It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hanley Out!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Tad Queasy wrote:
I rarely listen to Mully and Hanley, and the reason is not Hanley. As far I know Mulligan isn't a dick to callers, is reasonably knowledgeable about sports (doesn't think Buster Posey plays 2nd base or that the Bulls could face the Pelicans in the Eastern Conference playoffs), and doesn't suffer from delusions of grandeur like Leery, but he is an absolutely horrible radio host.

Hanley makes some lame jokes, but he's a decent radio host (he's kind of like Hub minus the smarm and nervous giggling) and doesn't make me PTFB like Mully does.

When Mully asks questions, I'm like

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:41 pm 

billypootons wrote:
with haugh.... Decastro will soon have almost all of the GAME radio hosts back on WSCR.... well, I can think of one probably not getting invited back to a decastro managed station:

Looks like the guy asking for money at 79th & Cicero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

What the hell is Finfer doing now? Anybody know?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Beardown wrote:
What the hell is Finfer doing now? Anybody know?

Being a SJW on twitter?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
good dolphin wrote:
How old is Hanley?

Out of anyone who has been fired, this one was the most undeserved. I'm no huge fan of Hanley but that show was like the bedrock of the Score. You could always count on them to beat ESPN. I think people take that for granted. There was a time for about the first 15 years where mornings were a dead zone at the station

I can't argue with the ratings, but I think the problem of the show is that it didn't change with the times. If you think back 10 years ago, it was like a breath of fresh air compared with the shows around it: North and Huebner, Hamp and Holmes, Murph, etc. It doesn't feel like a breath of fresh air now. I think the format has gotten more sophisticated over the lest decade and the show hasn't.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:52 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Never listened. what are they doing now? making a new show or getting a new co host?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
HawaiiYou wrote:
Never listened. what are they doing now? making a new show or getting a new co host?

Hawaiiyou will be taking over the "in the wake of news" column for haugh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:34 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Too bad. I’ve always liked Hanley. I know the show was too vanilla for some but, I thought it was perfect for morning sports talk. The consistent ratings agreed.

Much like McDoink, Haugh does not excite me one bit. Grote would add much more to the show, imo. He has a personality, unlike Haugh. RIP Mully and Hanley.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:39 am 

I listen to this show on the way to work and only thing that stood out to me was the Vegas guy they had on Friday mornings during football season who gave terrible advice and bad picks.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:21 pm 

I didn't listen to the show much either but of the two I definitely liked Hanley better than Mulligan. The producer also used to drive me nuts. Like why is he talking so much?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:25 pm 

BigJ52 wrote:
I didn't listen to the show much either but of the two I definitely liked Hanley better than Mulligan. The producer also used to drive me nuts. Like why is he talking so much?

Yeah Dustin Rhodes (not Goldust) is annoying as hell. Its become his bit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
How old is Hanley?

Out of anyone who has been fired, this one was the most undeserved. I'm no huge fan of Hanley but that show was like the bedrock of the Score. You could always count on them to beat ESPN. I think people take that for granted. There was a time for about the first 15 years where mornings were a dead zone at the station

I can't argue with the ratings, but I think the problem of the show is that it didn't change with the times. If you think back 10 years ago, it was like a breath of fresh air compared with the shows around it: North and Huebner, Hamp and Holmes, Murph, etc. It doesn't feel like a breath of fresh air now. I think the format has gotten more sophisticated over the lest decade and the show hasn't.

It was a breath of fresh air only in that North's morning show was a general topics disaster. M and H were a stabilizer and have been their entire existence. There was never anything compelling you to listen, just nothing compelling you to turn away as North's show had done.

They are good for a morning show. Give the facts with relatively little editorial and let me ease on into my work day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
good dolphin wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
How old is Hanley?

It was a breath of fresh air only in that North's morning show was a general topics disaster. M and H were a stabilizer and have been their entire existence. There was never anything compelling you to listen, just nothing compelling you to turn away as North's show had done.

They are good for a morning show. Give the facts with relatively little editorial and let me ease on into my work day.

