It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:23 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Anyone hear this? Holy shit, M&H are the worst. She carefully explained why the Cubs/Sox are playing during the week this year, and they kept berating it WHY NOT CHICAGO WAH WAH WAH CHICAGO IS SO IMPORTANT. Guess what, there ARE thirty teams. Not many outside of this city give a flying fuck when Cubs/Sox face off. She said its a schedule "glitch" in which these series HAVE to be 2-game sets, since there are now interleague games daily. Hopefully Mac or B&B replay this and rip these idiots

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:27 am 

Hawk wants a word with them

Cubs Sox does matter a little bit, Greg.

It was definitely better the way it used to be.

Most people seem unhappy with the new schedule makers

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:37 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
She was a Caller Bob.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:40 am 

Somehow NFL, NBA and NHL are capable of identifying their rivalries and putting them in marquee dates.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:43 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Somehow NFL, NBA and NHL are capable of identifying their rivalries and putting them in marquee dates.
Thread over.

They play 162 games a year. How can you struggle to fit 4 games into a place that doesn't render it completely meaningless in one of your most important markets?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:52 am 

I seem to remember a lot of bitching by hockey fans about rivalries not playing a few years ago, right?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:55 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
She was a Caller Bob.

And Mully is a whiny little petulant bitch.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Hawk was on a rampage during last night's game about this issue. I love an upset Hawk.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:05 am 

redskingreg wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
She was a Caller Bob.

I was under the impression acting like a frigid bitch is not an ideal quality for working in PR. M&H's job is to complain.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:07 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
redskingreg wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
She was a Caller Bob.

I was under the impression acting like a frigid bitch is not an ideal quality for working in PR. M&H's job is to complain.

Mully's "interview" style drives even the most level-headed people insane. Give her the benefit of doubt.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:37 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Kirkwood wrote:
She was a Caller Bob.

No. Mully was being an obtuse fool who believes the entire world should revolve around the NFL draft. Actually, it was misogyny on display since those two goofs have never once played hardball like that in an interview with a man.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:42 am 
Site Admin

And the Kasper interview was dumb too. "Samardzija was so great last night. That's why pitcher wins mean nothing." The willfull ignorance of the fact that Quintana was so "great" as well, along with various and sundry mediocre relief pitchers who were also "great" is exactly why a starter's wins are important. Leury Garcia would have had a low WHIP had he pitched in that game.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:46 am 

denisdman wrote:
Hawk was on a rampage during last night's game about this issue. I love an upset Hawk.

Having Hawk in your corner doesn't exactly strengthen one's argument.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:49 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
And the Kasper interview was dumb too. "Samardzija was so great last night. That's why pitcher wins mean nothing." The willfull ignorance of the fact that Quintana was so "great" as well, along with various and sundry mediocre relief pitchers who were also "great" is exactly why a starter's wins are important. Leury Garcia would have had a low WHIP had he pitched in that game.

Samardzija did pitch better than the average non winning pitcher last night

THe conditions helped, but he was also pretty good.

Saying Wins are meaningless is dumb though. I agree there.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:50 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
She was a Caller Bob.

No. Mully was being an obtuse fool who believes the entire world should revolve around the NFL draft. Actually, it was misogyny on display since those two goofs have never once played hardball like that in an interview with a man.

He mentioned the NBA & NHL playoffs and NFL Draft. MLB's arrogance and ignorance in full display. You're talking about the PR lady who got her job b/c her dad was president of the NL at one time?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:58 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Samardzija did pitch better than the average non winning pitcher last night

THe conditions helped, but he was also pretty good.

Saying Wins are meaningless is dumb though. I agree there.

I guess I could put it this way: If you have a large enough sample of decisions, W/L record doesn't require context. You need context for these other stats that a pitcher supposedly has more "control" over. Some kid looking at a box score for last night's game in the year 2112 is going to think Samardzija was "dominating". But anyone who watched last night knows that that wasn't particularly the case. Everyone who pitched in that game last night was "dominating". That isn't to say Samardzija wasn't good, but he wasn't particularly impressive either given the context and what every other pitcher did in the same game.

In horse racing we talk about things like "speed" and "class". I would suggest that a starter's W/L record is an indication of the pitcher's class, whereas his WHIP and ERA and K/9 would be similar to a racehorse's speed. Sometimes you'll see a race with really cheap horses go in a very fast time. Sometimes that cheap race will be faster than the top class event of the night. That doesn't mean that if the winner of that cheap claimer had been entered in the stakes race he would have won. His performance is not transferable. And neither is a pitcher's.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:00 am 

Im just saying that if you took the average stats of pitchers who failed to get a win, Samardzija was better than that last night (even taking the conditions into account)

He made some good hitters look silly

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:02 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
redskingreg wrote:
She said its a schedule "glitch" in which these series HAVE to be 2-game sets, since there are now interleague games daily.
Thats fine, then make it a 4 game set starting on Memorial Day, or the week of July 4th. It would seem you can play these 4 games just as easily from June 30- July 3rd as you can this week. Or play them Thurs -Sun, or Fri with the wrap around on Monday. It makes no sense to put one of THE marquee interleague series so early in the season at the time time of the NFL Draft. 4 of the 6 Yankees, Red Sox series are played over weekends this year.

