It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 68  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:14 am 

Seacrest wrote:

So you turned off the Sopranos everytime a racist comment was made?

Of course not, why would I?

In real life, I wouldn't associate with people who use those slurs. I dont love every character's views (obviously)

Id be "uncomfortable" with gunman shooting in the street too, but wont turn it off on my tv. Different experience.

If Im unique in being uncomfortable around people casually throwing around racial slurs, we'll that surprises me, but whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
America wrote:
People do not hate blacks, they hate liberals.

How dare you tell people who they hate?

Incidentally,

Was on a friend's boat Saturday, stopped at a sand bar. Hanging out with a few couples. Men talking about boats, women talking about shopping (like the good old days) and one of the woman announces "oh yea, I love Target, its clean and dont have to deal with the (insert italian slur for black people), they cant afford it"

Just out of fucking nowhere.

Pretty uncomfortable. Luckily we left like 5 minutes later.

But that's not even the harsh ones. There are lots of people who hate black people and would love to tell you about it.

I'm watching The Sopranos for the first time and I just watched the episode where Tony yells at the black/Jewish kid that Meadow brings home. That kid had a lot of spunk to say "Fuck You" to Tony in his own house. Clearly he has no idea who he actually is. :lol:

You're watching it for the first time? Nice.

Wikipedia the side characters as you go. Huge cast (like thrones and the wire) and they all have specific back stories that link and make sense.

Yeah, but be careful...I looked up one of the characters and prematurely saw that he died and how.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:05 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

In real life, I wouldn't associate with people who use those slurs. I dont love every character's views (obviously)

Id be "uncomfortable" with gunman shooting in the street too, but wont turn it off on my tv. Different experience.

If Im unique in being uncomfortable around people casually throwing around racial slurs, we'll that surprises me, but whatever.

Of course you didn't.

And you aren't even unique in only being offended by racial slurs said directly in front of you.

By the way, how did she respond when you told her that type of talk made you uncomfortable?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:11 am 

Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Of course you didn't.

And you aren't even unique in only being offended by racial slurs said directly in front of you.

By the way, how did she respond when you told her that type of talk made you uncomfortable?

Oh, I usually dont say anything unless I know the person really well. Im not that keen on talking to anyone I dont know real well on any of the hot button type topics. I like to keep it lite outside of close friends. I've got a bit of the ol social anxiety.

Also, as America snarkily but correctly pointed out it's not her job to make me comfortable.

Plus I was in a different conversation listening to a cop going in on unions and how they've gotten too powerful.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:13 am 

Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Of course you didn't.

Your grandstanding is so obscure here I can't even tell what your ultimate point is.

If you like a tv show you shouldn't be offended by someone using a racial slur in real life?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Of course you didn't.

Your grandstanding is so obscure here I can't even tell what your ultimate point is.

If you like a tv show you shouldn't be offended by someone using a racial slur in real life?

Yeah, I'm the one who posted some grandstanding story.

You are trying to hard Brick. And as usual, you missed the actual target for your point.

If racial slurs actually offended a person, it shouldn't really matter where they occurred.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:18 am 

Seacrest wrote:
If racial slurs actually offended a person, it shouldn't really matter where they occurred.
It's a tv show. It's make believe.

I don't want people to rob banks and kill each other either. I can still enjoy a tv show that contains those actions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 am 

This might be one of Seacrest's worst thoughts of all time on this board.

But I have to say I'm not a fan of the Batman movies because The Joker did some very bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Douchebag wrote:

But I have to say I'm not a fan of the Batman movies because The Joker did some very bad things.

But some of his henchmen, I assume, were good people.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

But some of his henchmen, I assume, were good people.

#notmysupervillian

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Douchebag wrote:

Right.

RPB comes on a board to let everyone know he is offended by racism, but not enough to actually do anything about it apparently.

Except accuse other board members of being racist of course.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:28 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I don't want people to rob banks and kill each other either. I can still enjoy a tv show that contains those actions.

Seacrest doesn't like me. He understands the difference between real life and fiction. Im quite sure of that. I dont think he would expect people to react to a fictional murder on a tv show, the way one might react to an actual murder.

I don't think my story was grandstanding. I didn't paint myself as a hero or anything. I said I was uncomfortable. But maybe it was in a way. That's fine.

Really, that she said it wasn't a big deal or rare. That she just brought it up out of nowhere is what caught my attention. The conversation was on the cost of headbands for their daughters and it was like Hey, what about black people? annoying and poor amirite?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:29 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I'm sure in the past Elmhurst Steve has only been kidding.

