It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:08 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
In the wake of Chris Williams getting shitcanned, perhaps we shall look back in depth at how fucking terrible the Bears are at drafting. God damn, look at 2007:

Quote:
Chicago Bears 2007 NFL Draft selections
Greg Olsen - Dan Bazuin - Garrett Wolfe - Michael Okwo - Josh Beekman - Kevin Payne - Corey Graham - Trumaine McBride - Aaron Brant

Olsen was okay. Dan Bazuin never played in the NFL. Wolfe was a decent piece for a few years, out of the league now. Michael Okwo sucked. Josh Beekman really sucked, would have been out of the league since 2010 but I guess he played a game with the Jags this year? May as well have stayed out. Kevin Payne sucked, out of the league since 2009. Corey Graham was okay. I have no memories of Trumaine McBride.

Quote:
Chicago Bears 2008 NFL Draft selections
Chris Williams - Matt Forté - Earl Bennett - Marcus Harrison - Craig Steltz - Zack Bowman - Kellen Davis - Ervin Baldwin - Chester Adams - Joey LaRocque - Kirk Barton - Marcus Monk

I guess this one isn't so bad if you're willing to discount drafting 14th overall and using it on an offensive lineman who was injured before he was drafted and was never not hurt or bad.

Quote:
Chicago Bears 2009 NFL Draft selections
Jarron Gilbert - Juaquin Iglesias - D. J. Moore - Henry Melton - Marcus Freeman - Johnny Knox - Al Afalava - Lance Louis - Derek Kinder

hahaha Al Afalava. Was Iglesias the guy who jumped out of the pool? Did he even play in a single game for us? Gilbert was the first pick the Bears had because of the Cutler trade and he lasted four games with the Bears.

Quote:
Chicago Bears 2010 NFL Draft selections
Major Wright - Corey Wootton - Joshua Moore - Dan LeFevour - J'Marcus Webb - Harvey Unga (Supp.)

J'Marcus Webb, that is all. And ah, memories of LeFevour Fever.

There was some talk about how Ray Lewis is better than Dick Butkus. I expect this conversation to be continued ad nauseam. "I never saw Dick Butkus play, but he was small, white, and bit people" will launch a thousand dumb calls.

Huge breakthrough with the NHL lockout. Not long after a focus group leaked that America in 2012 isn't too hot on heartless plutocrats and their sniveling lawyers, the owners put forth a proposal that splits revenues 50-50, settles for unrestricted free agency at 8 or 28, and allows one year of a sky-high salary cap so that rich teams can get their houses in order before the ceiling crashes down on everyone (and everyone's about to get killed hard on frontloaded longtermers if this passes). But who cares when the Bulls played the Bucks in a preseason game and ostensibly ran a ton of stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I thought it was a defensive end or something like that who jumped out of the pool.

Wooten and Wright have a chance to validate the 2010 draft to a degree.

Pretty terrible few year run at drafting right there though.

I believe IB similarly broke down the last 5-6 drafts that Emery was prominently involved in though and they werent much better than that list.

I hope they dont go into a Lewis vs Butkus argument. I highly doubt either one of them know basically anything about Butkus, especially Bernstein. They probably dont even have a good understanding of Ray Lewis's career.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:14 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Gilbert was the pool guy. Iglesias was the Oklahoma receiver than Bernstein liked a lot.

Regardless of J'Webb, the 2010 draft isn't looking awful. Major Wright is at least competent and Wooten is progressing nicely.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:25 am 

FavreFan wrote:
I hope they dont go into a Lewis vs Butkus argument. I highly doubt either one of them know basically anything about Butkus, especially Bernstein. They probably dont even have a good understanding of Ray Lewis's career.

