It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:05 pm 

Location: A little town called none of your god-damned business
I hope so. Greenstein writes about it in today's Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs ... 1101.story

The morning drive would be a lot more enjoyable. There would probably be a lot less road rage all over the area as Nort pisses off enough people with his self-centered bloviating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:20 pm 

Hey Luis - go over to the North section

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

They are my choice. I didnt think they'd want it because they cover local sports (at night) for their papers. This must have some legs thought because you would think they would have told someone that they were not interested by now. Bet theres a deal on the table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
I don't see how they would be able to work both jobs. And are they really ready to give up the papers to do morning radio full time? I'll say we get the Murph & Mulli show in the morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
As much as I want 670 "The SCORE" to have Laurence Holmes, Matt Abbatacola & Brian "The Whipping Boy" Paruch wake up Chicago sports fans weekday mornings, I'm not sure how much longer Mike Mulligan & Brian Hanley will have jobs at the Sun-Times. The Sun-Times has been struggling to stay afloat financially, and like many businesses, they've been cutting back left & right as the Internet has become a growing source for news & sports. I'm NOT starting a rumor, but I'll be shocked if "Mulli & Hanley" will be able to continue talking sports on "The SCORE" and continue writing if they replace Mike North in morning drive. One thing is for sure..."Mulli's" got energy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:10 am 

Mully and Hanley will do a great job in the morning drive slot. The additional time is going to let these guys show what they can do. Their 10-12 slot, after North's overtime and the way commercials are stacked, never really lets them take off. It is my favorite show on the Score but I always feel like they are just getting started when their show is over. Then the insufferable Murph comes on and I have to switch the dial.

I think 6-10 will be easier for these guys than 10-12 given their Sun-Times commitments. They are always talking about running up to practice after the show. Getting out at 10 will be better than getting out at 12.

This actually makes a ton of sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

These guys are good, and it would be refreshing to have a pair of hosts interested in talking sports. What a concept.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:30 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
SHARK wrote:
As much as I want 670 "The SCORE" to have Laurence Holmes, Matt Abbatacola & Brian "The Whipping Boy" Paruch wake up Chicago sports fans weekday mornings, I'm not sure how much longer Mike Mulligan & Brian Hanley will have jobs at the Sun-Times. The Sun-Times has been struggling to stay afloat financially, and like many businesses, they've been cutting back left & right as the Internet has become a growing source for news & sports. I'm NOT starting a rumor, but I'll be shocked if "Mulli & Hanley" will be able to continue talking sports on "The SCORE" and continue writing if they replace Mike North in morning drive. One thing is for sure..."Mulli's" got energy!

I agree with you. Frankly, with their current show absorbing time they could spend at the practice field, I don't know how they do it now. Plus there's a lot of travel involved with the Bulls' season.

Sun Times is imploding some, and I see Zell is wanting the Trib to shrink as well. Toss some of the less-productive columnist, for example. Wonder what that means for the Rosenblog....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:25 am 

Hanley never has been compensated fairly by the Score. He has been a loyal, trustworthy performer there since the station was born. Mulligan, I suspect, isn't breaking the bank, either. And he and Hans make for a nice combination.

I'd like to be their agent. I'd DEMAND a half-million for each of them to take over in mornings. I'm happy for both guys.... both good guys who are much warmer than every other host on the Score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:32 am 
1000 CLUB

Mac wrote:
Hanley never has been compensated fairly by the Score. He has been a loyal, trustworthy performer there since the station was born. Mulligan, I suspect, isn't breaking the bank, either. And he and Hans make for a nice combination.

I'd like to be their agent. I'd DEMAND a half-million for each of them to take over in mornings. I'm happy for both guys.... both good guys who are much warmer than every other host on the Score.

I hope it works out for them. Hanley I thought should have been given a permanent berth there years ago.

It's interesting because I once called Goose, and because I have a soft voice and am also a Brian, he took the call. Gave him a rundown of all the shows and what he could do to improve them! Should've sent a bill!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:56 am 

Mac wrote:
I'd like to be their agent.

So are you Jerry McGuire or Ari Gold?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Mac wrote:
Hanley never has been compensated fairly by the Score. He has been a loyal, trustworthy performer there since the station was born.

I've can still remember the theme song to the "McNeil and Hanley" show from the early days of WSCR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:36 pm 

After further review, it would be very interesting & entertaining to hear the always energetic Mike Mulligan & Brian Hanley in morning drive if it means telling Mike North to get lost! Anyone other than that three dollar bill in morning drive would be an upgrade in my opinion! In fact, I think 670 "The SCORE" needs to get on the horn and make the decision concerning whether "Mully & Hanley" or anyone else on the WSCR roster will take over morning drive. If the two Sun-Times sportswriters do take over mornings, I wonder if a LIVE, syndicated Dan Patrick show would follow...As far as I know, Dan's show airs LIVE from 9a-Noon, depending on the station that carries it. Then again, it would be something 670 "The SCORE" has never done in its history during weekdays, air syndicated sports talk instead of local programming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:29 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Mac wrote:
Hanley never has been compensated fairly by the Score. He has been a loyal, trustworthy performer there since the station was born.

