It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3/19: THE THREAD
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:53 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
"Bon Iver is just another thing for white people to get excited about and sit and listen to quietly." - a white person, sitting quietly

Post subject: Re: 3/19: THE THREAD
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Spot on. I'm white and usually enjoy whitey music, but I cannot do the Bon Iver thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Is "real Final Four" like "real black"?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:56 pm 

They're okay, but not my thing. I shouldn't have to describe a band as being a less compelling Fleet Foxes.

The Mountain Goats, now that's my kind of white people music.

OH AND BY THE WAY HOOTIE AND THE BLOWFISH HAD A FEW GOOD SINGLES I DON'T EVEN CARE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:58 pm 

Berns has to be hating on Ohio and NC State and all the "cutesy crap" as he puts it.

He will certainly piss of Dr Ken, Boilermaker Rick, and Irish Boy today

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Florence & The Machine takes me to a happy place.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:00 pm 

Can't listen to Florence and the Machine anymore because it's ex-girlfriend music. When I could, I liked them a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I'm waiting for 3/19: THE FLAME THROWER before I post.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:02 pm 

I often wonder if I sound as mind numbingly dumb talking about things that I don't follow. Like, let's say I decided that I was going to spend hours talking about NASCAR and speed skating would I come off as clueless as Boers and Bernstein always do around tournament time? Lamenting that the somewhat talented but pretty bad Connecticut team didn't win an 8/9 game is unbelievably strange. Being upset that a 12 and a 13 seed won and played a game no one watched in the second round is just as bad. I just hope that in the NBA, or NFL, or MLB if the lower seeded team ever finds a way to advance that they treat it the same way. My guess is that if the Bears were to luck into a NFC title game appearance because of a massive upset they wouldn't be so willing to discount the whole thing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:02 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Berns has to be hating on Ohio and NC State and all the "cutesy crap" as he puts it.

:lol: It's pretty clear that he thinks that teams should advance based on the number of draft picks listed in the mock drafts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Bacci's
Curious Hair wrote:

Yes!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:25 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

:lol: It's pretty clear that he thinks that teams should advance based on the number of draft picks listed in the mock drafts.

Ironically, a guy who fancies himself a basketball purist and lover or the X's and O's should really appreciate the college game

If they run "a ton of stuff" in the NBA, they must run 50 Metric tons of stuff in college

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I'm late to the party today because I was without a monitor to type stuff like this, but I think Uncle Terry's afraid of ESPN's Bob Knight. Quite frankly, after seeing Bob in that State Farm commercial over the weekend, so am I!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
last caller must not be watching much Duke basketball.

Here's their problem: They've got bigs and they don't know what to do with them to develop a back to the basket game. Plumlee goes 9-9 against Le-high and everybody's still shoosting from the outside. I wanted to put a chair thru my tv. Name the last true back to the basket big that Duke has developed. Laettner? Three point shooter. Ferry? Jump shooter. Go forward...Boozer?! He did nothing but pick and pop and they ran iso for their guards even when he was there. Mike knows nothing about developing a post talent. Never has.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:39 pm 

Elton Brand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:41 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Ironically, a guy who fancies himself a basketball purist and lover or the X's and O's should really appreciate the college game

If they run "a ton of stuff" in the NBA, they must run 50 Metric tons of stuff in college
It's just an irrational dislike of it. He's the same guy that has complained that there is too much spread offense in college football and he wants to see the best athletes win. He's literally upset that coaches have found a way to equalize the talent gap by coaching.

Then again, that's why he's rooting for the Heat to win the title this year too. They have more talent and therefore they deserve to win.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

It's just an irrational dislike of it. He's the same guy that has complained that there is too much spread offense in college football and he wants to see the best athletes win. He's literally upset that coaches have found a way to equalize the talent gap by coaching.

Then again, that's why he's rooting for the Heat to win the title this year too. They have more talent and therefore they deserve to win.

It's almost getting to the point where it should just be a Fantasy GM league. Especially in terms of the NBA.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:47 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

As a youngman he was heartbroken by Villanova and N.C. State

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:47 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
He's literally upset that coaches have found a way to equalize the talent gap by coaching.

I can't attest to how much this makes college football unwatchable, but NHL teams that "equalize the talent gap" should be eradicated from the league, and life.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
He's literally upset that coaches have found a way to equalize the talent gap by coaching.

I can't attest to how much this makes college football unwatchable, but NHL teams that "equalize the talent gap" should be eradicated from the league, and life.

Lots of people in New Jersey and Nashville aren't happy with you

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
rogers park bryan wrote:
Elton Brand

Elton didn't develop that game at Duke, and if you watch game tape of him (check out Duke at St. John's from Jan of 99 for example) he got a lot of his shots off of rebounds. He had a good face up game, I'll give you that...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
MattM wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yes!

I saw this dude at the Empty Bottle like 10 years ago with maybe 20 people. He sang some song about north texas death metal and then closed with an Ace of Base cover.

Conor Oberst > Bon Iver.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Northside_Dan wrote:
It's almost getting to the point where it should just be a Fantasy GM league. Especially in terms of the NBA.

Which adds yet another layer of hypocritical nonsense to the whole thing, since Dan thinks fantasy sports are stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

As a youngman he was heartbroken by Villanova and N.C. State

He mustve really fucking hated it when the USA beat the Russians in 80 then.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

bernstein just comes off as a guy who is confused. He clearly fetishizes NBA coaches but at the same time disdains their success if he doesn't consider their teams talented enough to suit him.

He's caught up in "better" as defined by his arbitrary and subjective opinion rather than what actually occurs on the court. If the Bulls take the season series vs. Miami, hold the better regular season record, and then beat them in the playoffs, how could a reasonable person argue that the Heat are the "better" team. That takes a lot of arrogance. But look who we're discussing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Forward Unto Dawn Mess Hall
Curious Hair wrote:
Can't listen to Florence and the Machine anymore because it's ex-girlfriend music. When I could, I liked them a lot.

Hello friend.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Forward Unto Dawn Mess Hall
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Lamenting that the somewhat talented but pretty bad Connecticut team didn't win an 8/9 game is unbelievably strange.

Good lord, did this actually happen?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
If the Bulls take the season series vs. Miami, hold the better regular season record, and then beat them in the playoffs, how could a reasonable person argue that the Heat are the "better" team. That takes a lot of arrogance. But look who we're discussing.

He might give you the "better" in this case, but it would be followed by a "this year" or some other qualifier like "if they replayed the series 3 more times, the Heat would win" type of argument.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:48 pm 

Home5licE wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Lamenting that the somewhat talented but pretty bad Connecticut team didn't win an 8/9 game is unbelievably strange.

Good lord, did this actually happen?
I believe it was some complaint about how Ohio and other teams are there but Connecticut wasn't even able to make it out of the first round even though they had superior talent. Jason did try and explain that Connecticut just kind of sucks as a team.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:29 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: There it is. Bernstein's NBA inferiority complex is in full effect.