It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Irish Boy wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:
By the way, when being blocked, Shea McClellan is fucking useless. Fire Phil Emery.

Haven't you been listening? Defensive linemen are so fast these days, no tackle* can block them one-on-one!

*Unless the tackle were LeBron James, or something like that

When he only watches Bears games and thus sees nothing but Julius Peppers and Gabe Carimi, I can see how he'd think that.

This is it in a nutshell. Dan talks about baseball as if he just completed a stats postdoc at Stanford, but he won't take five minutes every Monday to glance at FO or PFF. He swoons over Bowen dropping mundane terms like "landmark," but he won't take the time to hit Smart Football so he can recognize all that stuff himself. He regularly says really dumb shit, like "what did Sid Gillman run?" and yells at meatballs that the 46 is defunct, even though the Jets and Ravens run it all the time. In a vacuum, none of that is a big deal; sports media (and sports radio in particular) are populated by all manner of simpletons. The difference is that despite all that ignorance, Dan still puts on his talking-to-a-five-year-old voice and explains terms like "stack-and-shed" and "flips [his] hips" like he's performing a public service to all us rubes. Until he evinces any awareness that there exist 31 teams that don't play at Soldier Field, most anything Dan says about the NFL can be safely ignored.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
And no better way to end it than to talk about ratings!

I actually thought those numbers were pretty interesting. I know this has probably been said elsewhere but Roger Goodell must cream his jeans just thinking about how popular fantasy football has become. Before I started playing fantasy in 2006 I might watch a couple of NFL games a month, now I don't think twice about spending close to 12 hours on a Sunday consuming all things NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Irish Boy wrote:
By the way, when being blocked, Shea McClellan is fucking useless. Fire Phil Emery.

Haven't you been listening? Defensive linemen are so fast these days, no tackle* can block them one-on-one!

*Unless the tackle were LeBron James, or something like that

When he only watches Bears games and thus sees nothing but Julius Peppers and Gabe Carimi, I can see how he'd think that.

This is it in a nutshell. Dan talks about baseball as if he just completed a stats postdoc at Stanford, but he won't take five minutes every Monday to glance at FO or PFF. He swoons over Bowen dropping mundane terms like "landmark," but he won't take the time to hit Smart Football so he can recognize all that stuff himself. He regularly says really dumb shit, like "what did Sid Gillman run?" and yells at meatballs that the 46 is defunct, even though the Jets and Ravens run it all the time. In a vacuum, none of that is a big deal; sports media (and sports radio in particular) are populated by all manner of simpletons. The difference is that despite all that ignorance, Dan still puts on his talking-to-a-five-year-old voice and explains terms like "stack-and-shed" and "flips [his] hips" like he's performing a public service to all us rubes. Until he evinces any awareness that there exist 31 teams that don't play at Soldier Field, most anything Dan says about the NFL can be safely ignored.

In his candid moments he acknowledges that he doesn't know much about football. Then he goes back to mocking the rubes.

SpiralStairs wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
And no better way to end it than to talk about ratings!

I actually thought those numbers were pretty interesting. I know this has probably been said elsewhere but Roger Goodell must cream his jeans just thinking about how popular fantasy football has become. Before I started playing fantasy in 2006 I might watch a couple of NFL games a month, now I don't think twice about spending close to 12 hours on a Sunday consuming all things NFL.

If I were Roger Goodell, my main concerns would be 1.) NFL Network has been a financial mistake, though no one will acknowledge it as such; 2.) a much larger than acknowledged percentage of the value of the league is tied up in handouts from states and municipalities which might not be around now that no one has any money; and the ticking CTE timebomb, which regardless of the science of it threatens to cut away a healthy amount of the mushy fandom at the margins.

Actually, Goodell faces the same problem that all businesses that are at the very top of their market face: what do you do when there really isn't anywhere to go but down? I'm not saying the NFL will turn into the NHL -- I doubt it will be supplanted from the top spot in American sportsdom for a long, long time -- but I expect that by 2020 or so the league is going to start really feeling some of these effects, to the point that its dominance will not go completely unquestioned.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
My son is 7. I dread the day when he no longer thinks I'm the funniest person on earth.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Quote:
Dan Bernstein ‏@dan_bernstein
And with the return of the #NBA comes the return of Twitter usuals: passive racists, active racists, and those with hockey-related avatars.

He just can't stop. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:41 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:
And with the return of the #NBA comes the return of Twitter usuals: passive racists, active racists, and those with hockey-related avatars.

