It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gambling was an issue...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

with the Spurs. Bernstein is naive to this sort of thing. Caller said that's why it could have been an issue with Stern. That's why they got the 250k fine. Bernstein said gamblers don't bet until game time anyway.

No, Dan, you idiot. Stern isn't worried about the nickel and dime gamblers. The concern with Stern is inside information that bookies or big time gamblers could attain. The line for that game was out early in the morning. If not the day before if both teams were not playing (I'm not sure if that was the case).

If somebody got word that 3 starters weren't gonna make the trip, they'd take advantage of a point spread that is obviously set wrong. So the caller raising that point is very much valid and a concern for a sports league. The caller just didn't know how to explain it to Bernstein. This is why the NFL makes teams give an injury reports. Because they don't want big time gamblers or bookies having inside info that the general public does not have.

The Spurs knew they were gonna do this for months. Popavich admitted that. He just didn't make it public. Somebody from the team could have leaked that info to somebody for a price. You have to protect against this sort of thing if you are a pro sports league.

By the way, Stern can't say this is why he's pissed.

Bernstein doesn't understand.

Last edited by Beardown on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Does he think MJ wanted to play baseball also :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

Bernstein, you dumb ass, it's not gambling, per say, that Stern cares about. It's the fear that somebody on the Spurs could be selling inside info to gamblers. This sort of info is worth a lot of money if the public isn't aware. That's the problem. :roll: You have to protect against that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Between sales calls, budget meetings, and Six Sigma certification, where would NBA players find the time to become embroiled in a gambling scandal?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:13 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Between sales calls, budget meetings, and Six Sigma certification, where would NBA players find the time to become embroiled in a gambling scandal?

During their coffee breaks of course. Though I can't say I'll be sad when this meme dies.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dave In Champaign wrote:

See, that's not it. It most likely wouldn't be a player. They make enough money. Could be the equipment manager, the team's travel director (They knew in advance), buddies of the players, a trainer, somebody from the San Antonio media. Could have been a lot of people close to the Spurs that had this info weeks or months ago. Could have been sold to somebody. Or they could have bet themselves. They could have pounced on the early line. Pop didn't announce in until 3 or 4 hours before tip off.

The point is something like this is dangerous to the integrity of a pro sports league. That's why Stern specifically said he wasn't given enough warning. Those words meant he was nervous about "inside info" to gamblers. Like I said, Stern can't come out and say this was his concern.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
You dont think Vegas has the number of all the travel agents or the flight manifests etc.? lol I would have bet the mortgage on Miami last night had I known. Fine maybe not won but woulda.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

What was the line? Heat won by 5. It might have back fired on the insiders. Still, that's not the point. You can't have this sort of thing.

I guarentee you, if Vegas saw unusual big money action on the Heat on the moring of the game, they are calling the FEDS and the NBA and Spurs will be investigated. Cuz the Vegas sports books don't look kindly on being had. And the FBI will take in seriously. That's why Stern is concerned. He's well aware of this. Cuz I guarentee you the FBI has warned pro sports leagues of this sort of thing. Sports gambling is a multi billion dollar industry. The FEDS monitor it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I was in Vegas the end of May last year. I guarantee you that more bets were placed on May MLB games than any of the NBA playoff games.
This was pretty standard for the 40 or of us in the book that week. Sure we bet on the NBA playoffs, but no more of less than the hockey games. Not sure what this means really...just wanted to post a thought.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:47 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
doug - evergreen park wrote:
just wanted to post a thought.

It was a good one. Here's another for you to ponder...
where are you on the F2 chord? I find it's just lovely, particularly along with a Gmaj and Cmaj. It's just... lovely.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

pretty nice...especially if you pull off the G on third fret of the E string...to open E, with the pinky.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:51 pm 

pretty nice...especially if you pull off the G on third fret of the E string...to open E, with the pinky.

