It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:49 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Sum1Here wrote:
I'm really surprised Bernstein likes baseball because it seems to be everything he dislikes: mediocre or bad teams beating good teams without logical reason, and great players being bad more than half the time.

I'm even more surprised he likes the Sox: fandom is blue collar, Chicagoans, and they are third or fourth fiddle in the city of sports. Bernstein always tries to align himself with the best.

Outsider chic/the Cubs' association with a certain kind of gentile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

schmitty1121 wrote:
Finfer is a tough listen. I've heard him on the weekends, and he always sounds like he has something in his mouth. Once again, it's a situation of Mac having his guy, who otherwise wouldn't get a job, sort of like meat.

Yeah. But most of the backups at the Score suck. You have to befriend higher ups to advance. It's how it's done.

Goff, on the other hand, is gonna try to advance by pissing on people of influence. Good luck with that strategy. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
schmitty1121 wrote:
Finfer is a tough listen. I've heard him on the weekends, and he always sounds like he has something in his mouth. Once again, it's a situation of Mac having his guy, who otherwise wouldn't get a job, sort of like meat.

I was listening 2 weeks ago Saturday I believe right before Sox coverage began. Tom Petty Spiegel was on with someone and they spent an entire segment talking about baby toys/apparatus stuff. I was unable to push the button but it was some of the worst radio I have ever heard. If that was Finfer then this could be brutal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Tall Midget wrote:
I've never been to a remote, but you bring up some great memories for me, Scorehead. Some of those guys--especially Rafael from Berwyn and Cleveland Mike--were fantastic callers. In the first 5-10 years of the Score, there were so many guys like that. Callers were treated with respect and were given ample time to speak. As a result a whole roster of "stars" were born. The station embraced this system because it was "the voice of the fan" speaking out against a "sports establishment" dominated by a soft print media that coddled irresponsible and apathetic sports ownership.

With the corporate consolidation of radio and the ascent of Bernstein at the station, that dynamic rapidly changed. Internalizing the aesthetic of reality television (which itself is a cultural expression of social darwinism and a rejection of the concept of a common good), Bernstein quickly turned sports talk into a mechanism for questioning the behavior of relatively powerless sports fans rather than a tool for criticizing the most powerful figures on the sports landscape. Effectively, Bernstein waged an ideological war on sports fandom by attempting to discredit its foundational concepts, the idea of collective experience and the common good. Bernstein believes in neither and as such is perfectly aligned with the reigning free market/privatization/austerity-driven orthodoxy of the contemporary moment. This value system explains his valorization of white collar identity and his dismissal of blue collar culture. Bernstein's hatred of the working class isn't based on class prejudice alone; rather, it penetrates much deeper--he is revolted by an entire type of experience (collective joy, pain, happiness and sorrow) and a way of looking at that experience (that big problems can be resolved by regular people if they band together) that together form the basis for a social category known as the working class.

This is why TM is a legend round these parts!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:20 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Sum1Here wrote:
I'm really surprised Bernstein likes baseball because it seems to be everything he dislikes: mediocre or bad teams beating good teams without logical reason, and great players being bad more than half the time.

I'm even more surprised he likes the Sox: fandom is blue collar, Chicagoans, and they are third or fourth fiddle in the city of sports. Bernstein always tries to align himself with the best.

To follow up on this, because I didn't feel like it earlier: why do you think he double-plus-really hates Crane Kenney? Because his silly antics and questionable business moves are embarrassing his favorite baseball team? No; he doesn't even like the Cubs. It's because Kenney so heavily exudes that aura of the restricted-country-club Kenilworth WASP who happily and complacently bullshits around with his not-entirely-earned position and preserves the status quo in the most insidious sense of the word, just to do shit-all with it. Obviously, he doesn't do all those things, but he seems for all the world like someone who's capable of being that. I mean, if I can see it, Dan can surely see it. He's the avatar of a certain kind of loathsome businessman, dying breed as it may be.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

Something I want to bring up. At the end of Thursday's show, Larry and Bernstein were talking about that Comcast girl. Bernstein said Larry was stalking here. Larry said "Why can't it be that she's stalking me?". Then Larry said Goff should date her. To which Goff went weird and said "I might get drowned if I dated her". Meaning that Chicago whites would kill him for dating a white women. Bernstein was shocked. So Larry took the cue and pretended to be shocked. I just thought it was disgusting for Goff to say that. He actually got embarrased when Bernstein said "Jeez". Goff then quickly asked Bernstein to move on.