I think your sentiments capture why the show enjoyed good ratings. It was more or less pure vanilla, which is not a bad flavor for the morning drive. I just think it's not too much to ask to have two hosts that can string together a couple of sentences without tripping all over themselves, or who can give me some analysis and insight (from their experience as reporters) into what's going on. For instance, I think someone like Haugh and someone like McKnight would be a good pairing in the morning. With those two, you're not going to get Bernstein style yelling at callers or Goff style self-righteousness. You'll get two guys who are capable of speaking and analysis as well as two guys who have some experience covering a team or a sport.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Funny how a "vanilla" show like Waddle and Silvy or the former Mike and Mike, each with a polished host capable of speaking clearly and asking good questions paired with a former player with real-game insight are such crappy shows to most of the posters here, but the "vanilla" Hanley and stammering idiot Mulligan were just the thing for the morning drive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:16 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Yeah, I guess it is funny.

When I listen to Mully & Hanley, I go into it thinking "hm, they will talk about sports from last night." That's about it and they deliver. Something to be said for that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
CH....that is exactly it.

I don't want over the top craziness in the morning. I'm tired, drinking my coffee, and gearing myself up for work. Give me the info...have some guests...don't be assholes. It's a pretty simple formula.

While M&H have accomplished that and it shows....doesn't mean it couldn't be done better. It sure as hell could. Quite honestly....If you looked at the current 670 roster....I'd put Larry and McDoink on the morning drive. Both aren't overly interesting but they can speak and interview guests.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:13 am 

I might take pipe for this but I think Sir would be a good morning host.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
good dolphin wrote:

Probably right actually.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
CH is correct in how the M&H show functions daily. Because of that, I find myself only listening when the Cubs win because I hate to hear them lament losses. One thing I noticed over the years, is they tend to get overly optimistic or pessimistic based on the last game or two. Their high/lows annoy me, but I guess that is the nature of daily sports talk.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
denisdman wrote:
CH is correct in how the M&H show functions daily. Because of that, I find myself only listening when the Cubs win because I hate to hear them lament losses. One thing I noticed over the years, is they tend to get overly optimistic or pessimistic based on the last game or two. Their high/lows annoy me, but I guess that is the nature of daily sports talk.

That really is sports talk though. The daily grind of even a successful baseball season can be tedious from that perspective.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I only have about an 8 minute commute or so but this week has been filled with rehashing bad Sox baseball and rebuilding.
I like the guys, but there are a lot of times I am thankful I only have to listen to 10 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Curious Hair wrote:
When I listen to Mully & Hanley, I go into it thinking "hm, they will talk about sports from last night." That's about it and they deliver. Something to be said for that.

Yep.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:47 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:

Now might not be the best time to remind us what a "great"education you received.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:46 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yep.

The ratings show this is exactly what the consumer wants. M&h would be even bigger when the zombie apocaplyse happens

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
So is Hanley just fading away this week? No big going away show, given that he's the other Score original who never strayed to another station?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

I guess when you get fired, you don't get a tribute week or show.

Plus if you're Hanley, do you really want it knowing that you're being fired?

If you think about it, Terry is the only one that got a nice send off because he retired on his terms. So it was an easy thing to do. North and Murphy got nothing. Mac got nothing twice. Maybe the 3rd time he'll get a tribute.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:48 am 
1000 CLUB

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
So is Hanley just fading away this week? No big going away show, given that he's the other Score original who never strayed to another station?

I thought he went to MVP for a few years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:52 am 

maybe part time weekday late night host and weekend host and update anchor Julie DiCaro will now be in position to eulogize Hanley's career?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
billypootons wrote:
maybe part time weekday late night host and weekend host and update anchor Julie DiCaro will now be in position to eulogize Hanley's career?

I just don't know why people keep saying, I buy twitter followers! I mean, I tweeted my twitter account was being spammed!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:10 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:

He isn't going away based on what I read. He will fill in on weekends and other odd times, probably until his contract expires or has so little amount of
time on it that they feel they can buy him out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next