It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Popped up again during Friday's transition.
"Just catch the ball and don't hit women". Really Dan. I personally thought Marshall was quite candid with his comments during the Mac and Spiegs interview -- it also seemed somewhat cathartic for the hosts, also.
Mac and Spiegs seem interested in Bernsie's take, and he responds quite coldly.
I harken back to yesterday's disagreement with a caller on the Armstrong issue. All the caller was trying to point out was that Dan appeared to call out those cancer patients who believed in Lance. It's safe to say that they were duped, but Bernsie seems upset by their "perceived" ignorance.
Dan's correct to point out that Lance is a fraud -- but not that has become crystal clear. He might have believed that for a while but others waited for more proof. Dan's charity work with children's oncology groups shows his passion for those stricken with cancer, but his aloof-sounding commentary -- at times -- can be perceived as quite damaging and hurtful to others.
Still a loyal listener, but somewhat disappointed -- again -- with Dan's behavior -- for what it's worth (probably nothing).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Yeah you could tell that Mac was ready to pack it up after Bernsies comment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
It's not like this could have been the first time an athlete or celeb is accused of something for cash.

I hope he is more understanding with his personal acquaintances.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Simply put, Bernstein is a piece of crap who only thinks about himself. The guy is impossible to listen to now. While once his arrogant, know-it-all attitude was slightly amusing because it seemed to be somewhat of an act, it's now insufferable because it's more prevalent and clearly not an act. And Boers being a co-host with no original thought, fake sources, and always in agreement with Danny, is completely useless unless a "by cracky" or a bunch of stuttering and repeating of one-self is needed to waste air time. Total shit show IMO.

Once 1:20pm comes around, it's PTFB time for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:08 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Additionally, I have really grown tired of him trying to ultra dissect every callers question and point. This is rocket science. People call in have a thought and you react Mr Duke education. If you don't want dumb callers put your producers to work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Polish Prince
Even when Mac asked them if they watched the SF/Seattle game they answered like aholes. Within seconds of tranny Mac sounded like he just wanted to get the hell out of there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
BeaverVanpelt wrote:
Even when Mac asked them if they watched the SF/Seattle game they answered like aholes. Within seconds of tranny Mac sounded like he just wanted to get the hell out of there.

Bernstein doesn't want to lower himself down as one who watches a meatball sport like football, unless it's the Bears. And with one of his thousands of hated nemesis being the coach in Jim Harbaugh, with two "bad" quarterbacks playing, and a meatball concept of defense being the predominant aspect of the game, of course he wouldn't watch - or admit to it. The guy is a poser. He should leave town and find a job as a news anchor somewhere (not in Chicago).

Boers on the other hand doesn't watch anything other than baseball. I'm convinced he doesn't even watch the Bears at times - just reads/watches the post-game analysis/highlights.

These two goofs are good for nothing more than berating callers, acting intellectually superior - even though Bernstein would quiver when presented with a caller that actually is intelligent and not screened by the producer to act as the meatball - and repeating talking points, and making noises (in Terry's case).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
BeaverVanpelt wrote:

That was the bad kind of awkward and uncomfortable radio. Dan and Matt did a good interview, they bring it up in transition and those two fucking clowns just absolutely shit all over it and they didn't even just shit on it and change the subject, no, they went on and on and continued to belittle the interview and by extension the interviewers. The dead air and silence after that from Mac and Meat was very telling....and I'm not shocked in the least the B&B, even being at a remote, didn't pick up on it. And the grinding through the football game talk was brutal, fuck Dan and Terry, couple of douchebags. Painful stuff, they can't even just treat transition like it was meant to be treated, just light hearted back and forth some topical stuff, funny and then move on. No, they can't even do that, they have to be super douchebagy and shit all over everything.

As was stated previously, Mac just needs to give up trying to be friends or whatever with Terry and finally realize (I think he has already, a long time ago) that BernSTINE is a douche. Kill the transition, it must happen. And put Mac on in the afternoons.