That's what Goff does. He talkes his shit. Gets called on it. Gets scared. Backs down. He is a pussy. He's only tough when not confronted. He was the same way with the Mac confrontation about "Da Ma Na".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mitch needs to shut him up. Tell him to just hit the buttons. All he does is embarrass the station.

Mitch: I don't want to talk to any of them. I'm scared. Please don't make me, Beardown.

Beardown: Oy. :roll:

Just in case Goff pulls the "It never happened" on me, check the podcast. Thursday's show towords the end. Check betwen 5:35 and 6pm

Hell, The Score's Podcasts have ruined Goff's "It never happened" bullshit. :lol:

In fact, here it is

Go to 8:26 to hear the start of it.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.podtrac.com%2Fpts%2Fredirect.mp3%2Fnyc.podcast.play.it%2Fmedia%2Fd0%2Fd0%2Fd1%2Fd1%2Fd6%2FdD%2FdJ%2F116DJ_4.MP3%3Fauthtok%3D5561866746899018951_cd7pvJRaD7JofxhDb7sW0TEPY&podcast_name=Boers+and+Bernstein+Hour+5+-+8%2F30%2F2012&podcast_artist=Boers+and+Bernstein&station_id=391&tag=pages&dcid=CBS.CHI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:53 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Tall Midget wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
I don't know how old you are, or is you attended any Score remotes in the early to mid 1990's, but they were unbelievable, with guys coming in from out of town, I remember going to a HFC remote at Ron Santos old restaurant...the place was huge. I cant remember where it was or what it is now, but the entire bar was jammed with Scoreheads...completely packed. They did a live WYC with all the regulars at the time like Cleveland Mike, Cheesehead Scott, Raffy from Berwyn (RIP), & Bob somebody I forgot his moniker, he sounded like a south sider with a heavy Chicago accent. Anyway, these events were out of control & an absolute riot.
I would pay good money to be able to see an archive & video of events from the early days.

I've never been to a remote, but you bring up some great memories for me, Scorehead. Some of those guys--especially Rafael from Berwyn and Cleveland Mike--were fantastic callers. In the first 5-10 years of the Score, there were so many guys like that. Callers were treated with respect and were given ample time to speak. As a result a whole roster of "stars" were born. The station embraced this system because it was "the voice of the fan" speaking out against a "sports establishment" dominated by a soft print media that coddled irresponsible and apathetic sports ownership.

With the corporate consolidation of radio and the ascent of Bernstein at the station, that dynamic rapidly changed. Internalizing the aesthetic of reality television (which itself is a cultural expression of social darwinism and a rejection of the concept of a common good), Bernstein quickly turned sports talk into a mechanism for questioning the behavior of relatively powerless sports fans rather than a tool for criticizing the most powerful figures on the sports landscape. Effectively, Bernstein waged an ideological war on sports fandom by attempting to discredit its foundational concepts, the idea of collective experience and the common good. Bernstein believes in neither and as such is perfectly aligned with the reigning free market/privatization/austerity-driven orthodoxy of the contemporary moment. This value system explains his valorization of white collar identity and his dismissal of blue collar culture. Bernstein's hatred of the working class isn't based on class prejudice alone; rather, it penetrates much deeper--he is revolted by an entire type of experience (collective joy, pain, happiness and sorrow) and a way of looking at that experience (that big problems can be resolved by regular people if they band together) that together form the basis for a social category known as the working class.

The Score was built by & for meatballs, & not necessarily all blue collar south side meatballs. WSCR was the fans station & there was a feeling of community between the station, hosts, & fans. The group of Score regular callers who became well known had a fan following of there own. Listeners knew these 'famous" callers & monikers & would seek them out at remotes. Those were great times. Smoking Cigars with Boers, Doug, & other fellow Scoreheads are some great memories for me.
Its a real shame that Mitch let the entire station get Bernsteined with the whole anti meatball thing. The day Berns & Mitch are gone from the Score will be a great day.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:48 am 

Scorehead wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Scorehead wrote:
I don't know how old you are, or is you attended any Score remotes in the early to mid 1990's, but they were unbelievable, with guys coming in from out of town, I remember going to a HFC remote at Ron Santos old restaurant...the place was huge. I cant remember where it was or what it is now, but the entire bar was jammed with Scoreheads...completely packed. They did a live WYC with all the regulars at the time like Cleveland Mike, Cheesehead Scott, Raffy from Berwyn (RIP), & Bob somebody I forgot his moniker, he sounded like a south sider with a heavy Chicago accent. Anyway, these events were out of control & an absolute riot.
I would pay good money to be able to see an archive & video of events from the early days.

