It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
People don't dance no mo. All they do is this...

I miss old Goodie Mob before Cee-Lo........changed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Krazy Ivan wrote:
I miss old Goodie Mob before Cee-Lo........changed.

You mean got fucking weird and sold his soul? I agree.

Although, the Mob is reuniting. I wonder how that's gonna go.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen

Not good, so far. Some of the stuff I've heard is straight up booty and I've seen them advertised as Goodie Mob featuring Cee Lo Green ( :x ). There was a time where they were one of my favorite groups. Soul Food and Still Standing were both excellent...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Krazy Ivan wrote:

Not good, so far. Some of the stuff I've heard is straight up booty and I've seen them advertised as Goodie Mob featuring Cee Lo Green ( :x ). There was a time where they were one of my favorite groups. Soul Food and Still Standing were both excellent...

Yeah, that sounds like every Bone Thugs reunion post-1998.

I'll still check the new Goodie stuff out, but I won't expect it to sound anything like the two albums you mentioned.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
Dese damn kids don't do nuthin' like dey did whens I wass a kid. Who da heck gives a kid a birtday party every damn year?!?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:51 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
I would bet any amount of money that the 80's Magic, Wilkes/Nixon, Worthy, Kareem etc. Lakers team would beat any championship team of the 2000's 10 out of 10 times.

Ten out of ten times is a very strong proclamation. I don't think any NBA team could beat another NBA team ten of ten. That's just way too difficult. The 2001-02 Lakers would certainly be able to steal some games from them. That was the best team of this millennium. The 2004-05 Spurs are right there in the conversation too.

Yeah. I like pittmike, but that's a pretty terrible thought. The 2001 Lakers would've held their own against the '86 C's, '87 Lakers, '92 Bulls, etc. There's literally a zero percent chance any team in history would beat that team 10 out of 10 times.

Only thing I'll say about the McAdoo/Durant thing is that McAdoo was considered a big guy, Durant is not, and Durant is taller, more athletic, and a much better shooter/scorer than Bob was and he probably hasn't hit his prime yet. Yes, they might be comparable, but it's as flawed a comparison as the Baylor/Jordan comparison I've often heard from JORR on this.

But you also have to look at their careers. I'll buy a comparison of Young Elgin and Young Jordan. But there's nothing in Baylor's career comparable to the player Jordan evolved into during the second three peat. Blame his military commitment if you must. He definitely had to deal with real world shit that Jordan didn't. But I think Dominique is a better comp for Baylor, although Baylor was certainly better.

There's a whole lot wrong in this post.

I'll start with Baylor-Jordan. I'm too young to remember Byalor in his prime but I know how he was viewed. He was a freakish player with a varie skillset. At their best the two players are very similar. There are many attributes that make Jordan special. One of them was the way he adapted his game as his skills diminished. The Jordan that took people's breath away wasn't the guy during the second threepeat. In fact, there's a good argument that he wasn't the best guy on those teams. Jordan has two distinct careers- one as a high-flying jam it down your throat guy and the other as a devastating mid-range jumpshooter. People like to remember it as if he had all those aspects of his game working at once, but that wasn't really the case.

Durant isn't taller or more athletic than McAdoo. And he certainly isn't a better shooter or scorer. I'll bet you right now that Durant won't average 22 a game for his career like McAdoo did and he certainly won't shoot 50% from the field.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Durant will average 22 for a career.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Well you basically paraphrased what I said about Jordan. Baylor was never the best player in the league. Baylor didn't have the diversity in scoring options that Jordan utilized in his later career. Baylor was never an absolute shut down defender like Jordan was. I know how Baylor was viewed also. About the only thing you're right with is the above the rim style they both had, which Baylor largely pioneered. Because he was missing everything else that made Jordan who he was, I said Nique was the better comparison.

You're just wrong about McAdoo. I guess their height is the same, and Durant is 25 lbs heavier. I always thought he was 6'10" but I'll go with the 6'9" he's listed at. The point still stands that Durant is not considered a big guy. But he's certainly more athletic than McAdoo was. Just watch clips of them and it's painfully obvious. And stop the ppg comparisons when you're crossing four decades. The stark decline in possessions/game make that sound silly as hell, as I've explained countless times. It would be like comparing a baseball player with 320 ABs in a season and one with 600 ABs in a season and say "They both hit 20 HRs! There was no difference!". It's just damn silly, and frankly you're way too bright with baseball statistics to not understand this JORR. But yeah Durant will average over 22 ppg for his career.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:06 am 
Site Admin

Big Chicagoan wrote:

No way. Unless he gets hurt before he declines.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
good dolphin wrote:
I think part of the problem is not just that everything is organized, it is organized from an early age. Then when a kid doesn't excel in a particular sport from the very beginning, their are social pressures to quit. Unathletic kids who might have developed quit before they have a chance. Athletic kids end up being specialized into one sport rather than playing everything.

The goals are kind of strange as well. There is no playing just to play. There is playing to win and practicing with some kind of ambiguous goal to have a college scholarship. Meanwhile, I'm not sure playing college sports is a better college experience than hanging out all day and getting blasted (getting homework done, of course).

These travel leagues are really the Ponzi scheme of the parent class. They usually cost four figures. The extra play may result in a better player but to what end. Yeah! You were a slightly above average high school player.

