It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wooo Hooo We're #16!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:13 pm 

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/07/16/ ... e-country/

Quote:
(WSCR) According to a list compiled by Talkers Magazine, The Boers and Bernstein Show on 670 The Score was ranked the No. 16 most important sports talk radio show in the country.

The list, which compiles the “Top 100 Most Important Sports Talk Radio Hosts In America,” ranked shows on a list of “hard and soft factors.” Both ratings and revenue ranked highly, but the voters (Talkers Magazine employees and industry leaders) also looked at other qualities including courage, effort, impact, recognition, service and talent.

WFAN’s Mike Francesa was ranked No. 1.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post subject: Re: Wooo Hooo We're #16!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Ok we're the #3 market, and our "best" show is only #16.....

Only championships matter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
that could be the dumbest idea for a list ever.

Last edited by Hatchetman on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:19 pm 

"They also ranked sports talk radio as the #650-trillionth most important thing in history of things."

Definite tallest-midget award territory.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Either that list was compiled before the Penn State scandal, or Talkers Magazine has a very skewed definition of "important."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:28 pm 

RFDC wrote:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/07/16/boers-bernstein-ranked-16th-most-important-sports-radio-show-in-the-country/

Quote:
(WSCR) According to a list compiled by Talkers Magazine, The Boers and Bernstein Show on 670 The Score was ranked the No. 16 most important sports talk radio show in the country.

The list, which compiles the “Top 100 Most Important Sports Talk Radio Hosts In America,” ranked shows on a list of “hard and soft factors.” Both ratings and revenue ranked highly, but the voters (Talkers Magazine employees and industry leaders) also looked at other qualities including courage, effort, impact, recognition, service and talent.

WFAN’s Mike Francesa was ranked No. 1.

Well, how high are you going to be ranked with Teery making up half your show when effort is taken into consideration? Given that, 16th is a remarkable achievement.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:34 pm 

#1 Mike Francesa
#2 Jim Rome
#3 Dan Patrick
#4 Boomer & Carton
#6 Mike & Mike
#7 John Dennis & Gerry Callahan
#10 Angelo Cataldi
#13 Dan LeBatard
#14 Mike Missanelli
#22 Colin Cowherd
#25 Anthony Gargano & Glen Macnow
#32 Dan Sileo
#39 Chris Russo
#40 Paul Alexander, Jim Colony, and Gregg Gianotti
#42 Joe & Evan
#48 Tony Bruno
#56 Steve Somers
#57 Stephen A. Smith & Ryan Ruocco
#76 Brian Baldinger & Harry Mayes
#78 Michael Kay and Don LaGreca
#87 Max Kellerman & Marcellus Wiley
#89 Michael Barkann & Ike Reese
#92 Mark Schlereth & Mike Hill
#94 Brandon Tierney & Eric Davis
#98 Dino Costa
#100 Joe Morgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:35 pm 

Rome being #2 is a travesty.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:38 pm 

Francesa is an atrocity. The fact that he's #1 on this list (let alone the fact that he probably belongs there!) is a sad commentary on the medium.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:40 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I've heard a few M&MD airchecks and thought they were pretty good, but it was Russo who carried it, to me. Solo Francesa is just dull and irritable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:07 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I've heard a few M&MD airchecks and thought they were pretty good, but it was Russo who carried it, to me. Solo Francesa is just dull and irritable.

It was a really good show, in its bizarre way. At its best, they'd crawl up their own asses and do a whole segment on Phil Rizzuto's defense in the middle of football season, just because. The downside was that at the end of the day, they were just a couple of old whitebread fuddy-duddies, and eventually it started sounding like your weird uncle and your cranky grandpa complaining about the hippity-hop and the Tweeter and whatnot, and that problem was amplified tenfold when the weird uncle left. The lack of repartee also robbed the show of its unintentional comedy, which remains unparalleled in sports radio. They once spent an afternoon puzzling over the Roger Clemens indictment, and I still laugh every time I remember Mike groaning "Ya know, Dawg, dis stuff is way beyawnd us--we're tawlkin' about cawnstitutional lawr, heah!"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:17 pm 

I liked the time Mad Dog had the epic shitlosing over the Marlins beating the Giants. We need more of that here at 670, The Voice Of Measured Perspective.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:21 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I liked the time Mad Dog had the epic shitlosing over the Marlins beating the Giants. We need more of that here at 670, The Voice Of Measured Perspective.

Yeah. Score programming crawls up its own ass on a daily basis, but rarely in a manner that's fun or weird or unexpected.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:49 pm 

Speaking of New York sports radio, it's interesting to me that the Yankees have never had a super-long-term radio flagship the way the Cubs have.

Quote:
The history of Yankee radio broadcasters is: WABC 770 (1939–'40), WOR 710 (1942), WINS 1010 (1944–'57), WMGM 1050 (1958–'60), WCBS 880 (1961–'66), WHN 1050 (1967–'70), WMCA 570 (1971–'77), WINS 1010 (1978–'80), WABC 770 (1981–2001), WCBS 880 (2002–present).

All this time, I had thought that the Yankees were on WCBS since sign-on, figuring that since CBS owned the Yanks for a spell, they did so because they thought it would be a good programming idea the way the Tribune acquired the Cubs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
WHERE'S MAC???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Dan Bernstein wrote:
WE'RE??? WHO IS WE??? STOP IT WITH THE WE!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
Speaking of New York sports radio, it's interesting to me that the Yankees have never had a super-long-term radio flagship the way the Cubs have.

