It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:26 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
And when did I become stupid?

Mr. Holmes has spent the better part of 20 minutes telling the audience how stupid we are regarding the Bulls and our expectations. However, it seems he's been right all along.

It's Dan Bernstein Jr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:35 am 
1000 CLUB

Last edited by Beardown on Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:36 am 
1000 CLUB

LOL. See Douchebag section. I noticed the complete Bernsie rip off too.

"They're not a high school team."

"Who cares if they are nice guys."

"I told you the East was better."

"You've seen Bulls titles. You should know better."

All of the above are exact Bernsie lines. Larry is so shameless.

Larry has that patronizing voice. He's trying to get a reaction. It's not even subtle. He sounds like a jack ass.

Everybody isn't as dumb as he's claiming. We all know what's going on with the Bulls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:42 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
I don't understand taking the approach of "you're all stupid, I knew what was happening" that some of these guys take.

Not everything has to be an original idea. I think a host can acknowledge that there was a line of thinking out there that many people believed and he agreed with it.

I understand the need to be controversial and stir up discussion but it gets tired, especially when you have a few guys at the station doing it.

I find it more at the Score than 1000. They do it enough to make you feel like everyone that listens to the Score is a meatball, so I must be a meatball for listening to the Score too. So, I don't (very often).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:49 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Giordano's (Stuffed)
It's more of an "you just don't know any better" type thing that WSCR instills on its listeners. That along with a few basic other things I notice is why WSCR comes across more like an amateur station over 'MVP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Bernstein started it, and its emulated by Holmes, Abbatacola and Goff. Paruch is one of the newer guys that doesn't seem to use this approach. Which is why some people pegged him as The Most Improved/Rookie of the Year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

I don't mind that approach all of the time. I understand that these guys can agree with Bernsie. Bernsie is logical. I just find it amazing when Larry rips off his exact lines or phrases.

I don't know if I'm putting this correctly but they also have ripped off Bernsie's style, mannerisms, and cadence. Nobody has done this more than Larry. Goff and Drinky are guilty of this to a smaller degree.

They all treat that "meatball caller" opinion like it's the consensus of the Chicago sports fan. I guess it gives them programing cuz they comment on stupid callers at great length. Yes, they get the stupid, but it is the minority.

Bernsie started this trend and, my God, did the back ups jump on it. I'll accept it from Bernsie more than the others because he is the original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:02 am 

Holmes is a bitch, Bernstein's bitch to be exact. He would never take that attitude with Dan, Terry, North or his partner, he does it with the callers because he can hang up on them when he starts to lose his argument.

Laurence likes to compare himself to Dan when he was a reporter, problem is, Dan didnt want to be the Bears or Bulls buddy, Laurence wants to be and he takes every chance he can to let you know he hangs out with a few, which makes him bad at what he does, because he is letting his personal feelings get in the way of facts. I wish Dan or Terry would call him out on it.

Holmes will be out of a job once Mitch is gone, because that is the only reason he has a gig still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:58 am 
1000 CLUB

What those hosts seem to do is take one opinion (or a handful of opinions) that are rather crazy, and turn it into 'Bulls fans believe' this when they only took a call from 0.001% of all fans out there.

As Beardown mentined, Holmes does this for reaction. Maybe it works becausse it irriates me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:17 am 

To be fair to Laurence (and to keep my thoughts in one thread) I didn't say he sucked. He does know sports, certainly enough to host a show. But, I don't find him entertaining. I don't like his style as I find it derivative of Bernstein. To say he "sucks" is too easy and I have specific complaints.

1. He uses the strawman argument thing that I talked about before way too much in a kind of Bernsie Jr. ripoff.

2. He sides too much and too quickly with players. As in the Briggs discussion yesterday when he talked about "looking in Briggs' eyes" to know the real answer to whether he was injured or something.

3. He dismisses callers and their points too quickly, although I think this is a problem with many of the Score hosts.

I thought it was interesting that Holmes took a call yesterday from a guy that thought that the Skiles firing might be a prelude to the Bulls getting Kobe. Holmes thought the guy was insane (I agree with that). But, Bernsie took a call, might have been the same guy, made the same point and Bernsie told him he liked his angle, thought it was interesting. So, maybe I'm being too hard on Larry but I doubt he cares what I think anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I thought it was interesting that Holmes took a call yesterday from a guy that thought that the Skiles firing might be a prelude to the Bulls getting Kobe. Holmes thought the guy was insane (I agree with that). But, Bernsie took a call, might have been the same guy, made the same point and Bernsie told him he liked his angle, thought it was interesting.

Agree Good Doctor. I thought the same thing when I heard this yesterday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:47 am 

Yeah, I really expected Bernstein to rip into the caller for that. I think the national (pre)show altered him into a softer and cuddlier Danny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

I remember Holmes during the late baseball season of 2005 (I think August), belittling callers who said they felt the Sox were in the better position of the two Chicago clubs. Let the little prick yell - what a POS. It seems he's rubbing off on Goff, though (based on Goff's solo Bears postgame a few weeks ago).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I can't believe no one has answered Doc's question with this:

Because he's so damn short...

Post subject: Dr. John
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:11 pm 

Why is that the only profession in the world that feels the need to put their "title" in their everyday name is doctors? What an ego trip. Union Cabinetmaker John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:15 pm 

I was going to register as His Worship Kenneth Noisewater but thought that might be a bit pretentious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:00 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I was going to register as His Worship Kenneth Noisewater but thought that might be a bit pretentious.

Not pretentious but a bit long.