Which one is he?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:51 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:

Thank God football has rid themselves of all the racists, both passive and the opposite of passive, if I can be unnecessarily wordy without being more informative.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:43 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:

Sweet merciful crap.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:45 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Irish Boy wrote:
If I were Roger Goodell, my main concerns would be 1.) NFL Network has been a financial mistake, though no one will acknowledge it as such

Really. As someone who hates NFL Public Access, I'd love to learn more about this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:

Sweet merciful crap.

Is he really so obtuse that he fails to recognize his own racism that is so readily apparent in the way he views the CBA player as some kind of noble savage?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:02 pm 

Pretty much, yeah.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hockey-related avatar. Fuck yeah!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:30 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Quote:

Sweet merciful crap.

Is he really so obtuse that he fails to recognize his own racism that is so readily apparent in the way he views the CBA player as some kind of noble savage?

It's not just the CBA. It's not much of an exaggeration to say it's any black person who's ever played pro basketball or football. When the Bears signed Roy Williams, they interviewed him in the Bob Rohrman Stinky & Overheated Van or whatever it's called, and afterwards Dan couldn't stop talking about how tall he was and how his shoulders were so broad and his hands were so big and he just filled the whole van. I mean, we're talking about a marginal NFL talent here. It's just kind of...weird.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:37 pm 

x-posting from the Hood thread since it wound up being extra-pertinent 36 hours later:
Curious Hair wrote:
There might have been some very interesting people in the CBA after all. I'm sure there was like a 7'2" guy from Mississippi who wanted to be a choreographer but was forced into a life of basketball despite not even liking it and hence sucking at it such that he was stuck playing for the Rockford Lightning; so much for winning the genetic lottery. I can see stories like that in basketball, maybe even on the peripheries of the NBA. The NHL is not a lush vineyard of human interest, though. Hockey players are pretty much just guys who grow up liking hockey, decide they want to play hockey, and then play a lot of hockey while attentively following hockey. Big fuckin' deal. It's much more interesting, when, as Dan gushed over various Bears players, guys who play football don't even follow football or respect the history of football. Worse, they're pretty much all from the myriad Naperville analogues of the Great Lakes/Northeast and just go on to drink too much and fuck underage girls, so it's not like they've earned this debauchery by overcoming any sort of societal adversity. It's their white privilege that allows them to engage in the silliness of strictly enforced rules about where you can walk on the carpet; when life used to be hard, that's when the locker room is the office, where these people go to work like men. I guess the same kinda goes for baseball players being comfortably obnoxious, except I'm pretty sure they're just grown on farms in central Florida or something.

I've sometimes wondered if the whole Kaner obsession is part of some full-scale effort to bust the widespread myth of hockey players being "the most down-to-earth athletes" as mere racial coding for "white guys" and fight back with real-life experience of how oh, no no, it is in fact the black people who are the most down-to-earth and the white guys are the belligerent douchebags, you bigoted cargo-shorted monsters, but it's probably just that Patrick Kane is kind of annoying. And dwelling on how interesting a fucking professional athlete is is okay when Dan says it is simply because this time Dan says it is.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:38 pm 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
It's not just the CBA. It's not much of an exaggeration to say it's any black person who's ever played pro basketball or football. When the Bears signed Roy Williams, they interviewed him in the Bob Rohrman Stinky & Overheated Van or whatever it's called, and afterwards Dan couldn't stop talking about how tall he was and how his shoulders were so broad and his hands were so big and he just filled the whole van. I mean, we're talking about a marginal NFL talent here. It's just kind of...weird.

I wonder how long it's going to be before Dan lets slip some kind of blatant, Jimmy the Greek style assessment of black athletes?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:45 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
I wonder how long it's going to be before Dan lets slip some kind of blatant, Jimmy the Greek style assessment of black athletes?

Oh, I don't know, how about -3 years?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:52 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

Oh, I don't know, how about -3 years?

Is -3 the line, or is that indicating three years ago? I haven't been listening the Dan as long as some others here but I'd be comfortable assuming he hasn't gone that far off the reservation...yet. I think his fawning over Powerful Black Men is 1/2 trolling meatballs and 1/2 Freudian projection.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:03 am 

"He will do so in negative three years."

Saying stuff like "I don't want some white guy, I want a stud" is just as insidious (and ten times as gay) as "blacks were bred for physical labor" or whatever Jimmy the Greek said, it's just that Dan seems to think he's doing black people a favor by saying they're good at something.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:29 am 

SpiralStairs wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:

Dan's too polished for that. All of the racial stuff is painstakingly coded and shrouded in layers of insinuation and whispered amid semantical sleights-of-hand, such that it's become a ubiquitous part of basically every NFL/NBA conversation on the show and nobody but us chickens has said boo about it. I guess I could see him just flat-out carpet-bombing somebody to such a degree, and in such poor taste, that there's some pushback (Christians and Livestrong-loyal cancer patients are your top candidates), but let's not bullshit ourselves. As long as Mitch is running the show, anything short of showing up to the holiday party in blackface will elicit a pat on the back and maybe a request to talk more White Sox attendance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:59 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
There is the NFL, & then everyone else. The NFL is so far & away ahead of every other professional sports league, their position of dominance will never ever be challenged. Which professional sport will overtake the NFL? MLB? NBA? NHL? No...

