It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: ------
Curious Hair wrote:
Yo, JORR, do you think the fetishization of basketball coaches is part of the whole Noble Savage thing? The show has proper disdain for all other coaches of team sports. Football coaches are just screamy gym teachers in ugly polo shirts. Baseball managers are potbellied old has-beens who still tuck their pants into their socks as if they might need to pinch-hit. Hockey coaches, who fucking cares. But it's the basketball coach who dresses like a grown-ass man and, in teaching mostly black guys to play a nonviolent game, is able to use his running of a ton of stuff and past exploits of ton-of-stuff-running to civilize his charges into the sort of serious young men who can surpass the fratboy silliness of white sports culture and properly treat their locker room like the office it is. I suspect The White Shadow played a large part in the formative years of a Dan Bernstein.

Actually according to this show hockey coaches are creepy and in a similar mold as Sandusky.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:09 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
That was one guy in major-junior. I hope they don't think Mike Keenan goes around sucking off kids.

Interestingly, between the Graham James rape scandal and the bus crash that killed four players, Swift Current has to be the most star-crossed town on the circuit. Poor Joe Sakic, who was on the Graham James team that was in the crash, must really carry some dark, dark shit with him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:13 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't think that Lebron has more endurance than most other players in the NBA.

I do. He played almost 44 mpg in last year's playoffs and had the unusual position of being the main offensive option and guarding the other team's best guy in every game. There's a reason even the greatest of players usually dont play more than 40-42 mpg. It's really hard to do.
Lebron played less minutes per game last year than Kevin Love, Luol Deng, and Dwight Howard. In the playoffs, he played in 42.7 minutes per game. Metta World Peace, who is old, played 39.3. Even Wade played 39.4. Lebron played a lot because of how good he is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't think that Lebron has more endurance than most other players in the NBA.

I do. He played almost 44 mpg in last year's playoffs and had the unusual position of being the main offensive option and guarding the other team's best guy in every game. There's a reason even the greatest of players usually dont play more than 40-42 mpg. It's really hard to do.
Lebron played less minutes per game last year than Kevin Love, Luol Deng, and Dwight Howard. In the playoffs, he played in 42.7 minutes per game. Metta World Peace, who is old, played 39.3. Even Wade played 39.4. Lebron played a lot because of how good he is.

But it's safe to say LeBron was expending significantly more energy on the court than Wade or Metta was.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:18 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Okay, fair enough. But I do take issue with the idea that has become prevalent in the post-Jordan era that a player shouldn't be credited for his height. As in "Shaq is just tall." Height is a physical attribute like any other. And in the game of basketball it's a positive and highly-prized physical attribute. Saying "Shaq isn't great, he's just tall." is as ridiculous as saying "Iverson isn't great, he's just quick." If there are two guys who have exactly the same skillset and one is four inches taller, which one are you going to take?
I'm not saying a player isn't great because they are tall. I'm saying that a basketball player isn't more athletic than a tennis player because he's 7 foot tall and therefore looks impressive when he gets off a bus. A 7 foot person struggles in just about every game but basketball. There is a reason that 6'9 seems to be the tallest NFL player. Are we to assume that no 7 footer has ever decided to play football by choice? In reality, you just can't play football if you are 7 feet very well or you are at such an advantage in basketball that it makes sense to stay with it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:21 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

But it's safe to say LeBron was expending significantly more energy on the court than Wade or Metta was.
I don't know if that is true. Given how Lebron is more physically opposing than the person who is guarding him he likely can do things with less effort. Many times, Lebron can just do what he wants. He doesn't have to struggle.

I think that every team has at least 3 players who are in shape enough to play 45 minutes if they so choose.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:26 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't know if that is true. Given how Lebron is more physically opposing than the person who is guarding him he likely can do things with less effort. Many times, Lebron can just do what he wants. He doesn't have to struggle.

Maybe on one particular posession, but that's a different argument. Over the course of an entire game, what LeBron does on each end of the court takes significantly more energy than what Wade or Metta does. From running point to playing in the post to just the sheer number of touches on offense, and on defense he always guards the other team's best player, often guarding guys like KG and Rondo when they play the Celtics. That takes an incredible amount of stamina and muscle endurance. Metta stands in a corner hoping for an open three half the time he is on the court.

Quote:
I think that every team has at least 3 players who are in shape enough to play 45 minutes if they so choose

Over the course of one game, I agree. Over the course of 20 games, I disagree.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:33 am 

Why not? You don't think Noah, Rose, and Gibson could do it once in playing shape? I don't see why not. 45 minutes of basketball is probably not harder than some of the practices. Many players go work out after games are over or work out before the game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:46 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why not? You don't think Noah, Rose, and Gibson could do it once in playing shape? I don't see why not. 45 minutes of basketball is probably not harder than some of the practices. Many players go work out after games are over or work out before the game.

