It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bernstein the ageist
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Jerry Kramer and Ted Washington are silly comparisons. Compare a guy like Jake Thomas or Jake Long to Jerry Kramer. Jerry Kramer was definitely not more athletic than those guys.

I'd also put JJ Watt's athleticism up against any DE you can find.

Not really. The style of the game has dictated the types of players you have on the respective lines.

I dont know what this means in regards to what I posted. My statements still stand.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
JORR, would you disagree that you are also ageist, favoring old over new? You, I, and FavreFan have had some NBA discussions about this stuff before.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:37 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
A lot of what's being said in this thread sounds like one belief is that widespread athletic talent in a sport cannot evolve over time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
JORR, would you disagree that you are also ageist, favoring old over new? You, I, and FavreFan have had some NBA discussions about this stuff before.

I don't believe that to be the case. I never attempt to diminish the great players of today. It seems to me that it's usually some younger guy attempting to diminish the greats of the past.

To RFDC's question, yes, the style of play in the NBA has changed, but it certainly isn't more athletic, as illustrated by the lower scores and lower shooting percentages.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Admin

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
A lot of what's being said in this thread sounds like one belief is that widespread athletic talent in a sport cannot evolve over time.

And I'm always flabbergasted at how people can go through years of school without understanding evolution.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:53 am 

Shut up. Golf isn't even a sport.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:56 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

And I'm always flabbergasted at how people can go through years of school without understanding evolution.

I also hate Catholics.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:56 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I don't believe that to be the case. I never attempt to diminish the great players of today. It seems to me that it's usually some younger guy attempting to diminish the greats of the past.

To RFDC's question, yes, the style of play in the NBA has changed, but it certainly isn't more athletic, as illustrated by the lower scores and lower shooting percentages.

The shooting percentages are much higher today actually.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:57 am 

spanky wrote:

Seems you have a little angst today Spanky, everything ok?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:59 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
spanky wrote:

I'm cool.

That other thread taught me that it was ok to hate Ugie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

No, they aren't. Last season the league shot .448. In '76-'77 the league shot .465.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:25 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

No, they aren't. Last season the league shot .448. In '76-'77 the league shot .465.

I guess I was thinking of the 1960's. Still, I dont know that there is a correlation between athleticism and FG% as a collective. There certainly is none with individuals.

Besides, we have had this discussion before, as Kid pointed out. I think you are misframing it by saying people dont understand evolution. It's not an evolution issue. Besides the diet/drugs/training advantage that today's athletes have, there's also a much larger talent pool to draw from. Of course a guy like Sam Jones could hang with Dwyane Wade. There's just a lot more Wades today than there were Sams back then.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I'm wondering how many dunks there were in 76-77 versus the past year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:51 pm 

spanky wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
spanky wrote:

I'm cool.

Pfffttt....old news

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
FavreFan wrote:
Besides, we have had this discussion before, as Kid pointed out. I think you are misframing it by saying people dont understand evolution. It's not an evolution issue. Besides the diet/drugs/training advantage that today's athletes have, there's also a much larger talent pool to draw from. Of course a guy like Sam Jones could hang with Dwyane Wade. There's just a lot more Wades today than there were Sams back then.

The problem is the people who think Babe Ruth wouldn't be a star today, Walter Johnson didn't throw 97mph, and Dick Butkus was too slow to play in today's games. Those arguments are just silly. Outliers back then would still be outliers today.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

spanky wrote:

That's a given.

Seriously though; it seems like there are two trains of thought constantly contradicting one another in this thread.

You either have the notion that athletes are uniformly better now than they were in the past, thus suggesting that today's individual players are better than superstars from yesteryear, or the notion that superstars in the past were better than superstars in modern day. You can't have both.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
spanky wrote:

That's a given.

Seriously though; it seems like there are two trains of thought constantly contradicting one another in this thread.

You either have the notion that athletes are uniformly better now than they were in the past, thus suggesting that today's individual players are better than superstars from yesteryear, or the notion that superstars in the past were better than superstars in modern day. You can't have both.

I see most people giving credit to both generations of players.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:13 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

The problem is the people who think Babe Ruth wouldn't be a star today, Walter Johnson didn't throw 97mph, and Dick Butkus was too slow to play in today's games. Those arguments are just silly. Outliers back then would still be outliers today.

I agree with that. But I think the mean is higher today than it was back then, for reasons I explained. When it comes to sports, I've noticed people tend to have sillier opinions on the generational gap of athletes than in just about any other area or subject.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:16 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I agree with that. But I think the mean is higher today than it was back then, for reasons I explained. When it comes to sports, I've noticed people tend to have sillier opinions on the generational gap of athletes than in just about any other area or subject.

That Shakespeare couldnt hold Sorkin's jock.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:20 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Obama isn't even a spoke on FDR's wheelchair

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:21 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Yeah but that's only because Sorkin actually writes his own stuff. Sorkin writes a ton of stuff.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I admit to being ageist when it comes to the NBA. My NBA heyday is the 90s, so I prefer that decade over anything that came before it and almost anything after.

