It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
City of Fools wrote:
I thought they needed a center more than a PF. And under no circumstances did they need Boozer.

:lol: I was wondering when we would get some Jo Noah hate

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
City of Fools wrote:
I thought they needed a center more than a PF. And under no circumstances did they need Boozer.

OK, but you also mistakenly think Noah sucks. C and PG havent been a need for 3+ years now.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:58 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

:lol: I was wondering when we would get some Jo Noah hate

The fact that he thought we needed a replacement for our 2nd best guy instead of a guy for a position where we literally had nobody is very telling. I think we can wrap up this little discussion now.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
FavreFan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
and as for Gay versus Deng, I think over the long haul that Gay will prove to be the better player. I am very skeptical of Deng having another season like his last.

:lol: stupid keyboard. Chicago should be in the top 3 in the NBA. No other sport is so media market centered.

:lol: Over the long haul?

I'm pretty sure we basically know who each one is. At best, they are equal. Deng is probably slightly better.

ok, we'll disagree on that. And yes, Noah sucks. We'll see what he is after the injury.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: ------

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:03 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
And yes, Noah sucks. We'll see what he is after the injury.

Your second statement has absolutely nothing to do with your first statement in this quote. He's had four seasons of playing very well now. He doesnt suck. Far from it. He is a top 10 starting center, and has been for 4 years now. Closer to 5 than 10 too.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:04 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:

I was hoping the Bulls would get him. Fuckin Phoenix finally decides to spend some money.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:04 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Your second statement has absolutely nothing to do with your first statement in this quote. He's had four seasons of playing very well now. He doesnt suck. Far from it. He is a top 10 starting center, and has been for 4 years now. Closer to 5 than 10 too.

yeah, I was wrong on Shannon Brown. I don't think I'm wrong on Noah. I've made it clear that the real reason I don't like the guy is that they drafted him too high and there's other guys I'd have rather had that year. The fact that he can't shoot and never will, leaving opposing defenses to lean 5-8 feet off of him is just salt in the wound.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:07 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

yeah, I was wrong on Shannon Brown. I don't think I'm wrong on Noah. I've made it clear that the real reason I don't like the guy is that they drafted him too high and there's other guys I'd have rather had that year. The fact that he can't shoot and never will, leaving opposing defenses to lean 5-8 feet off of him is just salt in the wound.

Who would you have rather they gotten instead of Noah? Google the draft if it will help. Spencer Hawes is garbage.

Most centers cant shoot, and Noah can shoot better than most centers. Of course he isnt very good at it. He's probably the best passing big man in the league, can run the floor almost as well as any C, plays good defense, and is a very good rebounder. There's no case at all you can make that he sucks, and you cant even make a case that he was drafted too high. His career is exactly what you want from a guy you draft ninth overall.

Edit:Best passing center, not big man. My bad.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:09 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Who would you have rather they gotten instead of Noah? Google the draft if it will help. Spencer Hawes is garbage.

Most centers cant shoot, and Noah can shoot better than most centers. Of course he isnt very good at it. He's probably the best passing big man in the league, can run the floor almost as well as any C, plays good defense, and is a very good rebounder. There's no case at all you can make that he sucks, and you cant even make a case that he was drafted too high. His career is exactly what you want from a guy you draft ninth overall.

you and I specifically have already had this argument about Noah and at the time I told you what I would rather have seen. I don't need to re-type it all. He can pass, sure...but nobody is forced to guard the guy. Runs the floor, yes...plays good defense-well, he gets beat by bigger centers but I'll sorta give you that. Noah cannot shoot better than most centers. That is a poor statement.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:11 pm 

and I will say this...it's certainly not his fault that the team hasn't completely taken apart that garbage shot of his and brought in a Buzz Braman type guy to completely change his form in the offseason. It's one thing for Donovan to leave his shot alone, quite another thing for a professional team.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:14 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
you and I specifically have already had this argument about Noah and at the time I told you what I would rather have seen. I don't need to re-type it all. He can pass, sure...but nobody is forced to guard the guy. Runs the floor, yes...plays good defense-well, he gets beat by bigger centers but I'll sorta give you that. Noah cannot shoot better than most centers. That is a poor statement.

So you cant name one guy you would rather have? OK, that makes sense, because I cant either.

Noah doesnt get beat by bigger centers. He plays Bynum very well. He gets beat by Dwight Howard. So does everybody in the league. He doesnt get beat by anyone else routinely.

