It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Quote:
I might never listen to the show again if you follow this suggestion.

Me, too.

The last thing I want is more Mike Golic on the radio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Is Slap Shot Ed is using a picture of STU as his avatar?

I know it's a picture of Bob Probert.

I'm in agreement, no analysts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:54 am 
1000 CLUB

[
Quote:
quote="Spaulding"]Is Slap Shot Ed is using a picture of STU as his avatar?

I know it's a picture of Bob Probert.

I really think he's gay for current and former Red Wings. His bathroom at Slappyland has a picture of Gordie Howe in a jock strap with his back to the camera. :wink:

I'm stopping in at Real Time for a cold one .I'll find you Grid..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Nino's in Wheeling
More of the off the cuff Top 5 lists. I find these interesting and thought provoking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:11 am 

Is the picture current or from his playing days?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:16 am 
1000 CLUB

[
Quote:
quote="Spaulding"]Is the picture current or from his playing days?
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: No , it's a picture of a 70 year old man's wrinkled ass. :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:24 am 

In that case, your friend is a sick, sick man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:25 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
bacon on grilled cheese....yess! its too bad your already knocked up spaulding...and married :p

get in line bub... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:53 pm 
My suggestions are as follows:

1 - No more god damn parody songs! They are an immediate p.t.d.

2 - Do NOT let Harry come up with any more topics. He's not funny at ALL, whatsoever.

3 - In fact, there should be at least one segment every day with Mac provoking the crap out of Harry. Questioning where he gets his knowledge from. Making him back up what he says...i.e. every Cubs team with a centerfielder who wears #20 has made the playoffs in his lifetime. What? While that's an interesting nugget and is true, come on. Harry needs more provoking.

4 - Talking about sports is great, but what about talking more sports history? You guys are right around my age...what about Jurko opening it up more about what it was REALLY like to play in the NFL. Or talking about the Bears in the 70s or 80s....or favorite NFL games that aren't popular on ESPN lists but were GREAT games...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Mac & Jurko - on 3-7
Harry - on 3-5
Finji - on 5-7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:35 pm 

Make Harry broadcast from a dunking booth. Each time he makes a nonsensical statement each of you gets an opportunity to hit the target and dunk Harry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:42 pm 

Replace Harry with Johnny Woo-Woo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
pastafajool wrote:

1 - No more god damn parody songs! They are an immediate p.t.d.

2 - Do NOT let Harry come up with any more topics. He's not funny at ALL, whatsoever.

3 - In fact, there should be at least one segment every day with Mac provoking the crap out of Harry. Questioning where he gets his knowledge from. Making him back up what he says...i.e. every Cubs team with a centerfielder who wears #20 has made the playoffs in his lifetime. What? While that's an interesting nugget and is true, come on. Harry needs more provoking.

4 - Talking about sports is great, but what about talking more sports history? You guys are right around my age...what about Jurko opening it up more about what it was REALLY like to play in the NFL. Or talking about the Bears in the 70s or 80s....or favorite NFL games that aren't popular on ESPN lists but were GREAT games...

1. Parody songs are fine, just no more busting out into song over a players name.
2. AGREED
3. Harry is a lot of things, and I truly feel his role could be played more effectively by someone else, but you have to give Harry credit for watching a lot of sports... he watches, unfortunately, his brain does not fire on all cylinders cause he often comes to insane and ridiculous conclusions.
4. History - I don't believe in living in the past...only cowards and losers live in the past.

good dolphin wrote:
Make Harry broadcast from a dunking booth. Each time he makes a nonsensical statement each of you gets an opportunity to hit the target and dunk Harry.

Now that's a good idea, except let's use electro-shock therapy instead of the dunk tank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:13 pm 

pastafajool wrote:

Actually in 1998 Matt Miske wore number 20, while Lance "One-Dog" Johnson (#1) and Brant "Oh-no, he dropped the ball, no!!!" Brown (#37) patrolled center field for the Cub. Harry doesn't need provoking he needs a work ethic.