Quote:
The history of Yankee radio broadcasters is: WABC 770 (1939–'40), WOR 710 (1942), WINS 1010 (1944–'57), WMGM 1050 (1958–'60), WCBS 880 (1961–'66), WHN 1050 (1967–'70), WMCA 570 (1971–'77), WINS 1010 (1978–'80), WABC 770 (1981–2001), WCBS 880 (2002–present).

All this time, I had thought that the Yankees were on WCBS since sign-on, figuring that since CBS owned the Yanks for a spell, they did so because they thought it would be a good programming idea the way the Tribune acquired the Cubs.

And the Yankees might be on the move again. There's talk that either the Yankees or Mets could be relocating to ESPN Radio's New York station, now on the FM side there. The Yankees/WCBS & Mets/WFAN deals expire after this season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:22 pm 

SHARK wrote:
And the Yankees might be on the move again. There's talk that either the Yankees or Mets could be relocating to ESPN Radio's New York station, now on the FM side there. The Yankees/WCBS & Mets/WFAN deals expire after this season.

I know that financial constraints will eventually decide it, but it would make a lot of sense from a pure fan perspective for the Yankees to move to WFAN (which carries the Giants) and the Mets to move to ESPN (which carries the Jets), partially because the breakdown tends to be Giants/Yankees and Jets/Mets, and partially because it would consolidate the stations' respective identities as Humorless Old Know-It-Alls Telling You What's What and Brainless Bros Tweeting About Who's "Next."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:30 pm 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
SHARK wrote:

I know that financial constraints will eventually decide it, but it would make a lot of sense from a pure fan perspective for the Yankees to move to WFAN (which carries the Giants) and the Mets to move to ESPN (which carries the Jets), partially because the breakdown tends to be Giants/Yankees and Jets/Mets, and partially because it would consolidate the stations' respective identities as Humorless Old Know-It-Alls Telling You What's What and Brainless Bros Tweeting About Who's "Next."

It was one of the stories that I read right after it was revealed that ESPN Radio was relocating from AM to FM in the New York area. ESPN Radio's New York ratings haven't been all that great, but the book is that their signal wasn't all that great either. Their supposed interest in the Yankees or Mets' radio rights might be considered a big splash for them, coinciding with their move to FM there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:33 pm 

SHARK wrote:
ESPN Radio's New York ratings haven't been all that great, but the book is that their signal wasn't all that great either.

This is the understatement of the year. There are places in North Jersey from which you can see the Manhattan skyline and not get 1050.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:39 pm 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
SHARK wrote:
ESPN Radio's New York ratings haven't been all that great, but the book is that their signal wasn't all that great either.

This is the understatement of the year. There are places in North Jersey from which you can see the Manhattan skyline and not get 1050.

For the record, Dave, 1050 AM was where ESPN Radio's New York outlet was located before relocating to 98.7 FM about 2 months ago. ESPN Deportes, which can be found at 97.5 FM here, is taking over the 1050 AM frequency in NY this fall.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:54 pm 

It does make more sense for the Yankees to be on the Fan. It'd be pretty weird if the Yankee flagship were on the FM dial.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:00 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
It does make more sense for the Yankees to be on the Fan. It'd be pretty weird if the Yankee flagship were on the FM dial.

Not necessarily, CH. A handful of pro sports teams have made the switch to the FM side in recent years, not just in Major League Baseball. The SCORE's big voice guy did a promo going to a commercial break in which White Sox fans can actually listen to the games in FM quality sound by getting an HD radio and tuning into 104.3 HD2.

It wasn't that long ago that the Bulls were on The SCORE's FM sister station, the former 105.9 WCKG for 1 season. That was before the Bulls went back to ESPN Radio 1000 and will continue to carry their broadcasts for many years to come.

The Bulls on FM came well before 105.9 "Fresh"-ened their music format, but didn't get good enough ratings. 105.9 FM these days now simulcasts WBBM Newsradio 780 AM's long running all-news format, including Bears' football. For those that didn't tune into Bear games on 105.9 FM last year, you'll be surprised how much better it sounded.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:02 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Not necessarily, CH. A handful of pro sports teams have made the switch to the FM side in recent years, not just in Major League Baseball. The SCORE's big voice guy did a promo going to a commercial break in which White Sox fans can actually listen to the games in FM quality sound by getting an HD radio and tuning into 104.3 HD2.

Yeah, but nobody has HD radio, so nobody cares.

We're talking about the New York Yankees, though. Call me old-fashioned, but the biggest sports team in America should be on a 50,000-watt clear channel.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:05 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
SHARK wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah, but nobody has HD radio, so nobody cares.

We're talking about the New York Yankees, though. Call me old-fashioned, but the biggest sports team in America should be on a 50,000-watt clear channel.

The Yankees already have quite a TV deal with YES Network, CH. I'm not sure what WCBS-AM pays to carry their broadcasts, let alone what ESPN Radio New York is offering to wrestle their broadcast rights away after this season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Mike & Mike being in the top 10 of that list immediately destroys it's credibility.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:15 pm 

Dewskie wrote:
Mike & Mike being in the top 10 of that list immediately destroys it's credibility.

They're not that great. Besides, Mike Golic's still fat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:16 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Dewskie wrote:

What does Golic being fat have to do with anything?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:17 pm 

RFDC wrote:
SHARK wrote:
Dewskie wrote:

What does Golic being fat have to do with anything?

Nothing...He's annoying, whether he's on radio or TV.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:14 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Dewskie wrote:

Bingo.

And Francesca #1? Good God, that Sunday morning dose on the Score is bad enough. I couldn't imagine that on a daily basis.

Kiley and Booms are back together? Did not know that.

And that list certainly reinforces what Mac says about the looks of sports yakkers. Wow.