It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:35 am 

You guys are damn serious about this!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
rogers park bryan wrote:

Looking at Bernsie's comments in the post above yours, I have to wonder why he watches sports. I watch for the excitement and entertainment. Why even have a regular season then? That was an exciting finish, and I was excited, so I guess that makes me an idiot. Maybe I should switch over to some staged reality show?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:42 am 

Its just getting a little too serious for me Dennis

Who cares? Change the channel. Or admit that you like to hate the show like JORR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
denisdman wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Looking at Bernsie's comments in the post above yours, I have to wonder why he watches sports. I watch for the excitement and entertainment. Why even have a regular season then? That was an exciting finish, and I was excited, so I guess that makes me an idiot. Maybe I should switch over to some staged reality show?

Thus the bit. He's clearly watching too. He often mentions going into full meatball mode during Bears games. It's what he does.

Like KS said, you like it or you don't. It's my favorite show in the city by a lot. That doesn't say anything good or bad about me just like it doesn't say anything about people who don't like it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:44 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
denisdman wrote:
JORR I never bought that the show was a bit. Their "act" seemed too damn real to me. Terry=lazy and Dan=mean. They are both incredibly talented, but Terry has packed it in and Dan's arrogance and rigidity make it a tough listen for me. As I have said many times, I think Terry is one of the most genuinely funny people on radio. It's a shame.

Terry is a racetrack character. You could replace the guy in the wheelchair on Luck with Terry and the show wouldn't miss a beat. He's a miserable prick, but there's humanity there. And he has a childish sense of humor that tempers his curmudgeonly crankiness. He really loves baseball and even though he acts like he doesn't give a fuck ("I'm so over it."), he does. And he watches games. And he knows the players. Like I've said before, it's really hard to talk for five hours a day as a character or something you're not. Mike North can wear all the Sox gear he wants, but he just can't hide the fact that he's a Cubs fan when you listen to him enough.

li'l danny, on the other hand, is just a miserable prick with very little to redeem him. He has an obvious inferiority complex and is always trying to show that he's the smartest guy in the room. It's easy for me to see what he's doing because I used to do it too. Most of us eventually meet people who are really intelligent and come to the realization that we're not so smart after all. Then there are those like danny and Phil Jackson who spend their entire lives within a context where they are far and away the smartest guys and they are almost never in a position to confront anyone but morons. danny thinks he's a doctor and a lawyer and a tax expert. He really just sounds like a dope.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:48 am 

I seriously want to call into the show today and say "There is no reason to watch the NBA until the playoffs. The games are meaningless and just glorified exhibitions. College basketball's regular season matters a whole lot more". Do you think Dan would agree with me?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
i don't think the bulls can beat the heat either..rip is a bum and seem like last year..best record in regular season and lose in conf finals.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:50 am 

Keeping Score wrote:
I don't really want to attack the arguer, but when you start off as Zan, then sign back in as Scorehead, and then change it up to pasta, just to reinforce you're argument........

I mean usually I like a good 3 on 1, but don't then call me a whore.
That is an all-time bad mult accusation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:52 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
denisdman wrote:
JORR I never bought that the show was a bit. Their "act" seemed too damn real to me. Terry=lazy and Dan=mean. They are both incredibly talented, but Terry has packed it in and Dan's arrogance and rigidity make it a tough listen for me. As I have said many times, I think Terry is one of the most genuinely funny people on radio. It's a shame.

Terry is a racetrack character. You could replace the guy in the wheelchair on Luck with Terry and the show wouldn't miss a beat. He's a miserable prick, but there's humanity there. And he has a childish sense of humor that tempers his curmudgeonly crankiness. He really loves baseball and even though he acts like he doesn't give a fuck ("I'm so over it."), he does. And he watches games. And he knows the players. Like I've said before, it's really hard to talk for five hours a day as a character or something you're not. Mike North can wear all the Sox gear he wants, but he just can't hide the fact that he's a Cubs fan when you listen to him enough.

li'l danny, on the other hand, is just a miserable prick with very little to redeem him. He has an obvious inferiority complex and is always trying to show that he's the smartest guy in the room. It's easy for me to see what he's doing because I used to do it too. Most of us eventually meet people who are really intelligent and come to the realization that we're not so smart after all. Then there are those like danny and Phil Jackson who spend their entire lives within a context where they are far and away the smartest guys and they are almost never in a position to confront anyone but morons. danny thinks he's a doctor and a lawyer and a tax expert. He really just sounds like a dope.