A--A Leafblower

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
hawkeye wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Free Friday Cheese Giveaway Spectacular.

I'm hungry now. Think I'll make a grilled cheese. Anyone else dip their grilled cheeses in yellow mustard? If you haven't, give it a try it will change your life and make your wife better looking.

I actually put salsa on my grilled cheese. Yum.

And rice....do joo prefer mac n cheez instead of rice?
No....tampoco.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:47 pm 

Chus wrote:
No....tampoco.

cerveza light!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Chus wrote:
No....tampoco.

Hang on. I'll ask my tia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
si meijo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
doug - evergreen park wrote:
si meijo

I think we should a segment where we can vote for the most irritating ad running on the station. Whoever "wins" isn't run for the rest of the show... They're "fired"!

"Si Meijo" deserves some parody versions -- any sister who always sez "yes" without paying any mind is due for some abuse, at least in MY family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:21 pm 

As I stated once before (too lazy to provide the link) I would like to see Jurko actually preview/break down a few NFL games. Not from a fantasy POV, but to provide a former player's analysis of interesting games.

I also feel that the "all day" C@XL Tuesday is too much a scatter approach. The segment improved after they dropped the restrictions, but I think that a lot of us focused on getting out emails/calls to them at a specific time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:21 am 

The overemphasis that is placed upon football is the major issue that I have with the show. I know that football is extremely important to the sports landscape, but the constant talk about number of days until pads becomes annoying after awhile. There are a number of boring football games, yet rarely will you hear Dan McNeil state this when he goes on his tangents. Instead they choose to criticize the broadcast team, rather than the game itself. Conversely, I will hear McNeil continuously criticize the NBA, whether it is an exciting game, playoff series etc. His continuous cry of wake me when the NBA playoffs are over began to wear on me after awhile. I will defy him or anyone else to name one NFL playoff game from last year's playoffs which could be considered exciting. The oversaturation of football once its season begins i.e. three hour pre- and post game shows, one hour fantasy football shows, non stop player interviews, has led me to not only dislike talk radio, it has caused me to lose interest in the sport itself. MJH are amongst the biggest perpetrators of this, in my opinion.

Last edited by long time guy on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:30 am 

long time guy wrote:
I will defy him or anyone else to name one NFL playoff game from last year's playoffs which could be considered exciting.

Off the top of my head, every Bears game, but that's because I'm a Bears fan. The AFC had a few, including Pats-Colts and Chargers-Patriots.

What about the Cowboys-Seahawks where the game ended on a fumbled snap and a run for a 2 point conversion. If Romo scores, they win, but he gets tackled 2 yards short and season is over.

Football season is awesome and I can't get enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:36 am 

Even the Colt-Chief game was good. It was supposed to be an offensive explosion and ended up as a defensive battle.

Raven-Colts was good as well.

This year's AFC playoffs are going to be amazing. Chargers, Colts and Patriots would all be worthy champions. Also I would love to see LT play against the Pats after last years Marion dance on the lightning bolt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:38 am 

Agreed Rick. Not sure where "this is my first post and I had to edit it long time guy" is really going with that post....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:43 am 

The miscues which occurred in those games may lead one to consider them exciting, yet they were not particularly well played games. The high volume of turnovers, especially considering that these were playoff teams, took a little of the luster off the excitement quotient for me. There have not been a lot of great games played during much of the Super Bowl era, yet we constantly hear how great a game football is. I heard him state this during this year's NBA playoffs, which up until the Horry incident were exciting to me and a whole lot of people. It's ok to be biased, but when your bias begins to cloud your judgment as a sports prognosticator, then there is a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:54 am 

long time guy,
Did you miss the Colts-Patriots game? The Colts made a big comeback and won a game over a team that is the closest thing to a dynasty that there has been since the cowboys/49ers of the 80's/90's. That was a great game.

The Chargers and Patriots was almost as good.

You are right, there were a few bad games, including the Seahawks-Bears game, but there were at least 3 memorable games from last season(Super Bowl and the other two that I mentioned).