Hmm. I like the sharpness of the High G. Sounded a little duller with the open E to me. trilling it however... has possibilities. Been experimenting with some fingerpicking and that's worth working on...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

I was in Vegas the end of May last year. I guarantee you that more bets were placed on May MLB games than any of the NBA playoff games.
This was pretty standard for the 40 or of us in the book that week. Sure we bet on the NBA playoffs, but no more of less than the hockey games. Not sure what this means really...just wanted to post a thought.

Once again Doug, your'e missing the point. It's not about the Doug from Evergreen Park gamblers going to the window and putting $20 on a game. It's about the big time pro gamblers that look for info and hit it hard. These guys pay trainers of teams for this info. That's the point.

Doesn't matter if it's MAC basketball game that nobody is betting on. If a pro or the Mafia gets inside info on that game, they'll pound it.

Last edited by Beardown on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

well, i'm thinking more from an upstroke picking approach. so, like strum the chord standard, then pull off the G to E and up-pick the C, A, and F...

Once again, eh? Fuck you Beardown. :P

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:56 pm 

well, i'm thinking more from an upstroke picking approach. so, like strum the chord standard, then pull off the G to E and up-pick the C, A, and F...

Yes. Yes. You're onto something here... :shock: Its almost like you know what you're talking about.

This is another of those pink floydish type chords that I find myself falling in love with. Its an easy transition from C too, which sounds sweet with it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I enjoy watching you pick at your string.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

In fact, it just hit me. David Stern did get a call from the FEDS yesterday. There was big action on the Heat in Las Vegas. That's why he quickly released a staement yesterday. I think I heard it was right at tip off of the Heat game when he released it. That's also why the Spurs got a 250k fine today. There is no doubt in my mind about it.

Last edited by Beardown on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

well....play the pink floyd C chord with the low G on the E string, and then play your F2 chord, but play the C on the 5th string instead of the G on the 1st string, let the 1st string E ring open. super pretty...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:04 pm 

well....play the pink floyd C chord with the low G on the E string, and then play your F2 chord, but play the C on the 5th string instead of the G on the 1st string, let the 1st string E ring open. super pretty...

I think I fucked it up but I get what you're saying... will take a minute to unfuck my fingers from those "programmed" positions. :?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:11 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Dave In Champaign wrote:

Now what's this reference?

EDIT: oh I'm dumb, the office thing, got it in my avatar and everything

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:12 pm 

The fucking F is the hardest chord for my fingers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:14 pm 

pittmike wrote:

Which one? Open F? Barred on 1st?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

The FEDS monitoring "inside info" in sports gambling is the same reason they have the SEC. Whose responsibility is to promote full disclosure and to protect investors against fraudulent and manipulative practices in the securities markets.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

Darkside wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Which one? Open F? Barred on 1st?

If the chords are hard to play, rotate your wrist downward and rotate the guitar upward...you'll be in a better "playing" position. So, your fingers are closer to perpendicular to the neck instead of at a 30 degree angle...make sense?
Put the guitar in between your legs (instead of on your right thigh) like a classical player and you'll get what I'm talking about

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:33 pm 

The straight open F. My fingers just don't want to do it lol.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

In fact, watch Popavich and the Spurs make a public apology, accept the fine and say it will never happen again. Stern will explain to them that the FEDS are investigating or the Spurs might already know. Once again, I know Pop is innocent. He's just as naive as Bernstein as to the "Gambling" aspect to this thing. That's why he never thought it was a big deal. It is a big deal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
The straight open F. My fingers just don't want to do it lol.

it's all about position...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut

I find that to be true.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Beardown wrote:
The FEDS monitoring "inside info" in sports gambling is the same reason they have the SEC. Whose responsibility is to promote full disclosure and to protect investors against fraudulent and manipulative practices in the securities markets.

At least the NBA is paying attention. The SEC is about as effective as the Chicago inspector general.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:

I find that to be true.

totally true...doesn't matter what you are doing.
there is always a most proficient way to perform an action...thereby resulting in the the most desirable result.