It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 68  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
This is just an odd argument.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Welcome to the board.

No Hank. This really is an odd one. I'm worried a board admin doesn't understand the difference between real life and fictional characterization.

Aren't you the guy who thought his TV was talking to him? Just sayin'.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:57 am 

When a TV is unmuted it is generally talking to you right?

Are these the early symptoms of CTE we're seeing here JoRR?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:59 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Jbi11s wrote:

I meant you thought it was talking directly to you. Or was that your computer? Or maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
But people can be offended by anything. And based on what's happening on college campuses, they increasingly are.

A lot of people were up in arms about the various rape scenes in GoT these past few seasons. I was too, but only because the show sucks and destroyed the characterization and strayed from the books too far. But that is an argument for another thread. The point is, people were offended by language from Django Unchained and rape scenes from Game of Thrones. Yes, it is all fictionalized, but people can still be upset over something not real.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

I meant you thought it was talking directly to you. Or was that your computer? Or maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.

:lol:

That was bills thinking someone here hacked his computer to log him out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:03 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:04 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

:lol:

That was bills thinking someone here hacked his computer to log him out.

Man my first year or two here was quite a thing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
leashyourkids wrote:
RPB and I disagree occasionally on issues of race and whether a lot of the outrage is genuine.

That said, I don't think he's the target of your ire, Seacrest. He usually just states his opinion and moves on. He's not beating people over the head with it like FavreFan does.

There is no ire here.

I agree with your second point though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Anyone of any race who is offended by any racist slangs is a pussy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Oh, I usually dont say anything unless I know the person really well. Im not that keen on talking to anyone I dont know real well on any of the hot button type topics. I like to keep it lite outside of close friends. I've got a bit of the ol social anxiety.

Also, as America snarkily but correctly pointed out it's not her job to make me comfortable.

Plus I was in a different conversation listening to a cop going in on unions and how they've gotten too powerful.

Something's not right about that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:23 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
Anyone of any race who is offended by any racist slangs is a pussy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:26 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Oh, I usually dont say anything unless I know the person really well. Im not that keen on talking to anyone I dont know real well on any of the hot button type topics. I like to keep it lite outside of close friends. I've got a bit of the ol social anxiety.

Also, as America snarkily but correctly pointed out it's not her job to make me comfortable.

Plus I was in a different conversation listening to a cop going in on unions and how they've gotten too powerful.

Something's not right about that.

Go on. Which part?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
For as much as you talk about it here and not to say something to her.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:
RPB and I disagree occasionally on issues of race and whether a lot of the outrage is genuine.

That said, I don't think he's the target of your ire, Seacrest. He usually just states his opinion and moves on. He's not beating people over the head with it like FavreFan does.

I don't think you wanna compare posting history in regards to beating people over the head with political thoughts.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:01 pm 

Spaulding wrote:

Oh, ok.

I am much more argumentative on the board than in person. Id guess many of us are.

But really? What could I say? That she was making me uncomfortable? As has been said, my comfort is not her concern. Try to get her to change the opinion she has formulated over her whole life? I think when a person is choosing the places they shop based on whether black people shop there is probably too far gone to have any reasonable discussion about race.

The most I ever say in those situations is "well a jack ass is a jack ass, no matter what color they are"

Also, I don't think I talk about it that much. I respond, but rarely do I start the racial discussions around here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I don't think you wanna compare posting history in regards to beating people over the head with political thoughts.

:lol: I was just trying to get you to notice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
reminds me of the different things people mean by "white supremacy"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

tommy wrote:
reminds me of the different things people mean by "white supremacy"

What an idiotic article. Hard to believe people think like this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:07 am 

pizza_Place: Frank's Pizzeria
Hey fuckstick, you are one discarded shower drain pube from getting the White Knuckle prescription. 400 milligrams or 800 milligrams, dogmeat?

Nobody says jack about my brother from another mother, Jesse Benn, but ME. Though he just tried to one-up me with being an engaged citizen, as if I am not. I'm a Sex Offender Monitor, so you better believe I'm engaged, Chief.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:12 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

Oh, ok.

I am much more argumentative on the board than in person. Id guess many of us are.

But really? What could I say? That she was making me uncomfortable? As has been said, my comfort is not her concern. Try to get her to change the opinion she has formulated over her whole life? I think when a person is choosing the places they shop based on whether black people shop there is probably too far gone to have any reasonable discussion about race.

The most I ever say in those situations is "well a jack ass is a jack ass, no matter what color they are"

Also, I don't think I talk about it that much. I respond, but rarely do I start the racial discussions around here.
If someone is willing to use racial slurs casually in front of people they barely know then they are so racist that they just don't care and nothing you can say is going to change their mind.

Racist lady: *says racial slur*
rpb: Hey lady, not cool.
Racist lady: You're right. I'm going to stop being a racist.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:53 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If someone is willing to use racial slurs casually in front of people they barely know then they are so racist that they just don't care and nothing you can say is going to change their mind.

