positions added to the economy each year remains relatively insignificant. Moreover, this trend is expected to continue for the next decade or more. A better education system is therefore likely NOT a remedy for income inequality in the near or far term.

I largely agree with you about the tax issue. The rise of wealth and income inequality in the neoliberal era coincides perfectly with the decline in the power of organized labor. Increasing labor power in our society strikes me as a necessary first step to reducing economic inequality. We also need an aggressive, well designed industrial policy to revive domestic manufacturing and refill the "hollowed out" service and financial economy created under neoliberal hegemony.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
People talk of income inequality as if it is some absolute that even ever be equaled out. In a capitalist economic society there must be haves and have nots. You can raise the bottom I suppose but clamping down the top is foolish.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
People talk of income inequality as if it is some absolute that even ever be equaled out. In a capitalist economic society there must be haves and have nots. You can raise the bottom I suppose but clamping down the top is foolish.

There was a far more even distribution of income and wealth during the New Deal Era (1933-80) than there has been in the Neoliberal Era (1981-present). While it's true that economic inequality is a defining feature of capitalism, there are clear ways to temper it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:00 pm 

It’s actually the defining feature of most economic systems. And while Europe has lower inequality, they have higher unemployment, lower growth, lower per capita income, and less innovation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:40 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Oh no, not lower innovation. Those complacent Finns aren't figuring out how to make it so you have to subscribe to your refrigerator.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:58 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Oh no, not lower innovation. Those complacent Finns aren't figuring out how to make it so you have to subscribe to your refrigerator.

You want high paying jobs? Google, Microsoft, and Apple are good reasons to support American styled capitalism.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:12 pm 

That's the Apple that pretended to be Irish as a tax dodge, right?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:20 pm 

It is the responsibility of every corporation to legally minimize taxes. Nothing like the double Irish to reduce tax liability.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

denisdman wrote:
It’s actually the defining feature of most economic systems. And while Europe has lower inequality, they have higher unemployment, lower growth, lower per capita income, and less innovation.

Yeah, and most economic systems have produced violent conflict or upheaval in one form or another. As Marx famously wrote almost two centuries ago, "the history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles."

In any event, my original point of comparison was not between Europe and the U.S., but between two periods of U.S. history. The economic dynamism of the New Deal era certainly shows that the stark inequality that is both a key feature and the principal goal of neoliberalism can be avoided even as the corporate class maintains capitalist hegemony.

Finally, it should be noted that some of the main innovations of the neoliberal era--including the internet itself--are products of public investment, not private sector ingenuity. Moreover, much of the laboring class fueling private sector innovation acquired the skills necessary to contribute to our high-tech economy at public research institutions. Given this context, it can be reasonably argued that the Morrill Land Grant Act of 1862 stands as the greatest catalyst of innovation in the history of the United States, and one of the greatest such catalysts in the history of the world.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:09 am 

"Show me where I said that. Show me exactly where I said that [the Iowa players like to call LSU players the n-word]"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:35 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Yeah, and most economic systems have produced violent conflict or upheaval in one form or another. As Marx famously wrote almost two centuries ago, "the history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles."

In any event, my original point of comparison was not between Europe and the U.S., but between two periods of U.S. history. The economic dynamism of the New Deal era certainly shows that the stark inequality that is both a key feature and the principal goal of neoliberalism can be avoided even as the corporate class maintains capitalist hegemony.

Finally, it should be noted that some of the main innovations of the neoliberal era--including the internet itself--are products of public investment, not private sector ingenuity. Moreover, much of the laboring class fueling private sector innovation acquired the skills necessary to contribute to our high-tech economy at public research institutions. Given this context, it can be reasonably argued that the Morrill Land Grant Act of 1862 stands as the greatest catalyst of innovation in the history of the United States, and one of the greatest such catalysts in the history of the world.

Every political and economic system has class struggle. And many of these systems try so hard to make everything equal- be it the social democracies of Europe or any of the communist systems, result in much lower overall economic activity. What the U.S. has accomplished in a quite messy way is create the largest economy in the world with a huge middle class and the highest per capita GDP of any major country. And for all the concern about a shrinking middle class, as I have shown many times here, the shrinkage is because so many have moved into the upper middle class category. Meaning, our economy has created a significant amount of high paying jobs.

Now there is a place for government spending on critical infrastructure. But I do not think going back to New Deal tax rates, over 90%, make much sense.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:20 pm 

What is the non-critical infrastructure for which there is no place for government spending?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:21 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Curious Hair wrote:
What is the non-critical infrastructure for which there is no place for government spending?

A new Bears/Sox stadium

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:22 pm 

Good answer, good answer, good answer. Show me "A new Bears/Sox stadium"!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:23 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

Office tower in Manhattan.
Power Plants.
Transmission lines.
Cable/Internet fiber.
Satellites for non governmental use.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:38 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Power Plants.
Transmission lines.
Cable/Internet fiber.

What about the critical infrastructure of Social Security, medicare, medicaid, snap, section 8 housing, and the progressive tax structure? What about property taxes for the non-critical funding of schools? The Earned Income Tax credit?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:41 pm 

Nardi wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Power Plants.
Transmission lines.
Cable/Internet fiber.

What about the critical infrastructure of Social Security, medicare, medicaid, snap, section 8 housing, and the progressive tax structure? What about property taxes for the non-critical funding of schools? The Earned Income Tax credit?

Love em all. I want more.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:43 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Nardi wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Power Plants.
Transmission lines.
Cable/Internet fiber.

Love em all. I want more.

Me too. I'm not a libertarian though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Sure thing Goff , you were asked back and turned them down . Yep .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I texted the station, and he responded. He told me he took the knot out of his chest and put it in his pocket.

Despite living in Evanston, Goff is the balck uncle who makes everything rhyme. Years ago, those uncles were former pimps. I've never had that skill, but I still laugh at it like I did when I was six.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:02 pm 

I knew he wasn't going to be able to keep his race-war tendencies to himself after that game. Not like it took a lot of detective work; he said the Iowa players call black people the n-word.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:05 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I knew he wasn't going to be able to keep his race-war tendencies to himself after that game. Not like it took a lot of detective work; he said the Iowa players call black people the n-word.

He’s doing great. Just ask him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next