It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
redskingreg wrote:
I wonder if the show goes until 6 p.m. tonight. I have a 4-hour drive, starting around 5:30, and would enjoy a little B&B to start it.

Done at 5:30P for White Sox/Tigers' pregame. Boers is back Tuesday.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Now Leery doesn't like predicting games either.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Why does Bernstein think making predictions about the Bears' record is "stupid?"

I couldn't disagree with this position more strongly.

Record prognostication is a way of celebrating, enjoying and imagining the upcoming season. It's part of the joy of sports.

Bernstein is an ass.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:23 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Tall Midget wrote:
It's part of the joy of sports.

This show has absolutely no interest in the joy of sports.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Did anyone happen to catch Jesse & Fred up the dial today? I didn't, but Mac mentioned it.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
It's part of the joy of sports.

This show has absolutely no interest in the joy of sports.

Yeah, any kind of collective enjoyment is strictly prohibited by Dan. If it brings people together, it's bad.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:28 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
Did anyone happen to catch Jesse & Fred up the dial today? I didn't, but Mac mentioned it.

They were filling in for "Waddle & Silvy", while Tom is subbing for Carmen & Harry alongside Jurko right now up the dial. I only heard a little bit of Huebner & Rogers during a break on Mac & Spiegs' show...Haven't heard Waddle & Jurkovic once.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
How we doing on Bingo That? Seems to me he has dialed down the act today.

Been in and out of the office, so I only have a "You're Right Dan" and an off hand "Bears Namedrop".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:33 pm 

Holmes is talking about the late Sherman Hemsley right now. He hasn't been buried...due to a dispute over the estate (?).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:35 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Holmes is talking about the late Sherman Hemsley right now. He hasn't been buried...due to a dispute over the estate (?).

"A lot to do with race"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:36 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
SHARK wrote:

"A lot to do with race"

I thought it was more financial than race...Something that I know very little about.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
How about "I coached high school football?"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
badrogue17 wrote:
Wow they scored a John Lovitz interview?? Huge get. Nice job Matt and Goff.

It is kind of ironic that the midday show is seen as the domain of goofoffs who like hockey and mustard and writing parody songs and the afternoon show brands itself as The Serious Show For Grownup Listeners Who Like Being Told Why Everything They Love Is Stupid. The former scores plenty of good guests, and the latter occasionally crawls outside its own ass to host circle-jerk sessions with Kevin Goldstein and Jon fucking Lovitz.

Tall Midget wrote:
SHARK wrote:
Bernsy mentioned it yesterday during the 3 hour version of the "Boers & Bernstein Show" yesterday. Bernsy said at the time Lovitz was one of his favorites.

Did he also declare his fondness for being on the cutting edge of 1986?

lol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:04 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
This should be a good Friday Fung. My experiences with the Metra and the L have been pleasantly incident-free. In fact, my farecard seems to have added money to itself!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:25 pm 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Wow they scored a John Lovitz interview?? Huge get. Nice job Matt and Goff.

It is kind of ironic that the midday show is seen as the domain of goofoffs who like hockey and mustard and writing parody songs and the afternoon show brands itself as The Serious Show For Grownup Listeners Who Like Being Told Why Everything They Love Is Stupid. The former scores plenty of good guests, and the latter occasionally crawls outside its own ass to host circle-jerk sessions with Kevin Goldstein and Jon fucking Lovitz.

Mac- Gets major NCAA program announcer interview and subsequent suspension

B and B- President of the Moustache Association

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

So basically this transportation segment is going to be about how a government-subsidized service and the people who rely on it suck. Shocking.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:33 pm 

Do I get a "Women of Chicago Media" and a "Channel 5" for bringing up apropos of nothing that Cheryl Scott hurt herself?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:34 pm 

That's a double dinger right there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Yes.

Bonus points for Peggy Kuzinski?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:37 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
So basically this transportation segment is going to be about how a government-subsidized service and the people who rely on it suck. Shocking.