The Score was built by & for meatballs, & not necessarily all blue collar south side meatballs. WSCR was the fans station & there was a feeling of community between the station, hosts, & fans. The group of Score regular callers who became well known had a fan following of there own. Listeners knew these 'famous" callers & monikers & would seek them out at remotes. Those were great times. Smoking Cigars with Boers, Doug, & other fellow Scoreheads are some great memories for me.
Its a real shame that Mitch let the entire station get Bernsteined with the whole anti meatball thing. The day Berns & Mitch are gone from the Score will be a great day.

While it may have been designed for meatballs, they always had regulators. "See ya!", Hendrix music and other callers used to always signal when things got too stupid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Sum1Here wrote:

To follow up on this, because I didn't feel like it earlier: why do you think he double-plus-really hates Crane Kenney? Because his silly antics and questionable business moves are embarrassing his favorite baseball team? No; he doesn't even like the Cubs. It's because Kenney so heavily exudes that aura of the restricted-country-club Kenilworth WASP who happily and complacently bullshits around with his not-entirely-earned position and preserves the status quo in the most insidious sense of the word, just to do shit-all with it. Obviously, he doesn't do all those things, but he seems for all the world like someone who's capable of being that. I mean, if I can see it, Dan can surely see it. He's the avatar of a certain kind of loathsome businessman, dying breed as it may be.

I agree with most of that. But dan most definitely likes the Cubs and if they were to put together a couple really good seasons he'd be sitting in the third row (with comp tickets, of course) singing "Go, Cubs, Go!" And the idea that Sox fans are any more or less blue collar than Cub fans has been proven wrong. Perpetuating that myth is no different than insisting that "Bear Weather" actually exists.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Sum1Here wrote:

Bernstein became a White Sox fan roughly at the same time the Sox took their games off free television and put them on "On TV" or some kind of pay service like that. Associating with the Sox at that historical moment thus became a way of signifying one's class distinction. Because "Wrigleyville" didn't even exist yet as a coherent community composed of white collar migrants from the outlying suburbs and the Midwestern hinterlands, the Sox, oddly enough, were the team that allowed sports fans to engage in the socially symbolic act of conspicuous consumption during the early 80s, Bernstein's formative years.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
His disdain for the "lower classes" of people should come as no surprise. Many on this board will defend BernSTINE to the grave and tell us that it's all an act but his words and personality on the show runs far to consistent, deep and unwavering to all be just an act. It's real.

Case in point: that the subject of ticket prices and the exorbitant expense of going to a professional sporting event comes up. The inevitable next step is to get the callers on to complain about it as well, to tell us that they can no longer afford to go to the games with their kids as their fathers did with them, that they can no longer have a fun family outing at the ballpark...ballparks that most of the time are built with their tax dollars. BernSTINES response is always "Well, if you can't afford it, tough! If it's too expensive GET A BETTER JOB." Which translates into "You're just fat, lazy and complacent...better jobs are everywhere!" He lives in a bubble, he's insulated from the poor economy and it skews his thinking. His elitist nature is on display for all too see. He really is no different than the fat ugly woman worth 30 billion that lectured "the poor" on why they are poor and stupid, that lady also inherited the entire fortune. She knows little about which she speaks of and neither does BernSTINE. Hence his weak attempts at getting "street cred" like his fake love of rap, his super pot head past and all that.

Second case in point: Several months ago, maybe more (this call sticks out in my mind) a middle aged lad called in to argue about something. Well, the Danny B. used the usually technique of asking the guy what he did for a living. The man said "independent contractor" which garnered a huge condescending/mocking laugh from Dan and immediately led to Dan saying "OH YOU'RE A LABORER!!?? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA IDIOT." Like Dan is currently doing some high minded job improving the lives of people or othe such things.

