It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:08 am 

If you either didn't go to college or you went to UIC or DePaul for example who doesn't have a team and you like football what's the difference between deciding to root for Northwestern, Notre Dame or whomever than liking baseball and chosing the Cubs or Sox?

I know a few DePaul students that have adopted NU as their favorite team.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:24 am 

i agree with the twerp on this one. college football sucks. look at the badger game last night. they got their ass handed to them by a no name team and what happens? some junior kicker cant kick a 20 yard field goal and the badgers still win.

what a joke. college football sucks. oh yeah and like 3 times yesterday some guy running with the ball gets swarmed by 20 people and some how gets out of it and runs for a td? do they start teaching tackling in the pro leagues?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
BernSTINE is an insufferable faux intellectual douchebag.

That aint no act on the radio, folks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
IkeSouth wrote:
i agree with the twerp on this one. college football sucks. look at the badger game last night. they got their ass handed to them by a no name team and what happens? some junior kicker cant kick a 20 yard field goal and the badgers still win.

what a joke. college football sucks. oh yeah and like 3 times yesterday some guy running with the ball gets swarmed by 20 people and some how gets out of it and runs for a td? do they start teaching tackling in the pro leagues?

I have to agree. I hate college football. I can't stand the people clamoring for it either. The tackling thing does stand out a lot when I do happen to watch it, frustrating beyond belief.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: ***
It's a short distance from "rooting for a college team is stupid" to "rooting for a team is stupid" to "sports are stupid." You know what? Sports are stupid. And they are fun and I like them so sod off.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
And anybody who says otherwise is a bloody wanker!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:35 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
It's a short distance from "rooting for a college team is stupid" to "rooting for a team is stupid" to "sports are stupid." You know what? Sports are stupid. And they are fun and I like them so sod off.

no youre wrong. pro leagues are full grown men competing for millions of dollars TRYING to hurt each other. that is real entertainment.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:35 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
I don't have a problem with casual fans. The problem for me is those "fans" who have no affiliation with the school but get so involved in the outcome of a game being played by 18-20 year old kids that they poison tress and shit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:17 pm 

Franky T wrote:
I don't have a problem with casual fans. The problem for me is those "fans" who have no affiliation with the school but get so involved in the outcome of a game being played by 18-20 year old kids that they poison tress and shit.

+1. Enjoy the game; but that sort of shit is just stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:34 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
College sports fandom too often fancies itself as something more encompassing than just liking a sports team, which is where it gets so ugly to me. I've never used a Blackhawks win to tell a Islanders fan that this outcome proves my superior intelligence, our divisional competitiveness, hotness of local females, drinking prowess, so on, so forth. (Besides, Long Island has some srs QTs if you're into that whole thing.) Et tu, Bee Won Jee fans?

I don't get into international sports for the same reason, especially international hockey, which really seems to rankle my fellow hockey fans who eat the shit up with a spoon. USA-Canada is the fakest-ass "national" rivalry around, as far as hockey goes. Most elite American players grow up in states that are more culturally akin to Canada (Minnesota, Michigan, upstate NY) than parts of their own country, then play their major-junior in Ontario or the Prairies, and wind up pronouncing "out" as "oat" like a hoser. Most elite Canadians play in a mostly American league and profit immensely from our tax system. Furthermore, many players have dual citizenship as children of Canadians born in America or whatever. It's cooked-up nonsense based on which side of an imaginary line your mom was on when she popped you out, if even that. Finkle is Einhorn. Sorry for the off-topic rant.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Initially I would say root for whomever......however after being around the likes of Ohio State fans I think Bernie may be onto something. The OSO fandom is creepy and obsessive.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Magliozzi's
Curious Hair wrote:
College sports fandom too often fancies itself as something more encompassing than just liking a sports team, which is where it gets so ugly to me. I've never used a Blackhawks win to tell a Islanders fan that this outcome proves my superior intelligence, our divisional competitiveness, hotness of local females, drinking prowess, so on, so forth. (Besides, Long Island has some srs QTs if you're into that whole thing.) Et tu, Bee Won Jee fans?

I don't get into international sports for the same reason, especially international hockey, which really seems to rankle my fellow hockey fans who eat the shit up with a spoon. USA-Canada is the fakest-ass "national" rivalry around, as far as hockey goes. Most elite American players grow up in states that are more culturally akin to Canada (Minnesota, Michigan, upstate NY) than parts of their own country, then play their major-junior in Ontario or the Prairies, and wind up pronouncing "out" as "oat" like a hoser. Most elite Canadians play in a mostly American league and profit immensely from our tax system. Furthermore, many players have dual citizenship as children of Canadians born in America or whatever. It's cooked-up nonsense based on which side of an imaginary line your mom was on when she popped you out, if even that. Finkle is Einhorn. Sorry for the off-topic rant.

Keep telling yourself that pro sports aren't like that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:43 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:

Yeah, college football is awful because someone missed a chip shot field goal to win the game. Did you watch the Patriots-Cardinals game or last year's AFC title game? Then the NFL must suck as well.

Go to Madison, Ann Arbor, or South Bend on a Saturday and tell me that is not fun. Better yet, check out an SEC game. It is pure fandom.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Pulling for a college team makes bernstein feel like a rube. And feeling like a rube is anathema to metropolitan dan. It's as simple as that. He'd rather marvel at the way Ennis Whatley cuts his toenails.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:53 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Sports = Entertainment.

Neither of their principals will ever care as much about their fans as they do for them

Over the top love for any team = A creepy celebrity obsession

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:13 am 

I agree with the whole college thing but Cubs suck.