It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
I'm late to the party, but that was pretty fucking brilliant Curious Hair! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

I PMed Big Fan asking him to make Curious Hair's comedy gold a sticky for all sections for a couple of weeks. Then leave it in the others section after that time period as a permanent sticky.

This is too good to not have everybody see it. You know people from the Score would love it too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Tall Midget wrote:
Just about everything on the show is geared towards undermining some form of collective experience or identity. That's the essence of the "Bernstein Turn" at the Score. He transformed the station from a populist mouthpiece to a tool of the status quo. The question of intentionality here is slightly irrelevant. The more salient point is that a whole structure of thinking has emerged around Bernstein's--and the larger popular culture's--prejudices. In this respect, Bernstein's war on the common good, the working class, collective struggle, etc has become a form of "common sense." That's the essence of ideological victory--it's ability to appear natural. This isn't to say that the show isn't funny. It is. But it's humor is built around a certain set of ideological assumptions developed to undermine classic liberal values.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Tall Midget wrote:

Just about everything on the show is geared towards undermining some form of collective experience or identity. That's the essence of the "Bernstein Turn" at the Score. He transformed the station from a populist mouthpiece to a tool of the status quo. The question of intentionality here is slightly irrelevant. The more salient point is that a whole structure of thinking has emerged around Bernstein's--and the larger popular culture's--prejudices. In this respect, Bernstein's war on the common good, the working class, collective struggle, etc has become a form of "common sense." That's the essence of ideological victory--it's ability to appear natural. This isn't to say that the show isn't funny. It is. But it's humor is built around a certain set of ideological assumptions developed to undermine classic liberal values.

I agree with most of what you say, though I fail to see how Bernstein seeks to undermine classic liberal values. The irony with Bernstein is that he - as you point out - does seek to belittle any collective experience. He often negatively refers to sports allegiances as "tribalism". He is correct, to a large extent - and I see many examples of this tribalism in American culture not only in sports but in politics. However, what Bernstein fails to realize is that he often falls victim to his own tribalistic absolutes while he attempts to discredit any other "tribalistic" thinking. A good example of this was the Cutler v. Orton debate. While I think the majority agreed they would rather have Jay Cutler (Bernstein being one of them), Bernstein was so adamant that he immediately and vehemently assailed anyone who dared suggest that Orton had any positive attributes at all. He failed to realize how hypocritical this stance was, given the emotional and irrational defense of Orton he was so against.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

The irony of Bernstein mocking "tribalism" is that he has created his own tribe. Boers, Drinky, Goff and some of his regular callers/texters are the Inidans. He's the Chief.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
He's like Colonel Kurtz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:42 pm 

TM why do you think he or the show is that way. What's his motivation or is it just his personality?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:48 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Spaulding wrote:
He's like Colonel Kurtz

haha yeah heart of DORKNESS.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
He's like Colonel Kurtz

haha yeah heart of DORKNESS.

Wait until he rolls Finfer's severed head at Mac.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:21 am 

Spaulding wrote:
He's like Colonel Kurtz

well at least you read one book

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Spaulding wrote:
TM why do you think he or the show is that way. What's his motivation or is it just his personality?

I could never speak for TM, but here is my take...

Dan has stated numerous times on his show, "I will not be a homer." He has taken this mindset to the extreme and in it, has taken away the joy and the narrative from our Chicago sports teams. Anything but a World Championship is absolute failure and no joy can be taken from reaching the playoffs. If you take any joy from this, you are "settling for mediocrity" so says Dan.
Dan does not believe in momentum or team chemistry, which I believe if you ever asked a professional player about these two thoughts, they would say they completely believe in them. Use of adjectives like "lockerroom cancer" or "lockerroom leader" would validate this thought as it is used ad nauseum by reporters and the mainstream sports media.
Dan has reduced sports to statistics and nothing more, which is why I don't listen to them through the baseball and basketball season, and rarely listen to them during football season. Dan is a bitter, self-absorbed, elitist, pseudo-intellect who uses his show as a bully pulpit to exact revenge on the people who most likely mocked him and made fun of him in his youth.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:14 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
well at least you read one book

Movie. Also check out A taco lips now.

interesting Bumpkin. I get the feeling Bernstein wants to be known as the smartest guy in the room and he's always trying to prove it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
i want to cordially give a standing ovation to tall midget as he nailed the bernstein experience.

like any and all mass/media endeavours, you have to have a suspension of disbelief to properly enjoy the b&b experiences, lest you wanna end up in the ranks of "the great unwashed' comprised of people who realize "hey, the guy is 5'2', i could kick his fucking ass"

yes, you probably could, but by doing so you manage to stereotype yourself in such a way that BERNSTEIN WINS.... BABALITY!

</chinesefingertrap>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Country Bumpkin wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Dan has stated numerous times on his show, "I will not be a homer." He has taken this mindset to the extreme and in it, has taken away the joy and the narrative from our Chicago sports teams. Anything but a World Championship is absolute failure and no joy can be taken from reaching the playoffs. If you take any joy from this, you are "settling for mediocrity" so says Dan.
Dan does not believe in momentum or team chemistry, which I believe if you ever asked a professional player about these two thoughts, they would say they completely believe in them. Use of adjectives like "lockerroom cancer" or "lockerroom leader" would validate this thought as it is used ad nauseum by reporters and the mainstream sports media.
Dan has reduced sports to statistics and nothing more, which is why I don't listen to them through the baseball and basketball season, and rarely listen to them during football season. Dan is a bitter, self-absorbed, elitist, pseudo-intellect who uses his show as a bully pulpit to exact revenge on the people who most likely mocked him and made fun of him in his youth.

Post of the year right there...

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Country Bumpkin wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

:cheers:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5