It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hanley Out!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
my name's david, i do twice as much work for half of what hanley made. i also throw grass in the air and write a daily column indicating which direction it flew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:03 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
denisdman wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Anyone hear the Vikings announcer Paul Allen on this morning? He asked, "what the hell happened to Hanley?" Allen mentioned that he hoped Hanley hit it big at the track and told the Score to shove it. Allen then asked Haugh who he was and what his first name was. Haugh was super dejected when answering.

Allen talked about Hanley again later in the segment, and Mulligan immediately ended it without saying goodbye and started talking about the Bears-Vikings game as if nothing had happened.

I almost posted it. Too funny and very awkward.

It really was quite excellent. Kinda low-class to edit something like that out. That said, my first guess as to who had it edited out wouldn't be Haugh but Management (theirs, not ours).

You think management would have it edited out that quickly without one of the hosts being pissed about it?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
They even took about the part where Allen asked his first name? (Can't listen at the moment.) You could tell Haugh was annoyed.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Don Tiny wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Anyone hear the Vikings announcer Paul Allen on this morning? He asked, "what the hell happened to Hanley?" Allen mentioned that he hoped Hanley hit it big at the track and told the Score to shove it. Allen then asked Haugh who he was and what his first name was. Haugh was super dejected when answering.

Allen talked about Hanley again later in the segment, and Mulligan immediately ended it without saying goodbye and started talking about the Bears-Vikings game as if nothing had happened.

It really was quite excellent. Kinda low-class to edit something like that out. That said, my first guess as to who had it edited out wouldn't be Haugh but Management (theirs, not ours).

Yet they have no problem playing audio of other people in the media’s awkward moments . They’re all sensitive bitches and I’m even giving Haugh the benefit of the doubt that he didn’t order or want it scrubbed . That’s all Mitch or that idiot Rhodes.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
badrogue17 wrote:
Yet they have no problem playing audio of other people in the media’s awkward moments . They’re all sensitive bitches and I’m even giving Haugh the benefit of the doubt that he didn’t order or want it scrubbed . That’s all Mitch or that idiot Rhodes.

This has always been the case. Any legal or embarrassing matter by a athlete or otherwise know person big or small it is a huge story to be trumpeted and beaten to death. Someone at the station or their pal not so much. Earliest example I remember was North's DUI compared to Ditka's.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Paul Allen is the goods.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
RFDC wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
denisdman wrote:

You think management would have it edited out that quickly without one of the hosts being pissed about it?

I mean, they did a hatchet job on Hanley so I would imagine they wouldn't want anything to potentially re-open the wound for listeners who bristled about it at the time ... ideally, they just want it thrown down the memory hole never to be thought or spoken of again. Just my guess ... maybe it's some combo of all three parties (Rhodes, Haugh, Mgmt). Who knows.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
denisdman wrote:
RFDC wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Post the link when it's up

https://670thescore.radio.com/audio-cha ... s/episodes

I listened and unless I just completely missed it I did not hear anything like that?

I just listened. I think they cut it out. And it is seamless.

Someone call into Can't Do It with this question.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Jbi11s wrote:
Paul Allen is the goods.

Agree 100%. He is a red ass.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Heard this live. Holy cannoli, the word "awkward" doesn't begin to describe this exchange!

Didn't listen to podcast but Mulli was tripping over himself trying to keep it from going REALLY bad, Allen was blatantly pointed and Haugh couldn't have sounded more offended.

I can't believe that all made it over the air.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
badrogue17 wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Be sure to tune in to Bernstein and McKnight and also McNeil and Parkins to hear them, for some reason, play inane clips of Mike Francesa and pretend like it's interesting, funny, or that anyone in this market cares!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:57 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Be sure to tune in to Bernstein and McKnight and also McNeil and Parkins to hear them, for some reason, play inane clips of Mike Francesa and pretend like it's interesting, funny, or that anyone in this market cares!

I absolutely care and find the Francesa stuff hilarious. I even posted it in the Best of Twitter thread!