That transition from today is really a microcosm of the whole show and what it has become starting with the decline 3 or so years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
This is how far the show has fallen for me: I unfollowed Dan Bernstein on the Twitter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Terry's Peeps wrote:
This is how far the show has fallen for me: I unfollowed Dan Bernstein on the Twitter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Maybe there is a Mac power play about to come? I have no doubt he would easily win any power struggle.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
IMO, Terry is worse than Dan. Dan is obviously annoying and self-righteous, but Terry has no loyalty, no conviction, and no balls. I can't stomach people like Boers. Bernstein could deny the Holocaust, and Boers would nod right along with no remorse or thoughts of his own. I don't think Bernstein is as smart as some do, but at least he has some room to take jabs at interviews or other shows due to the fact that he is talented in some areas. Boers taking jabs is a fucking joke, and the worst part is that he knows it. This is what makes him so spineless. The guy is a no-talent hack parrot. Fuck him.

And when is Bernstein going to quit the act and join the Food Network?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggars
Terry's Peeps wrote:

I could only handle a few days of him on twitter. Same with Goff. The incessant tweeting was beyond annoying.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
leashyourkids wrote:
And when is Bernstein going to quit the act and join the Food Network?

Bring it on, bitch! I cook a ton of stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:49 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
IMO, Terry is worse than Dan. Dan is obviously annoying and self-righteous, but Terry has no loyalty, no conviction, and no balls. I can't stomach people like Boers. Bernstein could deny the Holocaust, and Boers would nod right along with no remorse or thoughts of his own. I don't think Bernstein is as smart as some do, but at least he has some room to take jabs at interviews or other shows due to the fact that he is talented in some areas. Boers taking jabs is a fucking joke, and the worst part is that he knows it. This is what makes him so spineless. The guy is a no-talent hack parrot. Fuck him.

I agree.

Look: Berstein has his flaws. He can be incredibly fucking irritating. But the worst thing about it is, if he just had someone to rein him in, it could be managed. The thing is, Berstein is really talented. He's amusing, and he does the radio basics very well (ie, he speaks well, he reads well, he's well-informed). He just has this tendency to be a douche, and it's utterly unchecked by his partner. It'd be one thing if Boers brought a lot to the table besides, but he basically doesn't. He has "by cracky," and that's about it.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:54 am 

This is the risk of investing time in both programs. Both Mac and Berns can both be quite strong with their opinions and equally dismissive to thoughts that are contrary to their positions. Many a time, Mac has been quite churlish with his partner on topics like Cutler, believing their opinions are actually facts. Terry doesn't appear to be quite as objectionable to this behavior than Spiegs -- I can sense Matt's frstuatrations when Mac goes into his "Kevin Bacon wasn't in 'Footloose' ee aw. ee aw" mode.
I still tune in quite regularly to both shows, but I also understand there will be times that I have to PTFB because either Mac's or Berns' behavior becomes too aggrevating of a listen.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:57 am 

Also, Barry and Rosie are entertaining pairings with Berns -- because both of them will challenge Dan with his "theories". In those cases, Dan never appears to take the jabs personally. I just don't believe that would fly with Mac -- see Jason Goff.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Did anybody catch when Dan said to a caller whoa we certinaly don't want to offend any sponsors or anything? I understand his point, but it led me to believe that maybe his convictions aren't that strong.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:00 am 
Site Admin

pittmike wrote:
Maybe there is a Mac power play about to come? I have no doubt he would easily win any power struggle.

I would take you up on that bet pitt. Perhaps we can get Chus to set some odds.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Spaulding wrote:
Did anybody catch when Dan said to a caller whoa we certinaly don't want to offend any sponsors or anything? I understand his point, but it led me to believe that maybe his convictions aren't that strong.

They aren't. Just look at his position on attendance of White Sox games vs what he typically says about high ticket prices. Bernstein tries to come off as many things - a man of convictions, a pseudo-intellectual progressive, an independent thinker.... But at the end of the day, he will bow to his corporate overlords just like anybody else.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Seacrest wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Why would you give the edge to Bernstein?

leashyourkids wrote:
They aren't. Just look at his position on attendance of White Sox games vs what he typically says about high ticket prices. Bernstein tries to come off as many things - a man of convictions, a pseudo-intellectual progressive, an independent thinker.... But at the end of the day, he will bow to his corporate overlords just like anybody else.