Name the centers you think shoot better than Noah from 15 feet. Bynum and Horford are easy. After that it gets a bit more difficult.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:15 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
You two still goin' at it, huh.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:15 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
and I will say this...it's certainly not his fault that the team hasn't completely taken apart that garbage shot of his and brought in a Buzz Braman type guy to completely change his form in the offseason. It's one thing for Donovan to leave his shot alone, quite another thing for a professional team.

Professional teams dont change your form once you get to that level. See Reggie Miller, Shawn Marion, Shaq, etc.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:27 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

So you cant name one guy you would rather have? OK, that makes sense, because I cant either.

Noah doesnt get beat by bigger centers. He plays Bynum very well. He gets beat by Dwight Howard. So does everybody in the league. He doesnt get beat by anyone else routinely.

Name the centers you think shoot better than Noah from 15 feet. Bynum and Horford are easy. After that it gets a bit more difficult.

Marc Gasol, Spencer Hawes, Joel Anthony, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:29 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Professional teams dont change your form once you get to that level. See Reggie Miller, Shawn Marion, Shaq, etc.

Two of those three guys could shoot! Really? that's your argument? His shot was so bad, you could have doctored it quite a bit. And they did bring in Braman to alter the way Shaq shot! The difference with Shaq was he broke his wrists, so his form was pretty much unalterable.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:31 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Marc Gasol, Spencer Hawes, Joel Anthony, etc.

Marc Gasol yes. Spencer Hawes no. Joel Anthony :lol: :lol: :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:33 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Two of those three guys could shoot! Really? that's your argument? His shot was so bad, you could have doctored it quite a bit. And they did bring in Braman to alter the way Shaq shot! The difference with Shaq was he broke his wrists, so his form was pretty much unalterable.

Take any year you wish from Shaq's career and his FT shot looks the exact same. If they brought in a FT coach, the guy didnt make one bit of difference. I named a great, mediocre, and terrible shooter for a reason. Regardless of your skill level, pro teams very rarely try to change your form. They try to improve within the format that it already is. David Thorpe is an excellent trainer and coach and multiple stars, including Noah use him. He has said this several times.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:38 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Professional teams dont change your form once you get to that level. See Shaq.

Take any year you wish from Shaq's career and his FT shot looks the exact same. If they brought in a FT coach, the guy didnt make one bit of difference. I named a great, mediocre, and terrible shooter for a reason. Regardless of your skill level, pro teams very rarely try to change your form.

so, I prove your point wrong (they tried to fix Shaq's form) and you jump over to the next point. Buzz did have a good impact on Shaq's shooting, but it didn't stick because Shaq had an issue that prevented him physically from being a good shooter. Noah has no physical ailment other than an inability to consistently hit wide open 15'ers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:13 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Professional teams dont change your form once you get to that level. See Shaq.

Take any year you wish from Shaq's career and his FT shot looks the exact same. If they brought in a FT coach, the guy didnt make one bit of difference. I named a great, mediocre, and terrible shooter for a reason. Regardless of your skill level, pro teams very rarely try to change your form.

so, I prove your point wrong (they tried to fix Shaq's form) and you jump over to the next point. Buzz did have a good impact on Shaq's shooting, but it didn't stick because Shaq had an issue that prevented him physically from being a good shooter. Noah has no physical ailment other than an inability to consistently hit wide open 15'ers.

You didnt prove my point wrong. You tried and failed, using one of the worst examples possible.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
redskingreg wrote:
This is starting to feel like it's a page from Dan Bernstein's Guide to Strawman Arguments: You Can Construct One, Too.

Post of the year. I had the distinct displeasure of listening to a good portion of the Official White Sox Apologia Exit Interview today, and it easily ranks with the worst radio they've ever done. The MLB playoffs had better be scintillating, because I'm having nightmare visions of the Bears bye week being filled with intense discussions of what a special thing the White Sox have built and how stupid and racist and antisemitic and downright suburban we all are for not properly appreciating it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:49 pm 

I wanted to go back and listen to the 3:00 hour to make sure I didn't miss anything else that was as egregiously stupid as what I did catch. I couldn't really hear everything once I was locked into posting, y'know. Loud keystrokes!