But you DO have a point.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:53 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Everyone has always made fun of Francesa but Deadspin's been doing it with extra fervor because he came back out of retirement to displace a woman and a black guy who had taken over his shift. Kinda surprised Entercom, which now owns WFAN along with the Score, doesn't tell them to cut it out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:52 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Everyone has always made fun of Francesa but Deadspin's been doing it with extra fervor because he came back out of retirement to displace a woman and a black guy who had taken over his shift. Kinda surprised Entercom, which now owns WFAN along with the Score, doesn't tell them to cut it out.

Was the show that replaced him tanking in the ratings?

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:58 pm 

I don't remember, but ratings were probably down. I know the early reviews of Maggie Gray with Bart Scott were not favorable at all and it was only once Francesa Jay-Lenoed his way back in that everyone rushed to their aid.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:00 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I don't remember, but ratings were probably down. I know the early reviews of Maggie Gray with Bart Scott were not favorable at all and it was only once Francesa Jay-Lenoed his way back in that everyone rushed to their aid.

Yep. If you dis the WNBA there will be dozens of stories. But actually cover the games? No way.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:22 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
Don Tiny wrote:
I mean, they did a hatchet job on Hanley

What was the hatchet job?

Only thing I ever wondered about Hanley is if he and Thayer ever fucked.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: aurelios
I heard Thayer "takes it in the seat" but never heard any rumors about Hanley.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
rogar6 wrote:

Heard something here a while back, a Feder article referenced how good of an "uncle" he is, whatever that means, and the dude is in much too good of shape for a Chicagoan of his age.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Barracos
Does anyone know if Brian's last day on the Score was his actual last day of his contract?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
rogar6 wrote:

I am pretty sure Steve Dahl had a story about Thayer banging his kids nanny in Hawaii.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I absolutely care and find the Francesa stuff hilarious. I even posted it in the Best of Twitter thread!

But you DO have a point.

The interesting thing (to me at least) is that WEEI in Boston--which is also owned by Entercomm--also frequently plays the same clips of Francesa, who is an evident source of amusement for the station's prime time hosts.

I don't think this overlap is coincidental. There's definitely some kind of overarching branding/promotional strategy at work here, although it's likely not functioning in precisely the way the corporate overlords intended.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
A lot of the Francesa stuff getting replayed on the radio just strikes me as company trying to jump on a trend years after the fact, like "See, don't you cool young kids find it hilarious to laugh at this old goof?". The first FrancesaCon was almost 5 years ago now.

The alternate theory though could just be Deadspin upping their Francesa content and hosts in all of these markets being even more dependent on them and similar sites now for things to talk about. That could definitely explain it for Bernstein at least.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:01 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
The interesting thing (to me at least) is that WEEI in Boston--which is also owned by Entercomm--also frequently plays the same clips of Francesa, who is an evident source of amusement for the station's prime time hosts.

I don't think this overlap is coincidental. There's definitely some kind of overarching branding/promotional strategy at work here, although it's likely not functioning in precisely the way the corporate overlords intended.

C-B-S SPORTS RA-DI-O!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:25 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
doug - evergreen park wrote:
rogar6 wrote:

I am pretty sure Steve Dahl had a story about Thayer banging his kids nanny in Hawaii.
Yeah, but the nanny's name was Russell.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:29 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
The alternate theory though could just be Deadspin upping their Francesa content and hosts in all of these markets being even more dependent on them and similar sites now for things to talk about. That could definitely explain it for Bernstein at least.

Yeah, Deadspin has been making fun of Francesa for years, but it was only once he displaced a black guy and a woman that it really got personal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Yeah, Deadspin has been making fun of Francesa for years, but it was only once he displaced a black guy and a woman that it really got personal.

Does Fels work there ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
With all the holiday fill in shifts that are available, I wonder if Brian was even considered?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
I'm guessing he wants no part of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Mulli called haugh brian to start the 6am hour and quickly corrected himself... never forget your special bond with brian Illum

Haugh unphased then started talking about how the bears RT position was a real liability at times last season but immediately followed with saying he was pleased that there will be continuity on the O line now that massie is signed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next