It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:46 am 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
See Hawg, the smugness never bothered me. Bernstein was always smug, but back in the day he was more self-deprecating. Now it seems he believes he's as smart as the image he tries to project of himself.

I think it is more that Bernstien used to be the voice crying out in the wilderness back then. He was the Frazier Crane walking in to Cheers and it made it funny that, even though he might be correct, the mouthbreathers would call him an annoying little shit. Now, the stations character is annoying little shits and Dan is just one of the many.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
How about that hug?

I wish I could quit you...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Listening to the show now drives me strangle myself with a belt and crack one off.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
good dolphin wrote:
See Hawg, the smugness never bothered me. Bernstein was always smug, but back in the day he was more self-deprecating. Now it seems he believes he's as smart as the image he tries to project of himself.

I think it is more that Bernstien used to be the voice crying out in the wilderness back then. He was the Frazier Crane walking in to Cheers and it made it funny that, even though he might be correct, the mouthbreathers would call him an annoying little shit. Now, the stations character is annoying little shits and Dan is just one of the many.

Also true.

Admittedly, Berns was the first to call out many of the athletes who are now largely reviled. And he wastes no time reminding everyone of that.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:52 am 

Off the reservation a bit, but KS, I think you should start flirting with Ivan. I know you like handsome black guys (myself, Kamps) and I would definitely say that Ivan falls in that category.

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:56 am 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
The "expertise" thing is a red herring. It's sports radio, no one tunes in for expertise. I do care that they say indefensibly dumb and completely unsubstantiated things about who's a stud and who's a bum, and then scream at people who have the temerity to think that Jay Cutler isn't superawesomex10000. I care that they do Very Important Radio anytime a Penn State trustee sneezes in public and Very Corporate Radio whenever Uncle Jerry doesn't like his attendance numbers. I care that they spent an entire show laughing at Brett Favre getting injured but won't rest until every person on the planet accepts LeBron James as their personal lord and savior. You could get past all this stuff because they'd also go on long and goofy tangents, but the ratio of self-righteous screaming : silly banter has been completely out of whack for close to eighteen months now.

Between the manufactured outrage, the meatball-baiting, the insulting of callers, the bad-faith arguments, and the sneering derision for the listener, the only thing separating this current iteration of Dan Bernstein from Colin Cowherd is a Duke vocabulary.

They think they are doing the sports nerd, thinking fans show when in reality they are not. If you have ever listened to Sirius NFL radio talking about football in June, THAT is sports nerd radio. It simply blows anything B and B do out of the water. So if they are not truely the show they think they are, I am with Peeps, go back to TB Diddler's radio. That was fun while still being intelligent/iconoclastic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:13 pm 

Keeping Score wrote:
Off the reservation a bit, but KS, I think you should start flirting with Ivan. I know you like handsome black guys (myself, Kamps) and I would definitely say that Ivan falls in that category.

Ivan is too old for me. :wink:

You're legal now. It's cool...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Dave In Champaign wrote:
The bailout theory is ironic, given that Goff doesn't know dick-all about the NFL either.

Is it really necessary to be knowledgable of sports to bail out Terry? All he has to do is speak into a microphone without stuttering, wheezing, or falling asleep. The bar is set pretty low.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
for my b&b credentials, i too started getting into the show circa 2001.... that's when i got into the bears wholesale and got familiar with the show for the ritalin diddlin and country fiddlin era... m-jeff and the asslicking society, paul edinger stuff, etc. by 02 i had a job where i could listen to the radio, so having them on at 8-12/10-2 was part of the normal workday.

if i had to put a finger on it now, i'd say that it's a combination of terry aging / mailing it in more, and dan getting better at radio. when i stop and analyze what i'm listening to, it's obvious to me that dan has gotten really really good at doing radio... he's crisp, he's polished, and it's obvious that he's put a lot of effort into the craft of doing radio.... whereas years ago the emphasis was on how bad and goofy and awful and UNPROFESSIONAL their show was.... that was part of the joke that you were in on, as they were an outpost of whateveryoucalltheirshow in a day of the score's "normal" programming.