I think the point wouldn't be to change her thoughts but just to get her to shut up about them.

There's a larger conversation to be had here about thoughts-words-actions. I'm pretty sure we all have thoughts we don't want other people to know we have. Obviously that isn't the case when we turn those thoughts into words.

I'll give you an example. If your wife could bang any dude in the world, do you think it's you? Maybe it is and if so you're very lucky. Chances are it isn't. You don't want to get that deep into her thoughts and you probably don't want her expressing them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:56 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I think the point wouldn't be to change her thoughts but just to get her to shut up about them. There's a larger conversation to be had here about thoughts-words-actions.

Thank you.

It takes the board's biggest Trumpet to speak the obvious.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:08 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I had forgotten about this story until I was reading the board last night and didn't have time to write it from my phone. Maybe this will make you laugh and help in RPB's situation in the future.

About 15 or so years ago I was working for a company in a management position. We had a national meeting of managers and select subordinates and were in a conference room during a break in the meeting. It was a small company relatively and there were about 15 of us in the room. All of us were caucasian.

I was well known and respected by everyone. Not everyone knew my personal situation though. Anyway, some guy that was not management was going on and on with some story that I can't remember. Bitching about something or another and he drops the N word quite causally.

I was only half listening and I speak up in a very clear stern voice starting with a Hey! I had gotten everyone's attention and looked at the guy. I simply said. "My wife is black". You could have heard a pin drop and I thought the guy was either going to die or shit his pants.

I didn't wait long enough for his hemming and hawking to begin but I let him off the hook by say she really wasn't but he did not know that. I don't really remember what happened after but I thought it was a good way to handle things like that since.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:14 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think the point wouldn't be to change her thoughts but just to get her to shut up about them.

There's a larger conversation to be had here about thoughts-words-actions. I'm pretty sure we all have thoughts we don't want other people to know we have. Obviously that isn't the case when we turn those thoughts into words.

I'll give you an example. If your wife could bang any dude in the world, do you think it's you? Maybe it is and if so you're very lucky. Chances are it isn't. You don't want to get that deep into her thoughts and you probably don't want her expressing them.
I thought it was a one time comment? I think it would be different if it was a 20 minute rant.

I had a similar experience to rpb once. I was in a grass parking lot run by a local business at the Illinois State Fair and the driver asked "Will there be room for the big car we are driving in?" and the guy responded "Yeah, a (slur) car just got through too". The fact that he was willing to use this type of language with someone he didn't even know was quite shocking but all we did was leave with no reaction. Did Seacrest expect us to give him a lecture? Would that change his mind?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:14 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
I had forgotten about this story until I was reading the board last night and didn't have time to write it from my phone. Maybe this will make you laugh and help in RPB's situation in the future.

About 15 or so years ago I was working for a company in a management position. We had a national meeting of managers and select subordinates and were in a conference room during a break in the meeting. It was a small company relatively and there were about 15 of us in the room. All of us were caucasian.

I was well known and respected by everyone. Not everyone knew my personal situation though. Anyway, some guy that was not management was going on and on with some story that I can't remember. Bitching about something or another and he drops the N word quite causally.

I was only half listening and I speak up in a very clear stern voice starting with a Hey! I had gotten everyone's attention and looked at the guy. I simply said. "My wife is black". You could have heard a pin drop and I thought the guy was either going to die or shit his pants.

I didn't wait long enough for his hemming and hawking to begin but I let him off the hook by say she really wasn't but he did not know that. I don't really remember what happened after but I thought it was a good way to handle things like that since.

Mom, we're half negro?

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:59 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

There's a larger conversation to be had here about thoughts-words-actions.

You're in a conversation with 2 men, this occurs in the conversation behind you with a few women. You met the women 10 minutes earlier and there's a good chance you'll never see her again, do you turn around and say something?

I think it would be come off across pretty nuts personally.

People have used the word offended. That doesnt really fit. I dont gasp in horror. I just hear it and have the thought (oh, they're a dumbfuck. Wont be associating with them going forward) and move on.

I dont think you can reasonably fight every battle like that. I hear way too much ignorant stuff. I'd have no time to even post here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:00 am 

pittmike wrote:

My girlfriend was there (not black) but that's a pretty good thought.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:01 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
pittmike wrote:

There's always the next Mrs. PittMike! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
denisdman wrote:
pittmike wrote:

There's always the next Mrs. PittMike! :)

Not sure about that. :lol:

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:09 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I had a similar experience to rpb once. I was in a grass parking lot run by a local business at the Illinois State Fair and the driver asked "Will there be room for the big car we are driving in?" and the guy responded "Yeah, a (slur) car just got through too". The fact that he was willing to use this type of language with someone he didn't even know was quite shocking but all we did was leave with no reaction. Did Seacrest expect us to give him a lecture? Would that change his mind?

You should have pulled over and explained to that carny that you don't care for his bigoted language. Any person who actually thinks racism is a problem would have.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2039 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 68  Next