Everybody, pretty much to a man, said after last year's lockout that games are an entirely different world than practices. I dont think they are comparable. I still think you are overlooking my main point, which is that all minutes are not created equal and LeBron will spend alot more energy during his than another player will. I guess I didn't remember his mpg in last year's playoffs exactly accurately, but I do remember it being talked about a little and many guys around the league were as impressed with his endurance and durability as his actual on-court production.

Noah is one of my favorite players in the league, but I dont think he or Gibson could average 45 mpg over a 20 game span. I think Noah's feet would give out before he actually got too tired, although I think both issues would prevent him from playing that much. If he did manage to play that much over that long a span, I think he would be significantly less effective as games passed. LeBron raised his game in situations like Game 4 at Indiana and Game 6 at Boston. I think Rose or Rondo might be able to do this. Kobe could a few years ago and might still be able to, although I would think he would also drop in effectiveness. I dont think there's another player on Miami, maybe Chalmers, who could do it. I think Wade's knees would prevent him from doing it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:52 am 

FavreFan wrote:
I dont think there's another player on Miami, maybe Chalmers, who could do it. I think Wade's knees would prevent him from doing it.
Wade almost went for 45 mpg in the series against Boston.

If Lebron has more endurance than most other players, why doesn't he lead the league in minutes played?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:55 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I dont think there's another player on Miami, maybe Chalmers, who could do it. I think Wade's knees would prevent him from doing it.
Wade almost went for 45 mpg in the series against Boston.

If Lebron has more endurance than most other players, why doesn't he lead the league in minutes played?

7 game is much different than 20, or whatever the amount of games the Heat played in the entire postseason. Wade also didnt do anything defensively in that series, and was routinely called out for his lazy play. People used the knee as an excuse. So that goes to my "wouldnt be as effective argument".

LeBron doesn't lead the league in minutes because he would be dead come playoff time. If it was as easy as youre suggesting there's no question Spoelstra would play him 45+ mpg. It'd be stupid not to if that didn't take a toll on him.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:02 am 

FavreFan wrote:
7 game is much different than 20, or whatever the amount of games the Heat played in the entire postseason. Wade also didnt do anything defensively in that series, and was routinely called out for his lazy play. People used the knee as an excuse. So that goes to my "wouldnt be as effective argument".
Lebron: 42.7 minutes. Wade: 39.4. You are putting a lot into a difference of 3.3 minutes.
FavreFan wrote:
LeBron doesn't lead the league in minutes because he would be dead come playoff time. If it was as easy as youre suggesting there's no question Spoelstra would play him 45+ mpg. It'd be stupid not to if that didn't take a toll on him.
Kevin Durant, and Kobe Bryant played more minutes in the regular season. Are you saying the coaches weren't worried about them being dead for the playoffs? Also, I'm pretty sure that if Lebron's coach is worried he'll be "dead come playoff time" that he doesn't have an endurance advantage. I'm not saying he should play 45 minutes a game in the regular season, but if he truly has an endurance advantage, then why not at least lead the league in minutes played?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:12 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Lebron: 42.7 minutes. Wade: 39.4. You are putting a lot into a difference of 3.3 minutes.

Well there is a difference in that 3.3 minutes. But again, Im putting much more weight into the difference in their play and production. LeBron did much more and didn't break down several times. Wade did. He had a terrible postseason by his standards. Especially defensively, where fatigue issues are much more apparent.

Quote:
FavreFan wrote:
Kevin Durant, and Kobe Bryant played more minutes in the regular season. Are you saying the coaches weren't worried about them being dead for the playoffs? Also, I'm pretty sure that if Lebron's coach is worried he'll be "dead come playoff time" that he doesn't have an endurance advantage. I'm not saying he should play 45 minutes a game in the regular season, but if he truly has an endurance advantage, then why not at least lead the league in minutes played?

I think Kobe has one of the worst coaches in league history. The Spurs rested their guys often, and they looked much fresher in the postseason than LA did.

I dont think it's a good idea for Durant to play that much either, but he is much younger and should be able to endure it better than Kobe. Last year was the lowest mpg total of LeBron's career, and it was the best he ever looked at the end of the season. I dont think that's a coincedence. Playing 40 mpg takes a lot out of players. It's hard to do that. I dont think this is very debateable.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:17 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Last year was the lowest mpg total of LeBron's career, and it was the best he ever looked at the end of the season. I dont think that's a coincedence.
Exactly, which means he's just like many other players.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:19 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Last year was the lowest mpg total of LeBron's career, and it was the best he ever looked at the end of the season. I dont think that's a coincedence.