As for the NBA playoffs, I only enjoyed the Bulls series because I am a Bulls fan but they destroyed Miami and then got beat up pretty good by the Pistons(the series was over when they went down 0-3).
Golden State, Phoenix, and Lebron James were the only exciting thing in the NBA playoffs. The Spurs, while a great team, are not fun to watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
Spaulding wrote:
In that case, your friend is a sick, sick man.

NO such picture Spaulding. I have a few autographed pictures of some Red Wings (Probert , Kocur, Cheli )and former Blues enforcer Tony Twist and they are all wearing unifroms..... Mac gave me a really cool game used hockey stick mirror that also hangs in my bathroom as well but no naked hockey players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:08 pm 

long time guy wrote:
I will defy him or anyone else to name one NFL playoff game from last year's playoffs which could be considered exciting.

not just because i'm a saints fan, but Saints/Eagles was damn exciting. Colts/Patriots, one of the best comebacks in the NFL playoffs, especially at that level. I still say the Bears/Colts Superbowl was a great one. The elements were finally involved. I like watching football in the rain.

Quote:
The oversaturation of football once its season begins i.e. three hour pre- and post game shows, one hour fantasy football shows, non stop player interviews, has led me to not only dislike talk radio, it has caused me to lose interest in the sport itself. MJH are amongst the biggest perpetrators of this, in my opinion.

I agree with this, especially the way ESPN dedicates shows during the summer to the NFL "experts" to pick the coming season's playoff contenders and eventual Super Bowl champion. It's a waste of time, and it's not even fun to watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:29 am 

It is difficult for me to argue that the Bears-Colts Superbowl was an exciting one, given the number of turnovers committed on both sides. The Bears were thoroughly outplayed in that game. This is difficult for me to admit, because I too am a lifelong Bear and Football fan. My basic point is that the amount of attention that is paid to football by sports talk radio, particularly during periods when there are other major sports in play, makes it a difficult listen for me. I don't need hourly updates on how Tommie Harris did in the nutcracker drill in practice or how Mushin Muhammed ran the slant pattern, or Rex Grossman's completion percentage in a 7 on 7 drill. It difficult for me to comprehend how a person can advocate such discussion, yet state that the NBA playoffs, which contained first round series that had compelling matchups particularly in the Western conference (Golden State- Dallas) (Utah- Houston). Even in the Second Round you had (San Antonio- Phoenix) (Utah-Golden State). McNeil consistently makes this argument regarding boredom, regardless of the scenario, simply because he does not like basketball. I just believe the show would be better if football was not as emphasized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:32 am 
1000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
It is difficult for me to argue that the Bears-Colts Superbowl was an exciting one, given the number of turnovers committed on both sides. The Bears were thoroughly outplayed in that game. This is difficult for me to admit, because I too am a lifelong Bear and Football fan. My basic point is that the amount of attention that is paid to football by sports talk radio, particularly during periods when there are other major sports in play, makes it a difficult listen for me. I don't need hourly updates on how Tommie Harris did in the nutcracker drill in practice or how Mushin Muhammed ran the slant pattern, or Rex Grossman's completion percentage in a 7 on 7 drill. It difficult for me to comprehend how a person can advocate such discussion, yet state that the NBA playoffs, which contained first round series that had compelling matchups particularly in the Western conference (Golden State- Dallas) (Utah- Houston). Even in the Second Round you had (San Antonio- Phoenix) (Utah-Golden State). McNeil consistently makes this argument regarding boredom, regardless of the scenario, simply because he does not like basketball. I just believe the show would be better if football was not as emphasized.

I agree with you, but more specifically to baseball (not a huge NBA ffan myself) when football preseason is getting started. Baseball is largely forgotten and we get updates on every little thing with the NFL. This is catering to their audience though as I think the majority of sports radio listeners would rather have NFL talk (on field, gambling, and fantasy) than discuss other sports. That's where the demand is and they need to do it for the ratings. Plus it's what they like doing most and are probably best at.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next