It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
It's a "State Farm Bears' Monday", although I don't know if the Bears are really "in a Better State" following an ugly 23-22 win over the Panthers at Soldier Field in a game clearly won statistically by Carolina. A great deal of today's show will be devoted to how the Bears pulled a rabbit out of their hat, scoring 16 points in the final quarter to turn what appeared to be an embarrassing home loss to a 1-win Carolina team into the Bears' 6th win in 7 games. Perhaps the following Bernstein column will be among the topics of conversation, in which "Cutler Wins Hearts of F---ing Fans". You can find that here:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/10/28/ ... -ing-fans/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Damn you Curious Hair! I forgot how much SHARK's preview sucked!

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Damn you Curious Hair! I forgot how much SHARK's preview sucked!

Titles are the hardest.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Why does Bernstein title his piece as though it is to be directed to 3rd parties then spend the entire column addressing Jay Cutler personally?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:24 am 

Didn't Bernstine already address this? Cutler is a jerk. It has been stated and explained already. Too bad Bernstine can't explain what happened on the field because from my vantage point Cutler deserved to be booed based upon his first half performance, and in the post game Cutler agreed.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/10/01/bernstein-stellar-play-trumps-cutlers-attitude/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
No Clever Moniker wrote:
Didn't Bernstine already address this? Cutler is a jerk. It has been stated and explained already. Too bad Bernstine can't explain what happened on the field because from my vantage point Cutler deserved to be booed based upon his first half performance, and in the post game Cutler agreed.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/10/01/bernstein-stellar-play-trumps-cutlers-attitude/

The show will be bad today.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
SomeGuy wrote:
No Clever Moniker wrote:

I assume you won't be listening then?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
City of Fools wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
No Clever Moniker wrote:

I assume you won't be listening then?

I dunno. I have the Mac and Meat show on the stream and I'm at home today so I give it a shot.

PTFBing will never stop me from posting about the show.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
His comment about fans being fat and ugly is ridiculous, bit or not. Bernstein is an ugly little dude. And the rest of the article really has no thesis. He is just blathering.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Dan Bernstein wrote:
I’ll always agree with you about stupid Bears fans, believe me. Any of us who deals with some of these people can understand your pain and frustration. They can be under-informed and over-served, have problems stringing together the simplest of sentences, and many of them are also some combination of morbidly obese and hideously ugly.

welcome to the tribe of dan (no, not that one) --- a thoughtfully intelligent place where joy is written off as the caterwauling of the stupid, and entry to the exclusive "cool kids club" is gained by continued patronage of Dear Leader, whose comic exaggeration can't completely hide the fact that he's probably somewhat ashamed of what he does for a living.

reading stuff like this reminds me of a george carlin standup set where he's doing one of his bits about how "people are really goddamn stupid" but then he takes a slight pause and says "....well not you guys, obviously, you're obviously good people!" --- of course they are, they're making it possible for george to not have to sit in an office for eight hours a day five hours a week doing normal work.

the same thing applies to dan here... and he's clearly marked his niche/territory/etc. i think dan knows that sports have their place in society, as the distraction from our day to day lives that they provide gives many people some genuine entertainment, therefore there is definitely low-level merit to what he does for a living... but i think deep down beyond the all-too-easy penn state / CTE / lance armstrong crusading to "make a difference"; he thinks that manifesting his jaded sports self-actualization in such a way that he fosters that aforementioned carlin-type relationship with his audience is, by and large, a means of evolving his audience's means of consuming sports.

by doing things like getting people interested in some SABRmetrics and not just challenging, but outright attacking just about every instutional foundation of the contemporary chicago sports world- dan thinks that we're going to be better for the wear once we come around to his point of view. if we're willing to accept his views and embrace the way he consumes sports, and keep in mind in terms of self-validation he's making six figures a year to regurgitate the sports he's consuming, then ultimately we're going to be "better" sports fans by "evolving" beyond the "traditional" means of sports consumption.

so i get where he's coming from with all this stuff.... and i spent most of my 20s listening to his radio show while i'd clank away on the keyboards at work or drive around in my car... and by and large he has definitely helped shape the way i intake my sports.... but still, i've grown a bit weary of the "us (smart people) against the world (fucking idiots)" mentality. i'd be willing to bet that dan would cut down some coach who gave an impassioned "ITS US AGAINST THE WORLD" cliche speech, but that's pretty much what he does with his audience... and god bless him i mean it works and he's got his loyal followers and there's definitely a sense of b&b tribalism (example: once on twitter i cracked a joke @ maddux boy and schmutzie ("omfg it's maddux boy and schmutzie! i'm starstruck!" =) and they quickly fired back, so as we matched wits i had to LOL as they started dragging the @boers_bernstein and @dan_bernstein accounts into the exchanges, almost as if to point out to dear leader HEY LOOK AT THIS GUY CRACKING WISE AT US!!! almost like i'd be shamed via the process of having my idiocy brought up to the big chief and then i'd quickly rethink my position and refrain from doing such things in the future) --- and hey, god bless him for that... that's how you cultivate a loyal audience... but in the wake of stuff like this where it's laid on thick, nowadays in my old/er age i gotta kick back and detach and wash my head of it, just like many of us are doing on this board as we continue to grow more cynical and jaded with b&b as a whole.