I've can still remember the theme song to the "McNeil and Hanley" show from the early days of WSCR.

A take off on the Addams Family theme song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

mulley and Handley will beat Mike and Mike within a couple of ratings books. Sorry Dolphin but their show is better than Norths because they are smarter and their show is better than B+B because hey are likeable and hey spend less time giggling like little school girls.

I hope score management makes the move. i like many others will lisen and enjoy Sports Radio in the morning again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:33 pm 

670 "The SCORE" has no place to go but up in morning drive. Regardless if "Mully & Hanley" or if a couple of the "Young SCORE Guys" take over the dying Mike North show, I think it's an uphill climb. In the Arbitron ratings over the years, neither Mike Murphy nor North have been able to beat ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike", regardless of the fact Greenberg & Golic have a simulcast on ESPN2, and in HD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Giordano's (Stuffed)
Shark, I enjoy your posts, but how come you insists upon referring to The Score always as 670 "THE SCORE." I notice it each and every time. Perhaps, I'm missing something.

Need not be so formal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:59 pm 

Mully and Hanley would double North's ratings. This is the way for the Score to go and something tells me Mitch and Rod will figure this one out. M&H's ratings have been great and they are infinitely easier to listen to and, from managment's perspective, deal with. North's time is finally over and he has burned too many bridges this time. Every morning when I hop in the car now I expect to hear M&H instead of North, then I hear North and am bummed for a bit before I change the station. July 1 is coming and he may last that long, but no longer. A new day is dawning. It just feels that way...we will see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Ya great radio! Maybe they can replay the Stone interview in the 11:00
hour!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:20 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I was so confused this morning, I thought I overslept...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:23 am 
1000 CLUB

SHARK wrote:
As much as I want 670 "The SCORE" to have Laurence Holmes, Matt Abbatacola & Brian "The Whipping Boy" Paruch wake up Chicago sports fans weekday mornings

What business do you work in? Would your business put three young, comparatively unproven and inexperienced people in such positions of responsbility? Tell me some businesses...any businesses...that have done that and how that worked out for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:32 am 
1000 CLUB

Why not give M&H the morning slot then and give the new guys the old M&H spot from 10-12 to hone their skills? It would be a perfectly fine show especially for just 2 hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

That would make more sense, Hawkeye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:25 pm 

Mac wrote:
I'd like to be their agent. I'd DEMAND a half-million for each of them to take over in mornings. I'm happy for both guys.

Does this mean you know something we don't? I still say--unfortunately--it's not over 'til it's over. As the TG story pointed out, both Dan & Terry went through a similar "off the air" period before they finalized things and came back in all their glory. He ain't officially out of here yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

Pappy's Crappy wrote:
Mac wrote:
I'd like to be their agent. I'd DEMAND a half-million for each of them to take over in mornings. I'm happy for both guys.

Does this mean you know something we don't? I still say--unfortunately--it's not over 'til it's over. As the TG story pointed out, both Dan & Terry went through a similar "off the air" period before they finalized things and came back in all their glory. He ain't officially out of here yet.

True. And people were clamoring their return and calling management douche bags. I see little clamoring yet, and think Mitch will be DBed if he brings North back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:46 pm 

Coast2Coast wrote:
Would your business put three young, comparatively unproven and inexperienced people in such positions of responsbility? Tell me some businesses...any businesses...that have done that and how that worked out for them.

Not quite a formal business...per se, but how about the U. of Michigan men's basketball program...OK...for awhile? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Sorry guys but put me down as one of those guys who don't care for Mike Mulligan on the radio. I just don't get all of the yelling, and the my giddy aunt stuff. Like I said a few years back during the Rick Telander Show with Buffone and Mulligan :roll: :lol: he sounds like Kevin James as the King of Queens on radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

You know what, spmack, I had not heard Mully in a while, but I did today and he didn't scream once that I heard. :lol: I don't know whether Mully will ever scream again or not, but the show I heard today was a much better one than I heard from him a few years ago.

I have a few similar negative impressions about some other guys on the radio to whom I rarely listen. I heard one recently and he didn't sound nearly as uninformed and immature as he did the last time I heard him. I'd at least give him another chance based on what I heard recently.

I guess my point is that people do learn and grow in their jobs. Or the smart ones do anyway.

At least Mully does a normal talk show. There are no nonsensical political musings, no focus solely on just one sport, and no insulting callers. That alone is an achievement for the Score.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

spmack wrote:
Sorry guys but put me down as one of those guys who don't care for Mike Mulligan on the radio. I just don't get all of the yelling, and the my giddy aunt stuff. Like I said a few years back during the Rick Telander Show with Buffone and Mulligan :roll: :lol: he sounds like Kevin James as the King of Queens on radio.

One day of heaven, and already with the Giddy Aunt! Maybe it was just my head hurting less, but I enjoyed today's Score morning experience (tm)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:51 pm 

spmack wrote:

He can say "my giddy aunt" 10,000,000 times if it means I don't have to hear anymore, "Hey, here's Jen wit da news. Ain't she as cute as a button? OK, honey, now tell us who got inta da Rock n' Roll Hall Uh Fame so's I can tell ya how Connie Francis could sing rings around dem any day uh da week."