It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
reents wrote:
If you like baseball more, than good, but when you look at the ratings of the events it just shows more people would watch a regular season football game than your championship series, which to me isn't good.

On the attendance thing, the diffrence is people that don't go to a football game, they watch at home, people that don't go to a baseball game, they don't watch.

If baseball had 16 games a year and it was on Sunday, that could help, but people that run baseball and those are the people that have done this to baseball, is the people you should be mad at for what they have done to the game.

To me on tonight's sporting events, I think it would be bigger if more people watched Texans-Colts than Giants-Rangers, because everybody doesn't get ESPN, they do get Fox, so I am actually more intrested in what the ratings are after tonight's game.

Texans/Colts will destroy it, even being on cable. Probably even in Texas.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
doug - evergreen park wrote:
Right...which is twice a year or so in Jacksonville.

Except that's not true either. Attendance at NFL games has dropped steadily over the past three seasons.

Look, here's my take on it. You have some hardcore football fans like Mac who really don't care about baseball. Yeah, he's a Sox fan the way John Cusack is a Sox fan. He'll be the first guy on the field after a World Series win and then take the next day off, but he's not really a fan of the game. Then you have guys like me who are baseball fans. I'm not really interested in the NFL but I follow the Bears and if they're good I follow them a little closer. Most people are more casual fans who follow the games in season. Mac and Jason did make a point about the length of the baseball season. And that's why I don't put much stock in the TV ratings. By the time football starts people have had the chance to watch as much baseball as they wanted for many months. And MLB has allowed the situation to exist where many fans feel their teams have no chance at the beginning of the season. And if the ever doubted that, by the time August rolls around, they know it's the case. Why would a Pirates fan give a fuck about Texas and San Francisco gibven the circumstances. MLB has allowed that to occur.

The NFL has promoted its product in a much better way. No one is arguing about the might of the NFL marketing machine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

Dude... you have no idea if that's true and using television ratings is a weak basis for stating such a case. There are ten times as many baseball games.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:47 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Dude... you have no idea if that's true and using television ratings is a weak basis for stating such a case. There are ten times as many baseball games.
Let's make this easy.

Give us how you would judge it. We'll then see how it accurately measures things we can all agree on(Colts are more "popular" than the Indianapolis Indians).

"I don't know" isn't an answer either. If you really don't know, then stop arguing about it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know is a legitimate answer. It's a fuckin' shame you never use it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:16 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I don't know is a legitimate answer. It's a fuckin' shame you never use it.
If I don't know something, I don't tell others they don't know it either. There are plenty of topics I am clueless on but I don't spend page after page arguing about those topics. Stick to the things you know.

Almost everyone agrees that the NFL is the most popular sport in America, and that there is a lot of evidence indicating that. Just because you don't know something doesn't mean that we don't.

That's the whole point. Now continue to argue yet another thing that you claim "you don't know".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
If I don't know something, I don't tell others they don't know it either. There are plenty of topics I am clueless on but I don't spend page after page arguing about those topics. Stick to the things you know.

You're doing it in this very thread. You don't know. And I don't find your comparisons relevant, regardless of whether or not a bunch of goofs agree with you. So I'll suggest the same to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/155080201

Major League Baseball
Total annual sports logo apparel spending: $2.02 billion

National Football League
Total annual spending: $1.68 billion

National Hockey League
Total annual spending: $409.5 million

National Basketball Association
Total annual spending: $324.3 million

Fans sure do like to buy shirts and caps for a less popular sport! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/155080201

Major League Baseball
Total annual sports logo apparel spending: $2.02 billion

National Football League
Total annual spending: $1.68 billion

National Hockey League
Total annual spending: $409.5 million

National Basketball Association
Total annual spending: $324.3 million

The NHL outselling the NBA is funnier.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:44 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I don't wear football jerseys in the summer because its too hot, and you are still wrong about the NFL.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I don't wear football jerseys in the summer because its too hot, and you are still wrong about the NFL.

I got it, Frank. Any evidence that doesn't support your conclusion is meaningless. I think one Cozstansa is a pretty small sample, don't you? :lol: I guess football is so popular people just don't need to buy the gear! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

You're something.

Did MLB just sign a BILLION dollar TV deal? No? Oh, because the NFL just did. For Monday Night Football. $2 billion per season for something like the next 8 or 9 years. Thats just for the Monday Night games.

So, the NFL is so popular and drives ratings so high that ESPN is paying the league $125mil per game so that they can broadcast it. Now that is just 1 game a week for 16 weeks. What you got like that on baseball?

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

I can't talk now, Frank. I have to go buy some caps and jerseys for a sport I don't like.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:57 pm 
100000 CLUB

Good job avoiding the question.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Good job avoiding the question.

I gave you enough credit to think you could figure it out. MNF has many eyeballs concentrated on a single game. That makes it more valuable to advertisers, thus more valuable to a network. The eyeballs viewing baseball are spread out among many games on many different days broadcast on many different channels.

