It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:42 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Yeah, that last part makes the most sense. B&B never have Mac's producers and buddies host for them, why were their producers and buddies sitting in for Mac?

Zizou wrote:
Larry has pull through Mitch. No way Mac is able to prevent Holmes from getting a sub spot.

The show today should prevent him from getting a sub spot. It should prevent him from getting a sub sandwich.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:10 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, that last part makes the most sense. B&B never have Mac's producers and buddies host for them, why were their producers and buddies sitting in for Mac?

Zizou wrote:
Larry has pull through Mitch. No way Mac is able to prevent Holmes from getting a sub spot.

The show today should prevent him from getting a sub spot. It should prevent him from getting a sub sandwich.
Leery wrote:
Sub sandwiches are reely reely great. I remember one time over at NBC , I was eating one at my desk when Cheryl Scott walked by and asked me if I wanted to be her boyfriend. After I said yes, she took my sandwich from me and ate the whole thing just like in that commercial !!!. Boy, sheering is a reely great thing to do.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:28 am 

Keeping Score wrote:
Beardown wrote:
This isn't about race. It's about respect. Mac showed it to Goff. Goff didn't return it. Nor did he show any appreciation for Mac giving him a midday audience.

It's really not about race, it's about the pussification of Dangerous Dan.

Goff did nothing different than Boers or Bernsie in regard to the Da Ma Na stuff. Good natured ribbing. I would even say they were showing him love/respect by bringing him up so much.

Has Mackeyfish turned on his old buddy Boers now too? How 'bout Bernsie? Does Mac still bang the tranny with the boys?

Thus far, it appears he only turned on the brothers. Which he has done before with Jiggs, Hood, Herb....and now Jason and Laurence. So maybe it does have something to do with race as well?

Did you feel the same about the nearly identical good natured ribbing of North?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Mac is a thin skinned crybaby.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:35 am 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
[It's also entirely possible that there's no real conflict here and Mac just wants to give his guys more on-air opportunities.

I think this is the truth behind the story. Dan prides himself on taking care of his guys. He brought Finfer over from 1000 with the express purpose of helping his career. I believe he said he would do this even as he was leaving 1000 and then again when he came to the score.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:38 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
[
I'm with you, Rogue, in seeing this spat as a conflict about status and age. This is nothing more than a once-great talker trying to deny his growing irrelevance by putting an overhyped, "rising" pseudotalent in his place.

This is the Animal Planet equivalent of the silverback buggering a younger challenger to reassert dominance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:39 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
good dolphin wrote:

Dolphin, your memory is failing you.

There was nothing good-natured about their shots at North. They clearly weren't friends with the guy. Their North drops and mentions were just a notch below their treatment of Mike Murphy. Nothing about the DaMaNaa stuff is even remotely similar.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:40 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
I broke this story, dammit!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:48 am 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

There was nothing good-natured about their shots at North. They clearly weren't friends with the guy. Their North drops and mentions were just a notch below their treatment of Mike Murphy. Nothing about the DaMaNaa stuff is even remotely similar.

I thought the "Ain't That A Kick In The Head" and DaMaNeal were pretty similar.

I do think they like and respect Dan a lot more than they did North. Terry saw North as the guy who broke up the golden age of the Score and the rest of the guys had no respect for him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:02 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Curious Hair wrote:

The timing of the decision certainly suggests otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:23 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Beardown wrote:
This isn't about race. It's about respect. Mac showed it to Goff. Goff didn't return it. Nor did he show any appreciation for Mac giving him a midday audience.

There is a certain sense of "entitlement" about Goff. Quite frankly, he hasn't improved that much as a host over the past couple of years. He either lacks talent to raise his game to "the next level," a strong work ethic, or both.

:cheers:

I would say Goff has a way about him like "Im gonna do me and dont even TRY to tell me to be anything else"

I think that's been fostered by his time on B and B.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
For me it is either nothing at all and simply giving his guy the time. Just as easily though I can see the Goff and Larry stuff pissing him off. As for Terry though I think they are much better friends off the air than you might think. Even during the am1000 years. The other thing about it is usually Terry did DaaanMaaaNeal in some playful funny way and not as often as it has been going on. Lastly, Terry and Mac were partners when that all started and its just ok.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:54 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:
[It's also entirely possible that there's no real conflict here and Mac just wants to give his guys more on-air opportunities.

I think this is the truth behind the story. Dan prides himself on taking care of his guys. He brought Finfer over from 1000 with the express purpose of helping his career. I believe he said he would do this even as he was leaving 1000 and then again when he came to the score.

Chet gave Mac his chance and Mac never had to look back and wonder. Mac prides himself on being that kind of guy and Finfer, having emergency subbed for Mac, has proven through talent and loyalty to be deserving of a shot. If he can't get more money for himself or his team, the next best thing Mac can do is get his guys some flight time on the air. Given the amount of time that Spiegs is absent one might think "about time" as far as Mac putting on one of "his guys."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:22 am 
1000 CLUB

No Clever Moniker wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:

Chet gave Mac his chance and Mac never had to look back and wonder. Mac prides himself on being that kind of guy and Finfer, having emergency subbed for Mac, has proven through talent and loyalty to be deserving of a shot. If he can't get more money for himself or his team, the next best thing Mac can do is get his guys some flight time on the air. Given the amount of time that Spiegs is absent one might think "about time" as far as Mac putting on one of "his guys."

Why did it take Mac 2 or 3 years to discover that he was supposed to be Finfer's mentor? Again, the timing of the decision sharply undercuts any theories correlating Finfer's ascent with Mac's benevolence.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:48 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I do think they like and respect Dan a lot more than they did North. Mac saw North as the guy who broke up the golden age of the Score and the rest of the guys had no respect for him.

