It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:42 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Let's keep beating this Fred Williamson thing into the ground, please. That's what we need to do. Leave it to Attorney David Spada to noisily demand credit for a protracted go-nowhere bit that was better when Arrested Development did it like eight years ago.

Hey, today would be a good day for a Friday Fung about Halloween but NOOOOOOOOOOOO let's just have scintillating conversations about Ohio State with a guy who breathes more heavily than the fabled Julie Swieca callers. You're really nice to your Big Ten.

Vikings lost a game that I totally forgot was on, which means the Bears can stay two games up on the competition if they beat whatever is doing business as the Carolina Panthers these days. I'm not sure if you knew this, but they fired their general manager this week.

Perhaps we can talk more about how the Bulls season doesn't mean anything but it kind of does but it really doesn't because Rose isn't LeBron James so all is meaningless but never so meaningless that future hours cannot be devoted to looking guys up on basketball-reference and reciting their career comparables in between anecdotes about really getting to sit down and talk about a ton of stuff with Flip Saunders.

Fred "the Hammer" Williamson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:56 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
That was a letdown. I was anticipating a bigger announcement than Fred "The Hammer" Williamson. I'm not sure that's going to last, if at all.

Anyway, the guys are on the road today for the "Bud Light 'Who Needs Two?' Tavern Tour" live broadcast at 115 Bourbon Street in Merrionette Park. They'll have Bulls' tickets to a future game in the Bud Light Legends Lounge at United Center as well as tickets to "this Sunday's NFL game". I think we know what that is, but I don't think they can legally say it for obvious reasons.

Unfortunately, there won't be "Friday Fung" come 4P, because that's when Ben Stein, I mean BTN's Gerry DiNardo, talks college football with the guys. Zach Zaidman has one more "Chicago Football Report" leading up to Panthers/Bears at Soldier Field Sunday. Might we also hear Mike from Milwaukee's football picks once he puts down the cold one come 5:30P this afternoon?

The guys might also be all over the White Sox official front office shakeup, too. Might we hear from Steve Stone for reaction?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:57 am 

If I had the opinion of the Bulls that Bernstein does, I would literally give up following the NBA. His whole opinion of the Bulls is that they will be completely irrelevant for the next 5 years. He's probably right too, but you'd think that realization would lead to the logical "Why even care?" stance that most Cub fans had this year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:58 am 

HOLY SHIT YOU'RE BACK

MY REIGN OF SHIT-TALKING COLLEGE SPORTS AND THE WHITE SOX IS OVER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:01 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
HOLY SHIT YOU'RE BACK

MY REIGN OF SHIT-TALKING COLLEGE SPORTS AND THE WHITE SOX IS OVER
The White Sox and college sports do suck though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If I had the opinion of the Bulls that Bernstein does, I would literally give up following the NBA. His whole opinion of the Bulls is that they will be completely irrelevant for the next 5 years. He's probably right too, but you'd think that realization would lead to the logical "Why even care?" stance that most Cub fans had this year.

But that's where the whole "all that matters are championships" thing is silly. Sports are entertainment. I'm not sure exactly what "the Bulls will be irrelevant for the next five years" means. I guess that they likely won't win a championship. So what? If you're a fan, you follow your team. Is it really so hard to crack a beer and watch some tall athletic guys run up and down a court? That doesn't sound too awful to me and a lot of people find it relaxing after a hard day at work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:06 am 

Like I said, the problem with demonstrating your Superior Sports Perspective by saying this Bulls season doesn't matter is that you still have to host a five-hour talk show through the dog days of the sports year. Of course, if someone were to call in on February 13th and interrupt an extended session of NBA navel-gazing with "hey Dan, I thought this Bulls season doesn't matter," you'd just get "It's my show! I can talk about whatever I want to talk about! Don't listen if you don't like it. Shut up. I'm telling Mom."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Like I said, the problem with demonstrating your Superior Sports Perspective by saying this Bulls season doesn't matter is that it doesn't work when you have to host a five-hour talk show through the dog days of the sports year. Of course, if someone were to call in on February 13th and interrupt an extended session of NBA navel-gazing with "hey Dan, I thought this Bulls season doesn't matter," you'd just get "It's my show! I can talk about whatever I want to talk about! Don't listen if you don't like it. Shut up. I'm telling Mom."

That's what I call the bernstein Paradox. Sports are stupid and don't mean anything but I make a living talking about them five hours per day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:11 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

But that's where the whole "all that matters are championships" thing is silly. Sports are entertainment. I'm not sure exactly what "the Bulls will be irrelevant for the next five years" means. I guess that they likely won't win a championship. So what? If you're a fan, you follow your team. Is it really so hard to crack a beer and watch some tall athletic guys run up and down a court? That doesn't sound too awful to me and a lot of people find it relaxing after a hard day at work.
I agree. The majority of my sports fandom is built around rooting for teams that almost assuredly will never win the biggest championship in the sport. That's why I root for the Cubs to win the World Series. I know what it is like to live every day knowing that my favorite team will NEVER win the big title.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Look, the Bulls are going to be the only game in town if the NHL doesn't get a new CBA squared away by the time the Winter Classic is scheduled between the Red Wings & Maple Leafs at Michigan Stadium. Very little is expected from DePaul, Northwestern, Illinois, UIC, NIU & local college basketball in general. What do these 2 goofs, as well as when Laurence Holmes sits in at some point, discuss for 5 hours a day once the Bears are done?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Glad to have you back Brick.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:16 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
That's what I call the bernstein Paradox. Sports are stupid and don't mean anything but I make a living talking about them five hours per day.

