It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:42 pm 

Well, Ed, it has been widely griped about that they don't read enough emails. If not here, somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I'll let Jason give me a handjob anyday.... :wink: 8)
but, I have a feeling HHJ's better half wouldn't appreciate it.

oh...and ALL of my emails are clever. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:45 pm 

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:47 pm 

Wow, I never knew MacNeals and Coppocks back and forth lovey doveyness could get trumped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

Ed.

HHJ and I have met many times at remotes. We are what you might call "friends"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:50 pm 

with benefits apparently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

unfortunately....no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

Why all the panic? MJH has been on top for years and one bad ratings period and you want to scrap the show and start all over. It's the same show it's always been and to be honest I know a ton of people who tune in from 3 to 7pm and they have not switched the dial. I tried B&B for a bit and I can tell you it must be the Sox helping them out because that show barley had a heartbeat and is worse than I left it when they were doing mid-mornings.

I really put no stock in any ratings book and if stations want to hang their hat on ratings points then so be it. Give me your best from 3 to 7 and you'll have my ear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

Slap Shot ED wrote:
Why all the panic? MJH has been on top for years and one bad ratings period and you want to scrap the show and start all over. It's the same show it's always been and to be honest I know a ton of people who tune in from 3 to 7pm and they have not switched the dial. I tried B&B for a bit and I can tell you it must be the Sox helping them out because that show barley had a heartbeat and is worse than I left it when they were doing mid-mornings.

I really put no stock in any ratings book and if stations want to hang their hat on ratings points then so be it. Give me your best from 3 to 7 and you'll have my ear.

I agree with you about B&B, nothing there. However, the last few months the MJH show got arrogant about doing what they wanted to, even though a lot of people thought the overdose of Harry, the parodies and other crap detracted from the show they liked. What was the response from MJH-"if you don't like it, don't listen". Dumbass atitude and apparently, people took them up on that. So if you thought the last 4-5 months have been great radio, then you seem to be in a shrinking group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I'd say the last 18 months this show has been missing something it once had. It's still good but not like it used to be. For me, it's still a far better option than B&B.

Edit: Mustard is terrible. Tomato and bacon go on my grilled cheeses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:13 pm 

It's no surprise to this insider that things have gone down since the arrival of the new program director.

Perhaps MJH listeners have big coin and go on vacation during the last ratings book because they want to be around for Bears Camp and Season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

SID, I agree with you. If they want to give their listeners a reason or excuse to leave their show, their listeners will...and they apparently did. We have covered this ground before on this board, but nothing seems to change.

To be fair, MJH isn't alone in this idiotic thinking. I've heard B&B and other hosts also have that same dismissive attitude and express it in various ways....."we aren't for everybody; we can't please everybody; if you don't like us, don't listen", etc. These guys (and B&B and others) apparently need somebody to teach them the basics of customer satisfaction. The one thing you don't do in ANY business is say "I know we can't satisfy you so it is okay to go somewhere else for the product you want." That is essentially what MJH and guys at the Score are doing when they spout this arrogance.

And the results of this arrogant attitude toward their listeners is predictable. These two headline afternoon drive shows, combined, attract less than 10% of adult males. That's embarassing. They admit out loud that they don't care if people listen, and apparently 90% of adult males have taken these two shows up on it.

Last edited by Coast2Coast on Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
bacon on grilled cheese....yess! its too bad your already knocked up spaulding...and married :p

i made a grilled cheese on raisin bread once, and surprisingly, it was quite tasty.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

Coast2Coast wrote:
SID, I agree with you. If they want to give their listeners a reason or excuse to leave their show, their listeners will...and they apparently did. We have covered this ground before on this board, but nothing seems to change.

To be fair, MJH isn't alone in this idiotic thinking. I've heard B&B and other hosts also have that same dismissive attitude and express it in various ways....."we aren't for everybody; we can't please everybody; if you don't like us, don't listen", etc. These guys (and B&B and others) apparently need somebody to teach them the basics of customer satisfaction. The one thing you don't do in ANY business is say "I know we can't satisfy you so it is okay to go somewhere else for the product you want." That is essentially what MJH and guys at the Score are doing when they spout this arrogance.

And the results of this arrogant attitude toward their listeners is predictable. These two headline afternoon drive shows, combined, attract less than 10% of adult males. That's embarassing. They admit out loud that they don't care if people listen, and apparently 90% of adult males have taken these two shows up on it.

I agree with you, the showing of both stations is very weak in the overall market, yet the seem to think that only the 2 stations exist. To ignore so many other potential customers, just shows how limited their thinking really is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:36 pm 

With Bears Camp upon us, and the Cubs in the midst of a playoff run (with the White Sox faltering).... I'd say there's no advantage whatsoever for WSCR being the fagship station. Dicks on the tables hosts and beat reporters, may the best men win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Coast2Coast wrote:

You could call it arrogance, but what's the alternative? You wind up with the drivel that the national shows pawn off on us. Be everything to everybody. Don't take a stance on an issue for fear of alienating a portion of your audience. Don't criticize any sport too vigorously or listeners will tune out.

I'll "settle" for MJH.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

C_Howitt_Fealz wrote:
1. Eliminate the parody songs. They suck (to be polite), and whenever one starts, I change the dial to WGN.

2. Mac - you really need to be in studio. These extended "vacations" are certainly impacting the ratings - I've turned in once since you've been gone.

Anyone else?