Last night I watched the Seattle Sonics vs. Golden State Warriors from 1992 thinking, "Shawn Kemp is the greatest athlete I've ever seen." I stand by that.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:26 pm 

Issac Newton was a bum. Guy couldnt even pick apples himself, had to wait for gravity to bring them to him. Stephen Hawking is a dude, even in his wheelchair. Newton was white, tiny and slow. Hawking drives around in a motorized chair!! He rolls a 4.2 40!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Someone sort of said it I think but it seems to me you cannot compare across eras as every seems to want to do so easy. There must be some sort of weighting as in statistics. Do you really think that Butkus or any of the other examples wouldn't have used all of the new tools available to the new guys? He likely would have been just as "cut", juiced or whatever else these new guys are. I would guess Karl Malone would also look a little different playing these days even though that wasn't so long ago. Until someone can figure out the cross-era weight its just mental masturbation.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:35 pm 

I admit to being ageist when it comes to the NBA. My NBA heyday is the 90s, so I prefer that decade over anything that came before it and almost anything after.

Last night I watched the Seattle Sonics vs. Golden State Warriors from 1992 thinking, "Shawn Kemp is the greatest athlete I've ever seen." I stand by that.

He sure was, to be able to play that many games and have that much sex. I will tip my cap to him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:41 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Sorkin actually writes his own stuff.

And then recycles it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Butkus discussions = fallacies on parade.

1. The "Fuck You, Chicago!" Fallacy: [athlete/coach/team/tradition] that Chicago fans enjoy is stupid, pointless, and overrated and must be attacked at every turn for the good of the city.

Ex. LeBron James is better at every aspect of playing basketball than Michael Jordan ever was, and if you disagree, you're basketball stupid.

2. The Sports Evolution Fallacy: sports are better now thanks to various rule changes (such as the shot clock, or tighter illegal-contact penalties) that make old players obsolete; however, modern players would flourish under the old rules.

Ex. If Dick Butkus traveled forward in time and was forced to cover tight ends over the middle, he would go undrafted. If Ray Lewis traveled backward in time and played by the old rules, his dominance would be so complete that the NFL would have been forced to shut down.

3. The Player Evolution Fallacy: all players who play now are better than all players who used to play, thanks primarily to improvements in nutrition and training; however, said improvements would have no impact on past players.

Ex. If Sam Jones could travel forward in time and experience the benefits of personal trainers and hyperbaric chambers, he wouldn't even be drafted, but if Dwyane Wade played his entire career in Chuck Taylors and subsisted on a diet of cheeseburgers and Lucky Strikes, he would still be a magnificent athletic specimen.

4. The Homoerotic Fallacy: self-explanatory.

Ex. Have you seen tapes of George Mikan? He's just a big slow white dork. Then you watch last year's Finals, and LeBron is stomping around the court with this comic book superhero body. He's got muscles on top of muscles. He's just...so...big.

5. The Fun With Racial Coding Fallacy: black guys are better than white guys at everything, because we say so.

Ex. Dick Butkus was a hulking, freakishly athletic white guy. Ray Lewis is a hulking, freakishly athletic black guy. Ergo, Ray Lewis is better.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:44 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Butkus discussions = fallacies on parade.

1. The "Fuck You, Chicago!" Fallacy: [athlete/coach/team/tradition] that Chicago fans enjoy is stupid, pointless, and overrated and must be attacked at every turn for the good of the city.

Ex. LeBron James is better at every aspect of playing basketball than Michael Jordan ever was, and if you disagree, you're basketball stupid.

2. The Sports Evolution Fallacy: sports are better now thanks to various rule changes (such as the shot clock, or tighter illegal-contact penalties) that make old players obsolete; however, modern players would flourish under the old rules.

Ex. If Dick Butkus traveled forward in time and was forced to cover tight ends over the middle, he would go undrafted. If Ray Lewis traveled backward in time and played by the old rules, his dominance would be so complete that the NFL would have been forced to shut down.

3. The Player Evolution Fallacy: all players who play now are better than all players who used to play, thanks primarily to improvements in nutrition and training; however, said improvements would have no impact on past players.

Ex. If Sam Jones could travel forward in time and experience the benefits of personal trainers and hyperbaric chambers, he wouldn't even be drafted, but if Dwyane Wade played his entire career in Chuck Taylors and subsisted on a diet of cheeseburgers and Lucky Strikes, he would still be a magnificent athletic specimen.

4. The Homoerotic Fallacy: self-explanatory.

Ex. Have you seen tapes of George Mikan? He's just a big slow white dork. Then you watch last year's Finals, and LeBron is stomping around the court with this comic book superhero body. He's got muscles on top of muscles. He's just...so...big.

5. The Fun With Racial Coding Fallacy: black guys are better than white guys at everything, because we say so.

Ex. Dick Butkus was a hulking, freakishly athletic white guy. Ray Lewis is a hulking, freakishly athletic black guy. Ergo, Ray Lewis is better.

You make me hot with your B&B stuff. You run a ton of it.