I guess between all the days of Leery fill-ins and all the days of Sox attendance talk, I just hit a breaking point when it finally culminated in blaming low attendance on racism and antisemitism. I know this show plays fast and loose with insinuations, but to straight-up say something as blatant as "you're just afraid of black people and you probably hate Jews" is one serious accusation of hate, one not even levied on any single person but a metropolis at large, and to do so as baselessly as Jason did was lazy, intellectually dishonest, and irresponsible. I'm sorry, but Jerry Reinsdorf the man himself has built quite a legacy of privatized gains and socialized risks. That's an equation that can add up to "cheap." Colluding against labor is, by definition, cheap. Demanding a stadium/mall financed by taxpayer money is cheap. The White Flag was cheap. Those are his actions; they have nothing to do with his ethnicity or religion. You can cite contemporary Sox payroll figures all you want, but those don't make up for his larger transgressions as a businessman, ones which, as we've seen with the Bacardi at the Park negotiation revelations, seem to keep arising. Chicago fans are well within their rights as consumers to resent him, just as they were with Bill Wirtz, just as Cincinnati fans can with Mike Brown, or the aforementioned Maloofs in Sacramento. That's not a matter of code words, it's a matter of what he's done.

There's no point in being this incendiary without being entertaining. It wasn't funny, and it didn't illuminate anything. It was just angry, mean, desperate sputtering. This is a time when you could use a program director to reel in the hosts (or the talking producer, as the case may be), but the Score doesn't have a program director, they have a cheerleader, and they're all so in the tank for the Sox that they wouldn't make anyone walk anything back anyway.

I did notice that the podcast isn't up, though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
It'd be a lot less galling if Dan didn't so stridently insist on presenting himself as some kind of sports intellectual. You can find this kind of bad-faith argumentation and shameless fan-baiting and irresponsible hate-mongering all over your AM dial on Z-Phil and Boner's Morning Sports Racial Coding Shitshow, or whatever. But this show is different, you see, because it's conversant with David Foster Wallace and Eric B. & Rakim. Give me a fucking break.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:44 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I wanted to go back and listen to the 3:00 hour to make sure I didn't miss anything else that was as egregiously stupid as what I did catch. I couldn't really hear everything once I was locked into posting, y'know. Loud keystrokes!

I guess between all the days of Leery fill-ins and all the days of Sox attendance talk, I just hit a breaking point when it finally culminated in blaming low attendance on racism and antisemitism. I know this show plays fast and loose with insinuations, but to straight-up say something as blatant as "you're just afraid of black people and you probably hate Jews" is one serious accusation of hate, one not even levied on any single person but a metropolis at large, and to do so as baselessly as Jason did was lazy, intellectually dishonest, and irresponsible.

Did Goff actually word it like that because if he did thats one of the dumbest fucking things Ive ever heard of. You guys wonder why the bloom is off the rose as far as him being a "rising star" at the station? Utterances like that are the reason more than anything else. What a fucking idiotic thing to say, way to go Goff you fucking dope.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:07 am 

Transcribed for you.

"Let's be honest. There are a lot of stereotypes at play here. The owner thing is a typical stereotype, and also, the neighborhood thing. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Everybody still thinks there's people runnin' around, shootin' everybody up, and that the Robert Taylor Homes are still there. They aren't there, they haven't been there for a while, and they haven't been there the entire time you've been not going with your dumb ass. I'm tired of everybody jumping around it. . . . You think the owner's cheap because he's Jewish. Stop frontin'. Say what you mean. Say exactly what you mean. All this dancing around, all these buzzwords, the 'neighborhood,' 'the owner's cheap,' nah, screw that."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:31 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I've never heard a Sox fan say he wasn't going to a game because "the owner is cheap." I do think the strike of '94 hit Sox fans harder than most since Reinsdorf was considered to be the main guy behind it and many Sox fans like to fantasize that the 1994 team had the World Series all locked up. It's a lot easier to have such thoughts when a season ends abruptly in August. But anyway, I do know several guys who were far more avid fans prior to that strike.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:32 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
That's mind-numbingly stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:45 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Transcribed for you.

"Let's be honest. There are a lot of stereotypes at play here. The owner thing is a typical stereotype, and also, the neighborhood thing. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Everybody still thinks there's people runnin' around, shootin' everybody up, and that the Robert Taylor Homes are still there. They aren't there, they haven't been there for a while, and they haven't been there the entire time you've been not going with your dumb ass. I'm tired of everybody jumping around it. . . . You think the owner's cheap because he's Jewish. Stop frontin'. Say what you mean. Say exactly what you mean. All this dancing around, all these buzzwords, the 'neighborhood,' 'the owner's cheap,' nah, screw that."

All 3 of the guys specifically mentioned people being scared of the "scary blacks", using those words. They weren't even dancing around it. Pretty ignorant stuff.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:53 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Transcribed for you.

All 3 of the guys specifically mentioned people being scared of the "scary blacks", using those words. They weren't even dancing around it. Pretty ignorant stuff.

But if you listen to bernstein everyday, it's pretty clear he's afraid of "scary blacks".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next