It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
What is the deal with these guys always going to Vegas to cover boxing matches? I still love boxing
although I haven't paid for a pay per view event for quite some time. Why do these guys always get
flown out there to cover this stuff when very few people even care about this sport anymore? Are
they just there doing double duty for another network or outlet like the newspaper?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:54 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Maybe they like the fights and they can con someone into letting them go out there or some sponsor into paying for the trip.

That's a big problem that I have with the media, particularly sports editors. They'll tell you more people are interested in "x", so that's why they give it more coverage. But that isn't really true. They cover what they are interested in. That's why Telander writes a full page about Dartmouth swimming while a championship fight gets about one inch of coverage.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
T-Bone wrote:
What is the deal with these guys always going to Vegas to cover boxing matches? I still love boxing
although I haven't paid for a pay per view event for quite some time. Why do these guys always get
flown out there to cover this stuff when very few people even care about this sport anymore? Are
they just there doing double duty for another network or outlet like the newspaper?

Its like when anyone does a remote at a bar. The purpose is to talk about the bar while on the air. Not sure, many of the bars understand this themselves, because they dont pay for it, the Beer companies do.

Same thing with the fight. It's just an advertisement.

Also havent paid to watch a fight in years. Which is why some marketing guy comes up with "Lets bring out the radio stations to talk about it, like the Super Bowl"