That quote is more accurate GD.

I think there is a grain or two of sand in the teasing of McNeil. Cairo is correct that the teasing of North was more malicious so to speak.

Larry's teasing of Dan upsets the station hierarchy. He is in no position to be taking shots at Dan when the time and experience factor at the station is applied.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:07 am 
1000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I do think they like and respect Dan a lot more than they did North. Mac saw North as the guy who broke up the golden age of the Score and the rest of the guys had no respect for him.

That quote is more accurate GD.

I think there is a grain or two of sand in the teasing of McNeil. Cairo is correct that the teasing of North was more malicious so to speak.

Larry's teasing of Dan upsets the station hierarchy. He is in no position to be taking shots at Dan when the time and experience factor at the station is applied.

Exactly. Larry and Goff are radio neophytes who have accomplished nothing in the industry. Mac is well past his prime, but he is still a dominant force in the ratings and has no reason to brook disrespect from a couple of less talented ingrates.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

Alright. So what happens now? Larry and Goff continue the attacks on Mac? Go harder? Maybe. Although I would advise against it. Mac dropped the nuclear bomb. He won. Game, set and match on this war. In radio, you have to learn how to take a loss. You lick your wounds and prepare for the next battle. There's always another battle for these deranged Score people to fight. They always find one. :roll:

Finfer might be the next target of Larry and Goff. He's weaker and Goff and Larry might think they can take him with B&B on their side. It was Mac's call, but I'm sure they look at Finfer as the enemy now. :roll: Although I think Mac might go harder at them if they attack his soldier. Goff and Larry need to be aware of that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:38 pm 

I think that a lot of the Da MaNeeeel stuff which terry started used to be good natured It began as DaManeeel got "hockey ticket" or whatever catchphrase of that particular day. It was good natured on Terry's part and definitely did not include the personal stuff that appears to be a staple of what goff does. I do not know why he would want to jettison goff and holmes its probably a little bit of both his desire to put his guy on the air and his wanting to rid himself of Goff. The Dan Maneel stuff might be ok if it is said in jest but i could see where he might have a problem with having his personal issues discussed or referenced constantly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

The only thing that's unknown is if Bernstein will engage. He really doesn't want to take part in these things. Quite franky, he doesn't care. He wants to make his 500k and watch everybody around him self destruct. That's his joy.

That being said, he might do it for the fun of it. Not to defend Larry and Goff. Cuz he doesn't think much of them. Just to do it. Maybe to satisfy his ego a little bit.

That would be something if he did. A "Mac vs. Bernstein" war would be the all timer in Chicago radio history.

I think Bernstein would win. Sorry, Mac. He just would.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:00 pm 

I disagree. Mac's ability to say "who gives a fuck" would win the day.

Bernstein CANT do it. Just cant.

Also, Mac has more power than Bernstein now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
rogers park bryan wrote:

Mac was there from The SCORE's roots on Belmont Ave. in 1992. Don't you forget that!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I'm pretty sure that Finfer was doing weekend shows within a month of him coming over to the Score...fwiw.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:55 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
I'm pretty sure that Finfer was doing weekend shows within a month of him coming over to the Score...fwiw.

I believe you are correct. Finfer is on the weekend list again @ Noon Saturday.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac must have got him that right away. But the prestigious thing for any Score backup is to sub on "The Big 3 Daypart shows". Mac eventually got it done for Finfer in a very calculating way. He wasn't aggresive. Didn't step on anybody right away. He let Goff and Larry fall on their own swords. They were dumb enough to do so.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:06 pm 

Beardown wrote:

Mac must have got him that right away. But the prestigious thing for any Score backup is to sub on the prime time daypart shows during. Mac eventually got it done for Finfer in a very calculatining way. He wasn't aggresive. Didn't step on anybody right away. He let Goff and Larry fall on their own swords. They were dumb enough to do so.

I think Finfer & Ernie Scanton, who works with Production Director Russ Mitera in voicing a bunch of commercials & promos, were more victims of what Mac called "the Bristolization" of the other sports talk radio station up the dial than Goff & Holmes failing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
rogers park bryan wrote:

This.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:18 am 

Beardown wrote:
The only thing that's unknown is if Bernstein will engage. He really doesn't want to take part in these things. Quite franky, he doesn't care. He wants to make his 500k and watch everybody around him self destruct. That's his joy.

That being said, he might do it for the fun of it. Not to defend Larry and Goff. Cuz he doesn't think much of them. Just to do it. Maybe to satisfy his ego a little bit.

That would be something if he did. A "Mac vs. Bernstein" war would be the all timer in Chicago radio history.

Bernstien has never carried a radio station. The B and B show was lagging well behind MJH in ratings. B and B does not even get the top ratings of all the shows at their station. Bernstien is a paper tiger with a niche show. I like his work but I don't think the lack of Bernstien's presence would change the popularity of the station one bit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:36 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Whiny jewish sports geeks are a dime a dozen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
MJH was sucking that last year or so. If you were program manager, after firing Harry, what would you have done? Or do you think the relationship between mgmt was so bad both sides were done?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:42 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
good dolphin wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Bernstien has never carried a radio station. The B and B show was lagging well behind MJH in ratings. B and B does not even get the top ratings of all the shows at their station. Bernstien is a paper tiger with a niche show. I like his work but I don't think the lack of Bernstien's presence would change the popularity of the station one bit.

I totally agree with your assessment.

I also totally agree with having Lech Walesa as your avatar.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next