It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:37 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
All other things being equal my guess is that a child or children simply not having to worry about or even consider the am I with dad or mom at any given time idea would be an advantage. One less thing for a kid to think/worry about.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:37 am 

good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Also, dolphin you are essentially making the "stay together for the kids" argument, which we all know is a terrible idea

I am not. I am pointing out the realties of the situation. Like work, I understand people have to do what they have to do.

No you're not. You're pointing out realities from time gone by.

And saying that Married people make better parents is EXACTLY the thinking behind stay together for the kids.

You're just wrong man. Like I pointed out about the Hawg question from a while ago. You were so confident that Hawg had free weekends you didnt even ask IF he had them, you asked how he liked them. Obviously, you dont have a good feel for this type of thing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:46 am 

[quote="rogers park bryan]
And saying that Married people make better parents .[/quote]

You continue to frame it that way. I continue to counter that I did not.

If you believe that missing time you would otherwise have spent with your children but for divorce has not impaired your relationship in any way then I guess I will just defer to your knowledge of the situation. I would rely on the opposite to be true generally.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:38 am 

good dolphin wrote:

If you believe that missing time you would otherwise have spent with your children but for divorce .

No. You keep missing this. They are NOT missing any time.

Unless youre talking time the child is asleep....which doesnt really matter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:44 am 

Keeping Score wrote:
dolphin is brutal with the quote function.

People that don't know how to use the quote function are bad parents.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:50 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Keeping Score wrote:
dolphin is brutal with the quote function.

People that don't know how to use the quote function are bad parents.

Yeah, but they get to spend 24/7 with their kids.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:50 am 

Rare ignorance from dolphin.

And he's so dug in he refuses to acknowledge that his ideas are from a time gone by.

And he's painting it like Im saying missing time with your kids doesnt matter....which is total bullshit. Im saying the exact opposite.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:51 am 

I don't think divorce is ever good for the kids or that it makes the parents better in any way. Statistically speaking there are all sorts of increased odds for things such as suicide, drug use and criminal activity. Are we to believe that your father not living with you growing up makes you closer?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:54 am 

Wow, just wow!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:55 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Wow, just wow!!!

Is Little Hawger selling weed yet?

Cuz I really need some...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:57 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Wow, just wow!!!

Is Little Hawger selling weed yet?

Cuz I really need some...

Yes amongst other things and he hates me and we are not close because of the divorce. Just ask him.

Forgot to mention the pimp thing, he has that rollin too. Dude is so busy we don't have time for each other.

Last edited by Hawg Ass on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Way to ruin his life Hawg.

You selfish jackass.

:pig:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:59 am 

Mini Ditka wrote:
I don't think divorce is ever good for the kids or that it makes the parents better in any way. Statistically speaking there are all sorts of increased odds for things such as suicide, drug use and criminal activity. Are we to believe that your father not living with you growing up makes you closer?

Those stats are not current.

I was closer to my dad than my mom. I lived with my mom (meaning that's where I slept)

You lose

And YES, it absolutely makes the parents better if they are miserable in marriage

Get out of the 50's dude

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Divorce should be mandatory. It give the parents a break from the kids once in a while.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:04 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
You sure put a lot of stock in sleeping.

Because other than that, many dads ARE living with them.

as a person who literally knows hundreds of divorced children, this statement is so inaccurate it's almost difficult to respond to it.

It is not the reality. I'm not saying it toward the mother or father specifically, just that it's not true.The 'split time' scenario is generally the rule, not the exception.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:13 pm 

spanky wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
You sure put a lot of stock in sleeping.

Because other than that, many dads ARE living with them.

as a person who literally knows hundreds of divorced children, this statement is so inaccurate it's almost difficult to respond to it.

It is not the reality. I'm not saying it toward the mother or father specifically, just that it's not true.The 'split time' scenario is generally the rule, not the exception.

You have misunderstood something along the way here or Im not understanding what you mean by split time.

If you are saying the see the kid every other weekend thing is the most common arrangement, Im going to go ahead and disagree.

I too spend time a good deal of time dealing with kids whose parents are divorced.

But, dolphin is saying it automatically hinders your ability to parent. Im saying it doesnt. If you want to be there for everything, you can.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:23 pm 

With that understanding, isn't it obvious that in most cases only being with a child 1/2 the time (due to split arrangement) what GD is saying?

I didn't take what GD was saying in anyway being critical of either parent. Just that the lack of direct contact time with the child can be/ is a hindrance in the parenting process (a hurdle which can and is often overcome through cooperation between the parents).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:28 pm 

spanky wrote:
With that understanding, isn't it obvious that in most cases only being with a child 1/2 the time (due to split arrangement) what GD is saying?

There are situations where its not half the time.

Sometimes a divorce can lead one parent to spend more time with the kid.

Every situation is unique. And even if you do split, that doesnt mean the time you're not there you would be if you were married

Many people schedule it so there free time is with the kid and the time without the kid is when they work (wouldnt be seeing him anyway)

spanky wrote:
I didn't take what GD was saying in anyway being critical of either parent. Just that the lack of direct contact time with the child can be/ is a hindrance in the parenting process (a hurdle which can and is often overcome through cooperation between the parents).

Well, maybe I read him wrong but it seemed to me he was suggesting it cant be overcome.

Like he was saying, you're automatically a worse parent, you just have to do your best with a bad hand.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:11 pm 

Beardown wrote:
mcbrides wrote:
And this is in the B&B section why????

Because "Team Bernstein" is always looking for racism. This is the sort of thing that sets off the alarm on the B&B show.

I know "Team Bernstein" will be quick to call Mully a racist. That's their nature. I'll defend Mully. Wade really can't write a book about being a good father when he doesn't have custody of his kids for the majority of the year. It would be like me writing a "How to get white women" book.

I know plenty of good Dads who don't have primary custody of their kids because they travel a lot. Heck I know plenty of good Dads who don't have custody because the mother was a better option. Doesn't mean they are bad dads just means the mom was a better option.

And I also know a few Dads who should have custody but don't because the court usually sides with the woman although this is changing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:15 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
spanky wrote:

Every situation is unique. And even if you do split, that doesnt mean the time you're not there you would be if you were married

Many people schedule it so there free time is with the kid and the time without the kid is when they work (wouldnt be seeing him anyway)

spanky wrote:

Well, maybe I read him wrong but it seemed to me he was suggesting it cant be overcome.

Like he was saying, you're automatically a worse parent, you just have to do your best with a bad hand.

The best thing for divorced parents is to to try and love your kids more than you hate each other.

I was lucky. My parents divorced when I was 4. THey decided despite their differences they were a team to raise my older brother and I and when they remarried my stepparents joined the team and everyone got along well (it helps that neither stepparent was a factor in the divorce). Many of their friends who divorced later followed their child custody model.

I have so many friends whos parents can't even be in the same room together for 10 minutes and misbehaved at their weddings or children's christenings or other celebrations when it only happens once can't be done over or twice.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:21 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
spanky wrote:

spanky wrote:

It takes effort and a lot of times the custodial parent puts up roadblocks.

I have a close friend who thought her Dad didn't care about her because he barely contacted her. Turns out her mother did some evil things in that vein over the years. Thankfully she found out the truth and is close to her Dad who is also a doting grandfather to her kids now.

When I was growing up my Dad had us every other weekend from Friday to Sunday night and we had dinner with him during the other week. We talked on the phone regularly and saw him often at unscheduled times as well. He came to every performance or game or such and he and my Mom got along well that major celebrations were a combined event. He saw all our report cards and went to every parent/teacher conference. Just because he wasn't there on a daily basis doesn't mean he wasn't involved in our lives. He also got along well with my stepfather because he only cared that he was good to my brother and me and I believe cared he was a good man for my Mom. Same with my mom and stepmother.

People still talk about the rehearsal dinner for my brothers wedding when my Dad mentioned my stepdad (who died 3 years earlier) in his toast.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:24 pm 

spanky wrote:

Spanky you and I usually can't even agree what day it is but your comment about cooperation between the parents hit a grand slam.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:26 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Also, dolphin you are essentially making the "stay together for the kids" argument, which we all know is a terrible idea

Sometimes if there is a lot of fighting and such it probably is better for the kids if the parents get divorced. Living in a hostile house can be even harder on the kids.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:29 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Makaveli wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Makaveli wrote:
After seeing Wade date Star Jones it's not his parenting that I would question. I think I understand what Mully was trying to say. In an ideal world having 2 parents living in the same household and sharing responsibilities is probably better for the child. However every marriage isn't like that. I would wager very few are.

The problem with being a divorced parent is that you are simply not there for all the moments that make up parenting. I'm going to really generalize here and sound incredibly ignorant but if you don't have full custody, as most fathers do not, you have a relationship similar to that of a really good uncle or grandparent.

I will now take my beat down

I completely understand the point you're making but I don't believe that's the case just because of divorce. You could just have 1 parent working more outside the home and that parent would also miss the same stuff. I agree not being there EVERYDAY you do miss a lot of stuff but that happens a lot in most marriages.

of course...My relationship with my children is impacted by my work hours and my wife has a different relationship with them than I do

Just make the most of the time you have. There are probably people with more time with their kids that have less of a relationship because they don't take advantage of all the time they have.

Perhaps sometimes you make the time better because you know it's limited.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Jeezus Jumped Up Christ can you ever just keep your fucking thoughts to yourself!!!

You're as bad as Jimmy Feldman and his dumbass Fox News rhetoric...this discussion is days old. I'm sure you have many "good friends" who have had this experience...as you do all the damn time. Sometimes, your two cents just aren't necessary. This is one of those times.

Go back to Facebook stalking Schuster...if he hasn't blocked your ass.

Ugh.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Why the F is this thread in the B&B forum?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:03 pm 

editorathome wrote:
Why the F is this thread in the B&B forum?

Damn.

I take back both of my posts in this thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5