Well, Hub was like "guys, heh heh, I mean, IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII don't know, you guys, heh heh heh, I mean Dick Butkus was voted the best defensive player of the last 75 years, teehee" and then Herb threw his hat and then 15 minutes were devoted to the fact that Herb threw his hat. We didn't even have time to read statistics or get into all the agonizing details of why Ray Lewis is better. We just dwelled on the thrown hat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Well, Hub was like "guys, heh heh, I mean, IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII don't know, you guys, heh heh heh, I mean Dick Butkus was voted the best defensive player of the last 75 years, teehee" and then Herb threw his hat and then 15 minutes were devoted to the fact that Herb threw his hat. We didn't even have time to read statistics or get into all the agonizing details of why Ray Lewis is better. We just dwelled on the thrown hat.

I love that Hub picked the Chiefs to win the Super Bowl. That smug bastard of course walks it back every time it's mentioned, but we didn't forget Hub.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:37 am 

uofiguy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I love that Hub picked the Chiefs to win the Super Bowl. That smug bastard of course walks it back every time it's mentioned, but we didn't forget Hub.

The defense of the pick is ridiculous also. "Well I was trying to pick someone different and not do chalk picks and find an interesting darkhorse."

Ok yeah, I usually follow the same pattern when I do NBA predictions but like Dave said, the NBA version of that would be picking the Bobcats. I don't know anybody else who thought the Chiefs ceiling was higher than catching some breaks and winning the worst division in the nfl with an 8-8 record. They have a terrible roster. They have Jamal Charles and a couple defensive standouts who can't stay on the field, and pretty much every other position on the roster is a significant weakness. It was literally the dumbest serious prediction I've heard in sports that I can remember.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
There aren't any superstars in there, but they also traded away some of their most valuable picks for Jake Cutler. There are some decent mid-level players, and the 2012 Bears, especially on defense, is pretty much entirety a creation of Angelo (to the extent that some players predate Angelo, he's been responsible for keeping them, which in some cases, like Lance Briggs, has been no mean feat).

On the other hand, pull up the past few drafts for Kansas City. The Chiefs are the worst team in the NFL (or at least close), and the Bears just hired their head scout to run football operations. Weeeeeeee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:50 pm 

Jake Cutler is an unintentional, perhaps Freudian, slip.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Irish Boy wrote:
There aren't any superstars in there, but they also traded away some of their most valuable picks for Jake Cutler. There are some decent mid-level players, and the 2012 Bears, especially on defense, is pretty much entirety a creation of Angelo (to the extent that some players predate Angelo, he's been responsible for keeping them, which in some cases, like Lance Briggs, has been no mean feat).

On the other hand, pull up the past few drafts for Kansas City. The Chiefs are the worst team in the NFL (or at least close), and the Bears just hired their head scout to run football operations. Weeeeeeee

Speaking of the Chiefs, how does Hub Arkush's Super Bowl pick look? :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:08 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Curious Hair wrote:
then Herb threw his hat and then 15 minutes were devoted to the fact that Herb threw his hat. We didn't even have time to read statistics or get into all the agonizing details of why Ray Lewis is better. We just dwelled on the thrown hat.

Butkus was considerably taller, bigger, and most likely faster than Lewis considering that Butkus' speed was considered freakish for the position and Lewis has never been known for his speed.

No way Butkus was a better athlete than Lewis. Ridiculous. :scratch:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Irish Boy wrote:

He's got a few late-round hits (Kroy Biermann, Jamaal Charles, Brandon Carr) but there are way too many 1st- and 2nd-round busts: Williamses DeAngelo and Jimmy, Jamaal Anderson, Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson.

Fun fact: he was director of scouting in Atlanta when the Falcons drafted Frank Omiyale!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:12 pm 

Not the Lewis and Butkus crap again.

I have a real hard time believing that Butkus was faster than Lewis.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
RFDC wrote:

Because Ray Lewis is black and yells alot?

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:16 pm 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

He's got a few late-round hits (Kroy Biermann, Jamaal Charles, Brandon Carr) but there are way too many 1st- and 2nd-round busts: Williamses DeAngelo and Jimmy, Jamaal Anderson, Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson.

Fun fact: he was director of scouting in Atlanta when the Falcons drafted Frank Omiyale!