Which I get you have to do sometimes, but then you can't act like...like he does.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:49 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

This.

Plus the fact that Dan B is younger than Dan M and has a longer shelf life left in theory. It's just a gut feeling that I hope is wrong.

Bernsy has no real convictions other than his own narcissism. We can argue all day about decisions Mac has made in the past and the wisdom of them, but he has stood for certain things and lost jobs because of it.

Bernsy is the Grover Dill of Chicago sportsradio.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Seacrest wrote:
pittmike wrote:

This is Beardown's area of expertise.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:00 am 
Site Admin

Gambling is Beardown's expertise?

I thought he, chas and Q specialized in conspiracy theories and tin foil hats.

Last edited by Seacrest on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:05 am 

the most nauseating thing about bernstein is that he can't seem to make up his mind whether he's a grandstander or a cynic. he has admitted to me that he is a meatball bears fan, though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:06 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Spaulding wrote:

Yeah, it was when some guy called in to back him up on the Lance Armstrong thing, except the caller (correctly) extrapolated the foolishness to buying a Chevrolet because Dan Hampton endorses them. I'm no dummy and neither is Dan; we all understand that you don't piss off the sponsors, but the panic in his voice when the guy mentioned Chevy and Hampton made one wonder how much Lance talk we would have heard over the years if Nike had placed sizable buys with CBS.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:29 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Gambling is Beardown's expertise?

I thought he, chas and Q specialized in conspiracy theories and tin foil hats.

Beardown's area of expertise is all of the behind the scenes stuff at the Score, mainly the war (real or imaginary) between Mac's camp and Bernsie's camp. I am merely a spectator, who desires to listen to good radio.

Chaspoopcap is definitely the king of conspiracy theories.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:33 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Chus wrote:
Chaspoopcap

GLOVES ARE OFF NOW BOYS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:45 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Chus wrote:
Chaspoopcap

GLOVES ARE OFF NOW BOYS

They have been off for some time now.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
MattInTheCrown wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I agree.

Look: Berstein has his flaws. He can be incredibly fucking irritating. But the worst thing about it is, if he just had someone to rein him in, it could be managed. The thing is, Berstein is really talented. He's amusing, and he does the radio basics very well (ie, he speaks well, he reads well, he's well-informed). He just has this tendency to be a douche, and it's utterly unchecked by his partner. It'd be one thing if Boers brought a lot to the table besides, but he basically doesn't. He has "by cracky," and that's about it.

I disagree. He is not well informed. He often struggles to know what your average sports fan already knows. Ty Willingham being 8-0 a few years back for example. I dont care at all about college football, but around here any casual sports fan would remember that. He doesnt really know anything about the entire NFL outside of the Bears, as evidenced by him agreeing with Terry that Baltimore's defense is in a top 5 discussion(in reality it will probably finish in the bottom 10), and he is woefully underprepared when dissecting upcoming teams, and in the case of the Jags game, even bragged about his ignorance of their team.

He also has an extremely annoying tendency of reading 1500 word columns word for word on the air. Thats not doing the radio basics very well. Its annoying as fuck and makes people want to tune out.

Mac does the radio basics way better, even if he speaks slightly worse than Bernsie. He understands what people care about and what they dont, and with a few exceptions, he usually tries to stick to the stuff people cares about. He knows that your average chicago sports fan doesn't give a shit about PSU or Lance Armstrong. Dan probably knows that too but being a sanctimonious dick is more important than pleasing his audience. Part of these flaws are what you correctly labeled as being an irritating douche, part of them are not. I disagree that the right partner would alieviate most of these flaws of Bernsie's though. I cant envision a day when he comes off as anything other than a wannbe intellectual(he's not even intelligent enough to be called a pseudo-intellectual), smug, underinformed asshole. And he's not nearly as clever or funny as you and him think he is.

To rock my soul