It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

hootmon wrote:
Beardown wrote:
The FEDS monitoring "inside info" in sports gambling is the same reason they have the SEC. Whose responsibility is to promote full disclosure and to protect investors against fraudulent and manipulative practices in the securities markets.

At least the NBA is paying attention. The SEC is about as effective as the Chicago inspector general.

Right. Well, I meant in theory the SEC is watching.

I'm laughing at Dan's answer to a caller. "Gambling doesn't matter, people don't bet until they hear the starting lineup of the game." That was such a stupid answer. Bernstein said it like he knew what he was talking about.

1. It's safe to assume the regular starters of an NBA team are starting unless you hear of an injury.

2. People do bet early if...THEY HAVE INSIDE INFO THAT 3 BIG TIME STARTERS, THAT ARE HEALTHY, DIDN'T MAKE THE TRIP TO MIAMI. :lol: People who had this info were waiting for the sports book to open before it got out. Or they bet the night before. Like I said, some books have the next days game up at the end of the night. I think most books in Vegas open at 8 or 9am on a weekday. Maybe a little later.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Beardown wrote:
What was the line? Heat won by 5. It might have back fired on the insiders. Still, that's not the point. You can't have this sort of thing.

I guarentee you, if Vegas saw unusual big money action on the Heat on the moring of the game, they are calling the FEDS and the NBA and Spurs will be investigated. Cuz the Vegas sports books don't look kindly on being had. And the FBI will take in seriously. That's why Stern is concerned. He's well aware of this. Cuz I guarentee you the FBI has warned pro sports leagues of this sort of thing. Sports gambling is a multi billion dollar industry. The FEDS monitor it.

That line opened at Heat -6, and moved up to 11.5 once the news broke.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:54 am 
1000 CLUB

Chus wrote:
Beardown wrote:
What was the line? Heat won by 5. It might have back fired on the insiders. Still, that's not the point. You can't have this sort of thing.

I guarentee you, if Vegas saw unusual big money action on the Heat on the moring of the game, they are calling the FEDS and the NBA and Spurs will be investigated. Cuz the Vegas sports books don't look kindly on being had. And the FBI will take in seriously. That's why Stern is concerned. He's well aware of this. Cuz I guarentee you the FBI has warned pro sports leagues of this sort of thing. Sports gambling is a multi billion dollar industry. The FEDS monitor it.

That line opened at Heat -6, and moved up to 11.5 once the news broke.

Ok. Then it backfired on anybody who hit it hard early. Like I said, Vegas would still notify the FBI if they saw big action on that early line. Because that would mean they know players had "inside information" on it. That's a problem for Vegas. If it's a problem for Vegas, it's a problem for David Stern's NBA.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
I echo Beardown's sentiment that Bernsie knows nothing about gambling, and he often sounds foolish when he speaks about it.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
SpiralStairs wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Between sales calls, budget meetings, and Six Sigma certification, where would NBA players find the time to become embroiled in a gambling scandal?

During their coffee breaks of course. Though I can't say I'll be sad when this meme dies.

Where will they find time to open their mail?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Keeping Score wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Between sales calls, budget meetings, and Six Sigma certification, where would NBA players find the time to become embroiled in a gambling scandal?

During their coffee breaks of course. Though I can't say I'll be sad when this meme dies.

Where will they find time to open their mail?

:lol: :lol:

It took me a minute to see that. I saw the shark looking thing in the corner and thought this was another misguided SHARK gif.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:52 am 
1000 CLUB

Of course, what the insiders did was create themselves a 5 point middle with this line shift. They broke even minus the juice, obviously. But it was close to hitting.

Could have took the Heat early in the day on the money line. That's a winner. Could have bet the Heat early as part of a teaser. Lots of ways to beat Vegas with this type of info. That's why it's a big deal.