Are you wearing a shirt from your second favorite sport today? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I gave you enough credit to think you could figure it out. MNF has many eyeballs concentrated on a single game. That makes it more valuable to advertisers, thus more valuable to a network. The eyeballs viewing baseball are spread out among many games on many different days broadcast on many different channels.

Fine then. Forget about ESPN. Its a valid point, but it still is a crazy amount of money. So, how about this one:

Quote:
Currently, three American terrestrial television networks CBS ($3.73B), NBC ($3.6B) and Fox ($4.27B), as well as cable television's ESPN ($8.8B) are paying a combined total of $20.4 billion[1] to broadcast NFL games through the 2011 season for CBS, Fox, and NBC and through 2013 for ESPN.

Now, before you say something stupid again, just forget about ESPN and NBC since they typically are the only ones televising a game when they do. BUT, FOX and CBS air multiple games at multiple times each and every Sunday. So, they have just one day a week to get all of those eyeballs, have many games to air at the same time, yet they are still paying BILLIONS (again, billions) of dollars every year for the rights to do so.

Also, I'm wearing my work uniform which according to you must mean that I love working for jagoffs.

Also, while trying to find any information whatsoever on MLB's TV deals, here was a story that was on the very first page of my Google search:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnis ... ings_N.htm

Must be a lot of people wearing an MLB hat watching football on Sundays.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Must be a lot of people wearing an MLB hat watching football on Sundays.

That's probably true since the weather outside is shitty and there's no baseball on TV.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:29 pm 

This thread needs to take back it's spot as the dominant thread in this section.
http://deadspin.com/#!5789875/no-ones-going-to-baseball-games-but-heres-why-mlb-isnt-concerned

I post this as an example as to why total attendance is a very poor metric for judging popularity.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
To add to this, you go to stubhub and can get tickets for like 3 dollars or less.

If the NFL wasn't in it's mess, the draft could be talked about more, because is turning out to be an intresting draft. Is Cam Newton really a number 1 pick.

Now, because of the lockout, I was hearing today about a team that's drafting in the top 5, just not making a pick until maybe around number 15 (Bengals was used as example).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This thread needs to take back it's spot as the dominant thread in this section.
http://deadspin.com/#!5789875/no-ones-going-to-baseball-games-but-heres-why-mlb-isnt-concerned

I post this as an example as to why total attendance is a very poor metric for judging popularity.

It's not a poor one. It's just one you prefer not to use. Actually, it's as good as any other metric.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:59 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Actually, it's as good as any other metric.
That's a false statement. There are limiting factors that make the comparison of total attendance imperfect. Your point on merchandise sales is actually much better than total attendance too since no one is turned away from buying merchandise but in both baseball and football there are people who would want to purchase a ticket but couldn't because of capacity limits.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
football is king in this country, i am a baseball fan and would like to see the season shortened to maybe 140 games..maybe even less..i want more football games 18 would be good eliminate 2 pre season games. i think most baseball fans would like the season shortened..no way possible baseball is america' #1 sport.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... ar-sport/1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Wait until Baseball expands the playoffs to add more games.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
football is king in this country, i am a baseball fan and would like to see the season shortened to maybe 140 games..maybe even less..i want more football games 18 would be good eliminate 2 pre season games. i think most baseball fans would like the season shortened..no way possible baseball is america' #1 sport.

Baseball is king in this country. That's why people get butt-hurt over steroids in baseball and couldn't give a fuck if a football player is juiced out of his asshole. That's why people buy far more baseball merchandise and attend more baseball games every year. Baseball is watched by more people on television. Football is simply concentrated into a small schedule. Naturally, the ratings for a particular game are going to be higher. An eight game schedule and many football teams can't even sell that out. How popular can it really be?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosangelos
Football's 'popularity" advantage over baseball has EVERYTHING to do with gambling. Agree with JOrr Baseball is king.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:06 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Baseball is king in this country.

Not this again. Say it as many times as you want and it still remains false.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:51 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

Baseball is king in this country. That's why people get butt-hurt over steroids in baseball and couldn't give a fuck if a football player is juiced out of his asshole. That's why people buy far more baseball merchandise and attend more baseball games every year. Baseball is watched by more people on television. Football is simply concentrated into a small schedule. Naturally, the ratings for a particular game are going to be higher. An eight game schedule and many football teams can't even sell that out. How popular can it really be?

the reason why i am anti steroid/peds more in baseball than football is individual records that could be compared from players who were 60 years apart is gone, the record books are a joke now. a bum like brady anderson hit 50 hr's..any dozens of other clowns cheated and ruined one of the best things the sport offered.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:54 am 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
the reason why i am anti steroid/peds more in baseball than football is individual records that could be compared from players who were 60 years apart is gone, the record books are a joke now. a bum like brady anderson hit 50 hr's..any dozens of other clowns cheated and ruined one of the best things the sport offered.

But you don't care about Eric Dickerson and Red Grange? You seem to be awfully emotionally invested in a sport you aren't interested in.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:59 am 

i love baseball,always interests me. but i just don't care about football stats..too much of a team game for stats..emmet smith is not a top 15 back all time..he has the rush record.. i don't even know who as the sack record and do not care. terry bradshaw sucked and won 5 rings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 466 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next