In fact, I have the simplest fix. Sox play DBacks this weekend, Cubs play Braves. Have those respective series go Mon-Weds this week, then have Sox play the Cubs and Braves play Dbacks both Thurs- Sun. Done.

M&H are awful and I didn't hear this, but they were right to complain about this as was Hawk.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Tue May 06, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:03 am 
Site Admin

Kirkwood wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
She was a Caller Bob.

He mentioned the NBA & NHL playoffs and NFL Draft. MLB's arrogance and ignorance in full display. You're talking about the PR lady who got her job b/c her dad was president of the NL at one time?

I don't care who she was, she was explaining to those two goofs how difficult it is to make the schedule and they didn't want to accept it. It's far too complicated to plan for every contingency or other event that might be occurring eight months in advance. I'm going to see Shakespeare tonight. Should I scream at my wife who bought the subscription last year for not realizing the Sox/Cubs game was tonight and the Hawks were in the playoffs? Is Mully going to be at the baseball game or the hockey game tonight?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:04 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Im just saying that if you took the average stats of pitchers who failed to get a win, Samardzija was better than that last night (even taking the conditions into account)

Couldn't we say the same thing about Quintana though?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:05 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Absolutely

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:05 am 

So should the schedule makers pencil the Bulls into the NBA Finals? Or do they go the more realistic route and assume an ECF ousting? I loved her counterpoint that there are more than two teams in baseball. I laughed every time. I would love if Cubs/Sox opened up next year in Japan with six games. Really stick it to these jack offs.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:08 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
It makes no sense to put one of THE marquee interleague series so early in the season at the time time of the NFL Draft.

Solution: Turn off the draft.

What new draft info are you going to get that a twitter feed won't give you?

Last edited by Douchebag on Tue May 06, 2014 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:09 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
redskingreg wrote:
She said its a schedule "glitch" in which these series HAVE to be 2-game sets, since there are now interleague games daily.
Thats fine, then make it a 4 game set starting on Memorial Day, or the week of July 4th. It would seem you can play these 4 games just as easily from June 30- July 3rd as you can this week. Or play them Thurs -Sun, or Fri with the wrap around on Monday. It makes no sense to put one of THE marquee interleague series so early in the season at the time time of the NFL Draft. 4 of the 6 Yankees, Red Sox series are played over weekends this year.

In fact, I have the simplest fix. Sox play DBacks this weekend, Cubs play Braves. Have those respective series go Mon-Weds this week, then have Sox play the Cubs and Braves play Dbacks both Thurs- Sun. Done.

M&H are awful and I didn't hear this, but they were right to complain about this as was Hawk.

There are a litany of factors that go into the MLB schedule. Neither team specified that they wanted these games on a specific range of dates. Where's the outrage against Cubs and/or Sox management?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
redskingreg wrote:
So should the schedule makers pencil the Bulls into the NBA Finals? Or do they go the more realistic route and assume an ECF ousting? I loved her counterpoint that there are more than two teams in baseball. I laughed every time. I would love if Cubs/Sox opened up next year in Japan with six games. Really stick it to these jack offs.

:lol:

To rock my soul

pizza_Place: Milano's
Douchebag wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
It makes no sense to put one of THE marquee interleague series so early in the season at the time time of the NFL Draft.

how strong a guy's motor is and how big of a wingspan he has

100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I won't be watching the draft except for the Bears pick.

Greg, you would be the first one Dbagging MLB if your beloved Cardinals opened up the season in Japan or Cambodia or whatever MLB decides to play its Opening Day. Or say the Cardinals opened up the year with a 12 game road trip? Tough luck, schedule is tough. There is more than 1 NL team.

The schedule makers should at least know when the NFL draft is (which will get more ratings than probably 1/2 the MLB games on a given night), and know that some of the best matchups of the year (Cubs Cards, Sox Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Red Sox Yankees, etc) should be played on the weekend as much as possible.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Absolutely

Right, so my thought would be that it probably isn't coincidence that two starters plus a bunch of crappy relievers were all at the top of their game on the same night and that conditions had a whole lot to do with the pitching performances in the game.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:11 am 

redskingreg wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

There are a litany of factors that go into the MLB schedule. Neither team specified that they wanted these games on a specific range of dates. Where's the outrage against Cubs and/or Sox management?

I think management from both teams would prefer to host the games during the week. They will draw fairly well on the weekend against any team, but these games will fill the park during the week when they may otherwise struggle to draw anybody.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:11 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

No shit. I've never understood the love for the NFL Draft. Maybe it's because the team I root for usually has no first round picks :lol: Even when they did, I'd be on the golf course checking my phone for draft results. Large men in suits awkwardly embracing an old Jewish man does nothing for me.