do you remember terry's old/ish buzz-term FOTS, aka face of the station? with mcneil down the dial and NORT being insulted at anything below the millions he wanted, dan inherited the role of "the guy" at the station.... and i think that drove him to try and take his job more seriously because, like terry kidded him, they became the "flagship" brand of the station. i think that's where the show changed and the desire to have more "hard-hitting" analysis came.

i've read people's theories on here that dan wishes he was out there making a difference in other fields and therefore that's why he's gone to crusading about penn state / CTE / other things, cuz he's not a doctor or a lawyer or a scientist/inventor out there making a direct impact on people's lives.... and welp, if you take into consideration the aforementioned FOTS stuff, it's almost like dan took terry's ribbing to heart and said "hey, i can go out there and make a difference" and he got on charity boards, soapboxes, etc etc.

so like other people have said, it's a different show in a sense.... if i'm not mistaken, afternoon drive is the big market in sportstalk (as we know mac would love to be back there "doing what [he does], getting people home") and i think the changes in the show come from it changing from being that little goofy morning/midday show to being THE SCORE'S LONGEST RUNNING SHOW WITH THE WHOLE STATION'S FLAGSHIP SEGMENT WHO YOU CRAPPIN , which i know is a HFC holdover, but still.... the show was bound to change when it outlasted everything else on the station and therefore, almost by default, became the station's flagship. and that's what we're experiencing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:05 pm 

That makes a lot of sense Sini.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:26 pm 

Words I never expect to hear ever again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:30 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

Words I never expect to hear ever again.

Probably shouldn't have the first time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:32 pm 

Can someone give a quick translation, please?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:33 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Can someone give a quick translation, please?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:36 pm 

Not dumb. You're just wordy as all hell. Lot's of "um, like, ya know" and shit that you could just leave out in the first place. You aren't talking, you're writing. It just feels like a chore to read sometimes. I like some of your posts, but when I see something like the one above, I check out...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:41 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Not dumb. You're just wordy as all hell. Lot's of "um, like, ya know" and shit that you could just leave out in the first place. You aren't talking, you're writing. It just feels like a chore to read sometimes. I like some of your posts, but when I see something like the one above, I check out...

I would like to give the previous post a +1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:43 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Krazy Ivan wrote:

Message boarding is a weird sort of performance art. It often has more in common with the spoken word than with polished writing. You should write as you want to be read. Sometimes that means "um."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:46 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:

Message boarding is a weird sort of performance art. It often has more in common with the spoken word than with polished writing. You should write as you want to be read. Sometimes that means "um."

No issue with stuff like that every now and then. Just my thing...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Curious Hair wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:48 pm 

i've been posting on messageboards since i started calling up dialup BBSes circa 1994. i'm pretty much used to this.... the concept of expecting people to take on the "chore" of reading writing on a messageboard is why i could be nicknamed "chore boy" without much complaint from the status quo =D

no double intendres were harmed in the typing of this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:51 pm 

groovy...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:20 pm 

There is nothing better than a bad caller being treated like a fool. It's science...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:22 pm 

lol it's mac and jason. stop saying goff.... atlanta's gonna be on a first name basis with him.

i wonder if anyone on this board always said that jason needs a cohost? hrmmmm..... dont know anyone =D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:19 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
sinicalypse wrote:
if i'm not mistaken, afternoon drive is the big market in sportstalk (as we know mac would love to be back there "doing what [he does], getting people home") and i think the changes in the show come from it changing from being that little goofy morning/midday show to being THE SCORE'S LONGEST RUNNING SHOW WITH THE WHOLE STATION'S FLAGSHIP SEGMENT WHO YOU CRAPPIN , which i know is a HFC holdover, but still.... the show was bound to change when it outlasted everything else on the station and therefore, almost by default, became the station's flagship. and that's what we're experiencing.

Bullseye. It isn't meant to be a "flagship" sports talk show, but here we are.