I'm not sure whether he gets credit for Charles or not. Last time I went through this exercise I couldn't figure out to what extent he was responsible for that draft.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:17 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
RFDC wrote:

I wouldn't bet my life on it but it seems reasonable that the fastest LB of the 1960s would run a 4.6 or so.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:17 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Of course not, because he murdered someone. We all know murderers are fast as hell.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
RFDC wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Of course not, because he murdered someone. We all know murderers are fast as hell.

Yeah not many people realize that John Wayne Gacy ran a 4.3 40.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:20 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I wouldn't bet my life on it but it seems reasonable that the fastest LB of the 1960s would run a 4.6 or so.

Well obviously I did not personally watch Butkus play. But when you see the old highlights of him, speed is not what jumps off the screen. No doubt he a vicious, strong, intense LB, but I just don't see him running faster than Lewis.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
When In doubt, I always pick the black guy in these situations

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:22 pm 

RFDC wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Well obviously I did not personally watch Butkus play. But when you see the old highlights of him, speed is not what jumps off the screen. No doubt he a vicious, strong, intense LB, but I just don't see him running faster than Lewis.

Bet he would if Lewis had a knife in his hand.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:24 pm 

Almost every description of Butkus mentions first and foremost his speed and ability to cover sideline-to-sideline along with his ferocity.

He was Ray Lewis in Brian Urlacher's body.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Irish Boy wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:

I'm not sure whether he gets credit for Charles or not. Last time I went through this exercise I couldn't figure out to what extent he was responsible for that draft.

It's sort of irrelevant. Apart from the occasional late-round find (Michael Boley is another one), the only gems were Matt Ryan and Eric Berry, both of whom were basically no-brainers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:27 pm 

Jerry Angelo drafted Cedric Benson fourth overall hahahahahaha.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:29 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Jerry Angelo drafted Cedric Benson fourth overall hahahahahaha.

Wasn't Tommy Harris pretty much his only good 1st round pick in his entire tenure? Im sure there might be 1 more Im forgetting.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:29 pm 

Almost every description of Butkus mentions first and foremost his speed and ability to cover sideline-to-sideline along with his ferocity.

He was Ray Lewis in Brian Urlacher's body.

That very well maybe. I am not against that and I am definitely not one of those guys who thinks Butkus couldn't play today, etc. No doubt Butkus was one of the greatest of all time.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:31 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:

Urlacher, Briggs and Tillman all predate Angelo. Peppers was a finished product who just happened to be a FA at a time when the Bears were flush with cap space. I'll give Angelo credit for the rest of the group.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:32 pm 

RFDC wrote:
I am definitely not one of those guys who thinks Butkus couldn't play today, etc.

I still think Butkus could play today. Literally. For the Illini.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:32 pm 

RFDC wrote:
I am definitely not one of those guys who thinks Butkus couldn't play today, etc.

I still think Butkus could play today. Literally. For the Illini.

:lol: No doubt

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Here's the Wednesday Game Plan:

TBA: WBBM Newsradio/Bears Radio Network/The SCORE's Zach Zaidman-Bears Starting Practice for Monday vs. Lions
3:30P: "The Second Half"
5P: The SCORE/PFW/Dial Global Sports' Hub Arkush-You've Got NFL Questions? Hub Has Answers

"Scoreboard Updates": Connor McKnight (Live from Carhartt Store-18 S. Wabash)

Terry's "two favorite words", Laurence Holmes, is supposed to follow the guys as always @ 6P. However, if you heard Holmes' nighttime SCORE last night, he's got voice issues. Laurence might be scratched this eve. The voice of the Kane County Cougars, Wayne Randazzo, follows @ 10P with the latenight SCORE until Midnight. "SCORE Overnight" with Les Grobstein & Adam Harris follows until 5A Thursday morning.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Dan railing against the continuing dead-enders in the Armstrong story? Wonder if he read his boy Dan Wetzel's article today. Does he dare attack one of his guys?