Well yeah, he is like other players. He's not some cyborg or something. He's just better, bigger, faster, and more durable than almost every other player.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
Yo, JORR, do you think the fetishization of basketball coaches is part of the whole Noble Savage thing? The show has proper disdain for all other coaches of team sports. Football coaches are just screamy gym teachers in ugly polo shirts. Baseball managers are potbellied old has-beens who still tuck their pants into their socks as if they might need to pinch-hit. Hockey coaches, who fucking cares. But it's the basketball coach who dresses like a grown-ass man and, in teaching mostly black guys to play a nonviolent game, is able to use his running of a ton of stuff and past exploits of ton-of-stuff-running to civilize his charges into the sort of serious young men who can surpass the fratboy silliness of white sports culture and properly treat their locker room like the office it is. I suspect The White Shadow played a large part in the formative years of a Dan Bernstein.

That's an interesting theory but it just seems like there's too much projection there. In think his fetishization of basketball has more to do with the fact that it was the sport he played growing up and the fact that he is a gigantic troll. He's going to defend it just like anyone who has ever played a sport is going to defend it, but is also going to exaggerate his defense because he know's it gets people's dander up. I mean, shit, this thread has gone on seven pages now.

And let us never forget that basketball is the sport that brought down the Mighty Dan Bernstein, the sport that permanently ended his tennis ball dunking days, he's bound to have some reverence for it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Well yeah, he is like other players. He's not some cyborg or something. He's just better, bigger, faster, and more durable than almost every other player.

I agree, but then why do you get upset when Boers and BurnSTINE cite Lebron's attributes?

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I agree, but then why do you get upset when Boers and BurnSTINE cite Lebron's attributes?

Because in this case, "citing LeBron's attributes" consists of either thinly veiled homoerotica about how big he is or thinly veiled racial coding about what a stud he is.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:28 am 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I don't. I get upset when they say stupid shit like LeBron is the best at every skill set in the NBA. And they did say that last week when they were doing the NBA GM poll thing. I also get annoyed that they act like size is everything in the NBA. They think it's impossible for a guy like Rose to be the best player in the game. I don't agree with that.

Plus like Dave said, Bernstein gets to the point where he literally sounds like a homosexual when talking about LeBron. I don't think saying he's bigger, faster, and more durable is in that category.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:12 am 

FavreFan wrote:
They really need to drop this OMG Harden is only a 6th man! thing. If I didn't know they were fucking clueless about the NBA already I would think it was satirical. Harden is a really good young player who would get offered a max deal by at least a dozen teams.

Can we pull.the audio from this show, or has it been banished to the forbidden zone?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:28 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

Hm, just the other day Dan retweeted a transcript of Stan Van Gundy talking about privilege. Reading this thread again was a trip.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:32 am 

You wanna know how balls-out weird Senor was on this day? Brick said he'd own Patrick Kane at basketball and no one said a thing because there were such bigger fish to fry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:22 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Rereading this thread makes me sad that I can't link that T.D. Williams piece about blacks and analytics for like the 5th time here because the site no longer exists. I suppose it's not directly relevant though because Bernstein himself still has no understanding of basketball analytics; he simply reproduces the same gross glorification of white saviors leading unhinged athletes to victory without providing any of the actual insights the statheads are capable of bringing to the table.

Then again, I was also sad to see Williams engaging with both Baffoe and Sarah Kendzior on Twitter with anything other than disdain.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Curious Hair wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Hm, just the other day Dan retweeted a transcript of Stan Van Gundy talking about privilege. Reading this thread again was a trip.

Saw that tweet, read his quote, shuddered. Yet another person preaching about equality telling those with "privilege" (not actual privilege, mind you, like the millionaire basketball coach, but just white people everywhere) to shut up and listen to their betters.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:37 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
They really need to drop this OMG Harden is only a 6th man! thing. If I didn't know they were fucking clueless about the NBA already I would think it was satirical. Harden is a really good young player who would get offered a max deal by at least a dozen teams.

This is on the Mt. Rushmore of Bernstein's bad takes. I think it's why he still doesn't like Harden.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:42 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

This is on the Mt. Rushmore of Bernstein's bad takes. I think it's why he still doesn't like Harden.

What?!

This is one of the better takes of all time my man. Thanks!

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
ZephMarshack wrote:
Rereading this thread makes me sad that I can't link that T.D. Williams piece about blacks and analytics for like the 5th time here because the site no longer exists. I suppose it's not directly relevant though because Bernstein himself still has no understanding of basketball analytics; he simply reproduces the same gross glorification of white saviors leading unhinged athletes to victory without providing any of the actual insights the statheads are capable of bringing to the table.

Then again, I was also sad to see Williams engaging with both Baffoe and Sarah Kendzior on Twitter with anything other than disdain.

Oh hey this is actually on The Wayback Machine. Still one of the best things I've ever read on the context and implications of the rise of analytics. https://web.archive.org/web/20160613000 ... bers-game/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:16 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Oh hey this is actually on The Wayback Machine. Still one of the best things I've ever read on the context and implications of the rise of analytics. https://web.archive.org/web/20160613000 ... bers-game/

Nothing beats The Wayback Machine. It’s a big reason I’ll always love this place.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:39 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

As good as that piece is I could have used 3000 fewer words to say that Michael Wilbon is a shamless star-fucking opportunist.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6