so basically, all of this existential hooha is just my quasi-intellectual way of saying that while i'll always enjoy the show and it's burrowed a place in my soul like, say, smoking cigarettes.... an increasingly larger part of me wants to do "stupid" things like pay too much to freeze my ass off at a game with worse-than-tv views with a few in me and sing BEAR DOWN CHICAGO BEARS with some meatballs i dont know and not care that my quarterback doesnt like me cuz no matter how much money he's got he's paid to throw a damn ball for a living and like.... you know what? i think i'm plenty capable of being analytical and intelligent and all that.... but if i'm gonna choose a tribe, i'm going to side with the morbidly obese and hideously ugly under-informed and over-served meatballs who have problems stringing together the simplest of sentences--- cuz you know what? it's like weird al taught me: dare to be stupid

anyways, my next ~10 posts will be 3 sentences or less to compensate for this one. it's manic mondayyyyyyyy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
There's an original thought from Bernstein. I figured the Cutler-bashing has reached a point that Dan would say is enough. Nah, then he pens (types?) this garbage.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Dan Bernstein wrote:
I’ll always agree with you about stupid Bears fans, believe me. Any of us who deals with some of these people can understand your pain and frustration. They can be under-informed and over-served, have problems stringing together the simplest of sentences, and many of them are also some combination of morbidly obese and hideously ugly.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:07 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Dan Bernstein wrote:

It seems like he had some trouble stringing together that part you bolded. Reading that felt like tripping over an uneven sidewalk.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
redskingreg wrote:
There's an original thought from Bernstein. I figured the Cutler-bashing has reached a point that Dan would say is enough. Nah, then he pens (types?) this garbage.

Recycled, tired garbage. They were just making fun of columnists who are writing the same article on Marshall (which I agree with), and Bernstein craps this out.

Also, does anyone have a more fitting headshot than Bernstein? Smug, condescending smirk, looking at you with a mixture of dismissive hate and bemusement, with a self-satisfactory acceptance that at least you will be enlightened from his words of wisdom.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Theses:
1. Fans booed the Bears
2. The Bears deserved to be booed because they played like crap
3. Cutler is a prick
4. But Jay you're so tough and smart, dude, that trade was totally worth it, I love you, man
5. And then the Bears were awesome in the 4th quarter, so it's all good
6. Plus, who cares what Bears fans think, they're all fat, drunk, and stupid, don't listen to them, Jay, listen to me
7. Herpa derpa narrative derpa winning herpa PR derpa context derpa National Damned Football League derp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:20 am 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
7. Herpa derpa narrative derpa winning herpa PR derpa context derpa National Damned Football League derp

Do you have any idea what he meant by that. PR people follow Twitter...and?

Is he saying that Jay's PR people need to follow what is being said about him on Twitter? Is he saying that Jay should start tweeting? What is he trying to say there?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
SpiralStairs wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:

Is he saying that Jay's PR people need to follow what is being said about him on Twitter? Is he saying that Jay should start tweeting? What is he trying to say there?

Maybe that's why Jay doesn't get endorsements or the benefit of the doubt from national media?

Either way it doesn't matter, as Jay has said he doesn't care about that stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
SpiralStairs wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:

No idea. Dan loves to say that wins and losses are all that matter, that Cutler's body language is irrelevant, that appeasing meatballs is a fruitless pursuit, but he also has some sort of weird obsession with the art of public relations. He says things like "this is the most important press conference in the history of the Chicago Bears," as if that's a thing that can be ranked. He mines every word of John Groce's introductory remarks for insight into his intellect and coaching style. And anytime there's a major sports scandal, he brings on a PR expert to spout some facile bit of obviousness like "Penn State's Q rating has really dropped since it was revealed that children were raped there."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:37 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:

Maybe that's why Jay doesn't get endorsements or the benefit of the doubt from national media?

Cutler does appear to do quite a bit for charity. Doesn't that benefit far more than doing some ads for nut butter?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:38 am 
Site Admin

sinicalypse wrote:
Dan Bernstein wrote:

welcome to the tribe of dan (no, not that one) --- a thoughtfully intelligent place where joy is written off as the caterwauling of the stupid, and entry to the exclusive "cool kids club" is gained by continued patronage of Dear Leader, whose comic exaggeration can't completely hide the fact that he's probably somewhat ashamed of what he does for a living.

reading stuff like this reminds me of a george carlin standup set where he's doing one of his bits about how "people are really goddamn stupid" but then he takes a slight pause and says "....well not you guys, obviously, you're obviously good people!" --- of course they are, they're making it possible for george to not have to sit in an office for eight hours a day five hours a week doing normal work.

the same thing applies to dan here... and he's clearly marked his niche/territory/etc. i think dan knows that sports have their place in society, as the distraction from our day to day lives that they provide gives many people some genuine entertainment, therefore there is definitely low-level merit to what he does for a living... but i think deep down beyond the all-too-easy penn state / CTE / lance armstrong crusading to "make a difference"; he thinks that manifesting his jaded sports self-actualization in such a way that he fosters that aforementioned carlin-type relationship with his audience is, by and large, a means of evolving his audience's means of consuming sports.