JORR spot on about Terry and that jerk from Luck. The good news is I will never to listen to the show again....said it last year and have stuck to it. I just listen to the audio version of the Economist. It's a win-win, instead of getting mad and dumb listening to B&B, I gain some global insight on Syria, the European crisis, and the rise of China.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:54 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Most of us eventually meet people who are really intelligent and come to the realization that we're not so smart after all.
Glad I could be of service to you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:58 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Most of us eventually meet people who are really intelligent and come to the realization that we're not so smart after all.
Glad I could be of service to you.

Well played BR.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
terry pretty much nails the ethics of any situation immediately. he's some sort of savant that way. he should write an advice column. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:26 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I just checked out danny's Twitter feed. It seems he posts at a negative-positive ratio of about 8-1. Glad he could take a moment and 140 characters to give a shoutout to some schoolkids amidst admonishing Bulls fans for being happy the team they root for won.

The shoutout is a rarity...normally the only positive things he posts are NY Times Crosswords clues.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:09 am 

Scorehead wrote:
I'm actually a very positive person in real life & have a low tolerance for people who constantly bitch & moan about things.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:14 am 

I'm concerned about the lack of sleep for some of our board members.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:27 am 

spanky wrote:
I'm concerned about the lack of sleep for some of our board members.

Hah, I am guessing that lack of sleep is the least worrisome thing they lack.....if you get my drift.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
jimmypasta wrote:
That little green fucker ruined the Flintstones. It removed the reality out of it.
Voiced by Harvey Korman,too. Take that,Don Tiny Avatar.

Well, I never .....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Zan wrote:
Homes, talking about old rapers and comic books?

You're thinking of Bernstein.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I seriously want to call into the show today and say "There is no reason to watch the NBA until the playoffs. The games are meaningless and just glorified exhibitions. College basketball's regular season matters a whole lot more". Do you think Dan would agree with me?

Place. That. Call.

...Please

My guess is he dismisses the college game entirely. Goes the Townies route. Stoopid people following their alma mater after leaving. Grow up. But I like your angle. Why have the regular season? Why have a "sports" talk based radio station giving us the business 365 days a year?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:52 am 

I don't think I want to enter the "guy who calls radio shows" zone.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
good dolphin wrote:
I simply cannot wrap my mind around following people on Twitter...of course I don't really get Facebook either so it may just be old.

I cheer a walk off home run during the regular season every time.

This may be generational, because I have no use for Twitter or Facebook either. No interest in either.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
I also read the Bernstein tweets last night following Rose's buzzer beater. My initial reaction was very similar to Zan's. It has never been more obvious to me that Bernstein is a complete caricature of himself at this point.

But hey, ratings are all that matters, right? Keep the masses talking and you keep your job.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Scorehead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I simply cannot wrap my mind around following people on Twitter...of course I don't really get Facebook either so it may just be old.

This may be generational, because I have no use for Twitter or Facebook either. No interest in either.

Yeah, my mom has no use for the Internet. My great grandfather had no use for the internal combustion engine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:38 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Yeah, my mom has no use for the Internet. My great grandfather had no use for the internal combustion engine.
Don't be so hard on them. They probably don't have any experience with a means of electronic transmission of data and images to a group of people and then those people interacting with them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

It makes me sad knowing there are people out there that due to age, or lack of interest in computers will never get to see the Antoine Walker gif.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:13 pm 

Dan stands at the far end of the twitter-verse spectrum, being the anti-meatball meatball. The Bulls losing gives him far more to tweet about (and talk about), so a win gives no satisfaction. He watches because he needs content for his critical eye. Meanwhile there are many others who want to see a win and take away the associated enjoyment. The last shot by Rose registered on twitter which pushed Dan to respond.