NCAA Football is still better though...

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:14 am 

In other news, the TNT guys are right now as we speak playing that game that Bernstein was talking about in transition--the one where you read out some shitty player's name and guess where he's playing--only they call it "Who He Play For?" and it's not absolutely horrible.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:23 am 

I liked trying to guess not only where players were but which players would be chosen: while I could not guess the location of Corey Maggette, I could guess that I would be asked to guess the location of Corey Maggette.

That being said, reading the rosters of bad teams was shitty radio. I know Dan smartly inoculated himself by teasing it as Radio So Bad They'll Fire Me, but rip-and-read NBA talk really is some of the worst crap you can do. When Dan inevitably screeches that you can't win a championship with Joakim Noah at center and then asks Terry if he wants to know who Joakim Noah's ten most similar players by career and equivalent age are, I hope he just says "no."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:04 am 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
"He will do so in negative three years."

Saying stuff like "I don't want some white guy, I want a stud" is just as insidious (and ten times as gay) as "blacks were bred for physical labor" or whatever Jimmy the Greek said, it's just that Dan seems to think he's doing black people a favor by saying they're good at something.

Once of the more recent developments related to this is his narrative wherein the poor black man gets his brains beaten in and braves the ravages of CTE to create generational wealth for his family. And dan is doing his part as a consumer of the brutal sport along with neurologists/Packer fans.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:48 am 

Scorehead wrote:
There is the NFL, & then everyone else. The NFL is so far & away ahead of every other professional sports league, their position of dominance will never ever be challenged. Which professional sport will overtake the NFL? MLB? NBA? NHL? No...

NCAA Football is still better though...

What was the relative strength of the NBA versus the NFL during the 90s?

It seemed to me that from about 1988 through 2000 or so the NBA was king with national shows during non traditional hours (Inside Stuff) and every hit show looking for a guest appearance from an NBA player.

If I were a ridiculously wealthy guy, instead of investing in alternative pro football leagues, I would start up a pro rugby league in the US starting in about March through June. I think you could draw in the football, soccer and hockey crowds with the appropriate style and level of advertising.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Keeping Score wrote:
Somebody make a thread already would ya? I'm ready for the goodness to begin.

Today's preview should include the rampant racism amongst NBA fans and those Twitter users with hockey-related avatars. Also, Dan's kid is sick of his schtick.

Keeping Score wrote:
Somebody make a thread already would ya? I'm ready for the goodness to begin.

:roll:

pizza_Place: ***
Scorehead in 2004 wrote:
There is MySpace, & then everyone else. MySpace is so far & away ahead of every other social media website, their position of dominance will never ever be challenged.

Scorehead in 1975 wrote:
There is Kodak, & then everyone else. Kodak is so far & away ahead of every other photography company, their position of dominance will never ever be challenged.

Scorehead in 1950 wrote:
There is IBM, & then everyone else. IBM is so far & away ahead of every other computer company, their position of dominance will never ever be challenged.

Scorehead in 400 B.C. wrote:
There is the Achaemenid Empire, & then everyone else. Persia is so far & away ahead of every other Mesopotamian power, their position of dominance will never ever be challenged.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Keeping Score wrote:
On a completely unrelated note to anything, what is our stance on Maddux Boy? I'm contemplating having a Twitter war with him.

If you have to ask, well, there isn't any hope for you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 am 

Irish Boy wrote:
Scorehead in 2004 wrote:
There is MySpace, & then everyone else. MySpace is so far & away ahead of every other social media website, their position of dominance will never ever be challenged.

Scorehead in 1975 wrote:
There is Kodak, & then everyone else. Kodak is so far & away ahead of every other photography company, their position of dominance will never ever be challenged.

Scorehead in 1950 wrote:
There is IBM, & then everyone else. IBM is so far & away ahead of every other computer company, their position of dominance will never ever be challenged.

Scorehead in 400 B.C. wrote:
There is the Achaemenid Empire, & then everyone else. Persia is so far & away ahead of every other Mesopotamian power, their position of dominance will never ever be challenged.

lolz0r

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Bianchi's - Ottawa
Keeping Score wrote:
On a completely unrelated note to anything, what is our stance on Maddux Boy? I'm contemplating having a Twitter war with him.

He's Boers & Bernstein's power bottom bitch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5