by doing things like getting people interested in some SABRmetrics and not just challenging, but outright attacking just about every instutional foundation of the contemporary chicago sports world- dan thinks that we're going to be better for the wear once we come around to his point of view. if we're willing to accept his views and embrace the way he consumes sports, and keep in mind in terms of self-validation he's making six figures a year to regurgitate the sports he's consuming, then ultimately we're going to be "better" sports fans by "evolving" beyond the "traditional" means of sports consumption.

so i get where he's coming from with all this stuff.... and i spent most of my 20s listening to his radio show while i'd clank away on the keyboards at work or drive around in my car... and by and large he has definitely helped shape the way i intake my sports.... but still, i've grown a bit weary of the "us (smart people) against the world (fucking idiots)" mentality. i'd be willing to bet that dan would cut down some coach who gave an impassioned "ITS US AGAINST THE WORLD" cliche speech, but that's pretty much what he does with his audience... and god bless him i mean it works and he's got his loyal followers and there's definitely a sense of b&b tribalism (example: once on twitter i cracked a joke @ maddux boy and schmutzie ("omfg it's maddux boy and schmutzie! i'm starstruck!" =) and they quickly fired back, so as we matched wits i had to LOL as they started dragging the @boers_bernstein and @dan_bernstein accounts into the exchanges, almost as if to point out to dear leader HEY LOOK AT THIS GUY CRACKING WISE AT US!!! almost like i'd be shamed via the process of having my idiocy brought up to the big chief and then i'd quickly rethink my position and refrain from doing such things in the future) --- and hey, god bless him for that... that's how you cultivate a loyal audience... but in the wake of stuff like this where it's laid on thick, nowadays in my old/er age i gotta kick back and detach and wash my head of it, just like many of us are doing on this board as we continue to grow more cynical and jaded with b&b as a whole.

so basically, all of this existential hooha is just my quasi-intellectual way of saying that while i'll always enjoy the show and it's burrowed a place in my soul like, say, smoking cigarettes.... an increasingly larger part of me wants to do "stupid" things like pay too much to freeze my ass off at a game with worse-than-tv views with a few in me and sing BEAR DOWN CHICAGO BEARS with some meatballs i dont know and not care that my quarterback doesnt like me cuz no matter how much money he's got he's paid to throw a damn ball for a living and like.... you know what? i think i'm plenty capable of being analytical and intelligent and all that.... but if i'm gonna choose a tribe, i'm going to side with the morbidly obese and hideously ugly under-informed and over-served meatballs who have problems stringing together the simplest of sentences--- cuz you know what? it's like weird al taught me: dare to be stupid

anyways, my next ~10 posts will be 3 sentences or less to compensate for this one. it's manic mondayyyyyyyy

:cheers: :cheers:

Boers & bernstein: It's like smoking cigarettes. You wish you could quit but it's nearly impossible.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:44 am 

redskingreg wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:

Cutler does appear to do quite a bit for charity. Doesn't that benefit far more than doing some ads for nut butter?

I agree. Just trying to find my way into Dan's warped mind.

I feel ill...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Was that some smooth music that they were just using as the bumper?? It sounded awfully smooth.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:33 pm 

Here's the Monday Game Plan:

*NEXT: The SCORE/WBBM Newsradio/Bears Radio Network's Zach Zaidman-More Reaction to HC Lovie Smith's Day After Press Conference
*3P: NBA.com's Steve Aschburner-Why Did OKC Trade James Harden to HOU?
*4P: The SCORE/Tribune/NF Post/CSNC's Matt Bowen-X & O's Breakdown of the Bears' Win Over Carolina

"Scoreboard Updates": Matt Rodewald

Terry's "two favorite words", Laurence Holmes, wraps up "State Farm Bears' Monday" @ 6P. The SCORE has Dial Global Radio Network's national broadcast of 49ers/Cardinals starting with (unfortunately) Jim Gray's pregame @ 7P. Kevin Harlan, Dan Fouts & Mark Malone paint the picture @ 7:30P from University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, AZ. After Dial Global's coverage of the San Francisco/Arizona game wraps, Les Grobstein & Adam Harris have the EP version of "SCORE Overnight" from after the game (11P-ish?) to 5A Tuesday, complete with "Bum of the Week".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:09 pm 

There's the Pennsylvania shot!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:46 pm 

This caller is absolutely fucking nuts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Anthony/Tony from Kenosha! My guy! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:49 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
This show is lost like a ship in a hurricane.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:51 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Making fun of Siragusa is my beacon. Guy's an absolute joke.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:51 pm 

HMS Bountygate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:53 pm 

uofiguy wrote:

Making fun of Siragusa is my beacon. Guy's an absolute joke.

He hasn't missed a meal since his playing days in Baltimore ended. I don't think we'll get Tony Siragusa next Sunday when the Bears head to Nashville to face the Titans at LP Field on the "NFL on FOX" at Noon. Might we get this show's one & only Dick Stockton Sunday in "Music City"?