Always a good idea to have the hosts of the show appear on that show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'd like to see some fantasy football talk. I don't want to hear people call in with their lineup questions, but maybe just have one segment a week (on Thursday or Friday) giving a few player matchups, sleepers for the week, matchups to avoid.

Also would like some type of gambling segment with actual reasoning behind the picks...bring a Coast2Coast (or someone like that) to discuss the college/NFL games.

No parody's - they suck, and aren't funny.

No Monday Night John - he's talented, and is good at it, but it needs to be cut back or eliminated.

Keep it to sports...that's why I'm listening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
[quote="Score is doomed
I agree with you about B&B, nothing there. However, the last few months the MJH show got arrogant about doing what they wanted to, even though a lot of people thought the overdose of Harry, the parodies and other crap detracted from the show they liked. What was the response from MJH-"if you don't like it, don't listen". Dumbass atitude and apparently, people took them up on that. So if you thought the last 4-5 months have been great radio, then you seem to be in a shrinking group.
[/quote]

I must live in a bubble or my 15 years of listening to Mac do shows have put the blinders on me when his show sucks.

I think
their best shows are the fall thru Winter when football is king but we all sat around and bitched after the Superbowl on how sports radio was going to suck balls this spring and we were correct. Being a Sox fan sucked and Mac being a Sox fan might of hurt the show because he lives and dies with them but I give them credit for keeping me entertained during a very boring LATE Winter and Spring.

AS you can see he must know things have slipped with him asking for our thoughts with his ask "Mac" SEGMENT. Still the only host in Chicago who actually gives a fuck what we think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:06 pm 

Suggestions? Ok...
Talk actual topics. Bonds. Vick. The Gambling Ref. That's meaty stuff guys. ***Cut down on the beerslob talk. To much 'guy' talk. And it's all way to pre-programmed because they did it already in the production meeting. ***Cut out that long-ass production meeting. You guys think to much there...way to much.***Eliminate Jurkos stupid bathroom humor and Harrys stupid jokes...never funny either.***Most important...be there. To many vacations and days off. Mac you talk way to much silly crap about caring about your listeners, yet accept gleefully all that time off(I'm not talking about suspensions). When your not there, I click out. Act like you care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:15 pm 

xstyle,
Did you seriously just ask for more Barry Bonds talk on ESPN radio? May I direct you to every national show, every sportscenter, and a significantly large portion of ESPN.com.

You know what I liked about the show today, the fact that it wasn't a ton of gloom and doom crap. This a terrible time for depressing sports topics. Personally, it has caused me to rethink some of my views on professional sports(I'm not naive enough to think college sports are immune) but I didn't think about any of that stuff during MJH today.

Sports is a diversion. It's not supposed to be as serious as it has been with Bonds, NBA, and Vick. I enjoyed sports talk radio today. In fact, the most enjoyable parts of Boers and Bernstein is when they are just being silly.

The show could use some small tweaks, primarily being that Harry needs to tone down his over the top love of certain topics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:11 am 

pizza_Place: Viccinos Pizza in Downtown Glenview.
xstyle wrote:
Suggestions? Ok...
Talk actual topics. Bonds. Vick. The Gambling Ref. That's meaty stuff guys. ***Cut down on the beerslob talk. To much 'guy' talk. And it's all way to pre-programmed because they did it already in the production meeting. ***Cut out that long-ass production meeting. You guys think to much there...way to much.***Eliminate Jurkos stupid bathroom humor and Harrys stupid jokes...never funny either.***Most important...be there. To many vacations and days off. Mac you talk way to much silly crap about caring about your listeners, yet accept gleefully all that time off(I'm not talking about suspensions). When your not there, I click out. Act like you care.

You're crazy. Watch the news if you want actual topics and meaty stuff. Again, don't listen to anyone on these message boards MJH.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:34 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
I gotta have more cowbell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:11 am 

I've got three words for you that will improve the show:

Harry and Spike!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:54 am 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
"Killer V"
I gotta have more cowbell.

Maury Buford seconds that motion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:31 pm 

Everybody does a good job bitching, and sometimes it gets us somewhere- we bitched and then got Uncle Rico & Rosenbloom.

For the next suspension I vote for Dr. Ken, Nas, and Coast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:22 pm 

To those that disagreed with me..cool but you suggested nothing. At least I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:51 pm 

1 move harry to work somewhere with Hood replace him with Finji- watch ratings go up.

2 Barring that, let Mac get off of the leash and management stop being pussies (more of a management suggestion there).

3 STOP THE GOD DAMN SINGING ALONG WITH BAD SONGS ON THE AIR !!! IT IS NOT ENTERTAINING!!

4 If you are gonna talk about scatalogical, locker room humor, make sure it is funny please (sometimes the show drops more bombs than hit Dresden in WWII)

I like the idea of a fantasy football section, but it should be focused on sleepers (if there are any of them left after the amount of data available to the average player via the internet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Another vote for stopping the GD parody songs.

I still say use more of the ESPN anylists to talk Chicago sports. Chet had on Barry Melrose the other day and it was very good. Have Golec on to talk ND football. Get Kruk on to talk White Sox. Talk to Digger. There are a lot of interesting folks that float around the periphery of an ESPN that would be good fodder for the grill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:09 am 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Another vote for stopping the GD parody songs.

I still say use more of the ESPN anylists to talk Chicago sports. Chet had on Barry Melrose the other day and it was very good. Have Golec on to talk ND football. Get Kruk on to talk White Sox. Talk to Digger. There are a lot of interesting folks that float around the periphery of an ESPN that would be good fodder for the grill.

I might never listen to the show again if you follow this suggestion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next