It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bernstein and Armstrong
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:43 am 

Boy I bet Dan is already at the studio with the hardon he's always had against Armstrong.

I'm sure he's also going to try and tie this in with Penn State because I'm sure Lance has been to Pennsylvania.

As far as Armstrong goes finding out he did do drugs is about as surprising as waking up and finding out the sun rose in the east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
I think he's still on vacation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:47 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
I think he's still on vacation.
Sara Ganim would cancel her vacation to cover this very important story. I guess that is why she wins Pulitzers and Bernstein will have to settle for his eventual induction into the Chicago sports radio hall of fame that pays the Score to get mentions.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:30 am 
1000 CLUB

This is a tremendous victory for Bernstein.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:36 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Q. What does he win?

A. Increased self righteous smugness...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I don't know if you guys caught that deadspin Q&A with "anonymous PR guy". It was classic stuff, but the best part was that the PR person said Armstrong was the biggest DB of all time in pro sports.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
This was some of Bernstein's best work. Not only does it bring disgrace to a man who tainted the national pastime (cycling), it also pisses off people who root for things. A total victory.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
How soon does the George Carlin "Fuck Lance Armstrong" get played today? I'm thinking by 1:25, no later than the 1:30 update.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
spmack wrote:
How soon does the George Carlin "Fuck Lance Armstrong" get played today? I'm thinking by 1:25, no later than the 1:30 update.

It'll be in the open.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
http://deadspin.com/5937591/all-seven-o ... -their-own

Quote:
All Seven Of Lance Armstrong’s Tour De France Wins Would Now Go To Cyclists With Doping Scandals Of Their Own
Tom Scocca

Now Lance Armstrong has been stripped of his seven consecutive Tour de France titles, thanks to the persistent doping allegations against him. It's a sad day for the sport, but at least it vindicates all of the clean-riding cyclists who finished behind Armstrong. Right? So here are the runners-up who stand to inherit the yellow jerseys from the disgraced champ:

1999: Alex Zülle (confessed to EPO use)
2000: Jan Ullrich (suspended from 2006 Tour; banned this year and stripped of all results from 2005 on)
2001: Jan Ullrich
2002: Joseba Beloki (kept out of 2006 Tour while under doping investigation, later cleared)
2003: Jan Ullrich
2004: Andreas Klöden (accused of illegal blood transfusion in the 2006 Tour)
2005: Ivan Basso (confessed to attempted doping, suspended)

I can't wait until they start in on Ivan Basso. This story needs to be told.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
:lol: Wow, where is MOFO to talk about his sport????

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
here i am. this is hardly earth-shattering news, and ive never been an armstrong apologist. frankly im not surprised. actually, this isn't as disappointing to me as watching the cycling road race on the first day of the olympics and watching alexander vinokourov, a confirmed blood-doper who was banned from the tour de france himself back in the late 2000's, being celebrated as a gold-medalist and olympic champion. some people have very short memories.

personally, there shouldnt be suspensions. you get caught once, you should be stripped of all titles and a lifetime ban and have a nice day. basso, ullrich, contador, landis, tyler hamilton, all of these guys have opened the floodgates for and onslaught of cheaters that sadly will always be one step ahead of the game. i cant imagine, if i were in armstrong's shoes and i truly was clean, that i would ever stop fighting the allegations.

by the way, for all the cycling enthusiasts out there who were wondering what happened in this years tour i apologize for being unable to post updates this year. some things out of my control prevented me from being able to post daily updates. i plan on making a triumphant return in 2013. NBC Sports Network is currently airing the US Pro Cycling Challenge, which has been enjoyable. There are several young American riders that we can look forward to seeing in the future, including budding star tejay van garderen. he has a very good chance of a podium finish at the Tour next year, and would have been up there this year if he hadnt had to drag Cadel Evans all the way around France.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
spmack wrote:

It'll be in the open.

Nah, earlier still ... I'll take the tranny.

Wait, what?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
This is going to make for some bad, bad radio.

I don't think I'm off base by saying no one really cares about this story all that much. Lance doped? Wow, I'm shocked that someone who won 7 titles in a sport that is legendary for doping scandals and universal doping would be doping as well.

