It is currently Fri May 31, 2024 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dustin Rhodes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:13 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
Oy vey. :roll:

"I'm all for second chances, but I am sick and tired of watching Michael Vick succeed and make millions of dollars. He doesn't deserve to have good things happen to him."

Post subject: Re: Dustin Rhodes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein

:?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:14 am 
1000 CLUB

sjboyd0137 wrote:

:?

Yeah, I couldn't get the wrestler of the same name out of my head either.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Meh. If SHAKE THAT is jr. Bernstein, Rhodes is trying to be Pee-Wee Bernstein.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:37 am 
1000 CLUB

I found myself in a very odd position this morning: actually agreeing with Mully as he offered his response to Rhodes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Dustin Rhodes has some very misguided sports opinions, as the couple of times that I've heard him he seems to like to take the contrarian viewpoint, regardless of how silly his premise is. He wants to be the "outlaw" thinker, but his arguments are just stupid. Like when he felt the NFL should not have played games on September 11th. He didn't back that stance up with any real reasoning other than basically saying, "Because that's the way I feel." That's called a bad host.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:46 am 

Killer V wrote:
Meh. If SHAKE THAT is jr. Bernstein, Rhodes is trying to be Pee-Wee Bernstein.

Oh yeah, I was gonna write about that. And the other older sounding producer or whoever was chiming in was Boers.

total Mini B and B.

High pitched worked up young guy making grand proclamations speaking in condescending tones and old guy chiming in with useless random observations.

Dustin: Paterno is disgusting. Everyone should root against Penn State

other producer: Well, ya know college football is dirty, but this...this is something else.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:47 am 

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
Dustin Rhodes has some very misguided sports opinions, as the couple of times that I've heard him he seems to like to take the contrarian viewpoint, regardless of how silly his premise is. He wants to be the "outlaw" thinker, but his arguments are just stupid. Like when he felt the NFL should not have played games on September 11th. He didn't back that stance up with any real reasoning other than basically saying, "Because that's the way I feel." That's called a bad host.

He's at least memorable and sets himself apart. Ive only heard him today though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
I'm very disappointed with the lack of Drop In posting "... if you weee-ill ...".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:26 am 

He is easily the worst host I have ever heard the Score trot out there. He is tryign to be controversial but has zero radio timing and literally cannot read a room.

Making stupid, off-the-wall comments is one thing. All hosts do it. But with Rhodes, he has no verbal control and just says stupid things. That is a dangerous thing in radio. Bernsie is a tool, and loves to take the opposite view, but at least he has control of what he says.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
rogers park bryan wrote:

He's at least memorable and sets himself apart. Ive only heard him today though.

And Hanley sets himself apart with his terrible sense of humor. Setting yourself apart doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot if you suck...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:33 am 
1000 CLUB

Quadrophenia wrote:
He is easily the worst host I have ever heard the Score trot out there. He is tryign to be controversial but has zero radio timing and literally cannot read a room.

Making stupid, off-the-wall comments is one thing. All hosts do it. But with Rhodes, he has no verbal control and just says stupid things. That is a dangerous thing in radio. Bernsie is a tool, and loves to take the opposite view, but at least he has control of what he says.

All good points. I understand the point of trying to generate discussion on a radio show by making statements that you may or may not actually believe. But then, as you point out, there are off-the-wall comments that are obviously meant to spark a negative backlash.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:13 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

And Hanley sets himself apart with his terrible sense of humor. Setting yourself apart doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot if you suck...

Well what i heard this morning wasnt bad. But there is definitely an issue at the score of a lot of these fill ins sounding the same. Similiar voice, similiar cadence.

Its good that he's at least recognizable.

EDIT: In fact what i heard was good. He was rightfully taking Mulligan to school because Mulligan kept backing up Paterno. Acting as if telling the AD was sufficient. Dude was passionate. I liked it.

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I heard that Vick "No big money/ 2nd chance" diatribe this morning. I thought it was refreshing to hear a sports radio voice that wasn't part of the sheep. I understand what he was trying to say,but Vick was a man who did his time and hopefully learned a lesson. Let's face it for some,the more money they make (anybody,not just athletes),the more they get removed from reality.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:59 pm 

Just my opinion, but a white dogfighting athlete wouldn't be villified by the general public nearly as much as Vick has been and continues to be. No one will ever get me to not believe that.