Like I said, you missed the point. Again. It's almost an art form with you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
this thread is gonna win points for ugliness

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
America wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
America wrote:
I'm sorry you're uncomfortable. Is there anything we can do to make your stay on Earth more pleasant? I mean, were all here to make sure you are as comfortable as possible. Let us know.

No one has to do anything. I just don't associate with those people. I don't miss them and they probably don't miss me (although I am pretty cool)

Now complete the cycle and say I need a safe space because some dumb ass threw out a racial slur for no reason and I wasnt a fan of it.

The fact that you already know what kind of reaction people will have to your pearl clutching bitchfits says it all doesn't it? You don't need a safe space, you've already got one. Go talk about the Wire and Kendrick Lamar with your yuppie friends, like worshipping black culture somehow makes up for how thoroughly you've demasculated yourself.

:lol: :lol:

I also love The Sopranos though!

I would.

Seacrest wrote:
RPB comes on a board to let everyone know he is offended by racism, but not enough to actually do anything about it apparently.

Except accuse other board members of being racist of course.

Have I done that?

Maybe after Chas dropped the N word. But not sure.

What should I have done? Argued with the woman? You think I'm going to change the mind of someone like that? She can enjoy Target for the demographic that shops there. Fine with me. I just wont be associating with her. (No tears on either side, I'm sure.)

Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Seacrest doesn't like me. He understands the difference between real life and fiction. Im quite sure of that. I dont think he would expect people to react to a fictional murder on a tv show, the way one might react to an actual murder.

I don't think my story was grandstanding. I didn't paint myself as a hero or anything. I said I was uncomfortable. But maybe it was in a way. That's fine.

Really, that she said it wasn't a big deal or rare. That she just brought it up out of nowhere is what caught my attention. The conversation was on the cost of headbands for their daughters and it was like Hey, what about black people? annoying and poor amirite?

Someone questions you and they don't like you?

Seriously?

And now racism isn't a big deal? Why did you bring it up then?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
This is just an odd argument.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:37 am 

Jbi11s wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Welcome to the board.

Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Seriously?

No, I've long held the belief you dont like me. For a couple years. This is multiple times you've summed up my presence here to calling people racist and seems like you dont like that too much. Another one for that "no big deal" file.

I brought it up because America said people dont hate black people, they hate liberals and I thought "hey, I met someone who seemingly hates black people over the weekend"

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Jbi11s wrote:

Who is arguing?

Asking someone why they brought up something that in their own words isn't a "big deal" is a question, not an argument.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:38 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

Seriously?

No, I've long held the belief you dont like me. For a couple years. Another one for that "no big deal" file.

I brought it up because America said people dont hate black people, they hate liberals and I thought "hey, I met someone who seemingly hates black people over the weekend"

So you start with a false premise, and go from there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:38 am 

Seacrest wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I didn't miss your point. Your point is stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 am 

City of Fools wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
America wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
America wrote:
I'm sorry you're uncomfortable. Is there anything we can do to make your stay on Earth more pleasant? I mean, were all here to make sure you are as comfortable as possible. Let us know.

No one has to do anything. I just don't associate with those people. I don't miss them and they probably don't miss me (although I am pretty cool)

Now complete the cycle and say I need a safe space because some dumb ass threw out a racial slur for no reason and I wasnt a fan of it.

The fact that you already know what kind of reaction people will have to your pearl clutching bitchfits says it all doesn't it? You don't need a safe space, you've already got one. Go talk about the Wire and Kendrick Lamar with your yuppie friends, like worshipping black culture somehow makes up for how thoroughly you've demasculated yourself.

I would.

What?? You've never watched a show with a racist comment? Do you fast forward thru murder scenes too?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
RPB and I disagree occasionally on issues of race and whether a lot of the outrage is genuine.

That said, I don't think he's the target of your ire, Seacrest. He usually just states his opinion and moves on. He's not beating people over the head with it like FavreFan does.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

I didn't miss your point. Your point is stupid.

It isn't just stupid, it isn't really a point at all. Better not read Huck Finn! They use the N word in it!!!!

Seacrest wrote:
So you start with a false premise, and go from there.

Ok, I take that back, glad you like me.

Do you believe reacting to real life situations and what you see in a dramatic television show should be the exact same?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

No Hank. This really is an odd one. I'm worried a board admin doesn't understand the difference between real life and fictional characterization.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:51 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Jbi11s wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

No Hank. This really is an odd one. I'm worried a board admin doesn't understand the difference between real life and fictional characterization.

Aren't you the guy who thought his TV was talking to him? Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Hank Scorpio wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
America wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I would.

What?? You've never watched a show with a racist comment? Do you fast forward thru murder scenes too?

I watch Columbo, so I've seen a few murders. But generally, I don't watch stuff that's rated higher than PG. That's just me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 68  Next