The funny part about this was the people who took it upon their selves to call Dan out. Dan goes to his straw man "can't beat the Heat" argument and Mattabatta chimes in, but Dan again gets labeled. Despite proclaiming them unbeatable he has yet to explain the Heat losing to the Mavericks, but like a true meatball he doesn't want facts to get in the way.

Unlike holding a radio microphone where one can pick and choose the arguments one wants to champion and dismiss the ones that are losing, twitter equalizes things and public sentiment is influenced by popularism. The anti-Bulls Bulls fan is a meatball that is unsavory, gets labeled as such and squashed accordingly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

No Clever Moniker wrote:
Despite proclaiming them unbeatable he has yet to explain the Heat losing to the Mavericks, but like a true meatball he doesn't want facts to get in the way.

THAT. WASN'T. THIS. HEAT. TEAM. The BIG THREE have jelled together and now they're saying, "That's it. We're ready to dominate on the court for at least several years." Last year there was a lot of stuff going on around them. This year their focus is intense. Have you watched their games? HAVE. YOU. WATCHED. THEIR. GAMES??????? It's, it's, it's just scary. Oh yeah, it's a thing. And why are we talking about the Mavericks? The Bulls aren't the Mavericks. I don't know why so many Bulls fans have forgotten the way LeBron just shut Rose down. It was like Godzilla against the mayor of Tokyo. When LeBron puts his mind to it- and he showed you he can- Rose is helpless against him. Not to mention all the ancillary improvements made by the Heat. They have a healthy Mike Miller who can stop and pop off a screen better than Craig Hodges in his prime. And when Battier gets the ball and works a dribble series he facilitates the Big Blocker offense and they can go into pass-attack-pass-pass-attack mode. They way they run the Kentucky Two is a thing of beauty. Watch those old videos of the Kentucky teams when Pat Riley was in college and now replace the slow tiny white guys with mutants like LeBron and Wade, man-oh-man, the Bulls can never beat that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:40 pm 

JORR that sure is a talent. I dunno if it's worth anything, but it is a talent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:40 pm 

Dan is a caricature of himself, great comment. He really is nothing more than Mike North with a thesaurus at this point. He says crap that will elicit a reaction, is good at shouting over people that disagree with him, and has an old crotchety parrot at his side to always bumble around and agree with him.

As outlandish as he supposedly finds the NORMAL reaction of fans to Rose's game-winning shot, you do wonder why the hell the guy chose sports as his profession. If that's really him, and he's really the same guy off the radio as he is on, it must be a crappy existence....and, damn, I feel bad for his kids. If his son were up watching that shot go in, did he immediately turn it off and scold the young Bernstein for reacting that way? No, wait, I'm sure Dan has an exemption slotted for children to get excited about regular season victories in Milwaukee. I just wonder what horrendous person gutted Dan of his sports joy once he hit adulthood.....most people seek sports as their refuge from "real life"....so maybe that's the problem. Dan's life is sports, so he has decided to make it a black and white thing where only the championship banner/ring is the determining factor of sports joy?

Dan is Dan. He can spend MONTHS getting increasingly outraged at child rape, then turn right around and start using references from the same outrage as punchlines to his 4th grade humor! True renaissance man.

As far as the decline of the station and/or this show, I don't see how it's avoidable at this point. Too many options out there at this point, and as Internet integration into vehicles starts to expand even more, there will be less and less reason to subject yourself to angry people like Dan and Terry. Because, while I do enjoy them most of the time, they are slowly losing their captive commuting audience......it's too easy to filter through and podcast EXACTLY what you want to hear these days, and it's only getting easier.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:42 pm 

17 minutes til showtime! :lol: