It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hawg Ass wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:
Would a mother who is traveling 100 days of the year with kids 10 and under, write a book about motherhood?

You really are a fucking dickhead

Yep, that's about the terminology I was looking for.

Hard not to argue...

But he's just being a good Christian. They aren't crazy, remember?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:09 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:
Would a mother who is traveling 100 days of the year with kids 10 and under, write a book about motherhood?

Hard not to argue...

I consider myself a Christian and would never have that view point. You can't fix stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:11 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
I consider myself a Christian and would never have that view point. You can't fix stupid.

Nope, you cant. Sometimes you can fix intolerance, but the intolerant have to be willing. Kinda like drug rehab. Mini Ditka doesnt seem to be willing to go to tolerance rehab.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
FavreFan wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:

Hard not to argue...

Who on this board ever said Christians aren't crazy?

And what is Lil' D saying that has you so enraged? I'm looking for something in the Elmhurst Steve area and I'm not seeing it, maybe I missed something.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

Seacrest wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Mully strikes me as one of those old fashioned Irish-Catholics. You pick a women and stay with her forever. Doesn't matter if you fall out of love. Doesn't matter if you grow to hate each other. YOU NEVER GET DIVORCED.

Also, Irish-Catholics, are not gonna take father advice from a multi millionaire NBA player that doesn't have custody of his kids and spends the majority of nights drinking at night clubs and/or making it rain at strip clubs.

That's just the nature of Irish-Catholics. That's how they are. I've known a few.

Love is an act of the will. A choice. You never fall out of it. You opt out by choice.

Well, since we're gonna get all deep. Bette Midler put it best...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxSTzSEiZ2c

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:34 pm 

Makaveli wrote:
After seeing Wade date Star Jones it's not his parenting that I would question. I think I understand what Mully was trying to say. In an ideal world having 2 parents living in the same household and sharing responsibilities is probably better for the child. However every marriage isn't like that. I would wager very few are.

The problem with being a divorced parent is that you are simply not there for all the moments that make up parenting. I'm going to really generalize here and sound incredibly ignorant but if you don't have full custody, as most fathers do not, you have a relationship similar to that of a really good uncle or grandparent.

I will now take my beat down

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:36 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Makaveli wrote:
After seeing Wade date Star Jones it's not his parenting that I would question. I think I understand what Mully was trying to say. In an ideal world having 2 parents living in the same household and sharing responsibilities is probably better for the child. However every marriage isn't like that. I would wager very few are.

The problem with being a divorced parent is that you are simply not there for all the moments that make up parenting. I'm going to really generalize here and sound incredibly ignorant but if you don't have full custody, as most fathers do not, you have a relationship similar to that of a really good uncle or grandparent.

From my experiences growing up around plenty of kids/friends that were from divorced parents.....I kinda agree. My experience is a limited one, though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:36 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
And what is Lil' D saying that has you so enraged? I'm looking for something in the Elmhurst Steve area and I'm not seeing it, maybe I missed something.

Im not enraged. I just find his ignorant, narrow-minded views to be ignorant and narrow-minded. If you cant easily identify the statements in this thread that I am talking about, then Im not sure the conversation is worth having.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:37 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

Im not enraged. I just find his ignorant, narrow-minded views to be ignorant and narrow-minded. If you cant easily identify the statements in this thread that I am talking about, then Im not sure the conversation is worth having.

Oh no, please, point them out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:42 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

Oh no, please, point them out.

- The majority of NBA players are shitty dads who cheat on their wives
- LeBron is an unfit husband
- Any mother or father who travels is an unfit, bad parent

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:51 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:

Mini Ditka wrote:
The next thing you know LeBron James is going to write a best seller on marriage.

Mini Ditka wrote:
I imagine a good portion of the basketball players are cheating on their wives. I think that would make them bad fathers. Also being a basketball player it's not like you're actually around your kids for a lot of the time with the extensive travel schedule.

Mini Ditka wrote:
Are you suggesting that spending quality time with his children is part of what makes a good father?

I think your disgust is a bit much for what Mini-D is saying in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:53 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:

Mini Ditka wrote:
The next thing you know LeBron James is going to write a best seller on marriage.

Mini Ditka wrote:
I imagine a good portion of the basketball players are cheating on their wives. I think that would make them bad fathers. Also being a basketball player it's not like you're actually around your kids for a lot of the time with the extensive travel schedule.

Mini Ditka wrote:
Are you suggesting that spending quality time with his children is part of what makes a good father?

I think your disgust is a bit much for what Mini-D is saying in this thread.

I dont. Good conversation. Definitely worth having.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:54 pm 

It really wasn't a conversation. It was just me telling you what the story was.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:59 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:

No it wasnt. I stated the story before you. We disagree with the interpretation of his words. Thats fine. It was a conversation, albeit a short, unproductive one.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:59 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

No it wasnt. I stated the story before you. We disagree with the interpretation of his words. Thats fine. It was a conversation, albeit a short, unproductive one.

:(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:01 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Mini Ditka wrote:

Hard not to argue...

No, he's not.

He's actually violating a pretty famous biblical doctrine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:06 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Makaveli wrote:

The problem with being a divorced parent is that you are simply not there for all the moments that make up parenting.

False.

You think all fathers are "every other weekend" dads?

My parents were divorced. I resided with my mom, but spent just as much waking time with my dad and he was there for every moment.

good dolphin wrote:
I'm going to really generalize here and sound incredibly ignorant but if you don't have full custody, as most fathers do not, you have a relationship similar to that of a really good uncle or grandparent.

What an incredibly dumb assed statement. You got the ignorant part right.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:08 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

:(

It's ok. You're still my guy. Let's go pick a fight with OKC.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:14 pm 

GD, that is really disappointing that you would write that. As a divorced dad who has done everything I can to get the most time with my son it's really bothersome that some would have this view point. It must be nice sitting on that very high horse.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:15 pm 

Oh and furthermore, parents being together is not always or even most of the time, the best thing for the kid.

Many people hate eachother and are miserable because they DONT get divorced. That doesnt improve their parenting, it hinders it

I really dont care much about people here in real life, but I hope dolphin is trolling or misspoke somehow.

If the statement was, "Divorced dads that arent around enough" is not ideal for kids that's fine

There are many divorced parents that see the child as much if not more than their married counterparts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:17 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
GD, that is really disappointing that you would write that. As a divorced dad who has done everything I can to get the most time with my son it's really bothersome that some would have this view point. It must be nice sitting on that very high horse.

I think you may be interpreting what GD said in the wrong way.

I took it as this: A lot of the time, fathers that are divorced don't get to see the kids often enough, for whatever reason and it's not always the fathers doing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:18 pm 

I think I get what gd was saying. I very much disagree with the uncle/grandpa analogy. A father's role is irreplaceable, and uncomparable. There is no analogy that would work IMO.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:20 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

I took it as this: A lot of the time, fathers that are divorced don't get to see the kids often enough, for whatever reason and it's not always the fathers doing.

No, I read it perfectly fine, saying that divorced parents have the relationship with their child like a uncle or a grandparent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:21 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

No, I read it perfectly fine, saying that divorced parents have the relationship with their child like a uncle or a grandparent.

Oh. You didn't make that clear in your initial post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:22 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Oh. You didn't make that clear in your initial post.

My apologies for not being more clear.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:24 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

If he meant that he did a piss poor job of imparting it

He said its FULL custody or you are an uncle.

Ridiculous.

I dont wanna play the "Look at Hawg Ass" card (who does?) but look at Hawg ass.

Many parents who DO have "full" custody spend less time with the kid than the other parent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
good dolphin wrote:
Makaveli wrote:

I completely understand the point you're making but I don't believe that's the case just because of divorce. You could just have 1 parent working more outside the home and that parent would also miss the same stuff. I agree not being there EVERYDAY you do miss a lot of stuff but that happens a lot in most marriages.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:02 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:

Divorce is bothersome. I'm sure you spend all the time you can with your kid. If you have absolute free acess to the kid and the kid to you, you have a unique relationship with your ex. If you do not, the divorce, almost by definition, provides an impediment to your relationship with your child and fundamentally alters the relationship.

I really have written nothing controversial. It's not a high horse as I neither judge nor care. It seems logical that when you miss things (and by things I don't mean big events like games, recitals, etc.) you would otherwise be present for but for the divorce the relationship has suffered.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:05 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

Divorce is bothersome. I'm sure you spend all the time you can with your kid. If you have absolute free acess to the kid and the kid to you, you have a unique relationship with your ex. If you do not, the divorce, almost by definition, provides an impediment to your relationship with your child and fundamentally alters the relationship.

I really have written nothing controversial. It's not a high horse as I neither judge nor care. It seems logical that when you miss things (and by things I don't mean big events like games, recitals, etc.) you would otherwise be present for but for the divorce the relationship has suffered.

The point is that same thing can happen in marriages, due to numerous causes. I respect and value a lot of your opinions on this board, but can't agree with some of your comments here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
good dolphin wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

I agree. If my role was reversed there are a lot of things that I take for granted right now that I would really miss. However I still liken it to a father that's always on the road or works late in the office most nights. Missing those things aren't unique to divorced couples.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next