I'm a big advocate of public transit, but sometimes you have to have some fun with things like "driver of Pace Bus runs to nearest bathroom and leaves bus running in the middle of the street." Beating up on jerkasses who take the Metra in from Naperville isn't exactly class warfare, if that's what you're getting at.

I think even with its faults and foibles, Chicago has a pretty awesome railroad system.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:39 pm 

Had a guy go into a seizure right next to me on the bus. She fell on a little hottie, hit the ground and began seizing. She hit him, then realized her error. Felt bad for the guy. Lost his bowels. By the time the ambulance came he had pulled out of it and was able to stand up and walk off the train. That was when he realized his poor bladder control.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I'm a big advocate of public transit, but sometimes you have to have some fun with things like "driver of Pace Bus runs to nearest bathroom and leaves bus running in the middle of the street." Beating up on jerkasses who take the Metra in from Naperville isn't exactly class warfare, if that's what you're getting at.

I think even with its faults and foibles, Chicago has a pretty awesome railroad system.

The whole point of the segment is to treat public transportation as if it's some kind of exotic experience filled with social miscreants and random danger. As such it discredits the notion of the common good by associating it with the grotesque. Similar strategies were used by the corporate media to discredit the Occupy movement.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Tall Midget wrote:

People who work for it suck too.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

People who work for it suck too.

Good point.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:58 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

The whole point of the segment is to treat public transportation as if it's some kind of exotic experience filled with social miscreants and random danger. As such it discredits the notion of the common good by associating it with the grotesque. Similar strategies were used by the corporate media to discredit the Occupy movement.

It sort of ended up that way, but I don't think it was intended to. I mean, it grew out of Rozner running afoul of some dorks on the Northwest Line. Not really grotesque so much as just annoying. The New York Subway is sort of celebrated for its weirdness; do you think there's malice in that? I suppose the difference there is that New York doesn't really give you a choice. Chicago does, I guess, but did you hear Jason say it's $26 to park? People who drop $130 a week on parking are the true insane.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

It sort of ended up that way, but I don't think it was intended to. I mean, it grew out of Rozner running afoul of some dorks on the Northwest Line. Not really regrotesque so much as just annoying. The New York Subway is sort of celebrated for its weirdness; do you think there's malice in that? I suppose the difference there is that New York doesn't really give you a choice. Chicago does, I guess, but did you hear Jason say it's $26 to park?
Its only $18 if you're white.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

It sort of ended up that way, but I don't think it was intended to. I mean, it grew out of Rozner running afoul of some dorks on the Northwest Line. Not really regrotesque so much as just annoying. The New York Subway is sort of celebrated for its weirdness; do you think there's malice in that? I suppose the difference there is that New York doesn't really give you a choice. Chicago does, I guess, but did you hear Jason say it's $26 to park? People who drop $130 a week on parking are the true insane.

Just about everything on the show is geared towards undermining some form of collective experience or identity. That's the essence of the "Bernstein Turn" at the Score. He transformed the station from a populist mouthpiece to a tool of the status quo. The question of intentionality here is slightly irrelevant. The more salient point is that a whole structure of thinking has emerged around Bernstein's--and the larger popular culture's--prejudices. In this respect, Bernstein's war on the common good, the working class, collective struggle, etc has become a form of "common sense." That's the essence of ideological victory--it's ability to appear natural. This isn't to say that the show isn't funny. It is. But it's humor is built around a certain set of ideological assumptions developed to undermine classic liberal values.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:24 pm 

Can't really argue any of that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

Pretty good observations, Tall Midget. Spot on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Here's the game of Leery Bingo we talked about doing:

LET'S GO

This is one of the funniest things anyone has ever posted here. It's like the Platonic Form of Lerry jokes.

Agreed,Dave. This is lifetime achievement award material.

Great work, Curious.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next