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

Just my opinion, but a white dogfighting athlete wouldn't be villified by the general public nearly as much as Vick has been and continues to be. No one will ever get me to not believe that.

I don't know if I can agree with that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Quadrophenia wrote:

Rhodes wanting Vick to fail isn't exactly a controversial position. There are many people who root against Vick & want to see him fail.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:04 pm 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:

I don't know if I can agree with that.

I know that I can...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:04 pm 

I dont wanna get you to believe that. But I dont care for that sentence. It seems to imply you are stubborn beyond reason.

I dont know what a white athlete would be viewed like. Not well. The thing is Vick is really good. That matters too. If he were a backup gimmick guy, there would be less hate.

Roethlisberger is vilified but not enough. I think id tend to agree. Ive been surprised with how little Roethlisberger has been targeted.

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:05 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Roethlisberger is pretty vilified. Diffferent situation but...

Not nearly as much anymore. And there was evidence that he sexually assaulted actual human beings. Is what it is...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:06 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Roethlisberger is pretty vilified. Diffferent situation but...

Not nearly as much anymore. And there was evidence that he sexually assaulted actual human beings. Is what it is...

yeah I added on to that thought.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:08 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

I dont wanna get you to believe that. But I dont care for that sentence. It seems to imply you are stubborn beyond reason.

I dont know what a white athlete would be viewed like. Not well. The thing is Vick is really good. That matters too. If he were a backup gimmick guy, there would be less hate.

Roethlisberger is vilified but not enough. I think id tend to agree. Ive been surprised with how little Roethlisberger has been targeted.

If you don't believe there was a major race element to the backlash of the Vick saga, you clearly don't know your country very well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:

Roethlisberger is a serial predator against women, yet he isn't as reviled as Vick. And what did Vick do? Participated in dogfighting, which- right or wrong- is considered a sport in certain places. I'm sure the racial component has something to do with it, but I think a love of dogs plays a bigger part. A lot of people like dogs more than humans. Ray Lewis participated in a murder and he isn't as hated as the dogfighter and they're both black.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:13 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Roethlisberger is a serial predator against women, yet he isn't as reviled as Vick. And what did Vick do? Participated in dogfighting, which- right or wrong- is considered a sport in certain places. I'm sure the racial component has something to do with it, but I think a love of dogs plays a bigger part. A lot of people like dogs more than humans. Ray Lewis participated in a murder and he isn't as hated as the dogfighter and they're both black.
There are two active professional athletes that have spent over 1 year in jail. No one cares about Burress and what he did. Lots of people care about Vick and what he did. I think your thoughts on the love of dogs are correct.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:15 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

If you don't believe there was a major race element to the backlash of the Vick saga, you clearly don't know your country very well.

How could you possibly get that from what I wrote?

Of course there is a racial element, Im not sure how MAJOR it was. I know outside of the race factor, this country seems to look at Dogs as near human. I think thats misguided but has a lot to do with the backlash

I just think its a silly way to think to say "No one can ever convince me ______"

I dont think this country is any more racist than other countries though. Its a human problem, not an American one, IMO

EDIT: I did not see JORR's points about human over love of dogs. He's right...as usual.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:17 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Did I word that wrong?

I meant to say I think Roethlisberger should be getting more HEAT

When I said I tend to agree, I meant agree with Cairo's thought about race making a difference

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

Are you implying that Dustin Rhodes is racist?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:
I meant to say I think Roethlisberger should be getting more HEAT

When I said I tend to agree, I meant agree with Cairo's thought about race making a difference

You were clear and I agree that race always makes a difference in America. But I just think in this particular case, the overriding factor in the continuing hatred of Vick is the love people have for dogs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:20 pm 

I almost want to frame Andy Dalton just to see what would happen...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:22 pm 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:

Are you implying that Dustin Rhodes is racist?

Yes. Here's the thing: I think in many cases, it's subconscious racism. I don't think he's actively being racist, but again, I believe that he (and others) wouldn't be as upset if the dogfighter in this case were a white player.