It's all right there for us to see. This ain't no act.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Tall Midget wrote:
Sum1Here wrote:

Bernstein became a White Sox fan roughly at the same time the Sox took their games off free television and put them on "On TV" or some kind of pay service like that. Associating with the Sox at that historical moment thus became a way of signifying one's class distinction. Because "Wrigleyville" didn't even exist yet as a coherent community composed of white collar migrants from the outlying suburbs and the Midwestern hinterlands, the Sox, oddly enough, were the team that allowed sports fans to engage in the socially symbolic act of conspicuous consumption during the early 80s, Bernstein's formative years.

Particularly ironic given that he's more than willing to spend a whole segment tittering about frat-bro deutschebanks in cargo shorts and visors.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tall Midget wrote:
Sum1Here wrote:

I also think that the fact the Sunshine Boys were Jewish- which was rare in baseball ownership at the time- had something to do with danny becoming a Sox "fan". Now that baseball is run by Joos and the Cubs are run by the smartest Joo of them all, danny is salivating over re-embracing the Cubs once they are good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:07 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I also think that the fact the Sunshine Boys were Jewish- which was rare in baseball ownership at the time- had something to do with danny becoming a Sox "fan".

At the risk of going into ugly territory, I wonder how widespread this sentiment was. By rights, the north shore/Buffalo Grove/Arlington Heights should be rock-solid Cubs territory, but it seems like it's more or less just Steve Goodman and bigfan. And one's dead!

How silly, though, to embrace the White Sox on that basis, at a time when Reinsdorf/Einhorn ownership was nothing but reviled (firing Harry and Jimmy, moving to scramblevision, freezing out Andy the Clown, threatening to move to St. Petersburg). Bought low and sold high on that one.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:32 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
His disdain for the "lower classes" of people should come as no surprise. Many on this board will defend BernSTINE to the grave and tell us that it's all an act but his words and personality on the show runs far to consistent, deep and unwavering to all be just an act. It's real.

Case in point: that the subject of ticket prices and the exorbitant expense of going to a professional sporting event comes up. The inevitable next step is to get the callers on to complain about it as well, to tell us that they can no longer afford to go to the games with their kids as their fathers did with them, that they can no longer have a fun family outing at the ballpark...ballparks that most of the time are built with their tax dollars. BernSTINES response is always "Well, if you can't afford it, tough! If it's too expensive GET A BETTER JOB." Which translates into "You're just fat, lazy and complacent...better jobs are everywhere!" He lives in a bubble, he's insulated from the poor economy and it skews his thinking. His elitist nature is on display for all too see. He really is no different than the fat ugly woman worth 30 billion that lectured "the poor" on why they are poor and stupid, that lady also inherited the entire fortune. She knows little about which she speaks of and neither does BernSTINE. Hence his weak attempts at getting "street cred" like his fake love of rap, his super pot head past and all that.

Second case in point: Several months ago, maybe more (this call sticks out in my mind) a middle aged lad called in to argue about something. Well, the Danny B. used the usually technique of asking the guy what he did for a living. The man said "independent contractor" which garnered a huge condescending/mocking laugh from Dan and immediately led to Dan saying "OH YOU'RE A LABORER!!?? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA IDIOT." Like Dan is currently doing some high minded job improving the lives of people or othe such things.

It's all right there for us to see. This ain't no act.

Of course he is going to mock a laborer. He looks down on the working class because he can't do anything like that. The guy was ready to replace his garage door opener because a leaf was blocking the sensor. He's inept at everything but talking for a living. Listen to his stories. They are excessive celebrations of everyday activities where experiencing the mundane is a quasi-religious moment. He probably feels like less of a man. That's why he plays up the fishing stories all the time. By participating in that he claims a kind of semi-manliness. And even that he manages to fuck up by wearing a tucked in polo shirt to fish. I bet he really wants to be part of the working class he so readily mocks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
:lol: Yeah he's not manly, I never thought of it like that. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:14 pm 

Zizou wrote:
Listen to his stories. They are excessive celebrations of everyday activities where experiencing the mundane is a quasi-religious moment.

Quote:
So after work, at channel 5, I was hungry. So I went to a restaurant. And I ordered pizza. But they said it would take 20 minutes. Usually it doesn't take that long. So I waited for them to make my pizza. At that time, it really hit me how really, really amazing it is that you can ask someone to make you food, and then for a fee, they will make it for you. Then I completed the transaction and went home. That is where I ate the pizza.