Sure he was douchebag and built a Godzilla Ego and ranted and raved and left his wife and did the Hollywood thing....but really, who the fuck cares? People who participate in the Livestrong events don't really care, I don't, my neighbor doesn't....and on and on.

This story is played out and old. Now we will see this get dug up and danced around for another month or two by B&B. Great.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinders
So... the guy who did all the same drugs that everyone else did, and still kicked all of their assess (all on the same drugs) is somehow a criminal?!?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Makalu G wrote:
So... the guy who did all the same drugs that everyone else did, and still kicked all of their assess (all on the same drugs) is somehow a criminal?!?

I know.

In a sport where everyone is on the most cutting edge stuff, trains like fucking crazy, nutrition, trainers etc..........Lance still kicked everyone's ass, and he had cancer.

Not to shabby.

But a shame about him being a toolbox.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:00 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:

But a shame about him being a toolbox.

Yeah...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:01 pm 

Makalu G wrote:
It's more than that. He used and abused a charity for personal profit, attempted to ruin lives of those who dared question if he took something, and proudly proclaimed his innocence in all possible ways.

He's not getting the scorn for cheating. It's for everything else he did after cheating.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
:lol: @ attempted doping.

How do you try and fail? Couldn't find a dealer but had too much integrity to lie when asked?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:12 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Makalu G wrote:
It's more than that. He used and abused a charity for personal profit, attempted to ruin lives of those who dared question if he took something, and proudly proclaimed his innocence in all possible ways.

He's not getting the scorn for cheating. It's for everything else he did after cheating.

Oh, I understand his douche-baggery, but that's not why they're stripping his titles. As was pointed out, after his titles are vacated, the second place guys are all as "dirty" as he was...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Makalu G wrote:

He is indeed an awful guy. But I also agree that it could be bad, bad radio. Maybe I'm missing the true scope of this scandal, but it's PTFB for sure for me. I feel like this was dissected ad nausem a couple years ago by B&B...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: sit down
denisdman wrote:
I don't know if you guys caught that deadspin Q&A with "anonymous PR guy". It was classic stuff, but the best part was that the PR person said Armstrong was the biggest DB of all time in pro sports.

Image[

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:08 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:45 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Makalu G wrote:

Don't forget him leaving his wife after she stood by him while he had cancer then cheating on her while she was battling the disease.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:00 pm 

Terry's elation seems forced...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:17 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
In a sport where everyone is on the most cutting edge stuff, trains like fucking crazy, nutrition, trainers etc..........Lance still kicked everyone's ass, and he had cancer.

People do not have any concept of what winning seven consecutive titles means. The sheer amount of things that need to go right over 2+ weeks and 2,000+ miles in mountains, rain, on cobblestones, etc, etc, etc. I don't give a shit what trip anyone is on - it's a mindboggling achievement to do it once, let alone seven times in a row, doping or not.

And quite honestly what you have seen since the sport got serious about doping is insanely boring cycling. You can absolutely make an argument about it being better with doping. The golden age of the sport was in the doping era. If that turns people off, so be it. Watch Football and lie to yourself.

Makalu G wrote:
Terry's elation seems forced...

It's just disturbing. I mean really the afternoon show has too much hate for me most days. It just brings me down and makes me angry myself. I don't want to be angry at someone like Bernstein (who often drags Terry down) for being angry. Im otherwise indifferent to the guy unless he throws a tantrum.

- Dan Bernstein, 2016

Last edited by mrgoodkat on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:19 pm 

mrgoodkat wrote:
And quite honestly what you have seen since the sport got serious about doping is insanely boring cycling.
Do people kill themselves from boredom now when watching, because that would be the only way to measure that it is has gotten boring since the "exciting cycling era"?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:22 pm 

You ever actually watched it, or you just feel like flying the ignorant flag? You dont have to hate on it because you dont understand it. That's lazy and unintelligent. Broaden your horizons.

- Dan Bernstein, 2016

Last edited by mrgoodkat on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:24 pm 

mrgoodkat wrote:
You ever actually watched it, or you just feel like flying the ignorant flag?
Yes. I have watched it. My favorite part was when they pedaled on a curve rather than a straight line. It was also pretty cool when they went up a hill or down a hill.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:26 pm 

And they go up and down a field in Football between commercials. Comon man, it isn't worth it. This argument doesn't win you any points.

- Dan Bernstein, 2016