The non-excelers stay in a y or pd league which are typically affordable. The really good kids or above average go to travel. There really isn't an option for good kids that want to play and maybe good someday or maybe not. The families that can afford it feel pressure or that you owe it to the kid to put them there. We're going through it right now. I'm hoping that my son will drop his sport around 13 but will support him if he wants to continue and if we can afford it. I want to see him have fun but I also want to see him working, it screws things up.

JORR can you tell this parent interview story?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:09 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Well you basically paraphrased what I said about Jordan. Baylor was never the best player in the league. Baylor didn't have the diversity in scoring options that Jordan utilized in his later career. Baylor was never an absolute shut down defender like Jordan was. I know how Baylor was viewed also. About the only thing you're right with is the above the rim style they both had, which Baylor largely pioneered. Because he was missing everything else that made Jordan who he was, I said Nique was the better comparison.

You're just wrong about McAdoo. I guess their height is the same, and Durant is 25 lbs heavier. I always thought he was 6'10" but I'll go with the 6'9" he's listed at. The point still stands that Durant is not considered a big guy. But he's certainly more athletic than McAdoo was. Just watch clips of them and it's painfully obvious. And stop the ppg comparisons when you're crossing four decades. The stark decline in possessions/game make that sound silly as hell, as I've explained countless times. It would be like comparing a baseball player with 320 ABs in a season and one with 600 ABs in a season and say "They both hit 20 HRs! There was no difference!". It's just damn silly, and frankly you're way too bright with baseball statistics to not understand this JORR. But yeah Durant will average over 22 ppg for his career.

And yet, in the next argument you'll be saying the game is faster today.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:10 am 
Site Admin

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Way.

We'll see. If we're both still here in twelve years or so you can tell me I was right.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:13 am 

The thing about kids sports is like everything is the Super Bowl. The parents and the coaches take things so serious that there is no room for just enjoying the game. If a player has lesser skills he is not given the opportunity to play. Honestly, I think in 5, 10, or 20 years most of the kids won't be playing sports anymore, but they'll remember how their coach or other parents of the the team members were completely wrong about their approach to youth sports.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:16 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

You mean like McAdoo did from '80-'83?

And the shooter thing is completely one sided in favor of Durant because um.. McAdoo just didn't shoot threes. Kinda tough to argue that one.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:23 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

And yet, in the next argument you'll be saying the game is faster today.

Of course the players are bigger and faster, due to diet, training, whatever you wanna say. This is undeniable. Look at clips. There's a few outliers in the 60's, like Baylor, but it's an undeniable fact that collectively the players today are playing faster and stronger than 4-5 decades ago.

But yeah that is all irrelevant to what I'm saying. I'm talking about the shifts in coaching and in-game strategy. The game isn't played the same way it used to be, regardless of the athleticism of the players. Simply put, there's significantly less opportunities for a player to accumulate stats in a single game than there was 40 years ago. It's simple math, not biology.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:28 am 
Site Admin

How could the game possibly be faster if there are less possessions?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:29 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I already differentiated the two. Obtuse JORR ain't a good look man.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:32 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Not really. If you're going up and down the court more, it follows that the game is faster. You're not being very logical or objective.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:35 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Not really. If you're going up and down the court more, it follows that the game is faster. You're not being very logical or objective.

Yes I am. Players move faster but they utilize a shit ton more half court offense today, primarily because the 90's showed that a great defense can beat a great run n gun game every time. As I said, coaching and in-game strategy has evolved greatly since the 60's and 70's. Again, this is backed by numbers and undeniable. Very simple and easily comprehendable numbers.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:42 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Players move faster but they utilize a shit ton more half court offense today

You seem to be contradicting yourself. How can they be moving faster if they're in a half-court offense so much more? Are you saying that theoretically they are faster or would be faster if they played differently? Because the facts show they aren't faster.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:54 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You seem to be contradicting yourself. How can they be moving faster if they're in a half-court offense so much more? Are you saying that theoretically they are faster or would be faster if they played differently? Because the facts show they aren't faster.

When I get to a computer I'll see if they have the data for their measurables. They don't have a traditional numbers-scouting combine like the NFL before the draft but they do take many measurables today. Not sure when they started that or how far back it goes.

But as to your last sentence, what facts? I'm talking about one simple stat. Possessions/game. So yes, the game was obviously more up-tempo back when JORR used to rock and roll. In that sense it was faster. But athletically the players were not faster back then. The players did not run faster or jump higher back then. You're not asserting that, are you?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

When I get to a computer I'll see if they have the data for their measurables. They don't have a traditional numbers-scouting combine like the NFL before the draft but they do take many measurables today. Not sure when they started that or how far back it goes.

But as to your last sentence, what facts? I'm talking about one simple stat. Possessions/game. So yes, the game was obviously more up-tempo back when JORR used to rock and roll. In that sense it was faster. But athletically the players were not faster back then. The players did not run faster or jump higher back then. You're not asserting that, are you?

I think players today and twenty years ago are exactly the same physically as they are today. There are difference in what they wear, how they train, and most significantly, what they put in their bodies. I don't think there's anyone in the NBA today that jumps higher than guys like Dr. J or David Thompson.