Not only that, but of the three local teams he cares about, the Bulls get less audience participation and station promotion than the Bears and Sox, so the tenor of Bulls talk is even more self-indulgent. I mean, there's a funny sort of dramatic irony/contrarian spirit to when he says an underwhelming Bears season doesn't matter when every segment of every show is buttressed by screamy promos about how the Score loves the Bears so much that its fecal matter is shaped like George Halas, or whining that the Sox are bad to draw out a hundred Caller Bobs (or would that be "a hundred Callers Bob"? Get Safire on the phone) and push the whole White Sox Angst gimmick further. When Dan complains that the Bulls are insufficiently competitive and not worth watching, he just...talks more about the Bulls.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
That's why I root for the Cubs to win the World Series. I know what it is like to live every day knowing that my favorite team will NEVER win the big title.

You know, I've had this conversation with friends who are Cub fans and suggested that maybe things won't be as great as they think if the Cubs ever actually do win. Naturally, they dismiss such an idea out of hand and I don't blame them. Of course, you want your team to win. But there's a lot of identity tied up in the that losing. The ideas of resilience and loyalty, etc.

Take the Red Sox as an example. They were the Sisyphean team. Many times they came excruciatingly close only to fail in the most painful ways. Their fans wore this as a badge. There was something epically tragic about being a Red Sox fan. It was an identity. Then they won. And now they're just another team that isn't as good as the Yankees. And the suffering that had mitigated the boorishness of the fans disappeared.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
That's why I root for the Cubs to win the World Series. I know what it is like to live every day knowing that my favorite team will NEVER win the big title.

You know, I've had this conversation with friends who are Cub fans and suggested that maybe things won't be as great as they think if the Cubs ever actually do win. Naturally, they dismiss such an idea out of hand and I don't blame them. Of course, you want your team to win. But there's a lot of identity tied up in the that losing. The ideas of resilience and loyalty, etc.

Take the Red Sox as an example. They were the Sisyphean team. Many times they came excruciatingly close only to fail in the most painful ways. Their fans wore this as a badge. There was something epically tragic about being a Red Sox fan. It was an identity. Then they won. And now they're just another team that isn't as good as the Yankees. And the suffering that had mitigated the boorishness of the fans disappeared.

:lol: That's a pretty masochistic point of view.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:34 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I'll take watching the Cubs win a world series and becoming just another team. I'm not a fan because of the Lovable Losers and all that bullshit. I'm a fan because both of my grandfathers and my father were. I spoke to my grandfather once during a game as he was fighting cancer and he literally said he can't believe he never got to see the Cubs win it all. I dont think he was rooting because of the Lovable Loser thing either.

I hope my son is a fan too. I'm brainwashing him early on and he already knows that the Cubs and Bears are the good guys and every other teams are villians trying to get them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: ------
Curious Hair wrote:
Like I said, the problem with demonstrating your Superior Sports Perspective by saying this Bulls season doesn't matter is that you still have to host a five-hour talk show through the dog days of the sports year. Of course, if someone were to call in on February 13th and interrupt an extended session of NBA navel-gazing with "hey Dan, I thought this Bulls season doesn't matter," you'd just get "It's my show! I can talk about whatever I want to talk about! Don't listen if you don't like it. Shut up. I'm telling Mom."

I refuse to believe that a team with a backcourt of Rip Hamilton and Kirk Heinrich could ever be irrelevant.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Minstrelsy of Darkness

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Minstrelsy of Darkness

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:35 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
I hope my son is a fan too. I'm brainwashing him early on and he already knows that the Cubs and Bears are the good guys and every other teams are villians trying to get them.

Since you are trotting Hank Jr out to play soccer at 3 he is probably going to be rooting for Manchester United in a few years

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Investigating
SHARK wrote:
That was a letdown.

At first glance, I took this to mean you didn't like Curious' efforts. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:45 am 

beni hanna wrote:
SHARK wrote:
That was a letdown.

At first glance, I took this to mean you didn't like Curious' efforts. :)

I will convince myself that's exactly what he meant.

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:55 am 

Well, he'd be right! This thread-starting business is wearing me out. I can't bring it every day. I resign my, well, sigh, post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I think its Kid's turn to be the B&B thread starter for a bit. He's underachieving on his clever potential the past few months...

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
FavreFan wrote:
I think its Kid's turn to be the B&B thread starter for a bit. He's underachieving on his clever potential the past few months...

I second this motion.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:58 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Well, he'd be right! This thread-starting business is wearing me out. I can't bring it every day. I resign my, well, sigh, post.

It was a good run, Curious. Nobody did it the way you did it. One day we'll look back on the week of 10/22/12 thorugh 10/26/12 with the full understanding that we were a part of something great. You were a comet this week. You flashed your brilliance only briefly....then you were gone.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:59 am 

FavreFan wrote:

Meh, I just haven't been trying much. Most folks here don't really find me all that funny or clever.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:00 pm 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Meh, I just haven't been trying much. Most folks here don't really find me all that funny or clever.

I'm sorry I didn't like the Kaner mult Kid.....Can we hug it out?

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:14 pm 

LET'S GET THE PARTY STARTED WITH WHITE SOX ATTENDANCE TALK BABY OHHHHH YEAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:18 pm 

Dan's made two Zappa references in as many days, if I'm not mistaken. I can't imagine he's one of us.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
LET'S GET THE PARTY STARTED WITH WHITE SOX ATTENDANCE TALK BABY OHHHHH YEAH

I am unable to listen at the moment, but in what context could they possibly be talking about this and not be retreading earth that has already been salted ten times over?